PDA

View Full Version : FrodoDS(c64) page added

Pages : [1] 2

GPF
July 27th, 2006, 16:41
Ok finally got around to doing what I need to do, here is the new home of FrodoDS

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/Frodoc64.shtml

latest sourcecode is there and the an old binary from April that I posted in the forums for a test earlier.

http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/dsd64.jpg

Troy(GPF)

ediDS
August 18th, 2006, 06:26
Hi Troy !

I tested the emulator and I think it is very good !!!

Now I want to know about the future of this emu ?

greets

edids :)

ACID
August 18th, 2006, 06:40
going to try now

GPF
August 18th, 2006, 06:42
Hi Troy !

I tested the emulator and I think it is very good !!!

Now I want to know about the future of this emu ?

greets

edids :)

thanks, well Im curruntlly working on a port of SIDplayer so hopefully based off of it I can make the sound better.

With the latest compiler though Im having problems getting the emulator working again, and haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot the source of the problem yet.

Troy(GPF)

cheatdatabase
August 20th, 2006, 09:51
hey troy
I just discovered your C64 emulator for the DS and was thrilled to try it out. unfortunately it does not work on my M3!
I can load the emulator, on the top screen I get "spring coding competition 2006", the bottom screen is white. I can't select or change anything. If I press the A button I get a keyboard on the touchscreen and on the top screen I get the C64 screen. when pressing the R button it does "load , 8,1"
sometimes it loads a game, sometimes it says "ready." and the blinking cursor below. when it loads the game, the game runs extremely slow. I'd say around 5 frames per second maximum....
I think I use the newest version of your emu. I got it from http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/Frodoc64.shtml

do you have any tips how to make it work? I would LOVE to play some C64 classics on my DS!

bytepete
August 21st, 2006, 18:52
thanks, well Im curruntlly working on a port of SIDplayer so hopefully based off of it I can make the sound better.

With the latest compiler though Im having problems getting the emulator working again, and haven't had a lot of time to troubleshoot the source of the problem yet.

Troy(GPF)

:)
Yes ! Very good ! I just hear now quality of the SIDplayer .
I think this sound is very good !! Nice work man !
First sidfile I heard was Arkanoid .............great !!

Now put this to the C64 emu and a RESET function and you got it .

Thank you GPF.

bytepete
September 25th, 2006, 18:58
Hi Troy .

Are there any news from FrodoDS ?

Did you already put the sidplayer inside the emulator ?

CU

Bytepete

GPF
September 26th, 2006, 16:16
Not yet, been busy lately. Hopefully soon I'll resume work on it.

Troy(GPF)

jimiz
October 17th, 2006, 14:30
Pleeease...take little time for this EMULATOR !!!
The EMU scene on NDS is really poor ...any new pry what burn...sleep for ever later 1 or 2 releases....

I Know...asking about that is always "lamer"...but
is nothing another to do , for us.

So I hope , something nice come also for us.

I think if you can insert one option on emulator (with sound or without sound) is a BIG nice addon, because , also now...if you play WITHOUT the solud-emulation...every game RUN nearly 100% speed!

With sound emulation , also if is bad (now) ...many games are really too SLOW and unplayable...

GOOD LUCK

GPF
October 20th, 2006, 17:44
Not yet, been busy lately. Hopefully soon I'll resume work on it.

Troy(GPF)

Last week I attempted to add streaming sound to the emulator and have been unsuccessful so far, the sound breaks the ability to load disk images, but for now here is a test build with sound disabled, its only been tested on a supercard sd so far, its using sata fat drivers so will not work with cards that are not supported by that.

Troy(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk

Kasimir2007
October 21st, 2006, 21:27
Last week I attempted to add streaming sound to the emulator and have been unsuccessful so far, the sound breaks the ability to load disk images, but for now here is a test build with sound disabled, its only been tested on a supercard sd so far, its using sata fat drivers so will not work with cards that are not supported by that.

Troy(GPF)

hello GPF and thanks for the Great Work !
I have a problem, i understand that this version is only for linkers using sata fat drivers. But, i have a G6 lite and there was a release frodo who works on my G6 lite :

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21448

This ancien version uses the romfs appended to the end of the .nds or .ds.gba file so should work for most everything......:rolleyes:

But not the new version Why ?:(

can you do a frodo compatible whith other linker ?

Thanks for answer.:)
(I am french i hope that i haven't to do faults :p :p )

xcom
October 21st, 2006, 23:46
Hi Troy any news on a new release of a new version of Frodo DS?

Pleading, grovel grovel!

GPF
October 22nd, 2006, 04:26
Hi Troy any news on a new release of a new version of Frodo DS?

Pleading, grovel grovel!

Look on previous page I just put up a new version yesterday :)

Troy(GPF)

GPF
October 22nd, 2006, 04:29
hello GPF and thanks for the Great Work !
I have a problem, i understand that this version is only for linkers using sata fat drivers. But, i have a G6 lite and there was a release frodo who works on my G6 lite :

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21448

This ancien version uses the romfs appended to the end of the .nds or .ds.gba file so should work for most everything......:rolleyes:

But not the new version Why ?:(

can you do a frodo compatible whith other linker ?

Thanks for answer.:)
(I am french i hope that i haven't to do faults :p :p )

I didn't build the romfs version, mainly because of the majority of people who don't understand how to make it work , and also the number of people who have compatible flash carts trying to use it anyway :(

I'll left the code on another computer but on monday and I'll see if I can build a version with romfs then.

Troy(GPF)

Kasimir2007
October 22nd, 2006, 09:12
I didn't build the romfs version, mainly because of the majority of people who don't understand how to make it work , and also the number of people who have compatible flash carts trying to use it anyway :(

I'll left the code on another computer but on monday and I'll see if I can build a version with romfs then.

Troy(GPF)

A great thanks ! :D
I am novice and i found that this is easy to make it! .... Hum for me :o

I know a person (AlekMaul) who works for the compatibility emulators DS and other homebrews. this is the author of MarcaDS, ColecoDS. he works with author of snemulDS for the compatibility with other linker.
I know that he have a lot of linker at home.

I know that he works same on a emulator amstrad for DS ! but this isn't ready still !!!. :)
Can be if you give the code source, i can to say him for this problem of compatibility. :rolleyes:

Or you can say him here
http://www.portabledev.com/pages/forums.php
this is the AlekMaul 's forum. He is cool.
He has successful at to do works G6 in mode Fatlib !!! :

"Après quelques heures de bataille contre les différents fichiers mélangés et pas compatible EABI, j'ai enfin réussi à faire fonctionne le G6 en mode FATLIB."
:eek:

But save dont't Works but with the time......

xcom
October 24th, 2006, 11:21
Look on previous page I just put up a new version yesterday :)

Troy(GPF)

Ooops... Delete, Delete, Delete - You're a Star, Champ, frickin' number-one, skydivin', basejumpin', really nice guy, bunny huggin' Legend!

Guess I should read the forum properly.

Good stuff, and enuf said!

xcom
October 24th, 2006, 11:34
Runs better - Still jerky in playback.

Do you think the emulator will get any faster or is Frodo just too slow in terms of how it's written and the processor it runs on?

I have Frodo on the Intel Mac and Xbox and they fly.

Kasimir2007
October 24th, 2006, 18:14
Hello Troy!

You have to build a version with romfs for other compatibility ?

I wait this for to test the new version of frodoDS!!!!
Good Works and thanks.

GPF
October 24th, 2006, 21:35
Hello Troy!

You have to build a version with romfs for other compatibility ?

I wait this for to test the new version of frodoDS!!!!
Good Works and thanks.

ok here is the romfs version of the same code, no sound as it breaks file loading for some reason.

run the createromdisk.bat or the equivelent cmds below.

genromfs -f romdisk.img -d rd -v
padbin 0x100 FrodoDS.nds
copy /b FrodoDS.nds + romdisk.img /b FrodoDS_fs.nds

rememeber this version should only be used if the fatlib version from last friday doesn't work with your hardware, post your problems here.

Troy(GPF)

Kasimir2007
October 25th, 2006, 23:14
ok here is the romfs version of the same code, no sound as it breaks file loading for some reason.

Thank you very much, i test this on my G6 lite with passcard3 and FrodoDS Works very good :D :D !
I build my version that i give for novices :

Here FrodoDS4test for G6 with games for test :
http://rapidshare.com/files/676362/Frodo4test.zip.html

And a version for put other games in rd and run createromdisk.bat for create FrodoDS_fs.nds :
http://rapidshare.com/files/676730/Frodo4testromfs.zip.html

I hope that you will put the romfs version in future version. and thanks for this.

My test here :
I try Archon,Astroblitz,Barbarian,BountyBob,Bruce lee,Cauldron,GianaSister,HERO,Impossible mission,Jumpmans,Montyontherun,Mule,Sorcery,TheGoo nies,TheNinja,WayOfTheTiger and Zorro ..... Works All good thing.

But now, this is more slow that the version of 2006-03-28 with sound ! :rolleyes: Here (version G6) :

http://rapidshare.com/files/678376/Frodo2006-03-28.zip.html

You can test and see ......

I think that the new version appears to me to be more stable that this last. But this is very low !!!!
The sound is not the cause that this low, there is another thing ....

Ah yes ! I hope to see a option to return in the menu games. because i am obliged to close
and to open DS to run other games ......
And also To add scrolling to put + than 17 games.
and .... Hum .... Spring coding competition it is finished :D , has to replace a beautifull menu.... finally it is not urgent :D !

I wish you a good improvement for the future version and I waits to test this with impatiently.:p

(Don't forget the romfs version;) )

Kasimir2007
November 8th, 2006, 21:24
Hi Troy ! :)

You began again to work on FrodoDS? :)

you have innovations has to say us???? :p

:o

Kasimir2007
November 23rd, 2006, 12:09
Hello Troy (GPF).

News on FrodoDS ???? :rolleyes:

:confused:

bytepete
November 25th, 2006, 08:41
Hello Troy (GPF).

News on FrodoDS ???? :rolleyes:

:confused:

Yes hi , Troy !

Give us a few words about status !

greets

bytepete

Kasimir2007
December 3rd, 2006, 22:51
Hi troy!
news for G6 :

News!
G6 drivers have been released!
They can be found here:
http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=11…sc&start=30

I test scumvm with this and libfat works on my G6 !!!!!

I will like to see next version of frodoDS to work with libfat on my linker G6 now.

Metaluna
December 21st, 2006, 07:27
any hope for a christmas release? :)

GPF
January 5th, 2007, 18:09
Well i didn't have much time over the holiday's to work on it, only thing I was able to get working was a partially working DS-X port, but I need to track down why its running so slow compared to my very first release, very strange.

I am thinking about starting from scratch and using the new libfat dldi patch schema so I don't have to worry about supporting every new card out there. And maybe in the process will figure out why the newer toolchain has slowed Frodo down.

Troy(GPF)

Kasimir2007
January 14th, 2007, 12:05
Well i didn't have much time over the holiday's to work on it, only thing I was able to get working was a partially working DS-X port, but I need to track down why its running so slow compared to my very first release, very strange.

I am thinking about starting from scratch and using the new libfat dldi patch schema so I don't have to worry about supporting every new card out there. And maybe in the process will figure out why the newer toolchain has slowed Frodo down.

Troy(GPF)

:thumbup:

Good news for to put DLDI drivers.
CrocoDS is great emulator Amstrad, Dspec and Speccy is great spectrum emulator. I hope to see a day FrodoDS has full speed (..... the only emulator commodore :o .)

Metaluna
January 15th, 2007, 12:07
Cool to hear some news!

dldi is indeed the way to go. As mentioned by Kasimir2007, CrocoDS (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49104) is using it. I do hope C64 emulation will reach the same level of compatibilty and speed. :thumbup:

Sektor
January 17th, 2007, 04:37
theli recompiled FrodoDS with DLDI (http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/) support:

http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=12146

I haven't tested it. Other than DLDI support, there are no other changes.

j3rk
January 18th, 2007, 18:13
Nice work! I gave my DS to my son a while back, so I hadn't been keeping up with the progress on this. I just picked up a Lite and an M3 (micro SD,) for it. I tried out FrodoDS the other night, and it's looking great. A little slow, but I'm quite impressed. The C64 is fairly tricky to emulate well, especially on limited hardware. Very cool! I'll be following closely again. :)

crookedmouth
January 29th, 2007, 00:25
Got to admit, this would be the holy grail of emulators for the ds. A c64 with a keyboard! The PSP and gpx2 are great but there is like 30% of the games and software for the c64 that a virtual keyboard like they use just wouldn't work.
Thank you GPF.Please keep up the awesome work.

Kasimir2007
February 3rd, 2007, 13:11
Hello Oh Great GPF !

News for FrodoDS ?

crookedmouth
February 4th, 2007, 07:58
Sorry to bug you again GPF, but I was wondering if there was going to be an ability to switch virtual disks in the future? So many great games have multiple disks and/or sides.

GPF
February 5th, 2007, 01:02
well been working on getting the existing code moved to latest toolchain and libnds release.

Eventually it will have the ability to switch disk, right now I am kind of need some ideas on how best to do it, from a user standpoint. If I have some ideas I can start looking into the coding part :)

Well here is my latest version thats using the dldi patching code now, so hopefully will be able to work on most hardware now.

attached is an nds file that just needs to be dldi patched and copy that and the /rd directory to your media and put your d64 files and you can also place a snapshot created from the pc version and call it jjr.fss and that is loaded from the left trigger. right trigger still does a load"*",8,1 and then run

Please give me feedback compared to previous releases.

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)

bytepete
February 5th, 2007, 19:28
First of all Thank you GPF for your time and your hard work to make such good emulator !!!!!!!
I checked the new version to the version from 11.04.2006 (v0.3) I played Giana Sisters on MoviePlayer 2.

The new version has better sound but it is slower and also the gamespeed is slower .
The Vers.0.3 is much faster .

Some Ideas: Is it possible to make it with switable functions like on/off Sound or frame skip would it be faster ?

bytepete

GPF
February 6th, 2007, 23:30
just discovered that my compiler optimization were not being used, so this new build has them.

skipframes=9 and has always been like that.

I've removed vblank during menu, so it might behave funny, i can put it back but wasn't sure at the time whether i was using it elsewhere.

Rendering directly to vram now instead of an extra copy step, so might look funny at some times.

Let me know how this version runs.

Make sure and patch for dldi for your card.

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)

GPF
February 7th, 2007, 04:59
ok finally had a chance to test the last version myself and most of the sprites were missing from everything I tested, so I have reenabled the rendering to a backbuffer and copying it to vram :)

Changed a couple of things so that its not uses exact CPU or CIA cycles so its should be a lot faster, but might be at the expense of compatibility.

But remember that if it doesn't work on the pc version of Frodo its not going to work on the ds version :)

Enjoy and please leave me some feedback, last couple of versions of been downloaded over 20 times and not a peep from anyone :(

I have jury duty tommorow so I will be playing c64 games all day while waiting around :)

Man I wish I had some ideas on implemented disk change, the code part is easy, but some kind of GUI menu ideas is what I need.

