PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion PSP Under Development BY Climax Studio?

wraggster
July 28th, 2006, 16:22
Via Kotaku (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/climax-uk/oblivion-psp-under-development-by-climax-studio-190223.php)

Sources tell me that the rumored Playstation Portable version of Oblivion are true. The game is being ported by Climax UK and while I couldn't find out what form the game would take, I'm told that UMD space isn't as big a concern as some might think. The PSP version won't have 512x512 textures, instead relying on something closer to 128x128 textures and true color will likely be replaced by 16 color. Both of these moves greatly reduces the amount of space the final game would likely take up

QueadlunnRau
July 28th, 2006, 16:35
Oblivion on the PSP!!! That would seriously rock my goat. I have not started the Xbox 360 Oblivion so I must hold off for the portable version.

NiGame
July 28th, 2006, 16:37
16 colour thats a bit lame or do you think he means 16bit 65000 odd colours?

ACID
July 28th, 2006, 16:39
So what there saying is BETHESTA gave them permision to use there lisenced game and make money of it. Now i really think this is not going to happen. It's like if i made a big hit selling game and then sayd hey guys you want to do it for another counsil and get the glorie i dought it. And i was hopping it was going to be released.:(

MightyBobBarker
July 28th, 2006, 16:57
So what there saying is BETHESTA gave them permision to use there lisenced game and make money of it. Now i really think this is not going to happen. It's like if i made a big hit selling game and then sayd hey guys you want to do it for another counsil and get the glorie i dought it. And i was hopping it was going to be released.:(

Don't lose hope yet. The gaming industry is not as simple as "it's mine and nobody else can use it." Just look at how many games run off of Unreal's 3D engine. So anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that Bethesda probably didn't want more work so they got some help from a smaller company. Bethesda will most likely still have a hand in making the game (if this isn't just another rumor) whether it be just checking and making sure it's up to their standards or possibly helping with the build. After all, look how much money Square-Enix has made off of Tri-Ace.

ACID
July 28th, 2006, 17:08
mighty you are right im just consirn with the fact that they had sayd several times that it was going to be an exclusive xbox and pc game

Tetris999
July 28th, 2006, 17:13
weird soooo a OBLIVION for the psp say that again it makes no sense is this some type of homebrew or is it a real game???????

SSaxdude
July 28th, 2006, 17:52
I can only imagine the loading times on this, it will be a nightmare.

ACID
July 28th, 2006, 18:01
weird soooo a OBLIVION for the psp say that again it makes no sense is this some type of homebrew or is it a real game???????
This is one of the biggest maped rpgs ever and its the 4th in the morrowind series and its not a homebrew. Its suppost to be the real deal.

stotheamuel
July 28th, 2006, 18:41
I can only imagine the loading times on this, it will be a nightmare.

and they'll still cut out over half the game

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 28th, 2006, 19:59
didnt like it on the pc so wont even bother with a watered down psp version.

BrooksyX
July 28th, 2006, 20:18
and they'll still cut out over half the game

You have to take what you can get and there is only one really good rpg for the psp and that is breath of fire 3. All of the other ones suck in one way or another.

It is oblivian so they arnt just going to do some crappy job, just make it so the game is more suitable for a portable system. Anyways i hope this is real and if it is i bet it will be one of the best portable rpgs so far.

Cap'n 1time
July 28th, 2006, 21:16
even if they did cut half of the game... thast still a hell of alot of game. oblivion is huge!

dtothabreezy
July 28th, 2006, 21:19
wait they could fit it all on one umd they said oblivion took up what like 7gig half of that was pepole talkin so 3 1/2 was the game then cuttin the models and the colors would bring it down to about 1 gig then they could keep the score filling the umd at least i think that would work but it would no way look or fill like oblivion:D

Junior
July 28th, 2006, 23:07
While I would be much happier to play Gothic on the PSP instead, I will be watching the subject more closely now.

I've put off these rumors until now, but it just keeps coming right back. That's annoying, I hope there is a definite yes or no soon.

An open ended RPG *like* Oblivion could be interesting on the PSP. I wonder what Online qualities it could have.

I'm thinking of an infrastructure market place for items. An Arena and some Coop Dungeons.

F9zDark
July 28th, 2006, 23:13
Don't lose hope yet. The gaming industry is not as simple as "it's mine and nobody else can use it." Just look at how many games run off of Unreal's 3D engine. So anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that Bethesda probably didn't want more work so they got some help from a smaller company. Bethesda will most likely still have a hand in making the game (if this isn't just another rumor) whether it be just checking and making sure it's up to their standards or possibly helping with the build. After all, look how much money Square-Enix has made off of Tri-Ace.

Right, alot of games use Unreal's engines. But at a hefty price tag...

Also, I'd like to know how this deal was made, since, being a modder within the Oblivion community, Bethesda fubared when they used the Havok physics engine for the game. Because of this, Bethesda is unable to release their modeling tools to the modding community, because the makers of Havok aren't allowing it. (since their code needs to be compiled with the models, to make it 'physics bound').

So porting this over would require not only the company doing it to pay Bethesda for their storyline, graphics engine(which I might add, would be so severely crippled, that it would be stupid to get a license for it) and character usage, but they'd also have to pay the makers of Havok for the physics engine as well. Since the game engine would contain the Physics code as it is, regardless if they use it, they'd still have to pay for it.

And seeing that game engines cost upwards of 10,000 USD, and given the popularity and performance of the Havok physics engine, I'd say that is also in upwards of 10,000 USD. So right there the company is paying 20,000 USD for two engines that they couldn't ever possibly use on the PSP to its fullest.

