PDA

View Full Version : nesDS WIP

wraggster
July 24th, 2006, 00:26
emu_kidid has gave some info about his work on the continuation of the Nes Emulator for the Nintendo DS, heres what he posted:

I've started to work on nesDS (thx loopy)

So far i've done the following:

- Added Save State save/load
- Added SRAM save/load
- Added Setting save capabilities
- FrameSkip option

The following things are being worked on:
- Fix games like double dragon 2
- Update to latest libFAT (to support SCSD Saving)

A older version by loopy can be found at http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tew/nesDS/

Expect a WIP binary in a few days.

DS Emulation will have the release for you the minute it happens :)

The Hombrew Hunter
July 24th, 2006, 01:59
SaSaSweet. Sorry pocketnes...NESDS will steal my heart!

IF it runs FF1-3.

Junixx
July 24th, 2006, 02:28
Alright a NesDS update :D the current Nes DS runs FF 1-3 but since you cant save....theres really no point

The Hombrew Hunter
July 24th, 2006, 02:41
SO the NEW ONE PLAYS FFS WITH REWIND AND SPEED UP?!?!?!?

BITCHING! CAN'T WAIT! I'll HAVE A NEW M3 THEN!

Ethoscapade
July 24th, 2006, 02:53
what are you guys talking about, nesDS saves just fine, you just can't have more than one savefile at a time (as in, a savestate for megaman 3 will overwrite sram for legend of zelda)

battleroyalex
July 24th, 2006, 03:08
i hope this works on ezflash 4 lite I get mine tuesday

Junixx
July 24th, 2006, 03:20
I forgot i most likely will never be able to save because i have a GBAMP and have no SRAM...unless he makes it so that the save is written to a .sav file on the root of the card of something like that

rogerpoco
July 24th, 2006, 03:58
Thank you.

battleroyalex
July 24th, 2006, 04:08
I forgot i most likely will never be able to save because i have a GBAMP and have no SRAM...unless he makes it so that the save is written to a .sav file on the root of the card of something like that
thats how it should be

JKKDARK
July 24th, 2006, 06:11
great news :D

Qerppsmmnx
July 24th, 2006, 10:06
Can't Wait! I NEED TO SAVE! it sucks to get so far and have to start over... discouraging.

scorpei
July 24th, 2006, 10:20
Libfat has been added (so I would say a .sav file is made).
Anyway, great job on persuing this great project further and many thanks to loopy for sharing the source!

Xcliber
July 24th, 2006, 13:05
I'm right up the same ally as those wishing to play Final Fantasy 1-3!!
:)
I'll dl it the days its uploaded!

rememberthe8bit
July 24th, 2006, 14:05
Heh, FF 1-3, just what I was thinking too. I wonder if this update will fix Ninja Gaiden III. Perhaps they fixed sound sample playing. (Like Ryu saying "yah" or the drums in Super Mario Bros. 3, that's what I mean) (I'm pretty sure that's the DMC.)

Ethoscapade
July 24th, 2006, 14:51
a couple requests:

1) please see if you can't fix punchout. loopy mentioned something about all of the pocketnes-specific code that ungarbled the backgrounds being removed when he released nesDS; i'm sure there was a reason for this, but if you could somehow fix it again, that would be great.
2) see if you can implement proper sram handling for flashcarts, the way pocketnes did. i ask because i have an ez4lite, which uses SD media, however ezteam has been notoriously unwilling to release any of their fat libs to enable direct saving.. fortunately, their sram patcher works just fine on homebrew so it's not so much of an issue.
3) the menu in the last release of nesDS is a bit tricky to use. i have no problem with the menu being activated by rapping the touch screen, but once it's there, could you possibly make it so we can change options with the d-pad and buttons? a lot of the toggles are just unnecessarily difficult to hit with the stylus.

thanks!

metroplex2k7
July 24th, 2006, 15:32
Could someone please drop him a message to PLEASE make it playable on the Max Media Player? Player, not Dock.

havoc_012
July 24th, 2006, 19:17
Wow, I thought this project was dead. Way to keep it going emu_kidid!!!1! I can't wait for save support. Thanks again.

lexluthor
July 24th, 2006, 20:49
Sorry (Dull question) But does anybody know why I should pick this over the built in NES emulator within the Supercard SD?

Does anybody know which performs best?

bbrewer01
August 19th, 2006, 10:13
I got nesds to work with max media player and 4gb hdd by downloading nesds-WIP1. instructions.
first you need to find nesds-WIP1 you can google it which i did or find it your own way. unzip it after it's downloaded and be sure to download and put ndstool in the same folder. ndstool is what makes the .nds file which you will use. alright to start you click on the make_nds file and the app comes up. click on the open file button to select your .nes game lets take megaman for ex. once megaman is on the apps screen click save. (it should save in the nesds_WIP1 folder, it's easier that way.) the save as window will open and just save it as the default save nesds.ds and click save again. a few seconds later it should say done. click ok and then the ndstool will make you your .nds file called nesds.nds. next you can then rename it to megaman.nds and move it to your max media player. it should work perfectly. if it works, which it should! you can make a .nds with more than one rom. like i did i put all 6 megaman games in one .nds which gives me the option to load any 6 of them at any time without having to restart the ds. simply, when your at the choose file menu and all six megaman games which should show you the list before you save. note nesds wont run if the file size of .nds is bigger than 3mb. but you should be able to make compilations like mario bros 1,2, and 3 all the megaman and what ever you want. enjoy!

Pawntidious
August 25th, 2006, 19:35
Hey guys, I'm having issues getting my emulator up and running. I've created the ds.gba file without a problem using the built in tools and attached the roms, but am always getting "no roms found" when loading it up. Any solutions guys?

edit: I'm using the passcard 3 and the M3 SD.