PDA

View Full Version : VR and the psp

NoQuarter
July 25th, 2006, 00:58
Hey everbody I wan't to share my project with the community and get feedback and or help with this

Outline:
To use the psp as a VR headset in immersive 3D rendered world
Implementation:
1. create headset mount for stereoscopic viewer ala psp-not solideye cardboard crap.I already have a basic homemade stereoscopic viewer made from scavenged magnifying glasses.
2. Make a supercomputer cluster using softmodded or modded xbox's.I have already softmodded my first xbox a couple of months ago and I'm looking for more older xbox's to make the cluster with.
3. create the 3D enviroment with open source rendering tools such as blender
4.Implement a control scheme using cheap RF motion capture equipment and if worse comes to worse use a controller;hopefully I can get the motion capture thing happening:)

If anybody has any knowledge,help,or suggestions please post them or pm me

thanx

Accordion
July 25th, 2006, 10:48
erm
sterioscopic game is good
but the rest is just messy and expensive,
depends on your experience i guess, but your current plans are for you and no one else

NoQuarter
July 25th, 2006, 11:04
I'm definitly trying to go as cheap as possible,got the first xbox for free,All of the software is free but the motion capture will probably be the worst part.Although some of the plans I saw for for said it could be built for a little over 100 US with radio shack parts whereas commercial motion capture equipment is between 1000 and 10000 US.The clustering part really isn't all that difficult since Dynabolic linux distro comes with it installed.

Accordion
July 25th, 2006, 11:31
like i said before, this project will only be for you, no one else will be able to enjoy it, so there is no reason to help.
however i do like the idea of more stereoscopic games, but your plan requires too much effort for a gimmick

NoQuarter
July 25th, 2006, 11:37
Oh well thanks anyway for the feedback.How about like say snes emu with offset backgrounds for a sense of depth?