PDA

View Full Version : Sony's PSP TV Poll

wraggster
July 26th, 2006, 00:39
Article from Kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/locationfree-tv/sonys-psp-tv-poll-189552.php)

It looks like Sony has is finally starting to wake up to the massive potential of LocationFree TV on the Playstation Portable. Last night the company sent out a poll to members of the Playstation Underground asking for impressions on the service which can transmit live television to a Playstation Portable via WiFi and an overpriced gadget.

The poll, which is on the jump, specifically asks if Underground members haven't purchased the device necessary to watch television on their PSP because they are waiting to see if it will be built into the Playstation 3. As you've probably noticed, if you're a regular reader of Kotaku, this is one of my favorite pet theories.

The poll also asks how much a gamer would be willing to pay for an add-on that would let you watch television or a DVD player wirelessly on your PSP and about the viability of the TiVoGo Service which the PSP can make use of.

It certainly looks like Sony is finally pulling their heads out of the hole and starting to think about ways to make the Playstation Portable a more viable multimedia platform.

I'm not worried about the games for the PSP, I know they will come and have been coming, but multimedia is really going to take some work.

Hit the jump for all of the poll questions. Brian Crecente

Dear PlayStation® Underground™ member,

Have you heard about Sony's LocationFree™ wireless service or TiVo's TiVoToGo™ service? Do you know that you can watch regular television, DVDs and the Internet on your PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system? We're wondering what PSP system owners know about this new technology, and whether or not you think it's a cool idea. Tell us your thoughts. Simply take our short survey.

Sincerely,
The PlayStation Underground

How long have you owned your PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system?
Less than 6 months
6 months to 1 year
Over 1 year

Prior to our email, did you know that you can stream TV programs from your home to anywhere you have access to the Internet on your PSP system using LocationFree™ from Sony?
Yes
No

Which do you view as the biggest benefit of using LocationFree TV?
Access to live TV content
Ease of use
Access to DVDs while traveling
Cost of system
Access to DVR programs
Other

Do you use LocationFree to watch TV content on your PSP system?
Yes
No

What is your primary reason for not purchasing LocationFree?
Need more information
Too expensive
Waiting to see if the PLAYSTATION®3 will act as a LocationFree device
No ability to access a wireless hotspot
Not aware of the LocationFree wireless service
Not interested
Other

How much would you expect to pay for the LocationFree device?

$100 - $150
$151 - $200
$201 - $250
$251 - $300
$301 - $350
$351 - $400
$400+

Prior to our email, did you know that you can view saved TV programs on your PSP system using TiVo's TiVoToGo™ service?

Yes
No

Which do you view as the biggest benefit of using TiVoToGo for the PSP system?

Access to my TiVo content
Ability to watch TV when and where I want
Ease of use
Using the latest portable technology
Viewing TiVo content on the PSP system screen
Other

Do you use the TiVoToGo service for your PSP system?

Yes
No

What flat fee would you expect to pay for the TiVoToGo service?

$0
$1 - $10
$11 - $20
$21 - $30
$31 - $40
$40+

What is your primary reason for not using the TiVoToGo service for your PSP system?
Don't know enough about it/need more information
I don't have a TiVo DVR that supports TiVoToGo
Ease of use/no wireless router setup
Waiting to see if the PS3 will be able to transfer saved video to my PSP system
Use a different service/method to watch video on my PSP system
Lack of hard drive on PSP system
Not aware of the TiVoToGo service
Not interested
Don't own a TiVo

b8a
July 26th, 2006, 11:17
Whew, golly, it's nice to see them making an effort, but it's hard to believe that they're so disassociated with the real world that they would need to ask these questions. LocationFree is cool, but it's not cool enough to pay more than $100 dollars for. Too much of an unreliable novelty. You're chained to a Wi-Fi hotspot afterall, so it's not like it's an end-all sollution for goodness sakes.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 26th, 2006, 11:21
Well theve got to try something after the UMD vide debacle.Hope it works NOT.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 26th, 2006, 11:22
just thought id Knock my posts upto 300 LMAO !!!!

Video_freak
July 26th, 2006, 11:55
just thought id Knock my posts upto 300 LMAO !!!!

lol, congratulations on your 300th post :)

in terms of Location free, i wouldnt pay more than 75$ for it

Dibbers
July 26th, 2006, 19:07
its a good novelty but i dont think it will catch on outside of Japan as they are not shy when it comes to the whole wifi scene.

*off to McDonalds now to see some wifi commercials, hmmmmmm Big Mac

kfish2oo2
July 26th, 2006, 19:09
This is a joke. Its taken THIS LONG to figure out that Location free is too expensive? Its taken this long to figure out that not that many people have heard of it? COME ON!!! Sony has one kickass R&D dep. and they make some kickass products, but why the hell are they too stupid to get a guy in their massive list of employees to browse the net once and a while and moniter the internet buzz? ITS NOT THAT FREAKIN HARD! This is just another proof of my theory: old people SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO RUN BIG BUSSINESS OR GOVERNMENT! Bloody old idiots.

MaxSMoke
July 27th, 2006, 03:30
Anybody else notice the EXTREME lacking of any questions about Homebrew? That's something they are trying to avoid like the plague. Face facts, Sony, the PSP is NOTHING without Homebrew. Just an overpriced, under supported, toy.

The DS isn't any better, but at least it's a cheap toy, with cheap games and most games support Single-Card play so you can enjoy them with friends.

How many people here have *EVER* played GTA:LA on the PSP in multi-player? It's not that the game is bad, in fact it's incredible fun! But not only do you need to find somebody else with a PSP, but they need to have a copy of the game on their body too. I got 3 words for that: ALMOST-NEVER-HAPPENS

Where's the Single-UMD play, Sony? Where's the Homebrew love?

Those crabby old Japanese Businessmen can take their PS3 and shove it. They are screwing up all over the place. At this rate, Sony will put *ITSELF* out of business within 3 years. Mark my words.

QueadlunnRau
July 27th, 2006, 13:37
Well since I don't watch TV I vote paying $0 for it ... Chances of that happening ... GOOD since someone in this scene will figure out a homebrew that can leech off someone elses TiVoToGo system. WOOT!