PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Owner Refunded (Without Return) for Missing Other OS (linux)

Darksaviour69
April 9th, 2010, 11:21
From playstationuniversity.com (http://www.playstationuniversity.com/ps3-owner-refunded-without-return-for-missing-other-os-3555/)

Retailer Amazon has offered a partial refund to a European PS3 owner following his complaint about the removal of the console’s ‘Other OS’ feature. Firmware 3.21 infamously removed the ability to install other Operating Systems (such as Yellow Dog Linux) on the PlayStation 3. Though the feature was widely unused by the majority of PS3 gamers, many were angered by Sony’s audacity to remotely disable an original PS3 feature. One gamer has come up trumps, citing European law to earn a partial refund.

That’s a partial refund from Amazon without returning their PS3. Said gamer is NeoGAF Forum moderator Iapetus, who cited European law to argue that his original 60GB console, which was considerably out of warranty and Amazon’s 30-day guarantee, no longer operated as advertised. The online retailer’s policy was to offer a refund weighing in at approximately 20 per cent of the console’s original value (£84).

Said European law is Directive 1999/44/EC, which was accepted into European Parliament on 1 January 2002. Apart from requiring all European member states to alter their legislation to carry at least a two-year warranty on all new consumer goods (the UK’s Sale of Goods Act offers up to 6 years possible protection) the Directive also includes a stipulation relevant to Sony’s removal of the PS3’s Other OS. The two points read:

“The goods must:

* comply with the description given by the seller and posses the same qualities and characteristics as other similar goods
* be fit for the purpose which the consumer requires them and which was made known to the seller at the time of purchase.”

symbal
April 9th, 2010, 19:05
The rest of the story says Amazon's gonna pass that cost back on to Sony because of the way the law works, so if Sony is responsible for that 20% refund it's gonna cost them a s**t load of money but i think more likely they reinstate the other OS feature in the next few weeks.

Spotfist
April 9th, 2010, 19:25
I agree surely sony will have to stick the "other OS" back into effect else everyone will be asking for some cash back... Hell for £80 Im tempted to do the same!

Why the hell are Sony destroying the PS brand? I had to get an xbox cuz I was sick of waiting for the games to come out, is GT5 ever going to come out? by the time it does it will look rubbish! :(

phsychokill
April 9th, 2010, 19:29
hmmm gona have to dig out my receipt and see what currys has to say.

Shrygue
April 10th, 2010, 22:48
Hmm, interesting, maybe I could join the bandwagon. I believe I still have my Game store receipt somewhere, perhaps they'll come up with something too I hope.

VampDude
April 11th, 2010, 02:37
I had to get an xbox

Haha, much reduced functioanlity compared to the PS3. :rolleyes: