PDA

View Full Version : Hackmii News - Hardware hacking on the cheap

wraggster
April 7th, 2010, 00:13
News via http://hackmii.com/2010/04/hardware-hacking-on-the-cheap/

It’s been quiet on the Wii front lately — Nintendo has yet to release any new updates in a while. Nothing new to report on the DSi front (… yet …). However, all hardware hackers need good tools, and it’s even more fun if you can hack your tools!

There seems to be a trend in test equipment to make artificially-limited models that have fewer features, yet only differ from their more-power cousins in configuration or software. A good example that has seen some coverage already is the Rigol DS1052E scope — see the most recent EEVblog on the subject, EEVblog #70 – Turn your Rigol DS1052E Oscilloscope into a 100MHz DS1102E (Hack). You can even buy that scope at ourmy favorite online cheap Chinese crap store, DealExtreme, for about $400.

I only wish I could get as enthusiastic on video about this stuff as Dave does — but I don’t see that happening soon, so you’ll have to settle for a writeup on LostScrews about how to perform an even bigger upgrade on the ZeroPlus LAP-C16032 Logic Analyzer (about $120 on Amazon — Zeroplus LAP-C 16032 Logic Analyzer Logic Cube — EUR 120 elsewhere).