PDA

View Full Version : nVidia chief: PS3 delay a 'master stroke'

wraggster
July 25th, 2006, 14:06
nVidia chief Jen-Hsun Huang has gone on record with the San Jose Mercury News to sing the praises of the PS3 and its associated Blu-ray technology, even going so far as to call the console's delay to incorporate Sony's next-gen disk format a 'master stroke'.

The nVidia CEO was supremely confident that the company had backed the right horse this time around after his nVidia originally supplied the GPU for Xbox One, while this time it's providing GPUs for both the Nintendo Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3.

Huang said, "I don't think that working with Sony is wrong. There is no way that is going to be wrong. There are many wonderful things that Sony did. I'm excited that they made Blu-ray high-definition storage as a standard part of the PlayStation 3 platform."

Huang continued, "To postpone it by a few months so they could include Blu-Ray was a master stroke. When that comes out, it's going to look so much more advanced than last-generation game consoles. I think that was a wonderful call on their part."

The nVidia chief also had a warning for Microsoft saying, "I'm not sure how Microsoft is going to do in this transition. They are clever and they will figure out a way. I'll make a prediction that Xbox 360 can't possibly be a DVD-only device by Christmas of next year."

Huang also believes that Blu-ray is the format that is set to dominate proceedings for the next decade, opining, "The important thing is you cannot announce a game console for the next ten years and not have Blu-Ray ...If I'm going to buy a next-generation game console, I'm going to buy a console with next-generation media. It's going to last ten years."

The nVidia boss isn't apparently bothered by the PS3's uber price tag either, making a direct comparison to the PS2's price point when it was launched, "PlayStation 2 was launched seven years ago in Japan at about $399. If you use inflation, it's the same price, approximately."

JesusXP
July 25th, 2006, 14:13
I'm pretty sure thats inaccurate as ATI is responsible (yet again) for Nintendo's newest GPU --- codenamed Hollywood (unless I am mistaken).