PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Simple PSP-GPS hookup

Pages : 1 [2]

deniska
September 26th, 2006, 05:30
check/flip wifi switch, take out UMD...
(the green screen prog does not care about those but MapThis requires no UMD and wifi off in the current release)
makesure that FAKEFEED=0 in the config.txt file....

Also, don't expect any reception indors.. You'll get 0 satelites and gps coordinates from latest life session...

Let me know if you continue having problems...

You cable is in fact working... It would be nice if you could post a video tutorial on how to make it... that is if you have time and want to contribute... ;-)

fubarms
September 26th, 2006, 05:57
Hi deniska so is my cable ok? it should be working yes? But anyways I change the config.txt to 0 and I made sure that my umd is out and the wi fi turn off. It still did not work. I went out side and waitied for about two min and it still did not pick up any satelities. Sure I will make the video on how to make the video when I have time this weekend ;)

deniska
September 26th, 2006, 06:11
Does the green program show you the speed and number of satelites (>0) when you step outside?
Is the time (minutes) shown correctly in green prog? The hours will probably be off...

I take it that the red light blinks.. - meaning it gets the GPS data....

fubarms
September 26th, 2006, 06:19
I am running the GPSlime236 and it say Satelites 08 and the orange and blue light are flashing. The time show 5:20 but it should be 10.20pm here in the US. and my signal quality 02. The speed say 0.00 ;(

deniska
September 26th, 2006, 06:40
hmm... see if you can capture your data to a file and post it here (Map This has record GPS feature)

BTw, does the time (in right top corner) change whan you run GPS in map this!?

fubarms
September 26th, 2006, 06:59
do you mean use the map this program to capture the data?

fubarms
September 26th, 2006, 14:09
Hey deniska can you upload your map this files that you have for your psp in the Game folder that is without the map and I will copy to my ms to see if your setting works with mine. I am not sure why my map this program does not work ;(

deniska
September 26th, 2006, 14:49
do you mean use the map this program to capture the data?

Left arrow (in gps mode) toggles data recording (to GPS.txt)

BTW, you may want to try previous version and see if it works for you...

fubarms
September 27th, 2006, 01:26
Hi I have the gps.txt file I also tryed to use the older verson it did not work. Please help I really want to try out the GPS. I also made sure that the gps cable works before using the mapthis program.

fubarms
September 27th, 2006, 06:19
Yaaa... my cable keeps on comming lose and the mapthis is still not working I will probbly get the Sony GPS system when it comes out end of this year I hope. Darn........

deniska
September 27th, 2006, 16:03
Hi I have the gps.txt file I also tryed to use the older verson it did not work. Please help I really want to try out the GPS. I also made sure that the gps cable works before using the mapthis program.

post the GPS.txt file...

deanspeed
September 28th, 2006, 20:19
ok i think the reason my cable isnt working could be because im useing the wrong wires. even though im using a multimeter to test them. could some one tell me witch wires to use on my usb cable? i have a yellow, red, white, black, and green.

deniska
September 28th, 2006, 22:23
as it was mentioned a number of times before - going by colors is a risky solution - since cables can use different color codes for wires...

If you not sure what you are doing - consider asking for help in your local elerctronics/tv repair shop...

deanspeed
September 28th, 2006, 22:41
i knew you were going to say that :(.

deanspeed
September 29th, 2006, 01:50
ok sweet. i finaly got it working. but with out any resisters. wy does it not work with resisters? ive tryed 1, 2, and 3. should i try a 4th? or should i just leave it with out any resisters?

deanspeed
September 29th, 2006, 02:03
also it doesn't seem to work with mapthis, i just get the message "Location out of Range". but with the green screen program I'm getting data.

here is a video: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/?action=view&current=IM000642.flv

deniska
September 29th, 2006, 02:29
ok sweet. i finaly got it working. but with out any resisters. wy does it not work with resisters? ive tryed 1, 2, and 3. should i try a 4th? or should i just leave it with out any resisters?

The gpsslim 236 TX voltage range is pretty broad - 3-5V (according to attached documentation).
It apperas that your unit's voltage is ~3V so connecting it through even 1K resistor - lower the voltage too much for PSP to pick up good sigmal.

So yeah - leave it w/o a resistor - you should be fine.

deniska
September 29th, 2006, 02:33
also it doesn't seem to work with mapthis, i just get the message "Location out of Range". but with the green screen program I'm getting data.

Capture and post a screenshot (with IRShell) - I need to see exactly what you got...

Are you getting correct gps coordinates (on top) when you move corsor around (gps off mode)?

deanspeed
September 29th, 2006, 02:40
ok here is a snap shots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/snap0001.jpg

also yes I'm getting the right coordinates

but the date and time is wrong though.

deniska
September 29th, 2006, 06:25
I ment screenthot in map this! ;-)
It's map this you have problem with now, right?

deanspeed
September 29th, 2006, 16:36
oh, ok :)

deanspeed
September 29th, 2006, 16:47
is this what you need?
it seems to be the same with or with out the cable plugged in.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/snap0003.jpg

deniska
September 29th, 2006, 18:29
LOL, looks like you are using test gps feed for NY (from GPS.TXT file) that I provided with one of my demo maps...

Just change "FAKEFEED" to "0" in system/config.txt file in mapthis directory...
ALSO MAKE SURE WIFI IS OFF AND UMD IS OUT OF THE DRIVE.

BTW, this was discussed a few times already ;-)

deniska
September 29th, 2006, 18:35
ok here is a snap shots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/snap0001.jpg

also yes I'm getting the right coordinates

but the date and time is wrong though.

