PDA

View Full Version : Sony Update Bricks Playstations

wraggster
April 7th, 2010, 22:19
A controversial update which was seeded by Sony in order to remove the ability to run Linux on the Playstation 3 games console has caused a storm of complaints. The 3.21 firmware upgrade, which removes the security hole provided by the 'Install Other OS' widget used by lots of educational institutions and hackers alike, also removes the console's ability to play games... turning it into a very expensive doorstop

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/04/07/1221232/Sony-Update-Bricks-Playstations

Shrygue
April 8th, 2010, 13:32
Wow, so it's v2.40/v3.15 all over again. Sony should roll out an update that brings back the OtherOS option, maybe that could stop the bricking of users' systems.

mike_jmg
April 8th, 2010, 16:07
that's odd

I updated to 3.21 cause it wouldn't let me get into psn so I could get my GOW 3 DLC, and my Ps3 is just fine, was planing to add linux to play some emus but I'm not able anymore (T-T).

also, still can't get the dominus skin, says it's already been used or incorrect and its neither.

But yeah, this update didn't brick mine, maybe it bricks when you have Other OS installed.

VampDude
April 8th, 2010, 19:29
Awesome... Two SONY errors in less than two months for the old PS3 console, it seems that they are focused on the Slim as the new market point, but are forgetting about the other 20-30 million PS3 consoles.

My slim is fine. :cool:

doctored
April 8th, 2010, 23:20
Do we know why they removed Linux capabilities? Seems so weird to do it after so long.

Darksaviour69
April 8th, 2010, 23:52
Do we know why they removed Linux capabilities? Seems so weird to do it after so long.

Because Hotz found a way to hack the ps3 via otherOs, and instead of patching/fixing it Sony decided to remove it! ;)

Qmark
April 9th, 2010, 05:38
For the time being, the DNS workaround seems like a good idea.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/04/05/how-to-access-psn-bypassing-ps3-firmware-3-21-upgrade-for-otheros/

It's simple and effective. PS Store seems to work, and apparently online play over PSN is working also. If only it was that simple to get a 550 PSP into the PS Store again (or maybe it is? has anyone tried?).

FireStag
April 9th, 2010, 09:11
This is a bad choice of words... upgrading doesn't brick the ps3, not upgrading will result in a pretty much useless ps3... I believe that's what the article meant.