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)

bytepete
February 7th, 2007, 08:17
Hello GPF !
I have just checked the version 20707 with Movieplayer2 and Gianasisters . For me the verison is the fastetest ever !!
Loading time was very fast and sound is much better.

About swap disks function: putting 2 disks in one (if possible) and than no need to swap , but need to simulate like change for the emulator .
I hope you understand my Idea .

greets , thanks

bytepete

Diddl
February 7th, 2007, 08:22
Thank you for your work on frodo. I like it very much!!

Diddl
February 7th, 2007, 10:36
I'm sorry to say, - in this version all sprites are only yellow spots on my screen ...

vitellus
February 7th, 2007, 11:12
Hi there!
A little report.
Using SuperCard SD with 1GBSanDisk SD.
Frodo correctly DLDI patched... and...
it doesn't work:(
First, the emu says that it can't read the system roms, and that it's going to replace them with the internal emu replacements. Then The c64 screen appears, but it's not resized (so that you see only the upper left quarter) and it looks buggy. No keyboard or disc selection on the lower screen - the error messages about system roms are still there.
(note that I did put the sys roms in the /rd folder, as well as some .d64 files).

I'll try experimenting a little more.
The former Frodo worked just fine (lots of frameskip, but still a little miracle to see it running on DS!!!)
Please keep the good work!
V.

PS is it just me or DLDI patching is multiplicating compatibility problems instead of solving them? (Ok - maybe it's just me;))

Kasimir2007
February 7th, 2007, 11:53

your last version on the forum is really well, I tested same games that the old version .... this is speed and the sound is better !!! :eek: .

it is well to see that you work to improve it. I hope to see it progressing now. you can include a reset button :). I find that the keyboard does not answer .... some times.

Thanks GPF ;)

Hum .... Reset button for return in the games menu.

vitellus
February 7th, 2007, 11:53
OK - I figured out where my problem lies. I looks like it won't work with a SuperCard SD if you're using it with a 1GB microSD in combo with a MicroSD adaptor. The problem - I think - is that the DLDI patcher has one option for the SuperCard SD and one for the SD Lite with MicroSD - by using an adaptor like I use to do, you get a weird hybrid which is not tolerated, giving FAT problems (even in a methaphoric sense;))

I wrote all this because maybe there's someone else which was trying to use a microSD inside a non-lite SuperCard SD.

So I bought a normal SD card and Frodo worked just fine with most of the disks which were working in the previous release. So far, only Impossible mission did not work (intro screen ok - it resets before "another visitor..." speech).

I'll test more asap:)

V.

crookedmouth
February 8th, 2007, 02:42
God I really want to test this and help, but I still haven't got my DS yet! :(
I can't run it through a DS emulator anymore.(which I'm sure was no true test anyway)

Some ideas for disk swap.

Would it be possible to assign your "attach disk" function to the select button(or combo of L and R). When pressed it could just bring you back to the rd folder browser that is seen at start-up but without reseting the c64?

Perhaps assign a combo of button presses to open a small mini menu that you can choose attach disk,reset c64 or swap joysticks. If possible/necessary in the future you could add user defined frameskip if some games run better than others. The attach disk function would just browse rd folder again and return to current loaded rom.

hope these aren't dumb ideas :P
I am going to do everything in my power to get my DS asap.

Thank you again Troy.

Metaluna
February 8th, 2007, 09:11
Really huge improvement over previous release! :thumbup:

Sound is incredible! :)

GPF
February 8th, 2007, 16:05
God I really want to test this and help, but I still haven't got my DS yet! :(
I can't run it through a DS emulator anymore.(which I'm sure was no true test anyway)

Some ideas for disk swap.

Would it be possible to assign your "attach disk" function to the select button(or combo of L and R). When pressed it could just bring you back to the rd folder browser that is seen at start-up but without reseting the c64?

Perhaps assign a combo of button presses to open a small mini menu that you can choose attach disk,reset c64 or swap joysticks. If possible/necessary in the future you could add user defined frameskip if some games run better than others. The attach disk function would just browse rd folder again and return to current loaded rom.

hope these aren't dumb ideas :P
I am going to do everything in my power to get my DS asap.

Thank you again Troy.

nope sound good to me at least till I figure out how to add a proper menu to allow selection of all the Frodo Preferences.

I played around this morning with changing the code to allow left trigger to bring up the d64 selection screen, and have got it partially working, for some reason its not picking up the new disk selection, so I will resume working on it tonight probably.

Joystick selection is done with the select key.

Still need to add a reset method.

It is possible to test using No$gba, but you have to make a fat12 disk image(FCSR) and padbin the ds.gba file, append fcsr image, and then use my fcsr dldi patch and the resulting ds.gba file works in emulators, FrodoDS seems to only work in no$gba though, Desmume 6 seems to freeze after the selection of the disk image.

Troy(GPF)

crookedmouth
February 8th, 2007, 16:35
Thanks for that info on emulation, i didn't know about joystick swapping either. :)

edit: darn I can't figure out how to do all that, lol. Don't suppose you could post that ds.gba file. Only if it's not a bother, the important thing is your awesome emulator. :)

GPF
February 8th, 2007, 22:12
well i think i got the disk selection working, and I have for now made the start button do a fast reset.

now left trigger no longer loads snapshots(as I keep hitting that everytime I am playing a game and it loads my test snapshot lol), so now left trigger brings up the list of d64 files in the /rd folder and allows you to select which is mounted on drive 8

right trigger still types LOAD"*",8,1 and then RUN after it is done loading.

hopefully get to test on my hardware later tonight.

Troy(GPF)

Kasimir2007
February 8th, 2007, 22:48
Hello GPF !!!

I am happy that you works on a menu with option. it is what it missed.

I tested a lot of games, the problem this is that when I put more that 17 games ...... I cannot go down low to see of another games. Limited at 17 games.:( :( :( (this is a problem!!!!)

I tested :
Barbarian, Karnov, Green Beret, Ghost Chaser, Bounty Bob, great giana sister, jumpman, Mr Do, Pole Position, cauldron, Rygar, Sorcery, Pitfall 2, Way of the tiger.
they are all playable ! The compatibility is very Good ! :thumbup:
Only Bruce lee Bug (graphic).
some games make me think has atari 800XL ! (Pole position, Mr DO, Gost Chaser ....)

a option for return to menu games and reset will be
welcome !

Keep Work .... !
I waiting for next version and I tested more games.... because to make a reset all times to test another games is stressing .;)
the next version should be excellent to correct this. :eek:

ah yes! if you can improve the screen of bottom, I find that the keyboard all alone is not very pretty. that will give an additional charm has frodoDS.

GPF
February 8th, 2007, 23:53
OK tested on my hardware and it seems to work.

Some stuff doesn't want to reset when I press the start button though.

I haven't tried multiple disk games to see if it works yet, but i can switch disks and load other things after doing a reset.

Let me know how it works.

Thanks,
Troy(GPF)

crookedmouth
February 9th, 2007, 01:23
Wow this is incredible news for the DS community, seriously, two days and 4 test releases. I can't say it enough, Thank you.

nyuk1998
February 9th, 2007, 04:02
Excellent job! I'm gonna play some Hunchback.

Metaluna
February 9th, 2007, 06:51
I've tested a bunch of games with the latest release and it's just getting better and better ! :)

Voice is now perfectly heard on the title screen in Ghostbusters, Commando and Rambo are now really great to play with...

There's still the collision issue with Fort Apocalypse (impossible to take some fuel without crashing) though...

Disk selection and fast reset are really handy additions!

With all of this, launching FrodoDS is no just about testing some C64 games on the DS anymore, but playing and enjoying them all the way!

Bravo GPF! :thumbup:

GPF
February 9th, 2007, 07:30
I've tested a bunch of games with the latest release and it's just getting better and better ! :)

Voice is now perfectly heard on the title screen in Ghostbusters, Commando and Rambo are now really great to play with...

There's still the collision issue with Fort Apocalypse (impossible to take some fuel without crashing) though...

Disk selection and fast reset are really handy additions!

With all of this, launching FrodoDS is no just about testing some C64 games on the DS anymore, but playing and enjoying them all the way!

Bravo GPF! :thumbup:

:) I am enjoying them also, have to remember to keep working on it lol

This is a port of the normal line version of Frodo and I can't get Fort Apocalypse to work on it either, works fine in the Frodo SC (cycle version) but I'm pretty sure this version would be to slow for the ds.
I was able to get some gas this evening while testing Fort Apocalypse, not sure if its using the "KERNEL ROM" that comes with the pc version(put in /rd folder) or if I was just getting lucky, i kept slow lower my helicopter and shooting the fuel station and either it would lower and i could get some gas or a weird sprite would appear and i would crash into it lol.

I need to figure out how to get the menu to work with more then 18 d64 games, and add some more preferences to the touchscreen.

thanks everyone for your comments, keep them coming :) I hang out in irc chat room most of the day and usually am looking for tester of Frodo and other random things, so come on by :) #dsdev on irc.blitzed.org and #dcemu on irc.efnet.net

Troy(GPF)

Reppa
February 9th, 2007, 11:46
GPF you rocks, i can just give you a big thanks from all C64 fan like me who love your project ^^

Kasimir2007
February 9th, 2007, 12:34
The new version is :thumbup:

I can start again another game without restart DS !!! Thanks for this GPF.

The emulation is better (Speed and Sound) ....

continue you make very good works ;) .

crookedmouth
February 10th, 2007, 00:14
Just wondering, has anyone tried multiple disk games?

bytepete
February 10th, 2007, 09:04
Hello !

Yes I checked until now some Multi disk Games .
My first test was Seven Cities of Gold (With data Disk)
But it is freezing after some seconds. I checked same Game on PC frodo and on the same screen it is freezing . So I am not worry about FrodoDS !!!!

After Lemmings, PFS , Curse of something I checked
Newsroom but my newsroomdisk (D64) is defective!?:mad:

I checked it on other PC-C64 Emulators and same not loading !:confused:

I checked by loading (Load"$",8 ) and list and reset
change disk and again directory the function of Disk changing works perfect but I still need to check with games .

GPF please put on X-Button LOAD"$",8 and on Y-Button LIST ! It will help to load the directory faster . Also I would like to have a drive LED on the lower screen to know if it is still loading or already freezed .
The RESET Fuction is very good Thank you !!
The speed and sound great !!!!!:p

Bytepete :cool:

GPF
February 10th, 2007, 10:17
Hello !

Yes I checked until now some Multi disk Games .
My first test was Seven Cities of Gold (With data Disk)
But it is freezing after some seconds. I checked same Game on PC frodo and on the same screen it is freezing . So I am not worry about FrodoDS !!!!

After Lemmings, PFS , Curse of something I checked
Newsroom but my newsroomdisk (D64) is defective!?:mad:

I checked it on other PC-C64 Emulators and same not loading !:confused:

I checked by loading (Load"$",8 ) and list and reset
change disk and again directory the function of Disk changing works perfect but I still need to check with games .

GPF please put on X-Button LOAD"$",8 and on Y-Button LIST ! It will help to load the directory faster . Also I would like to have a drive LED on the lower screen to know if it is still loading or already freezed .
The RESET Fuction is very good Thank you !!
The speed and sound great !!!!!:p

Bytepete :cool:

In the meantime grab the "KERNEL ROM" that comes with the pc version(put in /rd folder)

It enables some special features if you check the kernel.html in the pc doc folder you see a bunch of cool keyboard shortcuts, ie F7 does load"$",8
and F1 does LIST, F5 types LOAD and F3 types RUN:

Thanks for testing,
Troy(GPF)

nyuk1998
February 10th, 2007, 17:03
Works great with 14 roms in the directory.

Metaluna
February 10th, 2007, 18:39
I was able to get some gas this evening while testing Fort Apocalypse, not sure if its using the "KERNEL ROM" that comes with the pc version(put in /rd folder) or if I was just getting lucky, i kept slow lower my helicopter and shooting the fuel station and either it would lower and i could get some gas or a weird sprite would appear and i would crash into it lol.

Shooting the fuel station worked, thanks for the advice! :)

crookedmouth
February 11th, 2007, 06:25
Can you load snapdhots saved in PC Frodo from the rd folder?

GPF
February 11th, 2007, 08:52
Can you load snapdhots saved in PC Frodo from the rd folder?

In an older build you could if you named it jjr.fss, the left trigger loaded it.

I replaced the left trigger functionality to select a new disk to mount on drive 8.

I need to learn more about the touchscreen so I can add button for menu options to load/save snapshots and set all the other preferences still.

Maybe i'll add it back to the x or y button, would be nice to beable to load/save snapshots.

Troy(GPF)

GPF
February 11th, 2007, 09:50
sounded like a great idea so I decided to implement it real quick, now X button loads the pc created snapshot called /rd/jjr.fss .

Also I think I fixed the reset issue I was seeing in some games.

Enjoy this new test version, patch with dldi etc.

Troy(GPF)

Kasimir2007
February 11th, 2007, 13:14
Well !

I tested the FrodoDS21107.

I can't use the option "joystick" with : Bounty Bob, Pole Position, Mr Do, Barbarian in this version. With the old version, I could play the joystick by pressing touch "select". :(
.... I don't understand however with Green Beret or Karnov, I can play with the pad.....

this is possible to put other .fss and to run it ?:confused: . I tried Archon.fss but when i pressing the touch "x" .... that to run jumpman but nothing other.

thanks !!! :thumbup: now, I can see more games in menu (more that 18!), but there is a shift, that does not launch the game that I choose. but the game before.

the compatibility and the emulation is GOOD :) . The sound is not perfect.

thanks GPF !

(J'espere que je n'ai pas fait d'erreur de traduction :o )

Kasimir2007
February 11th, 2007, 16:38
other bugs :
I put +130 games in /rd .... When I run a game, after load and i play .... the emulator freeze.

nyuk1998
February 11th, 2007, 17:42
On the bottom screen, (game load screen), ther's no space between the line "to mount on drive b" and the first game. When I try to run the first game, the cursor doesn't go up to it. It stops at the second game. After the last game there is a blank space which really loads the game before the space. I guess what I'm trying to say is all the games in my list are playable, you just have to load the game under the one you want.

EDIT: Never mind my babbling. I see Kasimir2007 already covered the issue. :rofl:

GPF
February 11th, 2007, 19:24
which hardware are you guys using?

On my M3SD , there isn't an off by one problem. Only problem I have is that after #16 in the list my menu doesn't scroll. I am considering switch to the menu system used by picodrive the genesis emulator.

I am seeing the joystick swapping problem also and will try to get that fixed.

for snapshots it has to be named jjr.fss to load with x button.

Troy(GPF)

nyuk1998
February 11th, 2007, 19:41
I'm using a supercard cf and superkey.

