PDA

View Full Version : Comic-Con 2006: PSP aka PS3 Remote And New Firmware Next Week

wraggster
July 22nd, 2006, 00:07
News from IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/720/720194p1.html)

If you took the time to attend Sony's PSP University at the San Diego Comic Con this morning here is the only news of note you missed.

Turns out the PSP will work as a remote for the PS3. According to the speaker it will have additional functionality and interactivity with Sony's next-gen PlayStation 3, but more details weren't revealed.
Other info and bullet points you missed (not much news to anyone who has kept up):

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror and Pursuit Force are "great games" and "great reasons to own a PSP."

Ads for PSP Greatest Hits Collection which will be released on July 25.

Clips from upcoming games like Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters, U.S. Navy S.E.A.L.S. Fireteam Bravo 2, and Gangs of London (all of which look pretty cool).

Movie Trailers of movies coming to UMD format like Napoleon Dynamite and Office Space

PSP's firmware update next Thursday will offer RSS Video feed support for its web browser (it already supports RSS audio feed)

Thursday's firmware update will also have a demo of World Tour Soccer 2

There are no plans to improve text entry on the PSP and no plans for a first-party keyboard

Sony is in discussion with wireless providers to create more internet hotspots for your PSP to connect easily to the web

Video out is something they know is important and are working on getting done

Sony Connect is working on a way to provide downloadable movies (similar to the music they currently provide), but are held up trying to find a system to protect intellectual properties

If you stuck around through to the end of class Sony handed out 32MB Memory Sticks with demos and game trailers, too. Score!

neoalucard
July 22nd, 2006, 00:17
office space and napoleon dynamite have been out for awhile on psp..

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 22nd, 2006, 00:19
Was only a matter of time before they released a new Fw after 2.71 has been cracked im amazed it took this long.

emuking
July 22nd, 2006, 00:35
Was only a matter of time before they released a new Fw after 2.71 has been cracked im amazed it took this long.

this firmware update is cool because it will support rss video feed, yes finally the rss features are complete you can now stream video on your psp through rss or save it to your memory stick, yay, i hope booster can crack this new firmware update :D

nielsss
July 22nd, 2006, 00:49
yay i bought my second psp yesterday and now i will have a 1.50 psp and a psp with the latest firmware

the one and only
July 22nd, 2006, 01:09
yay another firmware with no hugely decent features, we want decent games, not trailers :(

TeamOverload
July 22nd, 2006, 01:24
I am at 2.71 :( so I will have to decide whether or not to update.

GeEkPiE
July 22nd, 2006, 01:30
office space and napoleon dynamite have been out for awhile on psp..

napoleon dynamite, woooooooooooooooooooooo

Alucard
July 22nd, 2006, 01:38
I really wonder how long Sony would have waited to give us the RSS feeds if it wasn't for 2.71 getting hacked?

I thank the fine people who get us hacked firmware, because in my eyes they get Sony to release something worth while in their firmware.

They couldn't just release 2.72 (or whatever it will be called) and just say, this is to fix the new exploits that were found. Please install this.

GeEkPiE
July 22nd, 2006, 01:39
I am at 2.71 :( so I will have to decide whether or not to update.

:( well ur screwed already as far as homebrew is concerned so you may as well upgrade, but of course there is always the option of the undiluted platinum chip.

the one and only
July 22nd, 2006, 01:44
my philosiphy is stay at the lowest firmware you can, even if it is 2.71, for one day we shall crack it and you shall be kicking yourself

mavsman4457
July 22nd, 2006, 02:21
Sony should make their own modchip. Then sell custom firmwares that are actually good rather than their own crappy firmwares. This will make it so they don't lose money on the modchip. Yah right! Anyways, about the PS3 they say that it will be 100% backwards compatible. How sweet would it be if it actually was and played PSP games! Probably not that sweet but I bet not many people have thought about it, and that makes me proud of myself. Well actually it might semi-salvage the UMD's if they could be played at a half decent resolution.

l Zero Fox l
July 22nd, 2006, 02:43
i bet that the update will be 2.80, btw i was looking around in the 2.71 flash0 and there is an empty folder called “gps“ so maybe there will be minor gps support in the next update? But there definetly will be a gps on 3.00! what you guys think?

TeamOverload
July 22nd, 2006, 03:46
There are already gps prx files in 2.7/2.71.

IndianCheese
July 22nd, 2006, 04:05
yoink!

u think these fw files will be encrypted in the same way?

the one and only
July 22nd, 2006, 04:13
um, no

nyrtrublue
July 22nd, 2006, 04:32
Rally the troops!
Alex and Booster to your positions!
Prepare for battle!

Pssssst if you find a way to crack the firmware dont release it so sony doesnt add encryption or some shit like that fanjita is doing the same thing with the eloaders.

I dont know which position to take

m0dm0use
July 22nd, 2006, 08:20
leave the update for a few weeks I'm sure I read devhook would load 2.xx firmaware so it shouldnt be a problem once this one has beeen decripted, unless its 3.00 then it's :eek: dev hooks death

GobboFett
July 22nd, 2006, 08:24
Wow, another boring FW release by Sony Z_Z

tophead420
July 22nd, 2006, 12:13
iv known about the psp being the ps3 remote for along time now i think i read about it in gamepro mag or a mag along those lines and anyclue on what the fw will be other then the new rss feed stuff and the game demo. can you take the game demo out for play on anther fw or is it specificaly for that fw just wondering lol

mog
July 22nd, 2006, 14:48
I'm betting on 2.80 being the new firmware version number? :)

Ah well, firmware updates are pointless...
But with each new firmware update comes the possiblity that there may nice new security holes.

So, will anyone be giving up fw 1.50 for these new amazing features? :rolleyes:

pkmaximum
July 22nd, 2006, 18:03
Hmmmm if it is possible to crack this new firmware I would say its not the best idea to do it. Because if SONY finds out that they can crack their new firmware coming that is probaly what they are semi hoping for because then they can see their errors and then they will have everything patched up for firmware 3.0. Like emulating 2.71 firmware was probaly not a good idea because now they are releasing a new firmware that will only have more security than the last one. =O

So I say if it is possible to crack this firmware we shouldn't until firmware 3.0 is out!

TCLCloud
July 22nd, 2006, 22:00
The ability to do RSS video feeds will be pretty good though, Ricky Gervais does his podcasts in videos and so do sky sports news i think.... also a new demo to play, not bad, cant complain if its free although they should release one every week or two rather than every 5 or 6 weeks.....

2.80 it'll be perhaps?