Don't worry about the time - it's reported in GMT which is 5-6 hours ahead of your local time in Florida...
You can set correct time offset in MapThis' config file..

deanspeed
September 29th, 2006, 19:32
oh sweet http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/emotions/drunk.gif. thank you, thank you, thank you so much. it works now, YAY!!!!. you are by far the best psp programmer in the world, lol.

you have no idea how exited i am. I LOVE YOU http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/emotions/worthy.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/emotions/worthy.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/emotions/worthy.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/emotions/worthy.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/emotions/worthy.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/emotions/worthy.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v114/deanspeed/emotions/worthy.gif

kyakko
September 29th, 2006, 20:33
Alright, I did as you said but when I start the GPS Viewer program is get " Connect Plug and turn on GPS". I am using a 3K resistor and the GPS is getting its power from the USB. The + and - data wire has been disconnected. I also tried without the resistor and that did not work either. I tested the signal wire and i am getting from 0V-2V approx. The psp is not seeing the GPS... I also tried A Fn Noob's eboot for 4800 GPS and that did not work either...

hi, i also have a delorme earthmate v1.0 usb (you can easily convert this this to serial via schandir's post). i'm trying to get it to work also. does it matter that it's only nmea 2.0 compliant? the serial specs are 4800/8/1

ZeroAltitude
October 2nd, 2006, 07:02
Hi Deniska,

It's me again! I've got some changes I have been testing with my very slow GPS (1s to send a full message, 2s between message starts).

Anyway, after compiling mapthis v03 on my own toolchain, the app runs very oddly. In particular, the splash screen, and every other image, appears as a 1/4 sized, negative png. It's as though I'm missing some important PNG library or something, although I've only gotten the toolchain recently, and I just installed libpng myself.

Am I missing some library your app requires? Any ideas?

-Zero

DaxDce
October 8th, 2006, 21:03
Hi Deniska,

i think i've tried everithing but it doesn't work:

- wifi off
- umd out
- holux gpslim236 correctly seen by the green viewer
- fakefeed to O
- try to change baud rate, readtime...

nothing happen. Mapthis! say gps_on but data_bad.
can you help me?

schandir
October 9th, 2006, 16:05
hi, i also have a delorme earthmate v1.0 usb (you can easily convert this this to serial via schandir's post). i'm trying to get it to work also. does it matter that it's only nmea 2.0 compliant? the serial specs are 4800/8/1

Kyakko, I used the serial port echo program in lua and i get a whole bunch of gibberish but when I load the gps viewer program i get " Connect Plug and turn on GPS".
Deniska, do you have any idea why the program is not working with the gps?

melado
October 10th, 2006, 18:17
Hi. I have a Holux GR-213 ('mouse' type), with USB interface. I know that since it's USB, I won't be able to do this hack, most probably.

I just wanted your opinion: in the official specs (http://www.holux.com/product/res/GR-213-Spec-E.zip) it appears that the PS/2 version of this GPS works at RS232 and TTL level. Maybe the USB version does the same but internally? Maybe soldering some cables to the PCB? Or would the USB pins do the trick directly?

Should I buy a USB -> PS/2 converter? I have some adaptors of this kind (http://sewelldirect.com/ps2tousb.asp), the ones which come with a USB mouse, but I don't know if this is only a rewiring thing or if it has some 'translation' inside...

Any ideas apart of buying another GPS unit? :confused:

Thanks in advance! Each reply is very appreciated.

Russoxley187
October 17th, 2006, 19:15
Is there any way somebody can tell me what the colors are that have to be connected to a GPSlim236.
I dont want to rip the connectors apart. Just want to cut the cables and connect them.
Thanx

deniska
October 18th, 2006, 18:42
Kyakko, I used the serial port echo program in lua and i get a whole bunch of gibberish but when I load the gps viewer program i get " Connect Plug and turn on GPS".
Deniska, do you have any idea why the program is not working with the gps?

The original "green screen" program was compiled to work with 38400 baud you may need to recompile it to work with 4800 or whatever baud your device is designed for...
The program checks the checksum on all incoming NMEA sentences and would not display anything which did not pass the check...

Gibberish usually suggests incorrect baud setting (I think lua may not be fast enough to handle 4800) or low signal level - in this case you may need to lower resistance (if any) value or use some level convertor cheap in between...

deniska
October 18th, 2006, 19:53
Hi Deniska,

It's me again! I've got some changes I have been testing with my very slow GPS (1s to send a full message, 2s between message starts).

Anyway, after compiling mapthis v03 on my own toolchain, the app runs very oddly. In particular, the splash screen, and every other image, appears as a 1/4 sized, negative png. It's as though I'm missing some important PNG library or something, although I've only gotten the toolchain recently, and I just installed libpng myself.

Am I missing some library your app requires? Any ideas?

-Zero

Actually, I 've got same problem with a tool chain on one of my PCs... Not sure what the root cause of it is, but it has something to do with memory allocation, so to fix it you may need to recompile it with different optimization settings or introduce some large static array - to shift everything a bit...
You may want to try update other libraries as well (like zip, etc)

Russoxley187
October 18th, 2006, 20:26
Help Please.....

ZeroAltitude
October 19th, 2006, 02:19
I figured it out -- thank you for your help Deniska. In another thread, I mention that I have coded up a few new ways to get messages from the serial port. One of them works very well with my very slow GPS. If you'd like to see my code, I'd like to send it to you. Let me know how. I'm [email protected]

deniska
October 19th, 2006, 02:30
Help Please.....
I can't help you with wire colors for two reasons:
1) I sealed my connector with crazy glue
2) I did not use the original USB cable that comes with GPSlim 236 and I do suspect that the original cable may have different colors if any...

So just ping the cables with a multitester...

deniska
October 19th, 2006, 02:36
I figured it out -- thank you for your help Deniska. In another thread, I mention that I have coded up a few new ways to get messages from the serial port. One of them works very well with my very slow GPS. If you'd like to see my code, I'd like to send it to you. Let me know how. I'm [email protected]

Sure, let's see what you've got - just zip up the files that you changed and attach them to this thread (you should be able to manage attachments).

Russoxley187
October 19th, 2006, 19:35
Well,
I bought a multimeter today and some resistors...
cant wait to get home...

Russoxley187
October 19th, 2006, 22:53
ok, I'm at home now,
I can not get one cable to pinout with the ohm meter, If I connect two of the 8 cables together it checks ut, is that possible?
I'm using the White PSP remote..OEM i think.
CAn anyone help me?

deniska
October 20th, 2006, 14:31
ok, I'm at home now,
I can not get one cable to pinout with the ohm meter, If I connect two of the 8 cables together it checks ut, is that possible?
I'm using the White PSP remote..OEM i think.
CAn anyone help me?

According to http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=986
Here is the colors used in standard psp remote cable:

1 2 3
- - -
O
- - -
4 5 6

And the jack ones are 7, 8 and 9 (7 is the contact in the end, 8 the middle and 9 the bigger, usually gnd).

They correspond to wires colours;

1 - BROWN
2 - BLUE
3 - ORANGE
4 - GREEN
5 - YELLOW
6 - GREY
7 - PINK
8 - RED
9 - BLACK

As to USB cable - you obly need to find wires for 2 pins that you are going to use.. Note that some pins may not be connected in your particular usb cable...

Russoxley187
October 20th, 2006, 15:23
Deniska...
You rock..
Thanks but I figured it out last night, This should help lots of other ppl thought. Thanks for posting it.
I am having the problem as somebody else did with the maps not matching up.
I think I am using the fake feed from NY.
I know how to fix it, just havent done it yet.
You are the man...
Thank you agian

Russoxley187
October 20th, 2006, 16:27
got another quick question for ya though...
I changed the FAKEFEED=0 to reflect that. but now I cget a bad data fault.
GPS is on but bad data.
I looked at the slim236 viewer prog and it tracks fine.
8 sats. So I know that my gps and cable works.
Any suggestions?

Originally I thought that It might have something to do with my maps, so I created another map, same prob...
I read all the way through this thread, one other person had the same prob but never got an answer.
I bow to you...
PPl at my job are amazed what I do to my psp. But never take the credit for it..
All I do it use the software, Deniska designed it. This by far is the coolest proggy for the PSP...

deniska
October 21st, 2006, 18:27
I posted a reply with some sugestions in MapThis0.3 thread.. Try them and let me know if you still have problems...

awdark
December 14th, 2006, 02:56
Has anyone tried this with the software that supports the official GPS unit? I want to try this with the Metal Gear Portable Ops but if it wont work it would not be as useful.

BTW, im getting +5v on TX and GND on my garmin 12, so will need a 1k resistor correct? Wouldn't a standard diode be better to drop the voltage? 1 usually drops it by .7 volts

Russoxley187
December 14th, 2006, 21:47
Has anyone tried this with the software that supports the official GPS unit? I want to try this with the Metal Gear Portable Ops but if it wont work it would not be as useful.

BTW, im getting +5v on TX and GND on my garmin 12, so will need a 1k resistor correct? Wouldn't a standard diode be better to drop the voltage? 1 usually drops it by .7 volts

What does mgs have to do with map this and a GPS?

epericho
December 14th, 2006, 22:38
Hello, I wanted to know if mapthis is or will be compatible with the sony gps receiver. I think it would be great... In the contrary does anyone build cable for the holux receiver!!! Thx

Russoxley187
December 14th, 2006, 22:46
Its not really all that difficult..
I was rather scared myself at first, but I just did it and it worked first try...
If you want me to build a cable for you pm me and we may be able to work somehtingout

awdark
December 15th, 2006, 03:05
What does mgs have to do with map this and a GPS?

You see, MGS portable OPS has a GPS feature in the game where you can find new recruit soldiers with the GPS. Its designed for the official one but I was curious if there was any hope it would work with this setup.

Pisuke
December 20th, 2006, 23:46
Hi,
I'm new on the forum.

Just received today my GPSlim236, finished my cable, plugged on PSP, drove my car around neighbourhood and... everything it's ok!! At first found hard to make the cable but really easy, not resistor used.

Thanks Deniska and all the crew here!!

Some questions.
- I have seen that maps from Google are geomatching very good, but ones made by satellite image have a mismatch about 100 meters to the south. why?
- Will my receiver work via Bluetooth with any adaptator for PSP like 'Audio Dongle' or 'Bluetake i-PHONO mini Bluetooth' ??

Thankkksss from Spain!!!

deniska
December 21st, 2006, 00:53
Hi,
I'm new on the forum.

Just received today my GPSlim236, finished my cable, plugged on PSP, drove my car around neighbourhood and... everything it's ok!! At first found hard to make the cable but really easy, not resistor used.

Thanks Deniska and all the crew here!!

Some questions.
- I have seen that maps from Google are geomatching very good, but ones made by satellite image have a mismatch about 100 meters to the south. why?
- Will my receiver work via Bluetooth with any adaptator for PSP like 'Audio Dongle' or 'Bluetake i-PHONO mini Bluetooth' ??

Thankkksss from Spain!!!

Satelite imagery comes from a different vendor, i think... try to get MSN satelites or any other vendor and see if they are any better...

Most bluetooth adaptorsfor PSP just transmit sound and don't receive anything - so they are useless for GPS perposes...

janthan
December 30th, 2006, 01:18
why don't try psp bluetooth

just search in google psp bluetooth
u will find it
please some one buy it and test, and post the feed back it would really helpful

i haven't try it yet:(

deniska
December 30th, 2006, 05:32
if you search this forum, you'll find out why not ;-)

emrahaga
January 5th, 2007, 18:38
Hi Deniska;
I bought gpslim 236 today and I made cable for psp. then I tested with your program on psp.It works well. But it does not work on gps viewer. When I gps on then it says :Your Location is out of range... But in test everything was good. What can i do???

deniska
January 5th, 2007, 22:26
check 4 things:
1) FAKEFEED=0 (in config.txt)
2) MapThis version (0.4)
3) your map actually covers the location you are at
4) gps locked on satelites (gps light flashing on the unit..)

monkeyboy1982
February 2nd, 2007, 16:19
Hi Deniska, and everyone,

Just a thought really, is it possible to use an LED in place of a resistor when making a cable to connect the GPslim 240 to the PSP?

Would this work a a voltage restrictor, preventing PSP brickage? Or would it simply ruin the data that the 240 is sending to the PSP?

Would this work?
Min
Case size (dia.) 3mm
Light output typical at IF = 20mA 20mcd
Forward voltage at IF = 20mA 2V
Forward current (max) 30mA
Reverse voltage (max) 5V
Power dissipation (max) 105mW
Peak wavelength 625nm

I just thought it would be cool, and perhaps useful to have an indication that information is being passed between the devices.

deniska
February 3rd, 2007, 02:10
Hi Deniska, and everyone,

Just a thought really, is it possible to use an LED in place of a resistor when making a cable to connect the GPslim 240 to the PSP?

Would this work a a voltage restrictor, preventing PSP brickage? Or would it simply ruin the data that the 240 is sending to the PSP?

Would this work?
Min
Case size (dia.) 3mm
Light output typical at IF = 20mA 20mcd
Forward voltage at IF = 20mA 2V
Forward current (max) 30mA
Reverse voltage (max) 5V
Power dissipation (max) 105mW
Peak wavelength 625nm

I just thought it would be cool, and perhaps useful to have an indication that information is being passed between the devices.

You could try to put a LED in or just skip the resistor (or LED) at all.. Lot's of people reported that the cable works fine w/o the resistor - no bricks reported so far.... and, btw, you could just by a factory made cable, if you are not sure how to pin it.. (just see my from page for details)

obieone
March 11th, 2007, 01:58
do i have to cut both wire in the middle. the usb cable and the headphones, if not some one can tell me....thank

-=Flo=-
March 11th, 2007, 12:15
hi @all

i'm new here and i've got a question.... i read many posts in this thread but i'm not sure yet... will the homebrew work with the gr-231, too??

do i have to do all the same like with the gr-236?

thx flo

MIB.42
March 11th, 2007, 17:29
hi @all

i'm new here and i've got a question.... i read many posts in this thread but i'm not sure yet... will the homebrew work with the gr-231, too??

do i have to do all the same like with the gr-236?

thx flo

I believe that the discussed cable would work for the Holux BT GPS GR-230, GR-231 receivers as well, considering that you can get the same PDA data cable which works for the 230/231/236/240 without modifications (and the below mentioned PDAs use serial connection like our cable).
( http://www.semsons.com/opcabforholb.html )

fox1976
March 18th, 2007, 10:44
Can anyone sell me a ready for use cord? Have no luck with modding lately.
pm me please.

meme me
March 18th, 2007, 11:35
fox1976
i got mine off ebay

jpc2
March 18th, 2007, 15:18
Hey i just ordered my gpslim 236 today after trying the PSP290 which just wasn't worth the time. I had more fun selling it on ebay then when i actually was using it. Maybe it was just my area but i couldt get a fix even after waiting 20 minutes. I would often have 5 sats in veiw but now fix. any way my question is has any one tried experimenting with a cable that allows you to split between the psp and the car charger it comes with.

fox1976
March 18th, 2007, 20:04
fox1976
i got mine off ebay

I looked and was not able to find one. What search query did you use.? GPS PSP cord? Modded PSP cord for gps?

meme me
March 18th, 2007, 20:26
gpsp cable
gpsp is what is on the cable (the factory made one)

jpc2
March 20th, 2007, 00:22
Well i made my cable and i am just waiting for my gps to come in. I did want to say one thing i heard someone talked about putting a LED instead of a resistor in. I tried a simple circuit consisting of a 3volt EMF system with a 1.5 volt led so i would no if there is a complete circuit. I then tried to make a connection betwen another led but i could not get the system to light up. The other LED was a 3v. so from this i can only assume a led would cuase too much of a drop in the current and voltage thus killing the signal. so i asked my physics teacher and he said any time you are soldering wires together then lead adds slight resistance. not to mention the resistance of the wire itself. This would explain why people are having soo much success with out a resistor. I hope this helps.

aleoks
March 23rd, 2007, 02:32
Hi! Can anybody tell me how to make cable for Pharos GPS-360 with outside power connector...
I don't really wont to cut OEM USB cable (it comes with Pharos GPS plug), bat I can plug it (true USB to USB connector) to regular USB cable and cut off the MINI USB side to connect PSP remote control cable and power.
I'm also have Pharos GPS-500, so I can check if it will work - it looks similar to GPS-360...

Thanks!

rataweb
April 15th, 2007, 11:04
I have PSP v3.03OE-C and Holux GPSlim236 with MapThis v.0.4.97 for Holux.

At the GPS Info, the windows show:
GPS STATE: OFF

And I tested with gps_viewer, but it don't work. The windows messges is:
CONNECT YOUR GPS TO SERAL PORT AND TURN IT ON
But the GPS is ON!!!!

I rebuild the cable 3 times!!!
My cable:

PSP GND (gold)-----------GPS GND (black)
PSP RX (red/blue) ------1K-----GPS TX (green)

Please, help me!!!!

Thanks.

ShUr1k3n
April 15th, 2007, 12:50
Hi everyone,

i have MapThis 0.497 beta version on my PSP with FW 3.10 OE.

Everything works fine, until the "Select Map" menu appear.

The list of Maps is loaded, but i can't do anything in this menu, i cant select any Map, Move the "cursor", nothing... The only thing i can do is press "Home" button, and Turn Off PSP (Brute Poweroff) .

I already format the MC, change FW version, i try with a older version and no luck at all. i also try to download a simple map with "low resolution".

Can anyone help me?

PS: I try with and without the Receiver, Wifi On/Off, UMD In/Out.

And with the "Green Screen" works very well...

Thanks in advance,

ShUr1k3n

jpc2
April 15th, 2007, 22:41

But the GPS is ON!!!!

My cable:

Please, help me!!!!

Thanks.
Did you just go by wire colors.

MIB.42
April 16th, 2007, 00:07

But the GPS is ON!!!!

My cable:

Please, help me!!!!

Thanks.

I personally don't use the 1K resistor and it works just fine...

deniska
April 16th, 2007, 03:41

But the GPS is ON!!!!

My cable:

Please, help me!!!!

Thanks.
Check the relevant sectoin of my FAQ in the discussion forum.

an0nymous
April 23rd, 2007, 05:15
hi there, im waking for my GPS to come in so i was just trying mapthis out. i followed the guide, since i dont have a gps yet so iused the non-GPS eboot file. i can get the homebrew running but when i select the map it takes forever to load up i waited like 20mins and its still loading what should i do ??

deniska
April 23rd, 2007, 18:26
chances are you have a problem with that map...
Try re-making it...
If it does not load withing 3 seconds - something is wrong..

an0nymous
April 23rd, 2007, 23:14
i tryed using a diff program and its fine now. but the max zoom out is limited to 8x zoom can i zoom out more ?

deniska
April 24th, 2007, 03:28
depends on the size of your map and the zoom range that you selected...
I have created maps with up to 11 zoom levels (~2Gb on ms)

r2000
May 11th, 2007, 11:22
Hi,
I have a version 1.50 PSP.
I have installed the latest MapThis/Mapviewer.
2 versions of MAPTHIS GPS EDITION (the other one Map This ! GPS EDITION) appeared.
When I tryied to run these, it say "This game could not be started (80020001)". I am sure I have the right eboot in the right place.
It is the same with both.
I also installed GPSViewer but it showed only corrupted Data.

So what is wrong?

molik
May 29th, 2007, 04:56
Hi, there!! May I ask a GPS receiver question? Do you think this GPS receiver(QSTARZ BT-Q818 bluetooth receiver which can receive 32 channels & 32HR via Bluetooth and mini USB for connection) be able to apply to PSP and compatible with the software you mentioned?

Bolemichel
June 25th, 2007, 13:57
May be someone could help me with the GPS viewer. I've connected the Holux 236 with a 1K resitor to the psp and get every sec new NMEA sentences.

But: The LON/LAT values are zero! Also altitude or signal quality is 0.
Seems the device can't fix any satelites... the wheather is a little bit cloudy now and I'm in a building with an open window. May be this is the point... or should I change any config file? I've just unpacked the zip file from post #1

r2000
June 25th, 2007, 14:36
If you get NMEA sentence every second, that means everything is working.

You just have to wait for a position lock.
Go outside in the open and wait for at least 10 minutes if you are using it for the first time.

Bolemichel
June 25th, 2007, 15:19
Yes, I see every second new sentences separated with comma. There I can also see some null values.

But I will give a try outside later. Hope that I mustn't wait the whole 10 mins for a hookup. I finally bought the holux device for quicker connect than the PSP-290...

Bolemichel
June 25th, 2007, 16:53
Finally I would like to share my experiences with you.

Connecting the Holux receiver outside with no clear sky/very cloudy:

Within 5 sec I will see:
LATITUDE: 49.301805
LONGITUDE: 9.652525
ALTITUDE: 0.00
SPEED: 0.00
COURSE: 0.000000
SATELLITES: 00
SIGNAL QUALITY: 00

After 1min I get all my values:
LATITUDE: 49.301805
LONGITUDE: 9.652525
ALTITUDE: 236.50
SPEED: 0.00
COURSE: 0.000000
SATELLITES: 06
SIGNAL QUALITY: 01

So now I'm prepared for getting started with mapviewer.

Next I would like to solder an audio jacket to the cable to get some audio sounds. Will make it tomorrow. Finally the PSP will mounted to the steering bar of my mountain bike, the cable will follow to the back and the holux will be put in my bag under my saddle ;)

Will make some pictures may be next week.

mr7
June 29th, 2007, 02:36
〓★〓PSP+GR236=GPS〓★〓

I GET IT! IT CAN WORK IN THE HOUSE, 2M TO THE WINDOW.

GPS MODEL:GR236
PSP SYS:3.30 OE-A’
MAP:51 DITU
SOFTWARE VER: MAPTHIS 0497

TEST AERA:
1.XI'AN, SHANXI , P.R.CHINA
2.GUANGZHOU, GUANGDONG, P.R.CHINA

URL:http://itbbs.pconline.com.cn/topic.jsp?tid=7217744

QQ:510844822 (NOTE: GPS FOR PSP)

mr7
June 29th, 2007, 02:42
Maps Of Guangzhou ,by 51ditu Site.

mr7
June 29th, 2007, 02:49
Gps Demo For Pc!
If The Gps Moudle Can Not Work , Use The Demo.

