PDA

View Full Version : Most teens are willing DLC consumers

wraggster
April 14th, 2010, 23:18
A survey has shown that most teens are willing to pay for DLC.

The survey by Piper Jaffray, which got responses from over 6,000 teenagers with the average age of 16, shows that 53 percent of teens are willing to pay for DLC.

The same survey notes that teens make up 35 percent of video game players, so that's already a big chunk of DLC sales accounted for before everyone else is considered.

Unfortunately, the survey doesn't say how many of them annoy their parents by asking for their credit card to pay for the DLC.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=242808?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

royvedas
April 15th, 2010, 05:37
These teens need a well meant slap in the face. The DLC business model is not an advantage for the consumer.

John Vattic
April 15th, 2010, 07:30
I agree^

it's like paying money to someone for having afterthoughts.

what is next, pay money for firmware updates? because if you think about it, it's an increase (or decrease thanx for ps3 update 3.21 $ony) in content of the system.

i miss the late 80's gaming :(
games were good and had to be because there wasn't advertising hype.

VampDude
April 15th, 2010, 11:31
The DLC business model is not an advantage for the consumer.

That is where you are somewhat wrong, DLC is an advantage for the consumer who wants more out've their existing games. Developers do not work for free, so any extra content for an already released game is an advantage to the willing gamer whether it be purchased or downloaded FREE of charge.

The only downside to DLC, is that once you've purchased it. You cannot get a refund, unless of course you sell your gaming account... Which people do on eBay, then SONY usually does a lockdown (unsure if Microsoft do the same?) when it's for PlayStation Store credits.

Krisando
April 15th, 2010, 12:07
DLC is for noobs.

VampDude
April 15th, 2010, 12:24
DLC is for noobs.

Much like yourself (a n00b to DCEmu)...

Because you possibly don't know the definition of the word, DLC is for everyone new and old to gaming.

If game developers were to release just a disc with the game engine and everything to make any given game using that engine work, meaning you could purchase a number of full games including their sequels which use the very game engine via DLC... You wouldn't call the thousands of gamers n00bs, because it would be a cheaper alternative breaktrough within the gaming industry because DLC is the future.

John Vattic
April 15th, 2010, 12:59
Much like yourself (a n00b to DCEmu)

hate to point out but krisando joined dcemu before you.:rofl:

fanboys can buy extra crap, no biggie. they should be able to. all for it.

but selling games in parts is nasty business. they're no longer works of art but consumables. :(

DLC is for noobs.
^also this statement does hold some profound truth:thumbup:

VampDude
April 15th, 2010, 14:52
hate to point out but krisando joined dcemu before you.:rofl:

And your point is?

I'm an active user of DCEmu.

fanboys can buy extra crap, no biggie. they should be able to. all for it.

DLC has nothing to do with fanboyism, which in my case I'm a gamer and not a fanboy since I have no preferences to a set console... Though I'm only for the Japanese ones, Microsoft sadly doesn't have a place in my heart for the console market.

but selling games in parts is nasty business.

It is, but that is how the developers are ensuring the gamers continue to play and enjoy the game. Leasing a new life into it's own, such as Little Big Planet which is an awesome game due to DLC. :cool:

symbal
April 15th, 2010, 15:14
Games used to have a very short shelf life so i guess DLC is good to extend it, but only if the content is used to add to the original game and not to make the game restricted against the updated version.