PDA

View Full Version : And now for NeoDCv1!

DCEmu_Newsposter
January 1st, 1970, 01:00
http://www.screamcast.net/boards/viewtopic.php?p=1282#1282

PAL users should definetly pick this up as it offers more significant improvements for them, but the screen stretching fix should be enough for anyone

Hope you all like it.

Kamjin
January 13th, 2005, 23:56
This is surprisingly nice! I especially like the "removal" of the SDL bit. Been a little while since I actually had time to play with the dreamcast. You've just given me a good excuse ;D

quzar
January 14th, 2005, 00:01
make no mistakes, it still contains SDL, but im making an effort to remove SDL from it. There are only three major components that use it: the CDDA playing, the controller interface, and sound. Considering sound still doesnt work, and i have rewritten copies of each of the others in plain kos, NeoDC v2 should be SDL free.

wraggster
January 14th, 2005, 01:23
excellent news :)

spreading the news all over the net as we speak

MetaFox
January 14th, 2005, 01:40
huzzah!

I've posted the news at the few places on the net that Wraggster doesn't have access to. :P

milfzor
January 14th, 2005, 01:53
ive been testing out his builds he's done before this and ive been seeing the improvement little by little........but yea, he's done great things with it so far, and i have faith he will continue to improve on it even more.......

arqueiro
January 14th, 2005, 05:12
wonderfull qusar ! ;D

WHurricane16
January 14th, 2005, 05:26
I'm not a big Neo CD emulator guy (nor a big fan of Quzar) but I have to give props when I see it. Just reading the improvements it sounds like you are working hard on this and I respect that. Keep up the good work ;)

BaldMonk
January 14th, 2005, 08:27
How can you not be a fan of Quzar?? He's done great things for the scene, and is an ace guy to boot ;)

Can't wait to try it... thanks mate.

evilo
January 14th, 2005, 10:56
make no mistakes, it still contains SDL, but im making an effort to remove SDL from it. There are only three major components that use it: the CDDA playing, the controller interface, and sound. Considering sound still doesnt work, and i have rewritten copies of each of the others in plain kos, NeoDC v2 should be SDL free.

hmm you didn't reused the code from the ps2 port to implement sound ?

damn..
dc port has CDDA but no SFX
ps2 port has no CDDA but has SFX !

funny !!

quzar
January 14th, 2005, 14:23
I'm not a big Neo CD emulator guy (nor a big fan of Quzar) but I have to give props when I see it. *Just reading the improvements it sounds like you are working hard on this and I respect that. *Keep up the good work ;)

how... passive agressive of you :P

hmm you didn't reused the code from the ps2 port to implement sound ?

damn..
dc * port has CDDA but no SFX
ps2 port has no CDDA but has SFX !

funny !!

at one point i had the newer z80 core running in it, but was still unable to get any sound out of it. The Dreamcast does not have the same type of function to do what you did in the ps2 port.

This was actually ready for release as a thanksgiving release, but testers reported that it just restarted their DCs (turns out it HAS to be selfbooted). I thought though it was being caused by the extensive changes i had made with the sound stuff, so I ended up scrapping those changes. I'll definetly be using what i learned from your PS2 experiments in the next version.

GPF
January 14th, 2005, 16:33
has anyone tried any homebrew neo geo cd?

I found one @ http://www.pdroms.de/file_details.php?fn=1198

and made an iso of it and it boots in the older PC version of NeoGeo SDL .31, was wondering if anyone has tried it on the dreamcast? or if they know of anyother homebrew links?

Troy

Florre
January 14th, 2005, 18:01
quzar! Just wanted to say thanks for working so hard with the DC scene! Keep the good work up 8)

zerotype
January 15th, 2005, 10:41
Yea quzar. Good thing we kinda figured that out :D.
It is a great release. He also solved that problem of resetting w/o a vu in it. Which is great. Not to mention the great speed increases.

Christuserloeser
January 15th, 2005, 13:13
Yeah, you've done a good job *:)

and made an iso of it and it boots in the older PC version of NeoGeo SDL .31, was wondering if anyone has tried it on the dreamcast? or if they know of anyother homebrew links?

Troy

No, but I already downloaded that to try it out... There was a freeware beta of a commercial game that i have too.

For a CDI release, we'd still need the BIOS anyway *:-/

LyonHrt
January 15th, 2005, 18:45

No, but I already downloaded that to try it out... There was a freeware beta of a commercial game that i have too.

A beta of a commercial game is still illegal to distrubte however.
But yeah, needed bios.

Eric
January 15th, 2005, 21:49
Okay i am going to try and type this again cause for some reason my posts havent been able to submit. I would like to say that its great to see that you could keep this project going. Also that its been great to see you have been more noticeble with your projects since i believe the summer of last year and you have done a great job on those projects aswell. I hope to see more compatibility with the Dos emu as the one for Xbox uses the keyboard and is a little harder for a newbie like me to work with. Yours might be easier. I hope to see more great things from you and dont let anyone bother you about your work just keep it up.

Eric

GPF
January 15th, 2005, 22:06

ok, yeah I just wanted to know for development purposes. If homebrew Neo Geo CD works in the emu, then we have a development tool to do that :)

Troy

GPF
January 16th, 2005, 13:49

Troy

I tried it out and it works fine in the dreamcast. Just had to make a couple of changes to the code to get it to compile with a kos 1.3 and newer toolchain.

Troy

GPF
January 18th, 2005, 15:45
I tried it out and it works fine in the dreamcast. Just had to make a couple of changes to the code to get it to compile with a kos 1.3 and newer toolchain.

Troy

well here is a screenshot of the neo geo cd homebrew running in my build of neogeodc under Chankast.

here is a link to an iso of the demo that works for me, just burn it to a cd. Boot NeoGeoDC and swap it in, all it does is the below screen and you can move a sprite around.
http://s101533388.onlinehome.us/GPF/neogeocddemo.iso

again the original demo and source code is by Charles Doty can be downloaded at http://www.pdroms.de/file_details.php?fn=1198 *

Troy

http://s101533388.onlinehome.us/GPF/neogeohomebrewsm.png

Darksaviour69
January 19th, 2005, 04:48
i wonder what other neogeo homebrew is out there...

quzar
January 19th, 2005, 05:19
there are only like 3 demos, and only one was ported to the NGCD. (iirc)

btw, a bit of a status update for those who care: i now have a working z80 core in the emulator. SFX are still a bit away, but the z80 is running and the emulator still runs fullspeed.

good things on the way =P

MetaFox
January 19th, 2005, 09:34
Hopefully when the Z80 is actually being used extensively for sound effects, it still stays at fullspeed.

Out of curiosity, what Z80 core are you using in NeoDC now?

quzar
January 19th, 2005, 10:03
cmz80. and as far as i can tell, it is trying to generate sound effects, its just the sound output code that is broken. then again, im not sure if the sound chips and fm emulation is running at all.

Lain
January 19th, 2005, 23:15
can someone help me with burning this ( I have the bios but have made 5 costers)

Darksaviour69
January 20th, 2005, 10:46
if your using dream inducer (which i recomend) just put the neocd.bin in the inducer folder (it should be 512kbs)

Lain
January 20th, 2005, 16:55
thank-you

Christuserloeser
January 21st, 2005, 07:52
Hey Lain, welcome :)

A beta of a commercial game is still illegal to distrubte however.

yeah, but this one seems to be PD