PDA

View Full Version : PSP: CAPCOM CPS1 Emulator for PSP beta 2

b8a
July 26th, 2006, 10:34
http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/img/cps1psp_icon.png

NJ (http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/) has once again updated his CPS1 emulator, this time adding some control fixes and features.

Translated news from his web page:

cps1psp beta 2 binary Download
*replaced rominfo.dat

rominfo.dat for beta 2 Download
*forgot to update rominfo.dat in the zip file.
If you already downloaded beta 2, use this link to download and then replace this file.

If virthu (Varth (US)) doesn't work you're probably missing varthu.zip.
The nessecary files are the parent set varth.zip and the subset varthu.zip.
The contents of varthu.zip are as below.

vau23a.bin ??CRC32 fbe68726
vae_28a.rom??CRC32 7a0e0d25
vae_29a.rom??CRC32 f2365922
vae_33a.rom??CRC32 5e2cd2c3
vae_34a.rom??CRC32 3d9bdf83
Please read readme_cps1.txt to see what's changed.

-Known bugs in beta 2-

Street Fighter II! - Champion Edition (V004) doesn't work. As with NGEPSP, I personally really don't care about bootlegs, so I won't be fixing this. Accordingly, it probably also won't work on any version here on out. Basically, you should consider yourself lucky if you get a bootleg set to work.
Translated "What's changed" contents of readme_cps1.txt:

beta 2

-Fixed a bug where the controls for length-wise games did not correctly reflect the rotation.
-Added Service Coin and Service Switch to Key Configuration.

beta 1

<Fixed Bugs>
-Fixed a bug causing slammast(mbomber) to freeze.
-Fixed a bug where the Key Configuration for slammast(mbomber) was only displaying two buttons.
-Fixed a bug with punisher, etc... where a portion of the sprited wasn't being displayed.
-Fixed a bug with pang3(Euro/Japan) where it wouldn't launch due to an EEPROM error.
-Fixed a bug where varth(US) wouldn't launch.
-Fixed a bug where the initial button setup on quiz games was odd.

<Added - Changed>
-Made it so that games that won't run in MAME won't launch. The effected games are the following 4: kodb, sfm1, sfm2, sfm3
-Made it so that the screen for length-wise games can be displayed rotated. For the effected games only, there is a Rotate Screen option added to Game Configuration and the default value is Yes. The resolution of the PSP screen is quite low and the resulting screen is small, but you'll just have to live with this.
Also, the screen turned on it's side is the correct way of diaplaying the screen. In order to return to this display, set Rotate Screen to No.
-I've made it so that it performs CPS's screen filp emulation. It's activated by changing a specific option under Dip Switch setting, but it normally isn't nessecary to change it.
-Made it so that the input buttons automatically adjust when the direction of the screen display is changed.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

D0N
July 26th, 2006, 11:36
Great work NJ! Keep it up! BTW Where's the attatchment?

EDIT: Doesn't matter. I found it on the homepage. :)

Video_freak
July 26th, 2006, 13:29
nice! this just keeps getting better and better!

edit: does anyone know why we cant post on the Decalgirl.com thread?

Vega
July 26th, 2006, 14:18
:o that was quick

Baboon
July 26th, 2006, 14:23
NJ doesnt muck about... next stop CPS2 and a xbox 360 emulator! :)

ACID
July 26th, 2006, 14:27
great job NJ cant wait for your next release today.LOL and Baboon CPS2 he can probably bring us that emu maybe even Raine or system 16 or 22 but as for a 360 the psp doesn't even have half the memory to emulate that paper wait counsel.

Baboon
July 26th, 2006, 14:31
haha nothing wrong with a bit of sarcasm! lol

...but remember this guy performs miracles ...then updates them regularly! :)

xiringu
July 26th, 2006, 14:41
what can I say?

thnx again :)

Vega
July 26th, 2006, 14:42
I would consider this one of the best emulators for PSP we have had in a while. it is almost flawless. Hope NJ doesnt give up on this one because there is still alot of us arcade fans out there. keep it up man.

mr_nick666
July 26th, 2006, 15:08
NJ is another PSP coding machine! :D This is a superb emulator :p

ACID
July 26th, 2006, 15:10
area88 and SF zero work now

Mr. Shizzy
July 26th, 2006, 15:28
Awesome work NJ. So are there plans of a CPS2 emu?

wilbur
July 26th, 2006, 15:49
Although lots of the others keep trying to tell me otherwise, it doesn't look like a CPS2 emulator is possible on the PSP.

