PDA

View Full Version : Console Crysis ‘looked impossible’

wraggster
April 20th, 2010, 14:45
The first game was lauded as the flag-bearer of high-end PC gaming, and developer Crytek has admitted that thewre were times when it feared that bringing the sequel Crysis 2 to consoles was an ‘impossible’ task.
“Back then we would have been limited with our knowledge of 3D and experience with CryEngine,” Crytek CEO Cervat Yerli told CVG.
“Today, we have much more experience with the technology and the bleeding edge experience on PC helped us to trickle down the engine, step-by-step. So we were looking at every high-end feature and said ‘how can we bring this to console?’. I said to our technology guys, we have no choice. It has to come. How do we do it?
“Instead of telling me which ones you can and can't do, whenever it looked impossible, I said find another solution. So that forced a lot of optimisation and rethinking.”
Yerli added that the lessons it learnt with the console game ultimately lead to a better PC version, too.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38604/Console-Crysis-looked-impossible

muzzz
April 21st, 2010, 01:03
what this shows is how pc games developers are lazy programers , and consistantly make pc owners upgrade to ever more powerfull graphics cards so the developers can show off thier fancy new engines .nothing proved this point more when quake was released on the psone with its 33mhz processor and good programing , it amazed us and made me wonder what the pc version could have been like if they tried harder.so suprise suprise that they can port it to the new consoles with a bit of decent programing.

symbal
April 21st, 2010, 01:38
I never got why people spend 1000's every year just for those half dozen games that can use that £800 graphics card with slightly less glitches than the one you bought 10 months earlier, to me it's not about playing the games it's really about showing off.