PDA

View Full Version : PSP Wikipedia

N1ghtshade
July 26th, 2006, 16:41
I was wanting to put all of wikipedia onto my memory stick and be able to access it offline. So I did some research and found that you can download it here (http://http://download.wikimedia.org/static/) (and only there due to copyright restrictions). However, unzipped the english collection is about 27 gigs.

Is this project dead in the water? No way! I believe the html content can be compressed but I need to know pretty specifically the capabilities of the psp browser, all versions.

Do any versions handle java?

N1ghtshade
July 26th, 2006, 23:58
Okay so it looks like the browser on 2.0 has about the same capabilites as Netscape 4.0, at least javascript/css wise

F9zDark
July 27th, 2006, 00:48
This seems like a cool project, however, if we can view Wikipedia through the browser, doesn't that make this project pointless?

I know Links has no problems viewing wikipedia pages. I don't think the Sony browser does either.

Now a real good feature would be to make a program that will download webpages to the PSP and sync them every few days or when a connection is present.

That, to me, would seem alot more useful, and is not limited to just one site. Even then you could make an option to save the site as plain text, then people could around and download all of wikipedia without the expensive html markup or images.

N1ghtshade
July 27th, 2006, 21:00
Someone made a program like that for psp, but I don't remember where it is.

Actually the scrapbooking extension of Firefox works pretty darn good at that, it will even save embed files and follow each page several links deep.

But what if you're in the car and you suddenly want to know all bout the National Art Gallery of Bulgaria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Art_Gallery_%28Bulgaria%29) ? You don't have a wifi connection and you've never seen the page before, but you whip out your psp and there it is! the National Art Gallery of Bulgaria!

Now if only the psp had java.

Accordion
July 27th, 2006, 21:06
couldnt you just use only the text on the pages and divide it into each subject to view in a reader app

jman420
July 28th, 2006, 00:17
this sounds redundant, just connect to the internet via PSP... and open up your wikipedia...

also, how is 15GB (even compressed) ever going to fit on a generic sized memory stick??

that would be like taking the encyclopedia bratannica set and turning it into the size of a readers digest...

thats the point of the internet, storage space with information transfer to a remote system...

you may as well go buy the encyclopedia britannica set and glue it to your psp..

dalejrrocks
July 29th, 2006, 05:13
PSP does have java. doesn't it? what do the portals use for those games? 27 gigs, that's insane, you will need a lot of Memory Sticks for that. I can't even imagine downloading 27 gigs.

NoQuarter
July 29th, 2006, 06:12
sure would be great if we could connect to an external harddrive other than the datel you something around 300 gig!I did see a device a few months ago that will let 2 usb storage devices send data to each other.

jman420
July 29th, 2006, 10:48
I downloaded 12 gigabytes last week, and even on a 2ghz dual core, it took me 3 days... so it doesent make a lot ot sence to even think about 30 GB on a PSP...

and no on the HD. psp's only have memory alocation for 4GB maximum, its not possable to use more then 4GB of storage at all.. Sony may fix this if they make a new PSP model, but most likely this is just the way it is..

2 other things are

you could take all that 30GB's turn it into psp sized HTML files, and re-post them to a wiki for PSP wikipedia..

and lastly, it doesent make sence to use a psp for internet anyway, at least when I tried it on 2.0 F/W it would take longer for me to load a site on my psp then it would to load on dial up internet... it just seems like this would be a project eventualy ending up taking a lot of time( if you changed the HTML yourself, or a lot of effort ( if you wanted to use 10 memory cards) when you could go sit down on your computer and do the same thing with larger (and higher resolution) text and pictures

motz
July 29th, 2006, 11:01
PSP does have java. doesn't it? what do the portals use for those games? 27 gigs, that's insane, you will need a lot of Memory Sticks for that. I can't even imagine downloading 27 gigs.
The PSP browser doesn't support Java, it supports javascript. ;)

dalejrrocks
July 29th, 2006, 20:54
oh, i knew it was one or the other. :)

N1ghtshade
August 1st, 2006, 17:35
Actually I did some more research and the psp does support java (java lite, anyway)! just not right now. Sony has to release a plugin to the browser.

until then this project may have to take a nap...