PDA

View Full Version : How to Protect Your Eyes While Gaming

wraggster
July 26th, 2006, 19:21
Techzone (http://www.thetechzone.com/?m=show&id=590&page=1) have posted some tips to keep your eyes in good shape whilst gaming:

1. Sit facing the screen directly; ensure that the screen is not at an angle. This will stimulate both eyes equally.

2. Once every 15-30 minutes it is important that gamers look away from the screen and shift eye focus to objects at a distance. It could be trees or the sky or children playing. Change the eye focus to distant objects.

3. Sit at a reasonable distance from the screen. If the game is played on a television screen then sit at least 6 feet away. When playing on a computer the screen ideally should be 20-26 inches from your eyes.

4. Use the settings on the screen to reduce the glare to a comfortable level. Install an anti-glare filter.

5. Once in a while it is important to look away from the screen and blink your eyes to lubricate it.

6. Ask your eye doctor to prescribe artificial tears that will moisten your eyes.

7. At least 6-8 times a day, rub the palms of your hands together and press then on your eyes and hold for a few minutes. The warmth of your palms will relax the eye muscles.

8. Greenery soothes eyes, so glance as often as you can at green trees, bushes, or plants.

9. Do simple eye strengthening exercises as taught by yoga and other systems of healing. The exercises are easy and can be done at anytime. Rolling your eyes, focusing on your nose and then the area between your eyebrows, shifting the eye ball from left to right are all easy exercises.

10. Get a qualified eye doctor to check your vision and find out whether you need “computer glasses.” If you use contact lenses it is best you take them off whilst gaming and use glasses instead.

Agree or Disagree, let us Know :)

Video_freak
July 26th, 2006, 19:27
wow, this is a cool article. i was just thinking on this very subject :)

skibridgerbowl
July 26th, 2006, 20:11
I'd just like to say that I follow each and everyone of these guidlines to the "i" and I still manage to get 5 min of game time for every 50 I spend managing the needs of my eyes. Amazing huh...

Shiesty
July 26th, 2006, 20:35
i support any article with the word whilst in it

The_It
July 26th, 2006, 21:07
That's hard-core.

sroon
July 26th, 2006, 21:16
Im too late for this treatment!!
im sopesed to wear glasses now but i never wear them!

Accordion
July 26th, 2006, 22:30
actually my eyes are completely blurry at the moment

hmmm
is it gaming...
or alchohol...

Emeriastone
July 27th, 2006, 00:50
Well, regardless of how I play my video games and the condition of my vision, I know one thing is sure. I can't take my eyes with me when I die. Game on.

Pico
July 27th, 2006, 01:48
My ladbrokes mouse mat says all that (pretty much), but the artical failed to mention the whole process should include your arm's and hand's as well (they take more punishment, and is 100% irriversible).

emuking
July 27th, 2006, 01:53
actually my eyes are completely blurry at the moment

hmmm
is it gaming...
or alchohol...

its alcohol, dont believe the eye doctors lies they just want you to wear glasses and look nerdy :D lol

JKKDARK
July 27th, 2006, 02:57
Yeah, a good one. :)

MadMonkee
July 27th, 2006, 06:23
OR JUST FkING PLAY!! God damn! I hate the pussification of our generation, what happened to lets roll in mud and run around with scissors? Grow a set of balls will ya? These are the kids who had red ink removed from their schools because it was psychologically harming! Oh Fawk me freddy for letting the kid think he did something wrong! God damnit!!

Gizmo356
July 27th, 2006, 07:07
all you need is to know when to stop playing i stop when my eyes shrible up like a prune

Junixx
July 27th, 2006, 08:00
Me + Computer + addicting game = Me staring at he TV or PC screen for at least 3 hours without looking away.

stotheamuel
July 27th, 2006, 08:58
hmmm rules i break
all of them.. except #1 up untill last week

and before that the tv was angled for about a year...

oh well

samthegreat68
July 27th, 2006, 09:11
you also have to look up every half an hour incase on ManBearPig. they are very dangerous. and i am cereal.

R4mbo
July 27th, 2006, 12:29
Sometimes i look at my pc screen for... 24+ Hours ?
Only if i'm going to eat sth or going to toilet, rofl

mog
July 27th, 2006, 13:23
Sometimes i look at my pc screen for... 24+ Hours ?
Only if i'm going to eat sth or going to toilet, rofl
You know that's dangerous...

I had that problem when I first played FF7... I even had most of my food brought to me!

After a couple of days I got very dizzy and light headed, then I threw up.
I also couldn't stop seeing a white square image that blocked over 50% of my vision for an entire day.
Then the next day I started wearing sunglasses while playing it, until my eyes had recovered, lol! :p

FF7 still holds the record for being the only game ever to make me puke! :D

QueadlunnRau
July 27th, 2006, 14:29
Just to let you all know, I have been sitting in front of a computer screen for 12+ years over 12 hours a day (First a computer tech, now a database manager then I go home to play videogames) and my eyes are still going strong.

The only things I have noticed over time is my vision at night is not as sharp and needs more light then when I was younger. Also after sometime in front of my monitor my eyes begin to blur, that's when I take sometime out to wipe my eyes with a non-alcohol wet-nap and focus on dots on the ceiling tiles.

This article has some good points especially with the focusing away from the computer/gaming screen every so often. (You can use these times to take a pee unless you are one of those serious gamers that wear a diaper while you play).

BALL_SAC
July 31st, 2006, 10:26
I have played on the computer ever since I was 2 years old. I was playing Dark Castle on my Dads MacPlus Computer. Its now 14 years later making me 16 (for all of you idiots that cant figure 2+14) and I dont have I problems. I play video games everyday (literlaly). I dont know if im lucky, or Im just born with it. So... Does anyone have an estimate when the blurry disease will strike me?

Hawkeyefile
July 31st, 2006, 17:18
20 to 26 inches from the pc screen?!?!?!?!?! Thats way to far.