Bolemichel
June 29th, 2007, 08:35
could you please make a picture of your selfmade cable to the holux receiver?

e12174
July 3rd, 2007, 13:51
Here is a farely simple way to connect your PSP to a GPS receiver:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/psp_gps.JPG

You'll need:

- Holux GPSlim236 (~$100)
- Intec G6704 PSP Remote Control (~$11). Alternatively you can rip the connector of your original remote control.
- USB (Mini B) cable ($5-10) (don't use the included USB power cable)
- 1K 1/4watt resistor (>$1)
- Electric tape ($2 roll)

Tools:
- Soldering iron
- Multimeter (for checking the connector pins, alternatively you can use just a circuit made out of a low voltage bulb and a battery)
- Razor blade (to cut and clean stuff)

Basically, you just need to cut the USB cable and PSP remote plug, figure out which wires go to the connector pins, listed below, and connect them according to the diagram:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/PSP_GPS_CONNECTION.jpg

Use caution when connecting the wires, make sure all of them are carefully insulated. You don't want to short any of them, since this may brick your PSP or GPS device.
Also, GPSlim 236 spec says that the TXD voltage may range from 3.2 to 5 V, so 1K resistor may not be enough to lower the voltage in some cases. So buy a few resistors: 5k,3k,2k,1k and see if your circuit works with a bigger value resistor first..

Once your cable is finished, test your setup with a little GPS viewer program that I wrote:

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/gps_viewer.zip
The source code is included in the zip...
Note, the program is written to work in kernel mode, so I doubt that it will work on 2+ fw..
Perhaps someone can look in to how to adjust it...

Here is the screenshoot:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/gps_viewer.JPG

So, waht's the point you ask? I am planning to plug this in to the upcoming map viewer applcation, which, of course will be able to point your gps location on a google-like map in real time... and scroll the map as you move along...

Special thanks to Art and futaris for helpping me out with serial port comm problems...

Almost forgot a disclaimer: As always, I am not responsible for any damages...

[EDIT]
The setup, described above, should also work with some older (and therefore cheaper) holux models: GR-230, GR-231. You can get those for ~45-60 bucks.
What version i can use for 3.03OE-B Kernel, I tested v0.47~ v0.49 does not work.

e12174
July 3rd, 2007, 13:52
Here is a farely simple way to connect your PSP to a GPS receiver:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/psp_gps.JPG

You'll need:

- Holux GPSlim236 (~$100)
- Intec G6704 PSP Remote Control (~$11). Alternatively you can rip the connector of your original remote control.
- USB (Mini B) cable ($5-10) (don't use the included USB power cable)
- 1K 1/4watt resistor (>$1)
- Electric tape ($2 roll)

Tools:
- Soldering iron
- Multimeter (for checking the connector pins, alternatively you can use just a circuit made out of a low voltage bulb and a battery)
- Razor blade (to cut and clean stuff)

Basically, you just need to cut the USB cable and PSP remote plug, figure out which wires go to the connector pins, listed below, and connect them according to the diagram:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/PSP_GPS_CONNECTION.jpg

Use caution when connecting the wires, make sure all of them are carefully insulated. You don't want to short any of them, since this may brick your PSP or GPS device.
Also, GPSlim 236 spec says that the TXD voltage may range from 3.2 to 5 V, so 1K resistor may not be enough to lower the voltage in some cases. So buy a few resistors: 5k,3k,2k,1k and see if your circuit works with a bigger value resistor first..

Once your cable is finished, test your setup with a little GPS viewer program that I wrote:

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/gps_viewer.zip
The source code is included in the zip...
Note, the program is written to work in kernel mode, so I doubt that it will work on 2+ fw..
Perhaps someone can look in to how to adjust it...

Here is the screenshoot:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/gps_viewer.JPG

So, waht's the point you ask? I am planning to plug this in to the upcoming map viewer applcation, which, of course will be able to point your gps location on a google-like map in real time... and scroll the map as you move along...

Special thanks to Art and futaris for helpping me out with serial port comm problems...

Almost forgot a disclaimer: As always, I am not responsible for any damages...

[EDIT]
The setup, described above, should also work with some older (and therefore cheaper) holux models: GR-230, GR-231. You can get those for ~45-60 bucks.
What version mapthis i can use for 3.03OE-B Kernel, I tested v0.47~ v0.49 does not work. but mapthis v0.3 is work.

e12174
July 3rd, 2007, 13:58
I use PSP kernel 3.03OE-B ,does not work, so I need to change kernel to 3.30 or later is right. now i use 3.03OE-B does not work in v0.47~v0.49 mapthis.

Art
July 22nd, 2007, 07:52
What baud NMEA sentences should be enabled for Map this! ?
I can see two in the picture above.. any else?

deniska
July 22nd, 2007, 08:40
What baud NMEA sentences should be enabled for Map this! ?
I can see two in the picture above.. any else?
RMC,GGA, GSV (for sat info)

deniska
July 22nd, 2007, 08:41
I use PSP kernel 3.03OE-B ,does not work, so I need to change kernel to 3.30 or later is right. now i use 3.03OE-B does not work in v0.47~v0.49 mapthis.
Make sure you get GENERIC version for holux and not PSP-290 version. The holux version must be ran under 1.5 kernel

Art
July 22nd, 2007, 09:20
I take it the NMEA parser doesn't display anything on the screen, if it didn't interpret it as an NMEA sentence?

I know the data is getting into the PSP because I see it in other apps.

Art
July 22nd, 2007, 12:56
Got it worked out. Check pm.

escape75
July 23rd, 2007, 17:06
This is a bit off topic but has someone managed
to connect a Holux 236 to a serial port on PC?