Kasimir2007
February 11th, 2007, 20:40
which hardware are you guys using?

On my M3SD , there isn't an off by one problem. Only problem I have is that after #16 in the list my menu doesn't scroll. I am considering switch to the menu system used by picodrive the genesis emulator.

I am seeing the joystick swapping problem also and will try to get that fixed.

for snapshots it has to be named jjr.fss to load with x button.

Troy(GPF)

Ok Troy for .fss,

I 'm using M3 DS simply with micro SD 1go.
it is strange too. When I put a lot of games in /rd, FrodoDS bug (143 games) ....

GPF
February 11th, 2007, 21:42
OK here is a new version that implements picodrive's file chooser to select which disk you want to mount on drive 8.

also I think I fixed the select button for select which joystick port you want.

Troy(GPF)

nyuk1998
February 11th, 2007, 21:56
Now that's damn sweeeeeet! Thanx GPF!

2jaxx
February 11th, 2007, 23:21
This one crashes on the first touchscreen interaction after loading a disk. I am using M3 Simply.

GPF
February 11th, 2007, 23:37
This one crashes on the first touchscreen interaction after loading a disk. I am using M3 Simply.

just tested it on my DS-X and I am seeing a similiar issue. I'll see if I can get it working, might be a slot-1 issue?
But it works fine on my m3sd
Troy(GPF)

Pollux1977
February 11th, 2007, 23:48
Frodo DS is working now with the Max Media Dock (DLDI patched). Can somebody confirm that the sound output is heavily distorted ? It´s nearly impossible to recognize some of the tunes, is this a known issue or something which only happens with the MMD ?

Another important thing would be a true drive emulation like Vice has integrated, only kernel based loaders are working, custom fastloaders just freeze.

GPF
February 12th, 2007, 00:35
Frodo DS is working now with the Max Media Dock (DLDI patched). Can somebody confirm that the sound output is heavily distorted ? It´s nearly impossible to recognize some of the tunes, is this a known issue or something which only happens with the MMD ?

Another important thing would be a true drive emulation like Vice has integrated, only kernel based loaders are working, custom fastloaders just freeze.

Yeah I still have some work to do on sound, it is heavily distorted and I haven't quite worked out why yet.

And true 1541 drive emulation is possible, just don't have it enabled or a way to set it yet, it is very very slow. When I have a way to enable it, I would recommend making a snapshot from pc version and start from it lol

Good to hear that its working on MMD though :)

Troy(GPF)

nyuk1998
February 12th, 2007, 03:57
Sound distorted on some games on supercard cf also. Other than that, working great.

2jaxx
February 12th, 2007, 11:09
just tested it on my DS-X and I am seeing a similiar issue. I'll see if I can get it working, might be a slot-1 issue?
But it works fine on my m3sd
Troy(GPF)

The former builds without the PicoDrive menu worked fine though, except the known issues concerning the corrupted selection screen where lines get mixed up. I guess the slot1-bug is a result of the recent changes.

Kasimir2007
February 12th, 2007, 12:44
This is OK on my M3 DS simply.

Just a problem. the number of games in repertory /rd.

I had 150 games in /rd = FrodoDS bug

Now I put 100 games, it work.
I find this emulator more and more GOOD.

nyuk1998
February 12th, 2007, 14:00
Hell yeah! I couldn't put my DS down last night. Played Rastan and Space Taxi for 3 hours.

GPF
February 12th, 2007, 16:14
The former builds without the PicoDrive menu worked fine though, except the known issues concerning the corrupted selection screen where lines get mixed up. I guess the slot1-bug is a result of the recent changes.

Yeah same thing on my ds-x, I did discover last night if I change my mixbuffer size, or disable sound mixing it works but then either worse clicking sound or no sound :(

How does it work for Kasimir2007 on the m3 simply though very strange, and not for you.

different revisions? different dldi driver version?

Not sure if the max limit you are seeing for number disks though, there is no code limit so either you have so many files on your card that its running out of memory reading all the names in lol, or some kind of corruption on your card?, I haven't tried more then 20 d64 files.

Troy(GPF)

GPF
February 12th, 2007, 16:16
Hell yeah! I couldn't put my DS down last night. Played Rastan and Space Taxi for 3 hours.

:) yeah I have been playing none stop M.U.L.E and Jumpman.

Troy(GPF)

nyuk1998
February 12th, 2007, 17:08
Here's a dumb question. Is there a way to convert .t64 or .prg to .d64?

Kasimir2007
February 12th, 2007, 17:21
I have 2 linker M3 ds simply and G6 lite. I will test
on my G6 lite for to see if i have the same problem that on M3DS simply.

100 games it is already not badly. :). :D

I test : 1942, Airwolf, Antiriad, arkanoid .... they work!

Bombjack ..... it say me " searching for *.... ?file not found error." . other games also. I think that there are bad dump ! :p .

remain has to optimize speed and sound, and FrodoDS will be perfect ..... :rolleyes:

nyuk1998
February 12th, 2007, 17:58
Added a couple more games to /rd folder. Have 46 total. Now emulator freezes.

bytepete
February 12th, 2007, 18:12
Hi ! :)

Yeah !! Since two weeks this forum is burning and the emulator is growing ....cool !

The idea with picodrive's file chooser was very good !

I was playing The Train my alltime favorite !! :p

I could not test multi disk Games all my Games with multi disk was like freezing . Lemmings , PFS , 3DGamemaker (o.k. nobody want to make a 3d game on DS but for testing !! :D ) all this not working !:confused:

Single Games runs very good ... I am still using Movie Player 2 . And no problem with file or disk selection . And funny for me to see the small cracktros before games starting .

Thank you !:thumbup:

CU ! :cool:

Kasimir2007
February 12th, 2007, 18:26
Added a couple more games to /rd folder. Have 46 total. Now emulator freezes.

on my m3 ds simply :
143 games = emulator LOAD the game and freeze in the moment to play.
95 games, or a little more = no problem.

Test on my G6 lite :
With 143 games the emulator freeze. emulator freeze when to run the game.

I play drelbs like a kid :p :D . this is very good ! the same that Atari 800XL. and ghost chaser Rhaaaaa !

here a very sympathetic site with full reviews :
http://www.lemon64.com/

;)

nyuk1998
February 12th, 2007, 18:29
Anybody else with the same problem on supercard cf? I'm just wondering if I stuck a bad rom in the directory.

GPF
February 12th, 2007, 18:44
Anybody else with the same problem on supercard cf? I'm just wondering if I stuck a bad rom in the directory.

Maybe try running an Error check on your CF card and scan for bad sectors?

try formating the cf card and put everything back on, try a different brand cf card?

I'll try adding a bunch of d64 files tonight and see if I have same problem on my m3sd.

Troy(GPF)

nyuk1998
February 12th, 2007, 19:46
I'll try that. But I did go back to the previous version of frodoDS and it worked.

Kasimir2007
February 12th, 2007, 19:51
GPF, You can to do a big keyboard. (9/10eme of screen of bottom) ?

nyuk1998
February 12th, 2007, 22:36
Reformatted the cf card. No luck. Going to run an error check next. If that don't work, I'll just take some of the games off.

EDIT: Just ran chkdsk and it found no errors on the card. I'll try downloading the current version and repatching the dldi. If that don't work, maybe just stick with the previous version.

EDIT AGAIN: Took all but 23 games off - now it works. Go figure. :confused:

GPF
February 13th, 2007, 06:59
GPF, You can to do a big keyboard. (9/10eme of screen of bottom) ?

I got the keyboard from Headkaze, not really sure how to do that unfortunetly, my plan eventually was to have the space above the keyboard to have clickable icons to do certain actions, ie switch joysticks, etc.

Troy(GPF)

GPF
February 13th, 2007, 07:00
on my m3 ds simply :
143 games = emulator LOAD the game and freeze in the moment to play.

Test on my G6 lite :
With 143 games the emulator freeze. emulator freeze when to run the game.

I play drelbs like a kid :p :D . this is very good ! the same that Atari 800XL. and ghost chaser Rhaaaaa !

here a very sympathetic site with full reviews :
http://www.lemon64.com/

;)

Finally tried it with about 125 files and had a lot of problems also, I'll asked the picodrive author about his code and see if he knows how to fix it.

Troy(GPF)

xcom
February 13th, 2007, 10:07
Mine gets to the intro screen of any game than hangs, only have 30 roms in the rd directory.

Basically the program goes nuts, its as if the keys are being pressed as soon as the game loads.

Eg: the menu on Head over Heels just cycles over and over like the spacebar is held down until it crashes!:(

Dropped the number of roms to 3, no difference!

It looks much faster than prevoious versions even for the brief few seconds the emulator runs and then crashes.

Using an M3 SD - Passcard 3.

WATTS
February 13th, 2007, 11:42
First off let me say a big thank you for all your hard work Troy. :thumbup:
Without clever people like you i wouldnt have the option to use an emulator on my DS so im sure you hear it all the time but thanks all the same for all the work you are putting into coding and tweaking this emulator for everyone here.
The CBM 64 was my "playstation" as a kid and i have so many fond memories of the 80's its untrue. Anyone remember the zzap 64 magazine which was also awesome? :)
Anyway i better get out what i want to ask or else i will be remenissing all day on the C64.

First off i have a technical issue with frodo and then i have an idea regarding that "extra space" above the keyboard and how it could be used.

firstly my specs are:

nintendo DS lite
M3 Simply DS rev 1 (firmware 1.2)
sandisk micro sd car 1gb

Firstly i download the fist frodo ds file which implimented the dldi and patched that with the r4/m3 ds simply file and it started crashing (top screen was corrupt) then i tried it a few more times and the screen at top was fine. however i couldnt get the games to load. it would find them but when selecting them it just put me to the c64 main screen without loading the games. right shoulder button would not work either. "syntax file not found" etc.
then i tried the newer version with the menu and i still and to this day cannot load the games.

What am i doung wrong, what is the exact process for loading games? Is it simply selecting on a game and pressing a button?

Any help would be truly appreciated or even better could someone who has a working patched "dldi" frodo version working with the m3 simply / R4 attach it up here so i can download that to try it out please.

Now for my suggestion regarding that "extra space" above the keyboard.

why not intergrate the the touchscreen keyboard and the scrolling game menu at the same time so both can be displayed.
So what you have once frodo loads up is the keyboard at bottom with the scrollable game list at top.
now here is the clever bit. with a button on the ds (preferably the L shoulder button) you can make the keyboard dissapear or appear so u can show more games on the list or just have it split.
Also soft reset would bring you back to the split bottom screen (keyboard / game list).
Also having a touch screen scroll bar added to the game list so not only can you use the touchscreen keyboard but you could scroll with the touchscreen.
and if possible having the game list text in white while all other info text in red would give a nice seperation from actual text info and your roms /games available to select.
It just seems more intergrated to me to have it this way round but hey what do i know im no coder just a graphics designer at heart.

Here's a screenshot of my idea on layout:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/dj_watts/c64.jpg

Its only a suggestion, feel free to tell me to shut up if you want.

Thanks in advance.

GPF
February 13th, 2007, 18:27
Mine gets to the intro screen of any game than hangs, only have 30 roms in the rd directory.

Basically the program goes nuts, its as if the keys are being pressed as soon as the game loads.

Eg: the menu on Head over Heels just cycles over and over like the spacebar is held down until it crashes!:(

Dropped the number of roms to 3, no difference!

It looks much faster than prevoious versions even for the brief few seconds the emulator runs and then crashes.

Using an M3 SD - Passcard 3.

I tested about 150 d64 files last night on my M3SD and occasionally had hiccups with it reading the filelist in. But most of the time I was able to navigate fine through all the files, its seemed like anything past the first 25 though didn't work lol.

So my guess is either there are still some issues with the new directory scanning code of the toolchain and libfat. Or some kind of incompatibilities with certain sd/cf cards. Maybe I need to go back to old menu or a completly new implementation.

Troy(GPF)

GPF
February 13th, 2007, 19:08
First off let me say a big thank you for all your hard work Troy. :thumbup:
Without clever people like you i wouldnt have the option to use an emulator on my DS so im sure you hear it all the time but thanks all the same for all the work you are putting into coding and tweaking this emulator for everyone here.
The CBM 64 was my "playstation" as a kid and i have so many fond memories of the 80's its untrue. Anyone remember the zzap 64 magazine which was also awesome? :)
Anyway i better get out what i want to ask or else i will be remenissing all day on the C64.

First off i have a technical issue with frodo and then i have an idea regarding that "extra space" above the keyboard and how it could be used.

firstly my specs are:

nintendo DS lite
M3 Simply DS rev 1 (firmware 1.2)
sandisk micro sd car 1gb

Firstly i download the fist frodo ds file which implimented the dldi and patched that with the r4/m3 ds simply file and it started crashing (top screen was corrupt) then i tried it a few more times and the screen at top was fine. however i couldnt get the games to load. it would find them but when selecting them it just put me to the c64 main screen without loading the games. right shoulder button would not work either. "syntax file not found" etc.
then i tried the newer version with the menu and i still and to this day cannot load the games.

What am i doung wrong, what is the exact process for loading games? Is it simply selecting on a game and pressing a button?

Any help would be truly appreciated or even better could someone who has a working patched "dldi" frodo version working with the m3 simply / R4 attach it up here so i can download that to try it out please.

Now for my suggestion regarding that "extra space" above the keyboard.

why not intergrate the the touchscreen keyboard and the scrolling game menu at the same time so both can be displayed.
So what you have once frodo loads up is the keyboard at bottom with the scrollable game list at top.
now here is the clever bit. with a button on the ds (preferably the L shoulder button) you can make the keyboard dissapear or appear so u can show more games on the list or just have it split.
Also soft reset would bring you back to the split bottom screen (keyboard / game list).
Also having a touch screen scroll bar added to the game list so not only can you use the touchscreen keyboard but you could scroll with the touchscreen.
and if possible having the game list text in white while all other info text in red would give a nice seperation from actual text info and your roms /games available to select.
It just seems more intergrated to me to have it this way round but hey what do i know im no coder just a graphics designer at heart.

Here's a screenshot of my idea on layout:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m319/dj_watts/c64.jpg

Its only a suggestion, feel free to tell me to shut up if you want.

Thanks in advance.

Look like a good idea, unfortunetly I don't know how to do that :( I'll look into though.

Maybe its the particular version of dldi patcher that you are using?

I spent my childhood with the vic-20 and c64 and that was the reason I decided to port this, I love the c64 :)

Technically the way it should work is you start Frodo, it list the d64 files on your card, you select the file with the a button. C64 starts, you either type load"*",8,1 and it should load the disk. Or you can press the right trigger to automate the type of that.

Troy(GPF)

spinal_cord
February 13th, 2007, 21:30
My only suggestions so far -

Have an option to turn off sound (might this speed up emulation?)

Clip the left+right borders completly, and size the screen so that the top+bottom borders ar 16 pixels (main screen them being 256x160) this would give a slightly better look to the screen, keeping as close as possible to the correct aspect ratio.

