PDA

View Full Version : Android News - On the delay, the freeware status of Spark

wraggster
April 7th, 2010, 17:48
News via http://0xff.akop.org/2010/04/05/on-the-freeware-status-of-spark-psn-update/

I’ve found a fairly serious issue with scrolling on the Nexus One that’s forcing me to reconsider several things. First, it looks like scrolling works differently on the phone (at the moment I’m not sure if it’s the phone itself, or the firmware) – the ListView is not receiving the IDLE event if the user stops scrolling with his/her finger. End result of this is that if you stop scrolling with your finger (as opposed to waiting until scrolling stops automatically), Spark will not load un-cached icons. The (elegant) solution to this appears to be more complicated than one would hope – after some testing, I’ve decided to completely change how icons are loaded, which is going to take a considerable amount of time (a large number of activities use scrolling lists).

On the plus side, having the phone has allowed me to fix a lot of the issues that Droid and Nexus One users have been reporting for a while now – namely the ’star’ corruption on the profiles, and the lack of high-resolution icons. The next version of Spark is optimized for medium- and high-resolution screens – the only drawback to this is that it is no longer likely to work on firmware 1.5 – it will require 1.6 or higher (this should be a non-issue for most users).