PDA

View Full Version : Study: Videogames harm homework

wraggster
March 16th, 2010, 21:52
A new study has been published that may seem like it's pointing out the obvious when it concludes that videogames can impact on kids school work.

According to the study, young boys who receive their first console show no signs of improvement in reading or writing tests over a period of four months.

"For children without games, scores go up over time," said Robert Weis of Denison University in Ohio, co-author of the study. "For boys with games, scores remain relatively stable. You don't see the typical development in reading and writing."

The ESA responded, saying: "Can anyone be surprised that kids tend to play more with new videogames, or toys or bicycles, than with the older ones?"

To me this seems like an exercise in pointing out the obvious, what do you think?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=239387?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

VampDude
March 16th, 2010, 22:12
Videogames only harm the non-important/boring homework, I always did my homework... Although I took many days off to play my Saturn. :p

ian h
March 16th, 2010, 22:26
when i was young i used to play master system and snes alot, and i was always above my reading level for my age. I would have thought games would help improve school work as some require that you pay attention and focus, and ofcourse this is good for school work. I believe the internet is to blame for some children not doing well in school

noname1
March 16th, 2010, 22:45
They studied this?
Everyone knows this. :P

FireStag
March 17th, 2010, 00:02
Hmmm, my reading level was always pretty advanced from what I can remember. Maybe from the all RPG's I played

symbal
March 17th, 2010, 00:41
We had games consoles when i was at school but even if i had an all nighter on the Snes i always had time before school or on bus or during breaks, and when i wanted to talk to someone i actually had to open my mouth and speak to them, problem now is people stuck staring at computer or phone screen at all hours and just forget about what needs doing or use internet to do work without the real effort of walking to library and reading through a pile of books which forces you to learn more than just typing a Google search term.

levis315
March 17th, 2010, 05:07
yes ,but it should take care full of time!

nomi
March 17th, 2010, 17:00
it depends solely on the kid.. i am a gamer from whenever i can remember yet i place in the top 3 in my class... i was never restricted to play games.. this study is a mere generalization...

mike_jmg
March 17th, 2010, 22:16
pointing out the obvious.. yep

On my defense I can say I learned a lot of english from videogames, my native language is spanish

TOEFL IBT Score 109/120, thank you Kratos