PDA

View Full Version : 'Wii is a virus', says ex-DICE boss

wraggster
February 27th, 2010, 20:13
Ex-DICE boss Fredrik Liliegrin has labeled Nintendo Wii a "virus" - and said that the platform holder knows it is "not a video games machine".

Liliegrin now runs a company called Antic Entertainment, which produces 'casual games for the hardcore'.

He told GamingUnion: "Wii, to me, I would describe it as a virus, that doesn't stick. Everyone comes home, it's a toy, people have got to realise the Wii is a toy, not an entertainment-focused product.

"People come home, someone, they play Wii for a bit, feel it's really cool, blah blah blah, they go out and buy one. Ask people how often they play the Wii, that are not the core game consumer that buys one because they have an Xbox 360 and a Wii or a PlayStation 3 and a Wii.

"The people that only own the Wii, ask that consumer how often they use their machine. They just don't use it, it was cool, but they're not gamers, so they put it away.

"Other than the Wii Fit phenomenon that helped a lot of people get a nice cutie voice telling that they're fat and need to go work out, they need to find other alternatives. Nintendo is smart in that way in that they realize this is not a video game machine, this is not a games game machine."

Blimey. Don't mince your words, mate...

Wii 'not a video games machine'? What's all this about then?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=236846?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

fook123
February 27th, 2010, 22:35
"have got to realise the Wii is a toy, not an entertainment-focused product. "

So Toys are not entertainment focused products?

VampDude
February 28th, 2010, 22:37
"Other than the Wii Fit phenomenon that helped a lot of people get a nice cutie voice telling that they're fat and need to go work out, they need to find other alternatives. Nintendo is smart in that way in that they realize this is not a video game machine, this is not a games game machine."

Reminds me of how Nintendo marketed the N.E.S. to a market that didn't want a games console after the crash of 1983, they used the robot to market the console. Although R.O.B. was only good for two games, thus bringing the N.E.S. into peoples homes and bringing an audience into video gaming.

The Wii is not a 'games' game machine, nor a video game machine... But an entertainment system, which provides entertainment aswell as great games.

Hypershell
February 28th, 2010, 23:37
I think New Super Mario Bros. Wii wants a word with this guy.

JDvorak
March 1st, 2010, 15:22
Wow what harsh words considering there are hardcore games on Wii! Look at the new Silent Hill Shattered Memories, although I much prefer to play it on PS2 it is available on Wii as well. I just don't get it, just because the Wii is full of casual games that makes it not a video game console, but rather a toy. A toy that the kids get tired of and ends up under their bed. Come on that is silly. I have owned nearly every console system that came out since we got our Apple II+ computer and Atari 2600 in the late 70's and I can tell you the Wii is not a toy. It may not have the graphics of the Xbox's or Playstations of the world but it is still a fun video game console. My only gripe is getting the Wiimotes to work all the time with the sensor bar. But if you look at the games on the Wii and the Xbox 360/PS3 a lot of the games are the same on all three systems. So there are hardcore gamers and then there is the grandma who bought a Wii to play with her grandkids. True the grandma may not play it when the kids aren't there, but when they are I'm sure they ask to use it. And I am sure they don't treat it as a toy or we would see a lot more broken units. At least with all the plastic attachments the kids can take their aggression out on each other or the cat!! And that would make them hardcore gamers. Hee hee, just kidding. But to call the Wii a virus is insane!!

I'm sure if this guy was developing for the Wii and making a profit he would have a different story about it!

Qmark
March 1st, 2010, 16:18
Just another graphics whore who is angry at the world for making Wii popular instead of a "proper" system.