PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft eco-drive leads to scrapping of game manuals

wraggster
April 20th, 2010, 14:47
Ubisoft is to replace its paper instruction manuals with digital ones in an attempt to save trees and stem its greenhouse gases output.

The move will also allow the publisher to provide a more robust manual to gamers, said Ubisoft, as well as more intuitive access to game information.

In addition to its paper-saving initiative, Ubisoft has also partnered with Technimark to switch to the industry's most environmentally-responsible DVD case for all of its future PC titles in North America.

"Ubisoft is often recognised for making great games, but it's a special privilege to be the industry leader at saving trees," said Laurent Detoc, president of Ubisoft North America.

"Eco-friendly initiatives are important to the global community and introducing in-game digital manuals on Xbox 360 and PS3 is just the latest example of Ubisoft's ongoing commitment to being a more environmentally conscious company."

According to Ubisoft data, producing one ton of paper for game manuals consumes an average of two tons of wood from 13 trees, with a net energy of 28 million BTUs - the equivalent to one home's average heating and energy for a year - over 6000lbs of CO2 and 15,000 gallons of waste water.

The digital manuals will be introduced to all Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games, starting with Shaun White Skateboarding, due out later this year.

"It's pretty cool that Ubisoft is making a conscious effort to go green with its new video game packaging," commented Olympic Gold medalist Shaun White. "I'm excited for my new skateboarding game to come out and stoked that it will be the very first Ubisoft game to be part of their green packaging initiatives."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ubisoft-eco-drive-leads-to-scrapping-of-game-manuals

Sonny_Jim
April 20th, 2010, 17:40
The move will also allow the publisher to provide a more robust manual to gamers,
Erm, robust? WTF is that supposed to be mean? Sounds like management speak for "We need to save cash NOW, ditch the manuals".

as well as more intuitive access to game information.

Oh come on, this is clearly bollocks. How is a f*cking paper manual *less* intuitive than a digital copy? Have people forgotten how to turn pages or something?

XDelusion
April 20th, 2010, 20:35
Yet the process behind making the majority of technology that we have today, game discs and consoles included, are not exactly friendly environment.

Anyhow this whole green movement isn't about cleaning up the planet from corporate filth, it's about imposing a U.N. tax on the citizens of various countries that will merely go towards their one world globalist agenda and the live stocking of man kind.

If they were concerned about the earth, our health, and the like, they would not have been all these poisonous technologies over the past century to rush rush rush us all towards "progress" and out of the tribe land away from our family, our culture, our familiar spirits.

symbal
April 20th, 2010, 20:57
I still got a few flight sim manuals from 80's and 90's and aside from destroying rainforests you could destroy your foot if you dropped one of those things, really everyone's so used to reading electronic text it is a good time to get rid of all the extra waste.

NeoXCS
April 21st, 2010, 03:41
I like being able to hold my manual. I like reading it before I start a game sometimes. Usually the first thing I do when I buy a game is crack it open and skim the manual till I get to playing it.