NJ has mentioned he is not even going to attempt it as there just isn't enough free memory to load all the sprites and effects.

The Neo geo emu hit difficulties with games that started to require fancy effects (Garou, Metal Slugs, matremelee) and the CPS2 looks further along that route.

It may well be possible without sound though, as it seems this is the main issue with the capcom systems- their audio is spread over many channels or something.

i [personally] am not hopeful at all for a CPS2 release but others will tell you otherwise. I doubt if NJ would release a totally mute emulator?

Baboon
July 26th, 2006, 15:59
Fair comment, but with NJ beavering away there’s nothing wrong with being optimistic.

If he can get mame working (system 16, or the taito boards etc) then that would cool.

Vega
July 26th, 2006, 16:31
Hold on..... in the description it says "you should consider yourself lucky if you get a bootleg to work".... but isnt Street Fighter 2 Rainbow edition a bootleg?? because it works.

NovaKane
July 26th, 2006, 17:15
Hold on..... in the description it says "you should consider yourself lucky if you get a bootleg to work".... but isnt Street Fighter 2 Rainbow edition a bootleg?? because it works.

Maybe he meant a bootleg rom that acts as a "parent" rom.

Even if NJ never attempts to do CPS2, his CPS1 emu will last me for a very long time being that most of the arcade games I wanted to play on the PSP are supported by it. I love this emu. No more playing SNES/Genesis ports!

I wish we could get a RAINE or MAME emu with near full rom compatibility though. WWF Wrestlefest would look too cool on the PSP. :cool:

aries2k4
July 26th, 2006, 17:22
Great update. I had grabbed the beta 2 release off of NJ´s site but I missed the rominfo file. That did the trick, pang3(EU) loads up great now. Varth loads up once more too.

Mr. Shizzy
July 26th, 2006, 17:59
I love this emu. I do have a few questions though.

1) Is there anyway to play as Nick Fury in "The Punisher"?

2) Is there any plans for Ad-Hac (2Player) support?

That's about it. Thanks to Nester J!!!

***PS: Does anybody know of a mame emu capable of playing "Tapper-Budwieser Edtion"? I'm desparate to play that on PSP!!! Oh- btw; I'de give my right eye to play WWF Wrestlefest on PSP.

parsifal968
July 26th, 2006, 18:35

in game options select use player2 instead of player1, then the start button is for player2 and you play Nick Fury.

Baboon
July 26th, 2006, 18:37
I love this emu. I do have a few questions though.

I'm sure that if u load the game then quit to the options u can select 'player 2', then go back into the game (this works for street fighter zero so i can play on the right hnd side). So u should now be able to play Nick fury, where normaly in the arcade u would need the right hand joystick for it to work.

...if that makes sense?? :D

Mr.Denny
July 26th, 2006, 18:49
Quick question chaps.

Does this work on firmware 2.6?.

grit
July 26th, 2006, 19:29
I wonder what NJ could do if he gets his hands on MAME..

Mr. Shizzy
July 26th, 2006, 19:49
I'm not sure if this works on 2.6. Try it - if it don't consider downgrading your firmware.
Thanks guys, I just beat the game as Punisher;
now I can whoop some a$$ as Nick Fury. lol
Oh btw, of all the Street Fighters availible on this emu; which do you folks think is the best?:)

Mr.Denny
July 26th, 2006, 20:01
Yeah i`ll give it a shot.

Also, while trying version one i noticed that the rom files for one game can be up to 15 individual files. Would i merely copy these into the ROM directory or zip them?.