I tried connecting GPS Pin 3 to PC pin 2,
and Pin 1 to PC pin 5, but at 38400 8N1
I just see a bunch of garbage on screen.

I tried NMEA and SIRF modes as well, I think :)

Do I need a resistor for a PC?

Any ideas?

saikoboarder
August 29th, 2007, 01:05
does anyone now if the holux gps reciever GM-210 is compatible with mapthis, and how to connect it too the psp. and does have someone a wirediagram for it?

deniska
August 29th, 2007, 06:06
I could not find gm-210 on holux.com's product list

saikoboarder
August 29th, 2007, 10:00
no i alo could not find it its an older version gps reciever of a pda and it is with a ps/2 connection for the computer just like a mouse for the computer.
and it has 6 wires on it.

swallowtail
August 30th, 2007, 07:14
I don't know how to start a new thread, but has anybody out there tried using the QSTARZ receivers? Somebody else on this thread just asked about the BT-Q818. This seems to be a very popular receiver at the moment (next to the holux 240 and m1000 at buygpsnow.com). Incidentally, I just sent the question to the cable people at pc-mobile.net. If they reply, I'll post their response here.
Cheers

Riotblade
September 4th, 2007, 02:15
Anyone can tell me if a Holux M1000 GPS works? And where can I get a pre-made cable?

deniska
September 5th, 2007, 05:44
Anyone can tell me if a Holux M1000 GPS works? And where can I get a pre-made cable?
It does.. get the cable from http://www.pc-mobile.net/

Riotblade
September 5th, 2007, 22:33
It does.. get the cable from http://www.pc-mobile.net/

Thanks for the fast answer. I was doing some research for the M1000 (seems more worth it at the price) and people say the USB port is for charging purposes only. I also looked at that site and it doesnt have anything for th M1000. Would I need to get the one for the GPS Slim?

*EDIT*
Found my answer in another topic. Yes it uses that cable if anybody else is searching as well.

Thanks!

swallowtail
September 6th, 2007, 19:39
I want to contribute by testing out the QSTARZ receivers. I have a qstarz BT-Q1000 (I would think it's the same as a BT-Q818), and a PSP successfully running mapthis, as well as a GHPSP cable from pc-mobile.net (the one normally used for the holux 236/240, -the one without the 1k resistor).
I have a stupid question: Doesn anyone think it's a really -bad- idea if I just hapilly plug these guys together? :p I promise I won't cry if anything happens. If I can summon the courage to try this out, I'll report my findings back to the group.
------
An update: Tragically, I seem to have lost my BT-Q1000 (on my wedding trip before the cable arrived. Yes I brought my PSP on the honeymoon. Not divorced yet.) I am hoping it's in with the family luggage. I'll update this entry again if anybody finds it.

r2000
September 7th, 2007, 02:28
I want to contribute by testing out the QSTARZ receivers. I have a qstarz BT-Q1000 (I would think it's the same as a BT-Q818), and a PSP successfully running mapthis, as well as a GHPSP cable from pc-mobile.net (the one normally used for the holux 236/240, -the one without the 1k resistor).
I have a stupid question: Doesn anyone think it's a really -bad- idea if I just hapilly plug these guys together? :p I promise I won't cry if anything happens. If I can summon the courage to try this out, I'll report my findings back to the group.
I am sure it will not do any harm to try.

deniska
September 7th, 2007, 05:51
I doubt this would work, but chances of damaging your psp are also negligeale if you try to plug this in...

saikoboarder
September 7th, 2007, 16:26
can anyone help me?
ik have a usb gps mouse(BU-303)
can i use this with mapthis, and if it can could someone tell me how to use or configur the usb cable of the reciever.i could not find a site of this product where ican see the wire diagram of this reciever.can anyone help me.

macdo
October 25th, 2007, 20:24
Deniska, is there any site with info about MapThis, list of recievers, software downloads and resumed instructions beyond this thread?

Best Regards,
macdo

Sorry I found it.

swallowtail
November 30th, 2007, 05:26
Alas, it is as Deniska predicted. Connecting the Qstarz BT-1000 didn't work. I plugged it into my PSP using the "GHPSP" cable (from pc-mobile.net). The Qstarz receiver seemed to realize it had been plugged into something (because the blinking lights changed), but the PSP could not detect it (GPS state: off). I didn't try fiddling with any of the settings (baud rate).
Incidentally, I WAS able to get the holux M-1000 to work with mapthis using this same cable (it works great).

pemenro
December 17th, 2007, 12:44
Hi:

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/gps_viewer.zip link is broken.

Where i can download gps_viewer file?

Thanks and regards.

mattza4life
April 5th, 2008, 15:00
wats the point of havin all the wires? cant we just download a program and plug a reciever in?

AdamRav
April 5th, 2008, 16:30
wats the point of havin all the wires? cant we just download a program and plug a reciever in?

Yea you can do that

but with this DIY cable your get better locks and better signal strength

i haven't tried it myself but from the others experience it works a charm

Aake
May 9th, 2008, 12:22
Hi

It's log way to get all thing to work.

I have now:

PSP 1004
PSP game Lumines (downgrade tool)
Firmware downgraded 3.52 M33
Holux Gpslim 236
USB-cable
gmdl0.5.05b for maps

+ penty of time

I made cable GPS <-> PSP

No data - perkele.

Gps_viewer.zip is missing
Has anybody seen gps-tool ?

