PDA

View Full Version : New SEGA console / dreamcast 1.5

captainaye
March 24th, 2010, 14:15
This is something which is going ahead but I need a fairy good sized development team/community behind it.

I have the hardware, ideas etc to develop this but I do need people to realize this is something which will go ahead but community support is needed.

So the idea behind it is literally to put a modified Dreamcast into a new shell...which is pretty much it but once again to give it boundries and to re-invent it so to speak with certain additions.

abit like the Wii, which is a Gamecube in a prettier shell.

So this will be a modified Dreamcast in the way of housing, controller, IMAGE (which is the most important part of the whole thing) and most of all bringing together a new collective and hopefully bringing SEGA back to the golden age.

So the image of the unit is an upgraded Genesis/Megadrive with a sleek design but the main thing is gettin the games image back.

So instead of "HD" remakes (which are upscaled with filter effects applied) they would literally have new sprites/sounds and levels... the new modeled golden axe on the dreamcast by another member on here is a brilliant version and idea.

So we would like to develop a sequels, origional games and remakes.

The main image would be 2D multiplane scrolling but presented in a 2D style.

the modifications include RGB output to higher resolutions, decent sound output, SD card possibly CD.DVD but mostly homebrew development.

this as I said is more an image thing with a group of people moving towards a certain goal for the re-invention and keeping towards a style which should hopefully reinvigorate a love for the new school with an old school twist.

im trying to develop something which will give to the community something in which these 15-in-1 units and fake sega units are raping it and its loosing the magic.

we as a community on this project will hopefully re-ignite the sega love.

If this is something which interests you or you think you can help then this can go ahead but need support to go ahead!

but just remember the DC has the perfect price/power ration to make this work.

captainaye
March 24th, 2010, 14:23
So for those interested I need teams/ideas/critasisms for the following;

Bios modification for the DC (team will be briefed on whats needed)

A "Gold code" Example game, with complete BOX, instructions etc by a homebrew developer..I will help with final presentation.

Experienced hardware modifier for SEGA DC for opinions ideas and consultations and workings on for Alpha/Beta design units.

Any software/programmers with experience with the DC enviroment and SH-4 knowledge.

People with origional ideas.

remember this is completely for non profit.

What you would expect want from the console.

++++SPECS WILL FOLLOW++++

captainaye
March 24th, 2010, 14:29
The unit will need to be modified to hold the following.

SD Card input for homebrew.

Possible DVD/CD/GD input but Im hoping that SD will replace all of these.

SD Card selfboot images.

4 USB inputs (Just rewierd proprotry connections) for controllers.

Multi AV out...Component or conmposite RGB.

Internal VGA modified to HDMI output with 3.5 mm jack for audio. or split channel outputs on rear.

overclocked unit CPU by 20mhz

Custom BIOS which just displays LOGO and save data, and boot kernal for SD Roms etc (if possible)

Controller will have the following;

One analogue 6 buttons, one start. thats it. Analogue will have switch D-pad responce but alas still 3D analogue.

Memory card will be built/soldered directly onto motherboard.

Like I said simple unit, its all about image and keeping to a style of games.

Eviltaco64
March 24th, 2010, 20:18
Hmm, adding loads of hardware the Dreamcast wasn't designed for on top of hacking the bios to work with all of it is going to be a little difficult.

wraggster
March 24th, 2010, 20:31
i would love to see an hdmi version of the Dreamcast with an hacked Bios that loads PSX and other emulators.

also with built in broadband

captainaye
March 24th, 2010, 22:13
Tis true. But I dont think it needed be that difficult.

HDMI can be adapted VIA RGB for example a converter from VGA etc to DVI to HDMI...you can get an RGB signal just not Surround with it.

So it would be a case of adding a VGA port using the RGB signal then adapting it for the correct pins on HDMI, May not be Hi-Def but it will still be a damn fine picture on Flat panels and CRT.

As for the SD reader its more an idea, I know you can addone via the serial interface its whether or not you can BOOT rom/.ISO files from it...if it can't work then I shall remove it.

To put it simply, the idea is too rehouse the DC in a sleek Genesis/MD style case with newer styling. With ports for modern TVs, Different redesigned controllers, and new and rehashed games with "backwards" compatibility with GD-Roms.

The main Issue I see is reconfiguring the BIOS to look more Sega like, just changing the graphics and limiting access.

The whole Idea is to re-innvent the glory days to just have a plain kick ass console with the image of making it old-school as it were.

Think of it as the "Wii" which is pretty much just "Gamecube" hardware with a new periferal.

I think it could work. Im currently working on designing the shell and breaking it down as too how it would work etc...but I need people help me out to design the thing and input ideas into the project.

if you can make it so the DC can easily;

Boot anything!

provide Broadband access out the box to play new and classic games online for example imagine your playing Golden Axe but having your mate as player two in another country?? so you can treat another DC as player two. that would rock all classic games over the internet would rock! so its a case of when redesigning said game (without an emulator) to implement said networking is this possible?

imagine online micromachines in top down but with 3d models and T&L etc would be ace?

So this is why I need peeps to help develop etc.

---

but im gonna post the grid sheets with the new shell design and controller board etc when i gets some names signed up etc. and then when the ball gets rolling il get the prototypes made up.

so whats your thoughts and opinions??

StryfeDc
March 25th, 2010, 20:04
LOL, This thread gave me my first good laugh of the day.

But in all seriousness if you even have to ask how to implement certain features, you shouldn't be telling experienced devvers, or hard modders what is possible with the DC.

Not to mention the unrealistic functions, or expectations.

"they would literally have new sprites/sounds and levels... " and "so its a case of when redesigning said game (without an emulator) to implement said networking is this possible?" are real kickers...

Do you honestly expect people to rebuild games from scratch, without the proper licenses, and then distribute them in freely downloadable formats like ISO, or GDI?

Sounds like dreams of piracy...

MrTeressaBond
May 12th, 2010, 22:14
5 years (waaay) ahead of you :D