PDA

View Full Version : Developers ditching PS3 for Wii and 360

wraggster
July 22nd, 2006, 11:37
Gamedaily BIZ has a nice little feature up where they ask if Sony can do something that someone has never done before: dominate the industry for three generations. Based on a report run by BusinessWeek Online, they analyze Sony's high-priced offering and claim that developers are instead diverting resources to the more cost-effective Xbox 360 and Wii. To quote the article:

"At its autumn games preview on July 13, for instance, traditional Sony ally Electronic Arts spent far more time showing off innovative Nintendo games than it did titles for the PS3," emphasized BusinessWeek. "EA announced six Nintendo Wii launch titles and showed long working demos for two of those. But it offered only a short clip of a car-racing game for PS3. EA says it's still testing the potential of the PS3."

Makes sense since the development costs are already extremely high as it is and with the incredibly-cheap process by which developers can make games on the Wii, a process more expensive on the Xbox 360, however less expensive than on the PS3, we're sure to see this occur even more should the Wii strike gold once released to retail.

stotheamuel
July 22nd, 2006, 20:21
hmm... i think development costs will go down in a few years.... then ps3 bluray.. (and hopefully psp) will all rise to the top... atleast i hope so.

BlueCrab
July 23rd, 2006, 04:09
I don't see PS3 holding the market share that the PS2 did. The average person may not even be able to afford a PS3, and if the game companies aren't gonna dump the money into it to develop for it, you end up with a very expensive paperweight. Just like what happened with the SegaCD and 32x.

I may be wrong, but at the same time I may be right. I still haven't bought a PS2, and won't buy one any time soon. I probably will never buy a PS3. I do plan on getting a Wii, hopefully on release day.

Junixx
July 23rd, 2006, 06:17
Yes i think that since its going to be more expensive to develop for the PS3, if a game is a flop, the company would lose more money, but if it was a flop on Wii or 360, although they would still lose money, it would not be as much, also if the bluray developing cost went down, theres a good chance that the developing costs of the others will have gone down also

I got a PS2 recently and have been playing DDR constantly though lol, still watiing to play kingdom hearts though...

pubjoe
July 23rd, 2006, 09:45
I think the cell chip is very difficult to program for and to fully utilise. This would be fine if the PS3 was so popular that it's worthwhile for programmers to spend a lot of time coding for it and we would see it's potential increase over the coming years.

However, if it is priced out of the popular market, who would waste all that time and effort developing for it, especially if the product will only reach a select few 'finicky' audience - who have already blown all their christmas (and next birthday's) money!?

the wii is just like developing on the gamecube with the addition of new control options, that I think will excite and inspire developers.

The xbox 360, again is a natural hardware upgrade similar to PC, and coders are already used to using multiple cores. It also fills the gap left by wii for more adult, graphically demanding games like FPShooters.

PS3 is a big effort and risk to reach a potentially small elite and fussy market and the steep learning curve of the cell will just annoy developers and stear them away.

For half the price of a PSŁ (whoops forgot to let go of shift) - you have wii360, which covers everything and more... with cheaper games... and some variety and diversity on the wii. ...And let's face it, the 360 isn't that much less powerful than the PS3 and will easily give you your HD graphics fix.

...imo

Video_freak
July 23rd, 2006, 15:31
wow you should publish articles :)

i couldnt agree more on everything you said !

SSaxdude
July 23rd, 2006, 16:05
Since development costs are extremely high these days, we will see many games for both 360 and PS3. !!M (Wii mirrored upside down) will probably see tons of ports since it will be cheap to do. Add in the fact of the "classic" Wii controller, porting games to Wii is even easier.

philr359
July 23rd, 2006, 23:10
wow pubjoe hit the nail on the head!

you wont see me buying a ps3. xbox360 + wii is a better choice. also, my third ps2 died yesterday as did my faith in sony

laval0rd
July 31st, 2006, 08:27
www.wii60.com

They got the idea there too!