I am sorry, but no 3rd party company would even think about wasting that kind of money on a game that they'd have to cripple to the point of not even being called the same game.

To give you some insight into this matter, before I got my ATI X800 All in Wonder, I had to play Oblivion at the MINIMUM settings for every option, with 640x480 resolution. Even then I was averaging around 5 FPS outside, and in combat. Interiors were about 15 FPS, depending on how many people were around.

JUST FORGET ABOUT THIS ONE. IT IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
July 28th, 2006, 23:24
Right, alot of games use Unreal's engines. But at a hefty price tag...

Also, I'd like to know how this deal was made, since, being a modder within the Oblivion community, Bethesda fubared when they used the Havok physics engine for the game. Because of this, Bethesda is unable to release their modeling tools to the modding community, because the makers of Havok aren't allowing it. (since their code needs to be compiled with the models, to make it 'physics bound').

So porting this over would require not only the company doing it to pay Bethesda for their storyline, graphics engine(which I might add, would be so severely crippled, that it would be stupid to get a license for it) and character usage, but they'd also have to pay the makers of Havok for the physics engine as well. Since the game engine would contain the Physics code as it is, regardless if they use it, they'd still have to pay for it.

And seeing that game engines cost upwards of 10,000 USD, and given the popularity and performance of the Havok physics engine, I'd say that is also in upwards of 10,000 USD. So right there the company is paying 20,000 USD for two engines that they couldn't ever possibly use on the PSP to its fullest.

I am sorry, but no 3rd party company would even think about wasting that kind of money on a game that they'd have to cripple to the point of not even being called the same game.

To give you some insight into this matter, before I got my ATI X800 All in Wonder, I had to play Oblivion at the MINIMUM settings for every option, with 640x480 resolution. Even then I was averaging around 5 FPS outside, and in combat. Interiors were about 15 FPS, depending on how many people were around.

Dude i hear ya got a geforce 6600gt 256mb and 2 gb of ram and a xp 3200 and it still ran like shit @ 800x600 so god help it on a lowly psp this game is going to have to be sevearly modded and will be virtually unrecogniseable from other versions if this happens.

Sumo X
July 29th, 2006, 00:26
Oblivion sucked, at least without mods.

And frankly, I just don't see how a game of this scope would work on a handheld. They're like diametrically opposed.

What would be cool is to have a game built from the ground up on the PSP based of the Elder Scrolls series.

ACID
July 29th, 2006, 04:28
Oblivion sucked, at least without mods.

And frankly, I just don't see how a game of this scope would work on a handheld. They're like diametrically opposed.

What would be cool is to have a game built from the ground up on the PSP based of the Elder Scrolls series.
All though i love the series i agree with you

souleater
July 29th, 2006, 16:14
You have to take what you can get and there is only one really good rpg for the psp and that is breath of fire 3. All of the other ones suck in one way or another.

It is oblivian so they arnt just going to do some crappy job, just make it so the game is more suitable for a portable system. Anyways i hope this is real and if it is i bet it will be one of the best portable rpgs so far.

What about Valkyrie Profile? That is a great rpg(one of the greatest) and it is avaible for the psp.

jason867
July 29th, 2006, 17:52
I stand by my comment that I'll upgrade to whatever firmware sony wants to play this, as long as it lives up to it's name (and is the real deal)

QueadlunnRau
July 29th, 2006, 20:19
Fake or not this game goes on pre-sale at gamestop ... I mean is it really so hard to believe Oblivion can be ported although watered down a little for the PSP? When GTA LCS was rumored some people had thier doubts as well.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=190345

Pro
August 11th, 2006, 12:56

I don't think youre seeing the big (or realistic) picture here, If you wanted to achieve Oblivion on a PSP, why would you even look at using bethesda's engine or renderer? Exactly, you wouldn't, you'd have to be completely insane to do such a thing. Its built for completely different hardware architecture with a completely different set of requirements.

You'd either code your own engine, or use one of the current middleware engines that already exist for the psp. Straight away you've got a toolchain in existence with which you can work with. I also dont think you'd even need to use havok because the use of havok in the pc/360 game affects the gameplay in such a minor way, its almost pointless.

If you look at the core elements of oblivion, the real core gameplay, and used that as a starting point, oblivion on a psp is very achievable.

Pro
September 28th, 2006, 12:10
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3901&Itemid=2

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154065

^_^

klisejo
September 28th, 2006, 15:39

http://www.elderscrolls.com/news/press_092806.htm

"In addition, The Elder Scrolls® Travels: Oblivion™ will be released on the PSP®(PlayStation®Portable) system in the Spring 2007 in North America and Europe.

Both the PLAYSTATION 3 and PSP system titles will be published exclusively in North America by Bethesda Softworks, while in Europe, Ubisoft will serve as co-publisher. Complete details on both games are available in Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine's (OPM) exclusive cover story (November issue), which hits newsstands Oct. 10. In its article OPM previews the gameplay, graphics, and new content in Oblivion and concludes: "If any game is worth the price of the PS3, Oblivion is it."

quzar
September 28th, 2006, 16:31
This is one of the biggest maped rpgs ever and its the 4th in the morrowind series and its not a homebrew. Its suppost to be the real deal.

Says who? First of all, the name of the series is "The Elder Scrolls". Secondly, Oblivion takes place in a world that is estimated to be 16 square miles in size. The second TES game, Daggerfall, took place in a world that was over 160000 square miles in size (over 15000 towns and 750000 NPCs). Respect.

I have the feeling that this is going to end up being what Shadowkey was to morrowind.