PDA

View Full Version : DSx86 News - Dos Emulator for DS - v0.06 Released!

wraggster
March 14th, 2010, 16:40
Pate (http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/DSblog.html) has released a new version of his excellent Dos Emulator for the DS, heres whats new:

This version contains some user interface changes in addition to various internal changes:

New keyboard graphics by L.D. Ash from Violation Entertainment.
The meaning of the debugger G and the NDS B button has been swapped. Thus, you get the keyboard back after going to the debugger with the B button, and touching G and v stays in the debugger screen.
Shoulder L and R buttons scroll the zoomed screen horizontally, unless they are mapped to PC keys in the INI file.
New "HDD led" on the bottom screen, so you can see when the game accesses the SD card.
EGA refactoring, as mentioned in the previous blog post.
A large number of EGA opcodes added, I think I have added all that had been mentioned in the debug logs I have received.
The unknown INT10 call in Prince of Persia is now ignored.
Several TEXT mode opcodes have been added, based on the debug logs.

I planned to have mouse support in this version, but it turned out to be a much bigger issue than I had thought. I can't add a partial support, as that might make games that currently run crash into debugger with an unsupported mouse INT 33 function. So I'll need to code this properly, and I think that would take a couple of weekends. So, perhaps in the next version, but no promises.

I also tested a couple of new games, Swap as was mentioned in the previous blog post, Simcity demo, and WORLD CLASS LEADER BOARD GOLF by Access Software. Simcity still has a "division by zero" problem, which does not happen in DOSBox, so that still needs some work. The golf game seems to work fine, though. It uses "REALSOUND" speaker sounds, which I believe means digitized sounds, and those are not supported properly in DSx86 yet. I might add support for those if I find a simple way to do that, but currently it just plays static.

There have been quite a few unsupported INT call problems in the debug logs that I have received, however for these I have not done anything in this version. I looked at the types of INT calls they were about, and noticed that a great majority of them are using various DOS features that I haven't supported yet in DSx86. These will be my focus for the next version, along with the mouse support.

retroben
March 18th, 2010, 03:40
chips challenge work yet?

lvbwagyfm
March 20th, 2010, 01:48
Very nice!

I tested

One Must Fall 2097 (freezes after setup screen)
Larry 1 (works but unable to read text)
Scorched Earth (some issue with the graphics)
Monkey Island (works but you might as well use scummvm for this one)
Blackthorne (not responding)
Warcraft (not enough ram)
Dune2 ( not working)

I am very excited that someone finally took the challenge! Keep up the good work!

Ramon