--------EDIT---------

Tried it and IT WORKS ON FIRMWARE 2.6.

grit
July 26th, 2006, 20:54
Zipped. It only supports zipped files..

NovaKane
July 26th, 2006, 21:40
Quick question chaps.

Does this work on firmware 2.6?.

It works perfectly on fw 2.60.

NovaKane
July 26th, 2006, 21:47
Oh btw, of all the Street Fighters availible on this emu; which do you folks think is the best?:)

I was going to say SF Championship Edition at first but I'm more used to playing Hyper Fighting even though the arcade version is a lot faster. You would think the speed could at least be adjusted with a dipswitch or something. Demo mode shows the game @ normal speed which is kind of misleading. Oh well...

whitey75
July 26th, 2006, 22:01
I agree, NJ ur the man. If you can do CPS1 then MAME would be no problem at all. Would love to see you try it.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Pumped'Up
July 27th, 2006, 00:29
NJ, thanks so much again for this amazing emulator.

You are no doubt one of the best, and possibly the greatest, PSP developer to date.

ssbm_04
July 27th, 2006, 02:42
Is there a complete list for every game that can run on that emulator?

jwilds73
July 27th, 2006, 02:51
Is there a complete list for every game that can run on that emulator?

Posted in prior release thread

http://coinop.org/ArcadeSystem.aspx/A339DA4A-2233-4226-9ABA-7478D36B8984

Broonale
July 27th, 2006, 05:34
Awesome!

jwilds73
July 27th, 2006, 07:19
Just a fyi for some of the new folks. Games like Lost World requires that you have "the main rom" Forgotten World in this case. As Lost World is just the Japanese localization files. You will notice that with some of the roms that they require you to have the main rom then the localization files (if you need them). So if you need or want the game in your language make sure if needed you have the localization files if you require them.

Just to repeat Lost World is the Japanese localization files and not the rom itself. So if you want to run this game you need the Forgotten World rom. And if you wanted to or needed to read it in Japanese you'ld need the Lost World localization files.

NovaKane
July 27th, 2006, 12:10
Posted in prior release thread

http://coinop.org/ArcadeSystem.aspx/A339DA4A-2233-4226-9ABA-7478D36B8984

Actually http://mameworld.net/maws has a lot more info than coinop. On the side where the drop down menus are, just go down to drivers and select cps1.c.

I know CPS2 is probably unlikely but the game list for it PWNS...

QueadlunnRau
July 27th, 2006, 13:34
My life ... for the horde ...

NJ thank you for another great release ... and for the DAMN QUICK updates on them lol.!!!

kayhanbakid
July 27th, 2006, 14:12
will there possibly be save state in the future?

Baboon
July 27th, 2006, 14:18
What would u need a save state for? ...there just quick have-a-go arcade games.

ACID
July 28th, 2006, 05:14
I guess theres people that cant finish a game in one sitting.

Pumped'Up
July 29th, 2006, 03:58
is there a way to save high scores?

I still can't believe how awesome this emulator really is....really amazing work NJ!!! :D

TerryMathews
July 29th, 2006, 07:28
What would u need a save state for? ...there just quick have-a-go arcade games.

Knights of the Round is pretty damn long, have you ever played it to completion?

NovaKane
July 29th, 2006, 14:50
OMG, a save state is a must for this emu. Saturday Night Slam Masters is one long ass game. Even though these are arcade games, some of them do take awhile to beat.

ACID
July 29th, 2006, 14:52
Knights of the Round is pretty damn long, have you ever played it to completion?
I played it to completion its anywhere from 40 to 55 minutes depending how much you die:D

MANCHESTERUNITEDDAN
August 1st, 2006, 15:41
This is the Dog's B()!!()(ks!!! Thanks dude!

donne
August 8th, 2006, 10:08
Hey.. I thought NJ also doing CPS2 emulator for PSP ? Why some page back said he (she ?) would not do CPS2 ? Maybe I just wrong..

Anyone willing to give me a guidance to put these files and play it on my PSP ?

Knight of the Rounds.. Gakk !! It literally swallowed my allowance money years back then, and I'd never finished it. I want a payback !