[general frodo question]
Has anyone ever got creatures 2 to work in frodo? I cant seem to load the second disk.

nyuk1998
February 13th, 2007, 21:40
Just out of curiosity, will this ever be able to support t64 files?

gho
February 13th, 2007, 22:22
Hi all!

GPF, thanks for porting Frodo to the DS. I highly appreciate this, as I spent some years of my youth with this machine. And it turned me on to computers.

However, as I see some of you experience problems with loading games, well the reason is simple.

In the past, we had some tools to change the appearance of the directories just to make the directory look cool and to show off. Some entries weren't referring to files.

So

LOAD"*",8,1

won't work in all cases.

Try the following.

Load the directory first:
LOAD"$",8

Examine the directory with
LIST

and then load file you want, e.g.

LOAD"URI*",8,1

RUN of course will run the program.

The numbers before the program names in the directory show the block size of the file on the disk.

You might want to try some of the following just for fun:

10 FOR I=1 TO 255
20 POKE 53281,I
30 NEXT
40 GOTO 10
RUN

SYS 64738 also a timeless classic.

However, there are some issues with Frodo I would like to mention.

1. Distorted sound, poor SID. How I would LOVE to use cybertracker on the DS! :eek:

2. Sound is out of sync (lag). It can be experienced in uridium's reaction game part.

3. Characters are badly readable, probably due to a scaling issue.

However: Great! :thumbup:

chimpwithalimp
February 13th, 2007, 23:18
Thank you, thank you for making this C64 emulator - please don't slow down or give up! I'm originally from Ireland, and like WATTS, I grew up on the C64 and reading ZZAP64. Might I add to WATTS, that you are a legend for having the Zzap sizzler as an avatar!!! Did you kow about the ZZap fansite where you can read the previous magazines (http://www.zzap64.co.uk/)?

I'm having the same issue as WATTS, with more or less identical specs. I have a DS lite, an R4 cartridge, and a 1gb Sandisk microSD.
I purposely have chosen games to try that I've seen others have gotten going, by screenshots earlier in the forum. Paradroid for example. So, I got the llatest FrodoDS, used DLDI to make it R4 compatible, put the rd directory in the root,with my selected roms in there (10 at most).

It loads Frodo fine, gives me the list of games, and perhaps three of them work (Ghosts and Goblins, Aztec Challenge and Ghostbusters). Paradroid, Monty on the Run, Auf Weidersen Monty, Last Ninja, and just about every other game I've tried has not worked. When I select any other game, even ones people have said they have gotten working, it goes back to the C64 Basic screen, ad when I press the right trigger it returns

LOAD"*",8,1

SEARCHING FOR *
?FILE NOT FOUND ERROR
READY.
RUN

READY

I noticed in a more recent post than WATTS, someone has suggested manually seaching through the games via basic, and I'll give that a shot, but other than that - please, if anyone else knows a cure, or if anyone has the same issue let us know! :thumbup:

gho
February 13th, 2007, 23:23
I noticed in a more recent post than WATTS, someone has suggested manually seaching through the games via basic, and I'll give that a shot, but other than that - please, if anyone else knows a cure, or if anyone has the same issue let us know! :thumbup:

The cure simply is to LOAD and LIST the directory and then load the program you want.

LOAD"*",8 always tries to load the first entry in the directory, but this is not necessarily a PRG (programm).

chimpwithalimp
February 13th, 2007, 23:32
Thanks gho, I just tried your method and it certainly got further - Paradroid loaded up, but in the end did not work. I think thats a different story though, and at least the trickier games are individually loadable for me through your suggestion. WATTS, give it a shot!

Edit: I just tried one or two other games there, and they are found, and load up, but crash soon after, before I can get to start them. I'm sure I've followed all instructions so far, and can only think that perhaps the M3 Simply/R4 version is very troublesome

WATTS
February 14th, 2007, 09:11
Look like a good idea, unfortunetly I don't know how to do that :( I'll look into though.

I just hope i can be of some help. If you need any help with icons or anything realted to possibly skinning frodo or adding icons then let me know and i will gladly help out where i can.

Maybe its the particular version of dldi patcher that you are using?

Version says its 03.2.00 in the properties of the dlditool32.exe file.
Is this the correct dldi to be using? If not is there a link you could provide to one that is verified with dldi patching with frodo?

I spent my childhood with the vic-20 and c64 and that was the reason I decided to port this, I love the c64 :)

The Vic20 was my first ever computer, you remember those games you could write code / basic straight into the computer? I had a list of some code i typed in once for some kind of space game which had some errors on it but i managed to get it working eventually.
Then i was going to get the Commodore 16 one christmas after looking at one in a department store with my parents but i did prefer the CBM 64 next to it with ghostbusters running on it but my parents surprised me after all and i ended up getting the CBM 64 anyway. Thank god for that!!

Technically the way it should work is you start Frodo, it list the d64 files on your card, you select the file with the a button. C64 starts, you either type load"*",8,1 and it should load the disk. Or you can press the right trigger to automate the type of that.

Well i get everything working correctly apart from the last step.
When i press the right trigger to run the game once at c64 desktop i get:

LOAD"*",8,1

SEARCHING FOR *
?FILE NOT FOUND ERROR
READY.
RUN

EDIT:
hmm i got bruce lee working now seems to be working fine. Must of been an isolated issue but its sorted itself out now.
Problem was with the right shoulder button setup/code was just exiting straight to error.
after pressing right shoulder button.
now its putting a space after you choose a game and then when you press the right shoulder it works fine.
Very weird but hey its now working!!
Just going through some roms now and they seem fine.

However i have noticed on one of your earlier releases that i am using 20-00-80 version? that where my pointer is and the game i select is different to what loads up.
Not to worry though because i am going to try the newer version.

Thanks for the help!! ;)

EDIT2: Some games are not working and possiby the version of the game i have could of been the issue?

Just thought i would add to it because it may help others who experience a similar issue.

Thanks.

WATTS
February 14th, 2007, 09:34
Hi chimpwithalimp,

Glad to see others around the world grew up with a similar common buzz with the C64 as a kid! ;)

I have been back to the official zzap fan site from time to time to remenice at the gool old days. ;)
Back in the days of the CBM64, computer gaming was relatively new (well apart from the ATARI system) and because it was my first proper experience it just seemed magical. The WOW factor was much more than your DX10 fancy graphics you have today. Its hard to explain because today the graphics look totally dated on the C64 but back then i think i got absorbed into the game so much that i was in that C64 universe and it didnt really matter anyway.

Oh those were the days.

Im at work now but i will try the suggestions above later and from the sounds of it i should be able to get the other games working fine.

Troy do you thing what gho pointed out can be fixed in frodo to stop it happening again in the future?
Frodo DS needs to be fully workable with 0 erors out of the box so to speak.
I have a 6 year old son but he wont know how to press load, LOAD"URI*",8,1 run etc.

I would love him to be able to choose a game and load it no problems and know that the games he is playing are the very same i did as a kid around his age (think i was 8 though).

Thanks.

WATTS
February 14th, 2007, 10:39
Ok i tried the newer version with the scrollable list but it seems worse in the following respect:

flashing C64 cursor is gone.
keyboard doesnt work all the time (even after pressing start)

Same loading of game issues as previous releases.

Havn't tested:

Load the directory first:
LOAD"$",8

Examine the directory with
LIST

and then load file you want, e.g.

LOAD"URI*",8,1

RUN of course will run the program.

As per previous question can you not look into this loading of games properly troy?

gho
February 14th, 2007, 11:48
As per previous question can you not look into this loading of games properly troy?

What troy is doing is porting an emulator. We loaded our games on the C64 like I described above, so the way it is, is the "proper" way.

Putting in extra functionality to load a disks directory and subsequently a program is superfluous from an emulator point of view. I find the sound issue much more critical.

Just load the games the way you did when you were using the real thing.

chimpwithalimp
February 14th, 2007, 13:11

Shift + Run/stop
"Press Play on Tape"

That was about as tricky as it got for me. :)

I understand that the roms we're using are d64 not t64, but still I wonder what the ratio of games that work vs ones that don't work is, due to the right trigger automating code that looks for the PRG file as the first entry.

Its 2am here, and personally I can't think of a better way to do it than Troy is doing it right now, and even if I could, I certainly couldn't code it. Don't think for a moment I'm unhappy - the complete opposite is true. This is easily the best homebrew project out there in my opinion.

However, if there was a decent, simple method to get the right trigger loading automation working then there would be less confused folks wondering if they were doing something wrong, or if the game rom was incompatible, or if their card supports FrodoDS at all.

Are T64s simpler to load? Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

WATTS
February 14th, 2007, 13:29
Putting in extra functionality to load a disks directory and subsequently a program is superfluous from an emulator point of view. I find the sound issue much more critical.

While i agree the sound issue is a serious issue (as for my love of the SID chip) i also have to confess that a rock solid stable way of loading the games is also a must.
Not everyone that is into homebrew or is exposed to it can figure out some of the simpler stuff.
for example my 6 year old son would love to play Frodo DS but there is no way he can grasp the process involved of loading games if he has to start typing stuff in. Not forgetting kids attention spans nowadays is limited to about 30 secs then frustration sets in. (kinda like me with transformers on the C64! grrrr :)

I like chimpwithalimp only had the tape system and never tried out the disk drive back in the day.

However, if there was a decent, simple method to get the right trigger loading automation working then there would be less confused folks wondering if they were doing something wrong, or if the game rom was incompatible, or if their card supports FrodoDS at all.

Im with you on this one.

Im sure something could be slightly tweaked to get round this problem and have the games load up no problems when using left shoulder, click button then right shoulder.

All T64s are is the tape equivilent of the game.
Basically the data is pulled from the tape and saved in that format.

Im sure someone will add or correct to this if i am wrong.

WATTS
February 14th, 2007, 13:49
Hi all!

You might want to try some of the following just for fun:

10 FOR I=1 TO 255
20 POKE 53281,I
30 NEXT
40 GOTO 10
RUN

Im not sure if this is the code i had years and years ago but i did put some code into the c64 years ago that did a similar thing but the big bonus was when i used the code ran it in my bedroom and turned off the lights so it was dark and no joke it was like a stobe light disco effect!! :)
Obviously im not going to be able to get the same effect from the size of the DS screen but thanks for jogging my memory a little gho. ;)

GPF
February 14th, 2007, 16:15
What troy is doing is porting an emulator. We loaded our games on the C64 like I described above, so the way it is, is the "proper" way.

Yeah its kind of impossible to figure out which prg file is the proper file to load, only thing possible is to use a directory editor program and either move the file to the first location, or add some kind of menu to the d64 disk image as the first program. My recommendation would be install the pc version of the Frodo c64 emulator, and make snapshots of games after they have loaded. Then when I get snapshot implemented better, all you will have to do is select the snapshot image and it will load to the point you created it. Currently it only supports a snapshot called jjr.fss and is loaded with the X key. Also with the pc normal version(not frodopc or frodosc) you can verify whether you d64 image even work on this emulator.

I still have to figure out why T64 images don't work, but my biggest priority is the disk selection menu as it seems to be the cause of incompatibilities etc.

Sound is probably going to be the most difficult part as so far I haven't a clue why its sounds bad, now it does sound a lot better then my last official release the darn clicking is gone :) but I am having same issue with my SIDPlayer port(which uses frodo in its core) My tinysid port sounds great, but speed is on max or something lol.

Troy(GPF)

GPF
February 15th, 2007, 05:40
OK this is just a test build with sound disabled wanted to see how the menu systems works for some of those troublesome cards.

I tested this build on my m3sd with 81 D64 files, and for one of my test was with the game WorldGames and I was able to switch from disk1 to disk2 when it asked and they game worked :)

I commented out the audio code from launching, maybe its faster? maybe the menu works now?

Troy(GPF)

WATTS
February 15th, 2007, 08:50
Thanks for the help GPF, i tried the file but its not any better with loading but seems a little faster maybe?

What i need to do is like you say try the games i have on frodo for pc to eliminate the problem i could be havi ng with bad dumps / roms etc and i will report back here for your information if the games that i have are ok or not with frodo ds.

cheers. ;)

bytepete
February 15th, 2007, 12:06
Hi !! :)

I test the last build on my Movieplayer 2 .
I put 109 D64 Files on the CF-cart and I tried also
World Games and Summer Gammes 2 and Disk change works fine !

The emulator works very fast I think more than 100% :D

Please put back the sound or make it switchable to see how it works complete !

Thank you !! :thumbup:

CU:cool:

gho
February 15th, 2007, 14:16
Hi !! :)
The emulator works very fast I think more than 100% :D

Yes, I thought that too. I am using version 21107. 21107b did not work for me (SC lite). I could not type anything on the keyboard. The menu looks great thought. If I have the time,I will check out the new version.

And yes, the games are playable and fun. Uridium in the subway! Wheew!

Thanks again, troy. Where can I donate?

gho
February 15th, 2007, 17:36
Just tested the last build also(SC lite). The menue is fine, typing works, but Frodo is running a bit fast though.

Concerning the sound, I have no clue about coding, but could it have something to do with the sound buffer? I mean, it is playing stuff, and it is not too bad, but where does the corruption come from?

Kasimir2007
February 15th, 2007, 17:55
Bruce Lee Work Good with last test version :FrodoDS21407

Tantrum
February 15th, 2007, 22:44
Release 21407 on M3 DS Simply (slot-1, MicroSD).

Menu now works correctly (previously it corrupted after first d64 image loaded).

Emu speed very quick with sound disabled.

crookedmouth
February 16th, 2007, 01:18
OK this is just a test build with sound disabled wanted to see how the menu systems works for some of those troublesome cards.

I tested this build on my m3sd with 81 D64 files, and for one of my test was with the game WorldGames and I was able to switch from disk1 to disk2 when it asked and they game worked :)

I commented out the audio code from launching, maybe its faster? maybe the menu works now?

Troy(GPF)

Disk Change, This is incredible news! If the menu works, now it's just down to sound. :thumbup:

GPF
February 16th, 2007, 06:21
ok I think I've made some definite improvements to the sound code, to me its the best sounding yet.

I hope that reenabling sound doesn't break the menu or the emulator again lol, I've tested it on my ds-x and my m3sd and seems to work fine on the couple games I tried.

Well off to play some M.U.L.E.

Enjoy,
Troy(GPF)

Metaluna
February 16th, 2007, 08:58
Just realized I missed a couple of releases :)

I'm very impressed by all the options that have been added. Everything is working just fine on my M3 adapter SD.

In fact, it is working too well!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHBtqCr2w10 is so damn fast, I can't get through level one! :eek:

Great work and the sound is now almost crystal clear! :thumbup:

spinal_cord
February 16th, 2007, 10:05
Excellent work! The sound is better than ever!

