PDA

View Full Version : MGS Peace Walker 'uncut' in West

wraggster
April 16th, 2010, 19:54
Hideo Kojima has revealed that the Western version of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker will be the 'uncut' version, much to his disappointment.

Kojima revealed on Twitter last night that the PSP Metal Gear had a scene removed from the Japanese version in order to keep it from getting an 18 rating equivalent in the country.

Kojima says that the PSP is supported by a younger audience and so during Peace Walker's production the staff made the effort to avoid 'grotesque' scenes.

However, there's "a certain scene", a "standard element" that's "absolutely necessary for MGS," that apparently could not make it under a 15 rating equivalent in Japan, so they had it removed.

The European and North American versions of the game are the original version without the adjustments made for the Japanese version.

Kojima expectedly isn't happy about the need to remove content from his game. He wrote: "There's tolerance for fantasy games, but for games where you show war or real violence between people, you apparently can't complain about anything. With this, it seems impossible to communicate something through games."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=243127?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Spyzius
April 17th, 2010, 08:48
Too bad, I wonder how major is this "uncut"

Justise
April 17th, 2010, 11:01
Great! I hate censored games! If they decide to censor the game to Europe, all I have to do is port the American version!

VampDude
April 17th, 2010, 13:51
Too bad, I wonder how major is this "uncut"

I'm thinking nothing drastic, since all the main Metal Gear Solid games have been released with a 15+ certificate. The digital graphic novel (PSP) was released with an M rating and the portable ops games were released with a 12+ rating... Which the first Portable Ops game was terrible, prompting me to take it back in exchange for Loco Roco (September 2006) after 20 minutes of play.

Uncut is always the best, because the games with a rating for children under the age of 15 kills the game.

PoorKingz
April 17th, 2010, 19:25
Wait the American version is uncensored?! I don't understand. America is much stricter on censorship than Japan. Movies, anime, and games from Japan are often edited for the US. Why is this the other way around?

NeoXCS
April 17th, 2010, 20:45
Games are actually rarely edited for violence in the US. Anime sometimes gets edited for content on TV (usually not on DVD) because it is usually considered "children's cartoons". America generally has the most unedited for violence games that I've noticed.