PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Oblivion is, in fact, coming to PSP

wraggster
July 26th, 2006, 00:46
Article Via PSPFanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/07/25/rumor-oblivion-is-in-fact-coming-to-psp/)

Back in April, a supposedly leaked release list from Bethesda Software, showed PS3 and PSP versions of the insanely popular Xbox 360 & PC RPG, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The rumor was squashed when Bethesda commented: "At present, we have no announced plans to bring Oblivion to any platforms other than PC or Xbox 360." Well, the rumors of a PSP version of Oblivion are back, most notably because EBGames now shows a product listing for said rumored product. With the rumors of a PSP version of Half-Life 2 abound, maybe there's a lot more power in the PSP than we could've ever imagined.

Malksta
July 26th, 2006, 00:48
Well.. i hope the rumors are true :D OBLVION ON PSP?!!?!?!!

F9zDark
July 26th, 2006, 00:50
I just don't believe it. Both of those games require 1 GHZ CPUs with 256 megabytes of video memory and at least 1 gigabyte of RAM.

PSP can barely handle GTA:LCS without coughing once in a while...

If the two products are indeed coming for the PSP, they will have to be severely crippled to make it even playable.

BrooksyX
July 26th, 2006, 00:52
:eek: Oblivion and Half life 2 :eek: That would be awesome I would defenatly buy both of them.

BrooksyX
July 26th, 2006, 00:58
I just don't believe it. Both of those games require 1 GHZ CPUs with 256 megabytes of video memory and at least 1 gigabyte of RAM.

PSP can barely handle GTA:LCS without coughing once in a while...

If the two products are indeed coming for the PSP, they will have to be severely crippled to make it even playable.

Well obviously they would have to bring the quality of the games down a little bit. But you are forgetting that pc have to run windows in the background so that is going to steal some of the resources.

Saying that though it still does seem that these games would be a little much for the psp to handle. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Voltron
July 26th, 2006, 01:00
Hell yeah, life for PSP owners is getting much better in terms of commercial games. We have Dungeons & Dragons Tactics coming, also Dungeon Siege, and now Oblivion.

Handheld gaming is starting to give home console gaming a run for its money. Sure it is not the same, but if I can have PS2 quality games in my hand with THE psp, i'LL TAKE that over sitting at home in front of my TV anyday. Portable is the future, or a major part of the future of video games if you ask me.

Cap'n 1time
July 26th, 2006, 01:08
If Oblivion does come to the psp.. il very much regret saying that the psp has a shitty library of games..

I image it will be quite different from the PC and x360 version... but still... ITS FREAKING OBLIVION! if they cram 1/10 of the game into the psp thats still one hell of a game.

F9zDark
July 26th, 2006, 01:32
Well obviously they would have to bring the quality of the games down a little bit. But you are forgetting that pc have to run windows in the background so that is going to steal some of the resources.

Saying that though it still does seem that these games would be a little much for the psp to handle. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

A little bit? Are you kidding? The PSP is 333 megahertz with a 333 megahertz media engine(sound only, as far as I know), a whopping 32 megabytes of main memory and 4 megs of DRAM.

Aside from that, the PSP VPU doesn't process even 1/3 of what Half-Life 2 and Oblivion require.

Don't hold your breath people, it is never going to happen...

Mourningstar
July 26th, 2006, 01:39
It will probably be the mobile phone version....

harpua
July 26th, 2006, 01:47
Release date 3/15/07...check it out.

F9zDark
July 26th, 2006, 01:59
Release date 3/15/07...check it out.

That means very little. Game stores throw a release date on their site the instant even a half-assed-reliable source says so.

I could pose as a member of the Bethesda staff and tell Ebgames about a ton of games that are coming down the pipe and when they will be released and they would be none the wiser and place it all on their site and begin taking preorders without even verifying the information...

Skye
July 26th, 2006, 03:10
If it were going to come out I'd buy it. ;D

Cap'n 1time
July 26th, 2006, 03:13
A little bit? Are you kidding? The PSP is 333 megahertz with a 333 megahertz media engine(sound only, as far as I know), a whopping 32 megabytes of main memory and 4 megs of DRAM.