It took a little work, but I got Creatures II working (sort of), using an action replay to save state in a different emulator, loading it (with the action replay) in frodo, the using frodo to save the state then loaded it in frodods. I have not yet got past level two to test if the loading works, I hope it does.

Some games seem a bit jumpy, I assume there is some frame skipping going on. I'm confident that some day soon, there will be a full speed full frame rate frodods to download :thumbup:

2jaxx
February 16th, 2007, 10:32
Great work! No crashes at all, great music emulation. The only issue is some inconsistency in speed. Keep it up!

Jaxx

gho
February 16th, 2007, 10:43
Uridium in the laundry yesterday...fun, fun, fun. The longer I play it, the more I appreciate the skill, simplicity and elegance, with which this game was composed literally. Fast paced and addictive action! With the DS's D-Pad it is even more playable than with a competition pro. Coders had to know what they were doing back then, when they had limited ressources.

Can't wait to test the new build!

Rockford
February 16th, 2007, 13:20
All i can say is WOW :thumbup: using FrodoDS21507

Like most people here i grew up owning a c64, great days, even better now we have an excellent portable c64 emulator.

Fantastic emulator, i have been following the progress of the beta versions on this thread and i am totally amazed how much progress has been made.
Just thought i'd register and say thank you for the great work you put in on this c64 emu.

i am currently using DS lite, Supercard Lite + Superkey

having no problems with it now, only except some device not found error when trying to load some games sometimes, i suspect that is down to messed up .d64 images, seeing as most i have work fine.

sound is awesome, been listening to my rob hubbard compilation disks, disc swapping is working very well.

Look foward to future versions too :)

nyuk1998
February 16th, 2007, 13:48
I'm damn impressed. Now if I can just get SAM and Montezuma's Revenge to work. Sound and speed working great on other games.

GPF
February 16th, 2007, 15:03
Here's a dumb question. Is there a way to convert .t64 or .prg to .d64?

Missed your question earlier, I've used Copy64 and Mole64 in the past. Here is a page of great utilities http://www.fairlight.to/tools/pc.html

I need to fix .T64 loading and .prg loading, they work in PC version.

Troy(GPF)

Also thanks to all those who have donated, I really appreciate it.

sorkan
February 16th, 2007, 15:17
I'm crying!!! WOW very impressive!!! I've tried and works fine!. Next step in the emulator: load format TAP and T64. Thank you very very ... much! All is perfect!

nyuk1998
February 16th, 2007, 15:28
Missed your question earlier, I've used Copy64 and Mole64 in the past. Here is a page of great utilities http://www.fairlight.to/tools/pc.html

I need to fix .T64 loading and .prg loading, they work in PC version.

Troy(GPF)

Also thanks to all those who have donated, I really appreciate it.

Thanx for the info. Next question. Does Gianna Sisters freeze for anyone else?

gho
February 16th, 2007, 15:50
Sound is working fine now! There are still some overall timing issues, but who cares. I would say 90%. Excellent!

GPF
February 16th, 2007, 16:02
Sound is working fine now! There are still some overall timing issues, but who cares. I would say 90%. Excellent!

Here are the hardcoded preference its using now.

ThePrefs.SkipFrames=5;
ThePrefs.SIDFilters=true;
ThePrefs.SIDType=SIDTYPE_DIGITAL;
ThePrefs.LimitSpeed=false;
ThePrefs.Emul1541Proc=false;
ThePrefs.FastReset=true;

eventually those will be configurable items, through some kind of menu system, or by using a preference file.

Just checked the code and for some reason I have commented out the preference file loading code lol, I'll see if I can reenable it and then it will load /rd/preference.fpr which I will try to provide or can be created with the pc version. It is an editable textfile, so untill I can created a way to edit the preferences they can at least be customized before starting the emulator.

Troy(GPF)

bytepete
February 16th, 2007, 16:35
Hi GPF :)

Thank you ! Now played Giana Sisters with sound and summer games 2 with change of disks ! Both will nearly full speed and good sound quality ! :D

Also I heard the music on Pharao DEMO .... Coooool !

CU:cool:

Kasimir2007
February 16th, 2007, 16:36
Ahhhh ! Excellent !!!!!

The sound is perfect ..... For me :) ;)

Bruce lee Work now ..... :o

this 1 little speed .... but this is very good.
Good Work GPF. :thumbup: . Thank You.

gho
February 16th, 2007, 17:23
Here are the hardcoded preference its using now.

ThePrefs.SkipFrames=5;
ThePrefs.SIDFilters=true;
ThePrefs.SIDType=SIDTYPE_DIGITAL;
ThePrefs.LimitSpeed=false;
ThePrefs.Emul1541Proc=false;
ThePrefs.FastReset=true;

I'll see if I can reenable it and then it will load /rd/preference.fpr which I will try to provide or can be created with the pc version.
Troy(GPF)

Yeah! That would be ultra cool, as cybertracker shows a mangled directory. This can probably be fixed with setting 1541 processor emulation to true.

Unfortunately certain unusual key combinations, like left_shift + crs_up, etc. don't work also.

However, cybertracker is only a very special case and most of the users out there should be 100% happy with your Frodo port as it is!

Sektor
February 16th, 2007, 17:35
Nice job on the sound. I tested Thing on a Spring (needed to push F7 to disable fast loader) and the music played as great as I remember.

Metaluna
February 16th, 2007, 18:19
Yes, it would definitively be great to have an option to remove (or adjust) frame skipping. :)

I'd like to know how games like Aztec Challenge and Jet Set Willy are running without frame skipping for instance.

Some others nice features suggestions :

- option to increase / decrease sound volume
- ZIP support
- graphic interface menu using stylus (the one in DSMasterPlus (http://www.portabledev.com/pages/ds/jeuxdev.-perso/dsmasterplus.php) is really amazing)
- wifi play (Spy vs Spy anyone?)... just kidding for this one! ;)
- save states

GPF
February 16th, 2007, 18:30
Yeah! That would be ultra cool, as cybertracker shows a mangled directory. This can probably be fixed with setting 1541 processor emulation to true.

Unfortunately certain unusual key combinations, like left_shift + crs_up, etc. don't work also.

However, cybertracker is only a very special case and most of the users out there should be 100% happy with your Frodo port as it is!

Yeah just tried it on the pc version and 1541 emulation is required, definetly will need the snapshot feature from the pc version unless you like waiting 5+ minutes waiting for something to load :) lol just like a real c64.

You mean leftshift + crs_up doesn't work for you? Should work fine , unless now I have to deal with touchscreen issues between different hardware configurations too ;(
Oh well, the keyboard code I'm using is from long ago, there have probably been great improvements to touchscreen usage in homebrew since then and I'll have to look into updating it.

Troy(GPF)

frykas
February 16th, 2007, 18:51
I am suprised that I'm the first person to post about this problem, but... I am getting TWO WHITE SCREENS on SuperCard Lite Rumble when I try to run unpatched file or when I try to patch it using DLDI patcher, SuperCard Magic Homebrew Patcher or SCR Patcher... I've tried all builds of FrodoDS available in this thread and all I get are two white screens showing up immediately after launching the emulator :/

The DLDI-enabled version from this link - http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=12146 - works fine (when patched correctly with DLDI), but it's outdated :)

Tantrum
February 16th, 2007, 19:49
FrodoDS 21507 on M3 DS Simply.

Menu = no corruption

Sound = good :)

/dance

GPF
February 16th, 2007, 20:49
I am suprised that I'm the first person to post about this problem, but... I am getting TWO WHITE SCREENS on SuperCard Lite Rumble when I try to run unpatched file or when I try to patch it using DLDI patcher, SuperCard Magic Homebrew Patcher or SCR Patcher... I've tried all builds of FrodoDS available in this thread and all I get are two white screens showing up immediately after launching the emulator :/

The DLDI-enabled version from this link - http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=12146 - works fine (when patched correctly with DLDI), but it's outdated :)

Biggest difference between that old build and new build is gba_nds_fat vs new libfat library support, not sure about the Rumble device though. Hopefully someone else has tried it and can recommend how they got it working or maybe some ideas on things I might be able to do in my code.

Troy(GPF)

Gunnex
February 16th, 2007, 22:19
Nice sound, tested with Treasure Island Dizzy

Mastastealth
February 17th, 2007, 03:22
Wow, this has sure improved! I can now run Ghosts n Goblins, and pretty much all my other games without issues! Very nice work! :D

A question though, how does the scaling work? Text in some games (e.g. Ghostbusters) looks a bit squished, is there anyway I can improve it?

chimpwithalimp
February 17th, 2007, 09:37
Just another quick post about game loading. I've actually gotten a bit used to typing the method we have to use now:

load"$",8
List
load"<gamename>",8
run

but still, its more complex than it really needs to be.

Seeing as Frodo has been ported to absolutely loads of different platforms, and has communities on each of them, I went looking for inspiration for how to get around the semi-awkward file loading system thats affecting us.

Basically, most every site and forum I've read* has had the same development issues that Troy has experienced, and that we experience as "testers" :)

Usually on Frodo, only 75% games work at all.
Fine, we can't do anything about this really.

Sound can be dodgy
SID emulation is just about perfect now for the DS version, thanks Troy for that.

People have trouble loading games if the PRG isn't the first on the list
Bingo.

What I did notice is that, each of the different platforms (xbox, GP32, even some mobile phones are running Frodo) seem to have gotten around this loading problem in their own way, after trial and error and multiple releases. The Xbox one for example, can load D64, T64 and PRGs directly, but it usen't to be able to.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I'm curious would there be any way to contact one or two of the developers who've already 'invented the wheel' so to speak and have gotten through the major hurdles. Perhaps their code, or at least their suggestions might be of some use to the development of the C64 on the DS.

Maybe some small touchscreen buttons above the keyboard to automate the tasks, like a 'list' button to show the inner files on a D64. It sounds lazy but it's only through trawling this and other forums that I learned the basic code to get the games running, and some others might never get to do that.

Just for reference, heres one google search that may lead to answers...

http://www.google.com/search?q=frodo+c64+loading+games

As always, these are just suggestion, and I love the way this emulator is going. I've played Blue Max, Jack the Nipper, Ghost and Goblins, and a few others with no problems, once I learned the secret :)

*And I read a few

crookedmouth
February 17th, 2007, 17:06
What I've read about Frodo is with "precise cycle" mode it is slower but 95% compatible. Usually it goes on to say that the standard version is slightly less compatible, which is all the DS can handle I guess.
While testing Frodo on the PC, to see what works and doesn't,what I noticed is that so far some of the games I thought wouldn't run under frodo did after enabling 1541 emulation. Yes you have to wait a long time for loading but Sid Miers Pirates! was one game that had an error in the beginning but then got through it with 1541 drive emulation. That game is awesome.

frykas
February 17th, 2007, 17:57
Biggest difference between that old build and new build is gba_nds_fat vs new libfat library support, not sure about the Rumble device though. Hopefully someone else has tried it and can recommend how they got it working or maybe some ideas on things I might be able to do in my code.

Troy(GPF)

I'm pretty sure that there are no differencies between SC and SCRumble other than the lack of GBA RAM (ROM?) support in Rumble. But it also refers to all SLOT-1 devices and I don't see people reporting about any problems with FrodoDS on their S-1 cards. I've never had any problems with homebrew stuff on SCLRumble, execpt the original LemmingsDS builds that store some data in GBA RAM area for some reason - same result: two white screens (but it's a known issue on all Slot-1 and Rumble devices).

So can someone confirm that FrodoDS works on his SC Rumble devices?

I've tested the latest build on my friends DS (w/M3) and it's kinda jawdropping - Great work, GPF! A long time ago I was using Frodo on my unexpanded Amiga 1200 and it was slow as hell, I had to use it in 1bit color mode and big frameskip to get about 50% speed of C64, without sound of course... ;)

gho
February 17th, 2007, 22:10
Just another quick post about game loading. I've actually gotten a bit used to typing the method we have to use now:

load"$",8
List
load"<gamename>",8
run

but still, its more complex than it really needs to be.

It can be even shorter if you know what you want to load. For e.g. Ghosts n goblins

LOAD"G*",8,1

could do the trick. It simply loads the first program with a G in the disk´s directory. Even shorter:

L<shift-O>"G*",8,1

The <shift-O> key combination produces a character similar to a rotated L.

GPF
February 17th, 2007, 22:23
It can be even shorter if you know what you want to load. For e.g. Ghosts n goblins

LOAD"G*",8,1

could do the trick. It simply loads the first program with a G in the disk´s directory. Even shorter:

L<shift-O>"G*",8,1

The <shift-O> key combination produces a character similar to a rotated L.

Another option if you put the KERNAL ROM in the /rd folder is press F7 to load"$",8 and F1 to LIST

F5 types LOAD"

F3 types RUN:

Also the KERNEL ROM defaults to drive 8 secondary 1, so you could do F5 G* <enter> F3
to be the same as LOAD"G*",8,1 and then RUN

Troy(GPF)

Lodovik
February 17th, 2007, 23:05
Great work, GPF!

I have an M3 Simply with a 1 GB MicroSD and I too had problems with loading games. Sometimes, removing some games from the RD directory helped. But now, since the last version, the bug is gone and the sound is dramatically better.

A quick suggestion: the Select button is now toggling between joystick ports A and B. Maybe it could cycle through a third option that would allow to move the cursor with the D-Pad by emulating keypresses on the keyboard. That would allow easier editing of on-screen filenames for loading programs. Also, the mode in which we are (Joy1, Joy2, Crsr) could be displayed on-screen (above the virtual keyboard, maybe?)

Keep up the good work!

GPF
February 18th, 2007, 06:58
Great work, GPF!

I have an M3 Simply with a 1 GB MicroSD and I too had problems with loading games. Sometimes, removing some games from the RD directory helped. But now, since the last version, the bug is gone and the sound is dramatically better.

A quick suggestion: the Select button is now toggling between joystick ports A and B. Maybe it could cycle through a third option that would allow to move the cursor with the D-Pad by emulating keypresses on the keyboard. That would allow easier editing of on-screen filenames for loading programs. Also, the mode in which we are (Joy1, Joy2, Crsr) could be displayed on-screen (above the virtual keyboard, maybe?)

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, great idea yeah have the d-pad act as cursor keys would be a great addition, I didn't do the keyboard code so I still have to learn how to draw on the keyboard screen so i can add stuff like that and figure out how to interact with it.

Troy(GPF)

xcom
February 18th, 2007, 08:55
Excellent, the speed and sound is nearly there. Maybe the CPU cycles are a little off? About 90%

Really notice the difference between this build and previous ones.

Getting some slowdown when lots is happening on the screen - Wizball, Armalyte.

Is there anything else you can do to tweak the speed Troy (apart from pouring Red Bull in the cartridge slot!)

Just to add to the tidal wave of requests...

It would be good to have a slider to adjust system speed above the keyboard (50%>120%) to compensate for CPU heavy games, along with some disk management icons to swap disks and maybe an activity monitor.

Really nice to play all those old games and see all those cheezy cracker intros with bouncing text!