Aake

deniska
May 10th, 2008, 16:29
Seems like some files are missing due to a recent server crash.. I'll re-upload them on Monday.. meanwhile search psp-hacks or pspupdates for the required files:
http://dl.qj.net/GPS-Viewer-PSP-Homebrew-Applications/pg/12/fid/9029/catid/151

tomb1957
May 26th, 2008, 08:05
Hi, is there a screen that will give you just the basic info without a map being loaded such as: speed, bearing, elevation etc..?

riksworld
July 11th, 2008, 19:37
Hi Guys,

Very good interesting thread, im seriusly thinking of playing with this but I have 2 questions, hopefully someone will be able to help out

1 im thinking of getting the Holux GPSlim236, is this ok?

2 my psp is currently running 3.90CF, will this be ok with this gps module?, its currently set to use 1.50 firmware

All answer would be thanked as usuall

Thanks People

deniska
July 12th, 2008, 06:13
Hi Guys,

Very good interesting thread, im seriusly thinking of playing with this but I have 2 questions, hopefully someone will be able to help out

1 im thinking of getting the Holux GPSlim236, is this ok?

2 my psp is currently running 3.90CF, will this be ok with this gps module?, its currently set to use 1.50 firmware

All answer would be thanked as usuall

Thanks People
1 - yes holux gpsslim236 will work just fine
2 - there are versions for both 1.xx & 3+ kernels
Note that the wiring of the cable is different for slim & thick psps

Pierre75
October 12th, 2008, 23:52
Hello,

I got a PSP 4.05, and I'd like to know if the program work with this version ? I bought a Holux GPSlim236 too.

N.B: I never hack my PSP, so I don't know about my kernel or firmware version ...

singamer
November 28th, 2008, 11:35
Wow, that GPS looks greater than the original gps

legaljbird
December 21st, 2008, 15:43
Been playin with this for awhile but dont want to brick my psp, i have a usb extender cable and also a mini usb cable that i can hack up,I have a Gosget BU-358, was wondering if someone could give me step by step to get this to work with my slim?
thank you in advance.

Azazel_29a
December 24th, 2008, 07:59
Can this be used in a project like connecting a bluetooth usb dongle "theoretically speaking" What I am trying to ask is is it possible to connect other usb devices using a serial mod, And yes i know that there are none that i can recall that have a psp connect to other usb devices such as a usb bluetooth device. so please don't say its impossible i just want to know because i want to see if i can make such a device what ever it may be work on the psp even if it just recognizes it but has no driver support would be grate. If you know what im talking about please email me at [email protected] thanks for your time and the awesome hardware.:thumbup:

dajo
February 9th, 2009, 08:15
hi,

maybe stupid question but i didnt found any talk about building usb to serial. on that way is maybe possible use slim236 on usb connector and with goexplore?

i beleive is not so simple especialy on sw side but maybe:confused:...
sorry

atnoword
February 10th, 2009, 20:31
Hello, how can i change the words in te green monitor from gps viewer in German language. Can you tell me witch file i modify.
I have probem with the map software, can everybody help me?

thanks

atnoword
February 11th, 2009, 22:41
Holux GR 231 works

atnoword
February 11th, 2009, 22:43
nice. thank you for confirmung my research about the compatibility of the gps devies :D

i ordered myself a 231 today. i will tell you if it works =)

btw.. do i need to recode your testing programm? wouldnt be that problem, but knowing it, before testing and find it not working would be better^^

Holux GR 231 works

bacardi23
February 25th, 2009, 12:57
Hi guys! Do you know if it's possible to connect it like this sketch I've made?

What do you think about it? I like it but hey, it's just my opinion lol

bacardi23
February 27th, 2009, 09:58
Anyone can help me? I'd really appreciate it :)

christina2009
August 15th, 2009, 02:15
a couple of numbers through a serial port and a stream of television information are two completely different things. GPS information is realtively small but a TV broadcast requires a lot of bandwidth. A serial port can't provide that much.

I think this is enough .....
I do agree with you. Those are the most effective way

comparatif simulation taux pret auto (http://pret-auto.org) - taux pret auto differe selon la prise en compte ... calculent automatiquement le taux pour un prêt automobile donne.comparatif simulation taux pret auto (http://pret-auto.org)

desertofwater
November 16th, 2009, 14:35
nice info. dude. thnx for sharing....keep it up..

simple interest calculator calculation calculators formula loan calculating rate loans equation rates mortgage compound current high savings account home (http://simpleinterestcalculator.org)

stickynicky
December 23rd, 2009, 10:51
Just ordered all the gear to make my cable. I have a question about identifying pins with a multimeter.

How will I know which pin is which by resistance?

Could you maybe add a simple guide on identifying pins please.

man, you check for voltage, not resistance. you need the GROUND wire and the TX wire so if you touch negitive probe of multimeter to ground and the positive side to each wire untill you get a fluctuating voltage (about 2.5v). set your multimeter to like 3, 5, or 10 volts and start tryin to find the tx wire on the gps unit. connects to rx on psp remote (pin 6 if i remember correctly). once you find the wires, hook everything together with a resistor inline with the gps tx(about 1 thousand ohm/1k resistor, maybe higher resistor value) out to the psp rx in and it should work.

[edit = sorry bout that one, thought I was on the last page of this thread. the info is still useful tho, for noobz n misguided googlers...]

stickynicky
December 23rd, 2009, 11:29
Hi guys! Do you know if it's possible to connect it like this sketch I've made?

What do you think about it? I like it but hey, it's just my opinion lol

yeah, itd work if that mini-usb is a serial/power interface and not a usb. itd be a lot of work to make that work if it was a usb holux reciever. You also need a 5v regulator circut in that connecter thing for psp charging/reciever power? idk the specs on this reciever. if you have all of those things in the picture, and the reciever is as-stated earlier, a little modding and patience, and just add a car mount and viola, you have achieved greatness in the field of psp based navigation.