Aside from that, the PSP VPU doesn't process even 1/3 of what Half-Life 2 and Oblivion require.

1up seems to think so...
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152424&did=1

so does ebgames...
http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=190345

It probably wont be nearly the same as the pc and x360 version... but i think it will still prove to be a good release. bethesda always brings us quallity games.

NeoXCS
July 26th, 2006, 03:29
Jeesh F9zDark stop freaking out like its not at all possible. They obviously aren't going to port it over exactly as is. But im sure they will optimize it specially for the PSP if they do. Besides a PC and a PSP are much different in terms of hardware. If I played something of GTA: LCS quality on a 333mhz PC with 32 MB of ram it would just choke and die! :p

ACID
July 26th, 2006, 03:47
If this is true i will buy it even if it was 70 usd. I love the series.

jason867
July 26th, 2006, 03:58
Wow, oblivion on psp. I don't know how they'd pull it off succesfully. Seems like they'd have to obliterate everything that made oblivion oblivion. I have to say though, if they pull it off and make it as fun as the pc version seems to be (I've never played it), I'll do anything Sony wants to play it, including giving up homebrew for good...but I doubt that It'll be that good, if it's even for real...

Xiro
July 26th, 2006, 04:16
Wow, oblivion on psp. I don't know how they'd pull it off succesfully. Seems like they'd have to obliterate everything that made oblivion oblivion. I have to say though, if they pull it off and make it as fun as the pc version seems to be (I've never played it), I'll do anything Sony wants to play it, including giving up homebrew for good...but I doubt that It'll be that good, if it's even for real...

thats what i was waiting for someone to say as i read through this thread. Sony needs to stop enticing users with stupid updates like GPS and a camera and RSS feed, and actually come out with GAMES that only run on a higher firmware.

I bought my psp mainly for games and quite frankly i've been using it as an emulator and movie player. Why can't sony just release a killer app that makes us upgrade? Why come out with stupid upgrades like RSS?

Voltron
July 26th, 2006, 04:40

Well, look what they did with Tekken 5. They made Tekken Dark Resurrection for the PSP and that is an even better game than Tekken 5 on the PS2. Sure the visuals are not as fine tuned as PS2, but scaled down to the PSP, a lot can be done.

gangsta_psp
July 26th, 2006, 06:00
It will probably be fun (if its true), but dont expect a perfect port.

ArugulaZ
July 26th, 2006, 06:15
So what if it's listed on EB Games? They also listed Chulip for the PS2 three years ago. I'm still waiting for it!

If you've ever played Oblivion, you'd know that porting it to the PSP without a SIGNIFICANT reduction in quality is impossible. Hell, sometimes the game is even too much for the Xbox 360 to handle!

This is wishful thinking on EB Games' part. If Bethesda is foolish enough to try to bring the game to the PSP, it will be so simplified that it will be Oblivion in name only.

JR

Emeriastone
July 26th, 2006, 07:09
About the Oblivion I don't know, but I don't think Valve would put in the effort to port a game for a system that is only doing fairly well at best. Plus remember that half of the Half-Life franchise is online and multiplayer!

If you want to know for sure if it's being ported, check your Steam account and see if that news ever comes up.

Adduc
July 26th, 2006, 07:45
At this point in time I'd be satisfied even if Bethesda came out with Morrowind. Though an older game, I'd imagine it'd be easier as the original engine obviously required less resources than oblivion.

However, you never know what'll happen. I'll be as disappointed as everyone else if it turns out this supposed Oblivion does end up to be a 2d game similer to or a port of the mobile edition.

I find it hard to believe that Valve is actually considering developing Half-Life 2 for PSP. Perhaps someone got their reports mixed up, and it's actually a port of counterstrike? It'd be the first online only game for PSP, but I bet it'd still be pretty successful. And I'd love to see them combat piracy on the PSP, as to their anti spoof technique. Hell, maybe even add a cd-key check in there alas everything else in Steam.