Some of those cracker intros are still pretty good even by todays standards.

It must have taken those guys weeks to code them by hand, fortunately its' something i could whip up in Flash in a few minutes.

Very cool.

Keep up the great work.

Toby

crookedmouth
February 19th, 2007, 01:34
I finally got my DS today, and am having a blast!
I was wrong about Pirates! needing 1541 emulation,The file was set to read only. Works so far :)

nyuk1998
February 19th, 2007, 02:21
Another option if you put the KERNAL ROM in the /rd folder is press F7 to load"$",8 and F1 to LIST

F5 types LOAD"

F3 types RUN:

Also the KERNEL ROM defaults to drive 8 secondary 1, so you could do F5 G* <enter> F3
to be the same as LOAD"G*",8,1 and then RUN

Troy(GPF)

I tried all this and I still couldn't get Montezuma's Revenge to run. Maybe I have a bad file.

Maythius
February 19th, 2007, 05:51
To be quite honest, I've never experienced the joys of the c64 and I thought now this would be a great opportunity. I tried this latest version and yes I use a MMD with a 2gb toshiba cf. I patch successfully with the dldi, and when I load frodods I get the splash screen on top and a white screen on the bottom, I press A and everything else and nothing happens. Would someone be kind to assist me with this problem. I would greatly like to join the c64 club:thumbup: but if nothing can be done it is okay,and I appreciate the hard work coders but into such incredible apps such as this. Keep up the excellent work :D

crookedmouth
February 19th, 2007, 06:52
I use the MMD and it works. Is your rd folder on the root of the card? I was getting white screen like that when it was in a frodoDS folder. I seem to have to limit my amount of roms to 23.
Hope thats it.

wyzard
February 19th, 2007, 07:55
yo, great job!

SuperCard One + 1 gb UII microSD (SanDisk)

Following games work without any problems: BlueMax, 1942, Yie Ar Kung-Fu, Commando, Impossible Mission, Burningrubber

Problems with: Babarian2 (freeze after char selected), Fist 2 (just blue screen after loading), Krakout (can't start after main screen (with best music ever :) is loaded), Zak McKracken, Ormus Saga, Bruce Lee (freezed broken screen after game type selected and start)..

Again: Great Job! :)

scrawl78
February 19th, 2007, 10:48
Just wanted to say great work on the latest release of FrodoDS. Running nicely on an EZ-Flash V and EZ-Flash IV Deluxe.

The progress you have made over the past few months is incredible. I dread to think about the number of times you must have had to reset your DS during development.

As a token of my appreciation, here is a C64 icon you might wish to include in a future build.

http://home.aanet.com.au/scrawl/downloads/ds/icons/C64_icon.png

Djerique
February 19th, 2007, 14:25
Such icon would be really great to have in the DS menu. Maybe this one wil be a good option too:
http://www.tld-crew.de/gfx/c64.gif

What about DLDI support, doe FrodoDS supports DLDI?

GPF
February 19th, 2007, 14:47
Such icon would be really great to have in the DS menu. Maybe this one wil be a good option too:
http://www.tld-crew.de/gfx/c64.gif

What about DLDI support, doe FrodoDS supports DLDI?

Yeah I got scrawl78 icon from email he sent me, and it will be in the next version. :)

Yes it support DLDI patching.

Troy(GPF)

Maythius
February 19th, 2007, 14:54
I use the MMD and it works. Is your rd folder on the root of the card? I was getting white screen like that when it was in a frodoDS folder. I seem to have to limit my amount of roms to 23.
Hope thats it.

i do have my rd folder on the root directory. I leave the files that come with it, and i put the d64 files in there... S I don't know what im doing wrong.Can anyone give me a descriptive walk through on how to properly get frodos to work on the mmd? maybe I'll see wat i was missing...thank you for the help

Djerique
February 19th, 2007, 15:01
Yeah I got scrawl78 icon from email he sent me, and it will be in the next version. :)

Troy(GPF) WOW, DLDI support is great. Since when does FrodoDS supports DLDI? :thumbup:

I guess you worked hard on it :)

I wonder if yo get the load menu easier

nyuk1998
February 19th, 2007, 16:05
Giana Sisters freezes on startup. Anyone else with this problem?

Kasimir2007
February 19th, 2007, 18:22
Giana Sisters freezes on startup. Anyone else with this problem?

Re-Hello Nyuk ... But you are everywhere !!!!! on site Dspec .... ah yes for Dspec I don't know if this is better than Styx but CrocoDS is much better !!!! :thumbup:

No I joke, I don't test Dspec, this is just to tease Mr TheHive loool :p .....

Well ! ..... Great Giana Sister Work on my DS. I think that you has a bad dump. Sorry! .... The compatibility de Frodo is GOOD!

nyuk1998
February 19th, 2007, 19:13
Re-Hello Nyuk ... But you are everywhere !!!!! on site Dspec .... ah yes for Dspec I don't know if this is better than Styx but CrocoDS is much better !!!! :thumbup:

No I joke, I don't test Dspec, this is just to tease Mr TheHive loool :p .....

Well ! ..... Great Giana Sister Work on my DS. I think that you has a bad dump. Sorry! .... The compatibility de Frodo is GOOD!

I thought as much. Thanx for the info.

idibs65
February 19th, 2007, 20:25
Hi

I cant get frodoDS to work at all, It seems to freeze at the Loading screen saying SPring Coding. I tried DLDI patcher 0.32 with dldi for M3(cf) which passes the opening screen but I get a C64 screen which is corrupted and about 3 times to big for my ds screen

Any help appreciated:confused:

tempest6464
February 20th, 2007, 00:45

I can confirm this problem using the Supercard Rumble SD.

crookedmouth
February 20th, 2007, 01:19
i do have my rd folder on the root directory. I leave the files that come with it, and i put the d64 files in there... S I don't know what im doing wrong.Can anyone give me a descriptive walk through on how to properly get frodos to work on the mmd? maybe I'll see wat i was missing...thank you for the help

I'm new to this whole scene also but I'll tell what I did, I'm afraid it's nothing special. I opened my CF interface,formatted it to FAT, extracted the contents of FrodoDS directly from the zip file to the root of the card. Patched FrodoDS with gui patcher. Dropped 23 d64 files in rd and ran FrodoDS.

What speed is your CF card?

edit: this is probably nothing but I forgot to mention I downloaded newest startup files and bootme.nds and extracted that directly to root of card.
http://us.codejunkies.com/mpds/binaries/startup_122.zip

hope that helps
goodluck

Maythius
February 20th, 2007, 02:38
I'm new to this whole scene also but I'll tell what I did, I'm afraid it's nothing special. I opened my CF interface,formatted it to FAT, extracted the contents of FrodoDS directly from the zip file to the root of the card. Patched FrodoDS with gui patcher. Dropped 23 d64 files in rd and ran FrodoDS.

What speed is your CF card?

edit: this is probably nothing but I forgot to mention I downloaded newest startup files and bootme.nds and extracted that directly to root of card.
http://us.codejunkies.com/mpds/binaries/startup_122.zip

hope that helps
goodluck

The newest startup files was the solution! lol thanks sooo much for your help, time for me to get acquainted with this c64 :thumbup:

crookedmouth
February 20th, 2007, 04:00
Nice, I'm glad it was that easy! :)
Let the C64 love begin.

GPF
February 20th, 2007, 06:11
cool SAM works, just made the c64 do some nerdcore rap LOL

Troy(GPF)

Sektor
February 20th, 2007, 08:09
You should add the current version to the first post and update http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/Frodoc64.shtml. Some people are probably running the old version.

Goner
February 20th, 2007, 10:34
I'm using a DSLite with a M3 Simply/Kingston 1GB.

Got the latest version of FrodoDS (21507 ?), patched the .nds for DLDI, put the /rd folder in the root and also put there some .d64 files (BeachHead II and Galaxion).

It starts OK and lets me select a file from the /rd folder, I then press R to load it, the intro screen for Galaxions appears, but when I press any buttons I end up in Jumpman ?!

What am I doing wrong ?

WATTS
February 20th, 2007, 12:49

Troy(GPF)

If you need any help with icons i would love to help out Troy. ;)

gho
February 20th, 2007, 14:47
What am I doing wrong ?

Hi Goner,

Button X is actually a feature, that loads a previous memory dump. Some games don't work, this is normal, sometimes switching joystick ports with the select key helps.

Good luck.

nyuk1998
February 20th, 2007, 15:31

Troy(GPF)

DAMN! I tried a couple versions of SAM and they don't work. I get to the screen where you select high or low memory and it resets the C64. What's your secret? However - I finally got Giana Sisters to work. (Then somebody ported the game anyways.)

gho
February 20th, 2007, 16:33

Troy(GPF)

Cool, load it up!

Kasimir2007
February 20th, 2007, 16:55
nyuk Great Giana Sister for frodo here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqDRyk8up44

GPF
February 20th, 2007, 17:08
DAMN! I tried a couple versions of SAM and they don't work. I get to the screen where you select high or low memory and it resets the C64. What's your secret? However - I finally got Giana Sisters to work. (Then somebody ported the game anyways.)

http://members.tripod.com/the-cbm-files/speak/

How does Giana Sisters under frodo compare to the standalone port? wish his was opensource probably could help in my frodo port :)

Troy(GPF)

nyuk1998
February 20th, 2007, 19:03

How does Giana Sisters under frodo compare to the standalone port? wish his was opensource probably could help in my frodo port :)

Troy(GPF)

The only thing I liked better about the port, is you can use the "a" button to jump. Other than that, the same.

http://galway.c64.org/gianads/gianads.zip

I finall figured out SAM. (Have to do it the long way.) DUH!

gho
February 20th, 2007, 22:45
I just had a look at the keyboard code and as it seems, it does not distinguish between the left and right shift keys, which is necessary for some programs (cybertracker :) ).

There seem to be some more bugs. Pressing HOM should move the curser to the upper left corner.

If the hex values are PETSCII, replacing 0x147 with 0x13 in keyboard.hit.c should fix it.

#define CLR 0x13 //this is HOM actually

Shift - Home (CLR) is 0x93,
DEL is 0x14,
Shift - DEL (INST) is 0x94.

RESTORE, CONTROL and CBM keys also do not behave correctly. Shift-CBM e.g. should switch to shifted mode (lower case letters).

gho
February 20th, 2007, 23:13

Troy(GPF)

Sam, how cool. "Sam is here to stay..." Works great! As for Giana Sisters. It crashes.

What's a bit strange is the fact, that most programmers are doing their jobs alone in the homebrew scene. But teamwork would probably be more efficient.

gho
February 21st, 2007, 10:05
As for Giana Sisters. It crashes.

I meant the standalone port.

vitellus
February 21st, 2007, 11:00
GPF, thank you very much. Having a handheld c64 is really a plus - the underground or the bus are wonderful places to play fast retro-games. I did not use a 64 emulator in years, since I preferred to play other games when at home... but now, on the road, I cant' help falling in love with Frodo (don't get me wrong... ). Yesterday I completed Pitfall II for the first time in, say, ten years, and it was moving. Not only because I was on a moving bus. It was emotionally moving, that is.
Thanks again.

V.

Kasimir2007
February 21st, 2007, 21:25
I try Ultimate wizard ....... Great game.

robman84
February 21st, 2007, 21:37
Hi

I've patched the latest version with the DLDI for the M3 SD but I just get the coding compo top screen and a white bottom screen. Anyone managed to get it working on an M3 SD? If so, any help much appreciated!

Great work, BTW. A pocket C64 goes ncely with a pocket Speccy!

Sektor
February 22nd, 2007, 03:35
You could try launching it with the Start button on M3SD (instead of A). I didn't have to do that with M3CF though. At the time this was posted, the most recent version is on this page 13 (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30311&page=13).

GPF
February 22nd, 2007, 04:04
Hi

I've patched the latest version with the DLDI for the M3 SD but I just get the coding compo top screen and a white bottom screen. Anyone managed to get it working on an M3 SD? If so, any help much appreciated!

Great work, BTW. A pocket C64 goes ncely with a pocket Speccy!

Yeah works great on my M3SD thats what I use to develop FrodoDS with. So not sure why its not working for you unless you have a bad SD card? maybe scandisk it or reformat it ?

Troy(GPF)

robman84
February 22nd, 2007, 20:06
Thanks for the speedy replies.

Just tried another SD card but the same problem, whether I start with "A" button or "Start" button. Hmm.

Do I need to patch it with the DLDI for the M3 SD (which I am doing) or should I just try it "out of the box"?

Secondly, (sorry for the newbie post) how do I append a loader?

Thanks

sice dice
February 22nd, 2007, 21:22
ok I think I've made some definite improvements to the sound code, to me its the best sounding yet.

I hope that reenabling sound doesn't break the menu or the emulator again lol, I've tested it on my ds-x and my m3sd and seems to work fine on the couple games I tried.

Well off to play some M.U.L.E.

Enjoy,
Troy(GPF)

as i've said before , great work , but i can't get a working copy of frodods even patched for sc sdmicro slot1 card , well that can load up games , i get the mount screen then the blue one but when i try to load it won't go , just says file not found ,also is there an upto date version i can download that isn't currupt , the download on page 13 is empty or currupted in some way that winzip or rar zip can't get into it with out saying it's invalid or currupt . can you give us a new link to it , cheers mate . dying to actually play paradroid , bionic commando , monty mole and some more from my c64 years .

*edit*

the download on page 12 is currupt to , also i have tried reformating my microsd 1gig .
my hardware is:
nds lite
super card slot1
1gig micro sd

frodods21107b is the version i'm trying to use , and the other downloads are currupt or no file format ? as a zip .
it is patched and then when i start it , it shows the compo' screen goes to the mount selection screen , i choose paradroid(as this is the one i've seen running in some vids on youtube) and it goes to the blue screen , i pres the right shoulder pad and get this with a strange noise :

load"*",8,1
searching for *
?device not present error
ready.
run

ready.

i have tried the other ways described here to get the directory up to choose from and the left shoulder pad button when pressed makes that funny deep sound and crashes by freezing up , i only have 4 games in the \rd folder . pleeeaassseee help . i hope you might know what is wrong with this . and if it could be the dldi patch <scds.dldi> currupting the file , any way hope this information might help . i am dying to get this running to bring back some childhood days of paradroid and monty on the run .

gho
February 23rd, 2007, 12:33
Hi there!

For those interested in composing SID tunes, have a look here

http://covertbitops.c64.org/

In the tools section are two quite interesting trackers, Sado Tracker and NinjaTracker for doing your compositions on the road.

They work quite well in frodo ds, but one major issue is, that it's not possible to save.

So here is my wishlist:
- Hot switchable 1541 emulation, so that saves are possible. (Load fast, save slow).

- Correct assignation of CLR/HOM and INST/DEL and their shifted counterparts to provide the possibility of inserting and deleting lines in the trackers. Left shift detection, needed for cybertracker, is a bit difficult I guess.

