PDA

View Full Version : PS3's summer 3D firmware is all fun and games... and no Blu-ray movie support?

wraggster
April 17th, 2010, 22:03
If you want you and your loved ones looking like the family pictured alongside this text, sitting in front of the TV gazing at 3D dolphins emanating from you PlayStation 3 through your television console, your best bet is to envision Ecco, not Flipper.* According to TechRadar, Sony has clarified that the summer firmware update to enable 3D applies to games only, and that 3D Blu-ray movie support will come with a second update due out later this year. We haven't been able to confirm the announcement ourselves, but suddenly, that freebie copy of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 3D isn't looking so tantalizing.

* Hypothetically speaking, of course. We have no confirmation on a 3D version of Sega's Ecco the Dolphin or Season 3 of Flipper, featuring "The Most Expensive Sardine in the World."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/17/ps3s-summer-3d-firmware-is-all-fun-and-games-and-no-blu-ray/

VampDude
April 18th, 2010, 17:00
No Bluray support is alienating those who wish to purchase the 3D movies on Bluray, at least for the time being (wait for all the complaints) for SONY to perfect the full PlayStation experience... SONY will be in this market too, along with the Bluray market and continuing to add the stickers to all the titles "Compatible with the PlayStation 3 - NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XBOX 360". :cool:

You've just got to love SONY. :)

Baboon
April 18th, 2010, 20:33
You've just got to love SONY. :)

Its a pity $ony doesn't love its loyal fanbase back though! They seem to take one step forward and three steps back by losing features each revision...

80Gb version, PS2 backward compatibility, 4 usb ports

40Gb PS3, no PS2 backward compatibility and only 2 USB ports

PS3 Slim, no Other OS support

:confused:

At least 3D is coming with the next firmware though for the many(?) people that have high end TV's that support 3D display with the glasses.

VampDude
April 19th, 2010, 12:12
Not having an alternative OS option doesn't bother me, since I have my PC and laptop for all that. Neither does the lack of PS2 backwards capability, because I have my PS2 beside my PS3 at the most of times (even my PlayStation). :cool:

The slim is the best choice, let alone the fact it doesn't have the extras of the older 80GB model. But when you buy a PS3, you get to choose from the get go whether or not you want those features from purchasing one pre-owned from eBay or a new one without but with an extended life expectancy. :)

I don't think many people here in the UK will be going ahead into the 3D realm just too soon (maybe 2011 will be the breakthough), though I don't think the 3D firmware will affect any of us because I think it's just a TV setting like when we select the A/V component and HDMI... Which many people like myself will be choosing the option to see what it looks like though having the wrong TV type. :p