Possibilities... Possibilities...

odino
July 26th, 2006, 07:58

X-box has only 64 mb of ram and 733 mhz of cpu, but HL2 is good on it... Psp work only at 480*272, this resolution can help to make a decent Oblivion/hl2

Cap'n 1time
July 26th, 2006, 08:03
So what if it's listed on EB Games? They also listed Chulip for the PS2 three years ago. I'm still waiting for it!

If you've ever played Oblivion, you'd know that porting it to the PSP without a SIGNIFICANT reduction in quality is impossible. Hell, sometimes the game is even too much for the Xbox 360 to handle!

This is wishful thinking on EB Games' part. If Bethesda is foolish enough to try to bring the game to the PSP, it will be so simplified that it will be Oblivion in name only.

JR

I dont know if the phrase, beating a dead horse woks here.. but I just enjoy the thought of beating dead horses.

In any case, its obviouse that this wont be a direct port.. if they do do it, it will be a dumbed down remake with a vastly modified engine... we should wait and see.

Adduc
July 26th, 2006, 08:14
X-box has only 64 mb of ram and 733 mhz of cpu, but HL2 is good on it... Psp work only at 480*272, this resolution can help to make a decent Oblivion/hl2

It's not all about the overall system speed and ram. The XBox includes a graphics processor that kicks the psp's ass. The GPU in the psp isn't programmable, leaving a lot of graphical effects having to be managed in software code, taking away additional performance.

mr_nick666
July 26th, 2006, 08:32
I dont know if the phrase, beating a dead horse woks here.. but I just enjoy the thought of beating dead horses.

In any case, its obviouse that this wont be a direct port.. if they do do it, it will be a dumbed down remake with a vastly modified engine... we should wait and see.

/\ /\ Exactly! :p People keep assuming they'll try and port the PC versions - Why??? :confused: If theyre going to make it for the PSP then they'll optimise it for the PSP taking advantage of the hardware available and the lower screen resolution :D I think they'll be good ports if they happen! :rolleyes:

ShelbyGT500
July 26th, 2006, 08:44
/\ /\ Exactly! :p People keep assuming they'll try and port the PC versions - Why??? :confused: If theyre going to make it for the PSP then they'll optimise it for the PSP taking advantage of the hardware available and the lower screen resolution :D I think they'll be good ports if they happen! :rolleyes:

heres the descripton from ebgames

After the mysterious and untimely death of the Emperor, the throne of Tamriel lies empty. With the Empire ready to crumble, the gates of Oblivion open and demons march upon the land - laying waste to everything in their path. To turn the tide of darkness, you must find the lost heir to the throne and unravel the sinister plot that threatens to destroy all of Tamriel.

so it looks like its NOT a port :P

mr_nick666
July 26th, 2006, 08:56

After the mysterious and untimely death of the Emperor, the throne of Tamriel lies empty. With the Empire ready to crumble, the gates of Oblivion open and demons march upon the land - laying waste to everything in their path. To turn the tide of darkness, you must find the lost heir to the throne and unravel the sinister plot that threatens to destroy all of Tamriel.

Thanks for the info SheblyGT500 :D Sounds good! :p

Adduc
July 26th, 2006, 09:00

As was said, the ebgames website and similar know no more than we do.

I agree with work Oblivion has the potentially to be a great port, but only if they don't export the job to some third company. I'd love for Bethesda to the job themselves, but they're probably concerned with other things now, and its just a matter of handing the source code to another company and telling them to port it for PSP.

If Bethesda doesn't hand off the game to another company to develop, I expect it to be good.

But this concern only comes after the main question here:

When can we get a confirmation on the game(s)?

PSPFR3AK
July 26th, 2006, 11:05
You mean PS3 not PSP.

schoebey
July 26th, 2006, 11:35
all i can say is:
http://www.gametrailers.com/viewnews.php?id=3452

dave01
July 26th, 2006, 12:17
I've never played Oblivion so I'll go and download the demo on my 360.

Cap'n 1time
July 26th, 2006, 15:21
it seems gamestop even went on ahead and made a site for psp oblivion.
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=190345
I think we can confirm that either someone really fsucked up or... its the real deal.

ACID
July 26th, 2006, 15:28
It makes you wonder since Bethesta straight out said they wherent going to release this game only for the PC and 360