- Moving the cursor with D-Pad (switchable) would faciliate editing greatly!

- There are some timing (a tad too fast) and syncing (sound - gfx) issues.

However, as it is FrodoDS is already more that one could ask for, but some polishing would not hurt either.

Listened to sid tunes all night yesterday, am thinking about getting a used C64.

GPF
February 23rd, 2007, 14:50
Thanks for the speedy replies.

Just tried another SD card but the same problem, whether I start with "A" button or "Start" button. Hmm.

Do I need to patch it with the DLDI for the M3 SD (which I am doing) or should I just try it "out of the box"?

Secondly, (sorry for the newbie post) how do I append a loader?

Thanks

you might try it "out of the box" as if I remember right its probably patched for m3sd already as thats what I patch it for so I can run it.

also Sice Dice I have sent you a PM on the forums here with a directly link to release from page 13. Let me know if it downloads correctly.

Troy(GPF)

GPF
February 23rd, 2007, 14:53
Hi there!

For those interested in composing SID tunes, have a look here

http://covertbitops.c64.org/

In the tools section are two quite interesting trackers, Sado Tracker and NinjaTracker for doing your compositions on the road.

They work quite well in frodo ds, but one major issue is, that it's not possible to save.

So here is my wishlist:
- Hot switchable 1541 emulation, so that saves are possible. (Load fast, save slow).

- Correct assignation of CLR/HOM and INST/DEL and their shifted counterparts to provide the possibility of inserting and deleting lines in the trackers. Left shift detection, needed for cybertracker, is a bit difficult I guess.

- Moving the cursor with D-Pad (switchable) would faciliate editing greatly!

- There are some timing (a tad too fast) and syncing (sound - gfx) issues.

However, as it is FrodoDS is already more that one could ask for, but some polishing would not hurt either.

Listened to sid tunes all night yesterday, am thinking about getting a used C64.

cool, yeah I need to work on a preference setting screen, probably will be text for now as thats easiest for me to code.

I would like to have a way to assign any key to different buttons also eventually.

I need to get the rest of the keyboard button working correctly and add cursor key controls to the dpad as a third option for the select key.

Troy(GPF)

gho
February 24th, 2007, 12:22
Ahh, I got a real c64 from e-bay for Euro 5,51 including a disk drive and documentation! The owner thought it was broken, but some patting did the trick. It has a 8580R5 SID chip, so it's voice is a bit harsh. But at least it gets me going for now. What I need next is a way to hook up the 1541 to a pc. Have got to get out the soldering iron.

On one of the disks was an interesting program I remebered from the past. Hypra Load. It speeds up the loading of programs considrably. Maybe I will find an assembler too, but I think assembler coding is a number too large for me.

Some SID fun from the manual:
10 SI=54272
20 POKE SI+24,15: POKE SI+7,207: POKE SI+8,34:POKE SI+13,240
30 POKE SI+11,17

I think the DS has a Programmable Sound Unit also, I am wondering, if it is possible to get out some sounds out of it in a similar way, by just writing some stuff into some registers. Unfortunately I have not found a full documentation yet. What about filters, waveforms, LFO...questions about questions...uhh, I think I went a bit off topic...cheers

GPF
February 24th, 2007, 20:46
Ahh, I got a real c64 from e-bay for Euro 5,51 including a disk drive and documentation! The owner thought it was broken, but some patting did the trick. It has a 8580R5 SID chip, so it's voice is a bit harsh. But at least it gets me going for now. What I need next is a way to hook up the 1541 to a pc. Have got to get out the soldering iron.

On one of the disks was an interesting program I remebered from the past. Hypra Load. It speeds up the loading of programs considrably. Maybe I will find an assembler too, but I think assembler coding is a number too large for me.

Some SID fun from the manual:
10 SI=54272
20 POKE SI+24,15: POKE SI+7,207: POKE SI+8,34:POKE SI+13,240
30 POKE SI+11,17

I think the DS has a Programmable Sound Unit also, I am wondering, if it is possible to get out some sounds out of it in a similar way, by just writing some stuff into some registers. Unfortunately I have not found a full documentation yet. What about filters, waveforms, LFO...questions about questions...uhh, I think I went a bit off topic...cheers

cool, that basic code makes a pleasent tone sound on FrodoDS :)

Troy(GPF)

bytepete
February 26th, 2007, 11:12
Hi there ! :)

I just checked the GPF version of SAM reciter but the sound is bad for me only in the begining I can understand something like Hello . :rolleyes:

I have Movieplayer 2 card anyone else got SAM working on the last build ? :confused:

GPF Do you want to enter the NEO spring coding contest 2007 ?

CU! :cool:

nyuk1998
February 26th, 2007, 18:53
Hi there ! :)

I just checked the GPF version of SAM reciter but the sound is bad for me only in the begining I can understand something like Hello . :rolleyes:

I have Movieplayer 2 card anyone else got SAM working on the last build ? :confused:

GPF Do you want to enter the NEO spring coding contest 2007 ?

CU! :cool:

If that sound came after you chose between high or low memory, then it was SAM saying "Put in tape. Hit F7 (LOAD"$",8), then F1 (LIST). Then screen should look like this:

0" " 80 2A
69 "SAM/RECITER" PRG
27 "SAM'S DEMO" PRG
7 "SAY IT" PRG

Hit F5 (LOAD") then type in the name of one of the three programs you want, then close the quotes.

ex. LOAD"SAY IT",8

Hit F3 for RUN. It will ask you to choose SAM or RECITER. But you can figure all that from there. (Took me a while.)

bytepete
February 26th, 2007, 21:17
Hi nyuk1998 !
Cool !! Thank you this works !!

nyuk1998
February 26th, 2007, 21:31
Hi nyuk1998 !
Cool !! Thank you this works !!

De nada. Glad I could help.

Metaluna
February 28th, 2007, 07:28
Troy, I know there are a lot of things you want to add to FrodoDS, but before that could you just make a quick release with just the frameskip setting? I really can't wait to play
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHBtqCr2w10. Right now it's going way too fast making it impossible to past the first level. ;)

Kasimir2007
February 28th, 2007, 12:07
For me, I would like that Barbarian 2 work in the next version of FrodoDS. :)

:rolleyes:

gho
February 28th, 2007, 22:50
I have soldered an XM1541 cable to connect the commodore's disk drive to a pc's paralell port and guess what, transferring d64 images to and fro workes fine with opencmb! So I have been enjoying cybertracker, NinjaTracker and Sadotracker on the real thing! I find cybertracker is the easiest to use, Ninja and Sado are a bit mysterious to me.

One thing concerning the left shift key in cybertracker, implementing correct shift-lock detection in Frodo DS should suffice to make graphical waveform and envelope editing in cybertracker possible.

Unfortunately the C64s HF modulator seems to be somewhat damaged, the picture I get when connecting it to my pc's tv card is a bit shakey, but anyhow, SID is doing well. It's quite interesting to compare an emulator to the real thing side by side.

GPF
March 1st, 2007, 08:19
Troy, I know there are a lot of things you want to add to FrodoDS, but before that could you just make a quick release with just the frameskip setting? I really can't wait to play Aztec Challenge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHBtqCr2w10). Right now it's going way too fast making it impossible to past the first level. ;)

I'll try, but its not really an issue of frameskip its more an issue of emulating the exact speed of a c64 right now its on as fast as it can go mode, I'll need to add code to add a delay/pause so that it goes the correct speed, which is alot more coding lol

Troy(GPF)

ostimu
March 1st, 2007, 22:54
You guys are killing me with your tales of success! I've been trying to get the latest build (21507) to work on an M3-DS Simply, and I've had no luck. I copied the Frodo app to the root level of my SD card, copied the "rd" folder to the root level -- with its complete contents (1541 ROM, Kernal ROM, etc) as well as two test .d64 files -- started the emulator, and all I get, every time, is a distorted view of the upper right corner of the C64 screen on the top, and a white screen on the bottom. The "Start" button resets the emulator, and the cursor keys seem to work fine. (I get the same weird characters that one used to get on a real Commodore when moving the joystick in BASIC.) If I press the "R" button, I get a "?DEVICE NOT PRESENT ERROR" message.

All I can figure is that the app isn't finding my "rd" folder, and that I need to apply the DLDI patch I keep reading about on here. Can somebody post a copy of Frodo already patched for the M3 Simply? I'm using a Mac, and patching ROMs in Terminal is a pain, and I can't get it to work. (I found a patch, but I don't know if it's the right patch, and I can't seem to apply it anyway.)

I'm using the latest version of the M3 Simply software -- version 1.02 -- and a 1GB Kingston microSD card. The card works just fine on everything else.

Please help! I've wanted to run this emulator for ages, and seeing that people are successfully running it on the M3 Simply -- when I can't make it work -- is driving me crazy! A patched emulator would sure be appreciated!

crookedmouth
March 2nd, 2007, 00:20
heres a FrodoDS.nds already patched for M3 Simply/R4

http://rapidshare.com/files/18945842/FrodoDSM3simply.zip.html

hope it works :)
no one should be denied C64 love.

Try this in future
DLDI patcher for Mac OS X untested by me of course
just drag-and-drop your .nds file onto the app and it will prompt you to select what device you want to patch for
http://www.blogadresse.de/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/dldi_drop_1_0_3dmg.zip

rom trimmer for Mac, no clue if it works
http://www.blogadresse.de/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/ds_trimdrop_1-0.zip

Metaluna
March 2nd, 2007, 17:02
I'll try, but its not really an issue of frameskip its more an issue of emulating the exact speed of a c64 right now its on as fast as it can go mode, I'll need to add code to add a delay/pause so that it goes the correct speed, which is alot more coding lol

Troy(GPF)

Thanks for your answer! :)

as I know zero about coding I didn't realize it meant more in depth programming. I though it was just a number to change in a config file or something like that. :o

GPF
March 2nd, 2007, 21:45
Thanks for your answer! :)

as I know zero about coding I didn't realize it meant more in depth programming. I though it was just a number to change in a config file or something like that. :o

LOL, i looked at the code today and discovered I implemented that a long time ago, but for some reason had commented out the code :)

I still need to test on hardware and see if it works but hopefully I'll have some time this weekend.

Troy

ostimu
March 2nd, 2007, 21:50
heres a FrodoDS.nds already patched for M3 Simply/R4

http://rapidshare.com/files/18945842/FrodoDSM3simply.zip.html

hope it works :)
no one should be denied C64 love.

Wow -- thank you SO much! It totally works. (And what a great emulator!) I truly appreciate your help, Crookedmouth!

Has anybody noticed that you can't get shot in Jumpman and Jumpman Junior? You can still die by falling off of stuff, but the bullets pass right through you. I wonder -- are there sprite detection issues, or is this an isolated Jumpman issue? (Sorry; I've only played Jumpman so far. Totally my favorite Commodore game. Now I need to try Summer Games II. Oh, the Epyx fun!)

ostimu
March 2nd, 2007, 23:14
Has anybody noticed that you can't get shot in Jumpman and Jumpman Junior? You can still die by falling off of stuff, but the bullets pass right through you.

Scratch that. Works fine. :thumbup:

crookedmouth
March 3rd, 2007, 01:22
Glad I could help ostimu , the c64 for me is my greatest gaming memories. My first true love in respect to games and programming. I still have one and find it funny that the beige beast can get me misty eyed, lol. I'm getting soft in my old age.

Sektor
March 3rd, 2007, 06:50
Has anybody noticed that you can't get shot in Jumpman and Jumpman Junior? You can still die by falling off of stuff, but the bullets pass right through you. I wonder -- are there sprite detection issues, or is this an isolated Jumpman issue?

Frodo does have some minor collision detection issues with Jumpman and some other games. I noticed the same problem on the PSP version of Frodo. VICE doesn't have that problem but it would probably be too slow on DS.

crookedmouth
March 3rd, 2007, 15:56
There doesn't seem to be any problems with the single/perfect cycle version of Frodo and Jumpman,I'm surprised that Frodo for the PSP(with it's higher power
) didn't use one of these versions for better compatibility.

GPF
March 5th, 2007, 08:12
ok new version posted :)

This version loads the preference file /rd/Frodo.fpr which can be created with the pc version or use the enclosed version.

LimitSpeed = FALSE

Emul1541Proc = TRUE

SkipFrames = 2

are the only options i played with, and only really tested the 1541 Emulation worked.

I have also included some snapshots I created with the pc version, rename the one you want to load to jjr.fss and load by pressing the X key, most probably require that you have already mounted the correct D64 file the next time they go to load :)

I have tested Maniac Mansion and it is working, now I used a snapshot because I was impatient to wait for it to load but with 1541 Emulation on it seems to work fine :) (jjr.fss in zip file is Maniac Mansion, i think you need disk 2 mounted)

This version doesn't include an icon, for some reason the icon seemed to crash my m3sd for some reason.

Enjoy and give me feedback please.
Troy(GPF)
Another old timer who loves his c64 :)

spinal_cord
March 5th, 2007, 10:33
Didn't get that scalling idea to work then? oh well. Thanks for the update.:D

gho
March 5th, 2007, 11:02
Hi

I just tested the new release. The loadable config file is fine, but I guess some people will get confused because of a "device not found error", if they select a disk from the startup screen. The reason is in the config file, btw.

Setting

DrivePath8 =

, or selectig an image with the left shoulder button should do the trick.

1541 emulation switched on slows Frodo down considerably. Even when switched to false, it runs faster, but still a bit slow. I am not sure, if a simple hard coded delay is the optimal way to adjust running speed...

However one of the more important uses of the 1541 emulation (besides Cybertracker ;) ) is the possibility of saving to disk images (Songs, Programs, Data, etc.). That does not work right now, but it is now possible to load songs in Cybertracker!

It would be most reasonable, to make the 1541 option "hot swichable".

After all, it is good, to have the config file to play with and the loading of machine states is great!

Oh, I forgot, in the Uridium reaction time part, sound and graphics are in sync now.

O-bake
March 5th, 2007, 12:45
Sorry to ask, but how can i get this working with my G6Lite card?
It has a GBA and NDS folder by default. By putting the .nds file in the /NDS folder, i can see it in the loader menu but it starts and ends with a white screen. No change if i put the /rd folder in /NDS or the root.

Lennox2008
March 5th, 2007, 14:34
http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/

http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downloads/dlditool-win32.zip

O-bake
March 5th, 2007, 15:04
Thanks, i'll try this patcher as soon as i have access to windows.
(i suppose i need the .dldi file to patch the .nds file with the patcher, right?).
And where di i have to put the .nds file and the /rd folder? Is, for the G6Lite series, the /NDS folder my root?

GPF
March 5th, 2007, 16:02
Thanks, i'll try this patcher as soon as i have access to windows.
(i suppose i need the .dldi file to patch the .nds file with the patcher, right?).
And where di i have to put the .nds file and the /rd folder? Is, for the G6Lite series, the /NDS folder my root?

here is a thread that might help on dldi patching
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54281

yes you need the .dldi file for your card, and you either run a gui tool, or commandline to patch the nds before copying to your card.

