PDA

View Full Version : shanzhai PSP Phone dampens our excitement for an actual PSP Phone

wraggster
March 4th, 2010, 13:59
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/03/100302-psphonekirf-03.jpg

When one thinks of a PSP Phone, they usually imagine a handset with a number of cool, gamer-centric features, such as some sort of integration with the PlayStation network or -- imagine! -- the ability to actually play PSP games. What they don't imagine -- correct us if we're wrong -- is some sort of KIRFy cellphone shoved inside what is essentially the shell of a PSP. That said, we do have to give our friends in Shenzhen some props: not only have they beat Sony with this knock-off, but with the way things are going, they might have the PSP Phone market all to themselves in perpetuity. No specifics on this one yet -- price, stats, or street date -- but you probably weren't going to buy one anyways.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/02/keepin-it-real-fake-part-cclviii-shanzhai-psp-phone-dampens-o/

mike_jmg
March 4th, 2010, 15:43
Knock off or whatever, it looks kinda cool
Imagine someone sees you on the street talking through something that looks like a PSP... they'd be like WTF??

:rofl:
I would definitely get one if this ever takes off

symbal
March 4th, 2010, 15:53
Be alright if they put the Dingoo or GP2X OS on one of these but it's probably gonna use the same system on chip and emulators as a thousand others, hopefully not though and at least it's a start.

PLZKLLME0080
March 4th, 2010, 18:18
Its probably gonna be a cheap piece of junk, if they are just sticking it in a PSP shell. They probably don't even have Sony's permission, making them produce only similar looking shells or taking off the PSP logo's.

VampDude
March 4th, 2010, 18:34
There have been PSP style phones (from Hong Kong) since at least 2006, many of which boast features such as full speed NES, SNES and Genesis emulation.

HShin
March 20th, 2010, 11:30
It isn't hard to figure out. What they'd do is smack a PSone emulator inside a WinMob phone, which is housed in a knockoff PSP shell. Why PSP shell? Beats me. But there are only so many Apple knockoffs that even the Chinese can tolerate, would be my best guess.