The code looks for files in /rd, so probably has to be in the root and not under the /NDS folder, thats what I have to do for my DS-X card, /rd goes in root , .nds file goes in Apps folder.

Troy(GPF)

Lennox2008
March 5th, 2007, 16:43
how can i play maniac manson or zack mc kracken...
there are my favorite games...

when i start maniac manson its working but then i press space and the screen is black...

it doesnt work with frodo?

GPF
March 5th, 2007, 17:42
Hi

I just tested the new release. The loadable config file is fine, but I guess some people will get confused because of a "device not found error", if they select a disk from the startup screen. The reason is in the config file, btw.

Setting

DrivePath8 =

, or selectig an image with the left shoulder button should do the trick.

could you explain more what you mean? not quite sure what the problem is.

1541 emulation switched on slows Frodo down considerably. Even when switched to false, it runs faster, but still a bit slow. I am not sure, if a simple hard coded delay is the optimal way to adjust running speed...

However one of the more important uses of the 1541 emulation (besides Cybertracker ;) ) is the possibility of saving to disk images (Songs, Programs, Data, etc.). That does not work right now, but it is now possible to load songs in Cybertracker!

It would be most reasonable, to make the 1541 option "hot swichable".

After all, it is good, to have the config file to play with and the loading of machine states is great!

Oh, I forgot, in the Uridium reaction time part, sound and graphics are in sync now.

1541 Emulation is slow slow slow, like I said best thing to do is use snapshots to minimize at least the startup time.

Eventually I will have a preference menu where all those settings can be set.

I haven't looked into saving code yet, this last build I did try to get T64 loading working, but other then it getting rid of the error messages its just loading nothing lol. Eventually I will have it so that other then the initial startup, if you select a .prg or snapshot file, it will autostart it.

When 1541 emulation is FALSE and Limitspeed is FALSE there should be no difference in emulation speed, other then my default setting for SkipFrames = 3, and in the Frodo.fpr file I provided its set to 2 . So that could be the speed difference you are seeing.

Didn't get that scalling idea to work then? oh well. Thanks for the update.:D

Just haven't had time to research it yet, right now the way scaling is done is by the scaling hardware.
Frodo has a screensize of 384X272 which includes borders of on left and right side of 32-37 pixels and top and bottom of 51-55 pixels. I use a 512X512 exrot background which hardware scaled to the 256X192 DS screen size. I do hack the borders off on the display so that more of the screen is visable since most things don't use the border for much.

//DISPLAY_X=384;
BG3_CR = BG_BMP8_512x512;
BG3_XDX = DISPLAY_X-54;
BG3_XDY = 0;
BG3_YDX = 0;
BG3_YDY = DISPLAY_X-108;
BG3_CX = 28<<8;
BG3_CY = 32<<8;

I not really that familiar with the above settings it was all done by plugging in numbers till I got what we have now lol. I know I need to every frame shift it up and left or down and right a couple pixels and reset next frame, but not sure which of the above parameters are the ones I need to change yet.

Troy(GPF)

robman84
March 5th, 2007, 17:48
Still having no luck with this, even the latest version. Tried DLDI patching for M3SD and running it with no patching. Tried 3 different SD cards. Tried running it with "A" button and tried running it with START button. Every time I just get the same results - the Spring coding 2006 competition screen on top and white screen on the bottom.

Has anyone else (a) had this same problem and (b) managed to solve it?

I know it works for lots of people, and Troy even uses an M3SD, but there's no C64 love for me yet :-(

Rob

Kasimir2007
March 5th, 2007, 18:06
Thanks for your new release GPF :)

SkipFrames = 3.5 is the good speed of emulation for me. I tested Bounty Bob, Bruce lee are good Speed.

Giana Sister is a bit low with 3.5 .... :rolleyes:

for Metaluna :
Aztec Challenge is very easy now with SkipFrames = 1 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:o

robman84
March 5th, 2007, 19:00
Update: I tried patching it with the M3SD "ALT" DLDI. I now get the "magnified" c64 screen and can use some of the buttons, such as start to restart the emulator. So that's progress anyway!

If anyone could post a successfully working, M3SD DLDI patched binary for me to try that would be much appreciated!

nyuk1998
March 5th, 2007, 19:18
Did anyone get Montezuma's Revenge to work yet?

GPF
March 5th, 2007, 19:34
Update: I tried patching it with the M3SD "ALT" DLDI. I now get the "magnified" c64 screen and can use some of the buttons, such as start to restart the emulator. So that's progress anyway!

If anyone could post a successfully working, M3SD DLDI patched binary for me to try that would be much appreciated!

The binary is already prepatched for the M3SD as its the binary I test with before I post it, not sure about the M3SD ALT dldi driver haven't tried it before.

Troy(GPF)

gho
March 5th, 2007, 21:04
could you explain more what you mean? not quite sure what the problem is.

No problem :) .

[...]

When 1541 emulation is FALSE and Limitspeed is FALSE there should be no difference in emulation speed, other then my default setting for SkipFrames = 3, and in the Frodo.fpr file I provided its set to 2 . So that could be the speed difference you are seeing.

Right, didn't try playing with that parameter yet.

turtleshead
March 9th, 2007, 19:08
instead of patching m3 cards with m3sd.dldi patch it with r4tf.dldi worked for me screen looks fine now.

but still get file not found error plz help me before i go mad i select the roms but it just won't find them.

what do i need to change in the config for it to get the roms to load.

bytepete
March 9th, 2007, 19:13
Hi !:)

Thanks GPF ! Good work !

The idea of snashop is very good , it saves time loading !

CU !:cool:

crookedmouth
March 10th, 2007, 08:07
instead of patching m3 cards with m3sd.dldi patch it with r4tf.dldi worked for me screen looks fine now.

but still get file not found error plz help me before i go mad i select the roms but it just won't find them.

Download the PC version of Frodo and test your roms. If they work there they will work in frodoDS as long as you are running the standard version of Frodo, not Frodopc or Frodosc.
A lot of times Load"*",8,1 won't do the trick so you need to load the directory, Load"$",8 then type LIST( or press F7 then F1).
Logically look for the file you think would be the loader, a small file or a file that is the name of your game. For some reason the first file is somtimes a dummy file especially the compilations like Blast or Auto.
Either way using any emulator(Vice) will help familiarize yourself with the C64.

spinal_cord
March 10th, 2007, 12:26

You dont need to change anything in the config. This bug has just appeared in this version(I think). All you need to do, is re-select the .d64 file AFTER the emu has loaded (as if you were changing the disk).

Lennox2008
March 10th, 2007, 13:18
how can i play maniac manson on my ds?

turtleshead
March 10th, 2007, 13:37
crookedmouth and spinal cord thanks for the help
f7 and f1 followed by a load"*",8 worked a treat.
hey this emu really awsome:D but can u higher the volume:confused:

crookedmouth
March 10th, 2007, 16:02
how can i play maniac manson on my ds?

I didn't play the whole game but It loads up with 1541 drive emulation enabled and I was able to move the kids around.
With the drive enabled it runs just as slow as the old girl herself so you may want to download Frodo for the pc and make a snapshot after the program loads up or maybe even when you switch to SideB. You'll have to experiment, but it looks playable to me,now if only you could save. :)

To enable 1541 drive emulation on the DS, edit the file named Frodo.fpr, it is in the rd folder.Open it with a text editor and find the following
Emul1541Proc = FALSE
make it
Emul1541Proc = TRUE

Lennox2008
March 10th, 2007, 17:43
it doesnt work :(

GPF
March 10th, 2007, 18:56
I didn't play the whole game but It loads up with 1541 drive emulation enabled and I was able to move the kids around.
With the drive enabled it runs just as slow as the old girl herself so you may want to download Frodo for the pc and make a snapshot after the program loads up or maybe even when you switch to SideB. You'll have to experiment, but it looks playable to me,now if only you could save. :)

To enable 1541 drive emulation on the DS, edit the file named Frodo.fpr, it is in the rd folder.Open it with a text editor and find the following
Emul1541Proc = FALSE
make it
Emul1541Proc = TRUE

yeah, if you use the included jjr.fss snapshot that i included in zip, mount disk 2 of Maniac Mansion(mount it twice seems like there is some kind of bug) then press X to load the snapshot of Maniac Mansion. Choose your kids etc, I only played up to walking one of the kids into the house.

Yeah hopefully sometimes this week I'll be able to look into the saving code, kind of hard as most of my dev is done with no$gba emulator with an attached FCSR image which unfortunetly is read only. If I can get desmume working I might be able to get something done with its gbamp FAT emulation support - will see :)

Troy(GPF)

Bruno124
March 10th, 2007, 19:51
Wow!!!! Thanks for your FrodoDS!

Earlier Post: White Screen/false Resolution with M3 DS Simply:
Solution: You need the "R4(DS) - Revolution for DS / M3 Simply compatible"-Patch (http://chishm.drunkencoders.com/DLDI/downloads/r4tf.dldi)

+ a Question: Where can I find all Documentation avaiable? (Especially I would like to set Zoom to 0 - makes nothing if some pixels are outside)

... or how to load/save MemoryDumps? (Snapshots)

Greetings, Bruno

crookedmouth
March 11th, 2007, 00:15
yeah, if you use the included jjr.fss snapshot that i included in zip, mount disk 2 of Maniac Mansion(mount it twice seems like there is some kind of bug) then press X to load the snapshot of Maniac Mansion. Choose your kids etc, I only played up to walking one of the kids into the house.

Yeah hopefully sometimes this week I'll be able to look into the saving code, kind of hard as most of my dev is done with no$gba emulator with an attached FCSR image which unfortunetly is read only. If I can get desmume working I might be able to get something done with its gbamp FAT emulation support - will see :)

Troy(GPF)

I forgot that was maniac mansion that you included in this newest release. :o
I can't say thanks enough for your hard work.

Bruno124
March 11th, 2007, 11:28
Hi Troy

Thanks again for your great work! And everyone else for your helps!

I spent 3 hours in reading these 24 pages of the thread an testing, testing, ... testing...

It works fine, but I still have 2 questions:
-Is there a bug supporting t64s? If I mount a t64 and type "LOAD",8 -> LIST always the same Directory with a 65 "FILE" appears. E.g. with "Stellar 7" on the Frodo for PC a 157 "File" on "DEMO TAPE" appears and can be loaded...
-Is there really no documentation about Frodo NDS except this thread?
(as I read t64s in Frodo are treatened as disks, which works on PC, but not on the NDS...)

(Frodo(PC)-Documentation is included in the Download from ftp://ftp.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/crossplatform/emulators/Frodo/frodo4_1.win32.zip, Direct Link in http://frodo.cebix.net/ was brocken.)

But anyway: THANKS!

Bruno

Kasimir2007
March 14th, 2007, 19:49
news for FrodoDS ?

in the next version, I hope to see Icons Options in the bottom screen ...... ?

crookedmouth
March 15th, 2007, 01:24
If I load FrodoDS onto my card then run it, turn power off and on, I lose keyboard and sound. Anyone have any ideas? I don't understand and I'm sad :(

edit: It seems sometimes it will run fine and sometimes it will have frozen keyboard and no sound. The kernel rom doesn't work for me anymore, so F keys don't have those neat functions. After I load a snapshot, my 1541 drive emulation turns to TRUE. I don't understand why this started happening with this latest build.

spinal_cord
March 16th, 2007, 08:27
I reverted back to the second-latest build. The new one wasn't loading some of my games properly.

gho
March 16th, 2007, 10:46
After I load a snapshot, my 1541 drive emulation turns to TRUE. I don't understand why this started happening with this latest build.

Yes, when testing, I experienced also some changes in the settings file. Obviously Frodo miraculously writes to it. :)

However, in my opinion, the latest version is the best in terms of timing and sound. Really big improvement compared with the last verson! Thumbs up! :thumbup:

In my opinion, getting saves to work is more crucial. Imagine, you write an assembly program for the C64 on your DS, save that one to the *.d64 Disk image, transfer the image to pc and write the stuff with opencbm - tools to a real floppy disk and finally execute it on real hardware. Neat, neat, neat!

Bruno124
March 19th, 2007, 15:08
Hi Troy

You wrote, that you don't know how to use the touch screen. Here are two workarounds:

a) Use one of the Buttons as Ctrl. E.g. if L is pressed and U on the Keyboard is touched don't execute the Keyboard-Routine but do whatever you want with this shortcut.

b) or if you know how to read touches, but not, how to draw buttons, you still can work with "invisible buttons": Top left/middle/right, above Keyboard left/middle/right would give 6 Buttons which are easy to hit

And another Suggestion: To prevent pixelloss you could
1. center the screen (and lgnore the 64 pixels left/right, 8 pixels up/down)
2. adjust the cropped windows by 4 buttons/Shortcuts
Of course this solution must be switchable since some games are not really playable this way...

Anyway: Thanks for this little C64 :thumbup:

crookedmouth
March 20th, 2007, 23:49
Does the keyboard freeze and/or sound not work, periodically for anyone else?

gho
March 28th, 2007, 20:31
Hi Troy! Happy Brithday!

bytepete
March 28th, 2007, 21:27
Happy Birthday Troy !

And best wishes for you !

cu:cool:

crookedmouth
April 8th, 2007, 05:22
The only way that I can make it consistently work without losing keyboard control and sound, is to make sure it is the last program I installed on my CF(I hope that is it). This means every time I alter the CF. The only thing is Kernal.rom doesn't work for me so I can't use shortcut functions.
I'm glad I can run it now. I'm just worried that future features may be broken.

Harmonis
April 8th, 2007, 07:49
Specs

DS LITE
R4
2 Gig Sandisk Micro
Running R4 Firmware version 1.08 Beta
Running FrodoDS release on 21507

Emulator runs perfectly sound is awesome. Out of the 800+ roms I have for the C64 most of what I have tried run perfectly.

Most of the Multi-Disk roms wont run or lock up.

I am trying to get Neuromancer and Mars Saga to run

Nerumancer is 4 Files Sides 1 -4

I can get to the New game selection, start game it then goes to a black screen and does nothing. Not sure if I am not giving it enough time or what.

Same thing with Mars Saga, except it sits at the EA screen and nothing more.

I have tried changing disks on both of these to see if that helps but nothing happens.

Some one explain to me how to setup this multi-disk?

Also someone mentioned creating a snapshot. How does one go about doing this?

If you are looking for a C64 GAME rom pm me I'll have it, unless it's rare which i'd probably still have anyway.

Harm|

nyuk1998
April 8th, 2007, 23:06
I still can't get Montezuma's Revenge to run. But the rest run great.

GPF
April 9th, 2007, 01:52
I still can't get Montezuma's Revenge to run. But the rest run great.

Have you found a version of Montezuma that works on the pc version of frodo? I wasn't able to find one.

Troy(GPF)