PDA

View Full Version : WiFiController v0.2

wraggster
July 29th, 2006, 20:41
David Rudie has released Wifi Controller for the PSP, heres the release notes:

A little about this first...
Mikko Monone wrote the original controller program for the PSP and the server for the PC. After using his program on the PSP it seemed it was missing some things. The start button exited the program and select didn't work. It had a display for the buttons you would press, and while it was functional, I like a little more detail to be displayed. I then wrote my own controller from scratch and only borrowed a small portion of his code (the packet creation). Here is a link ( http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4197 ) to the thread
that started this all in a way for me.

What this does...
This basically turns your PSP into a controller for your PC (running Windows).

I'm going to attempt to explain how to get this working.

1) Open the PSP directory and edit the proper wifi.cfg for your PSP version and set the IP of the computer you are going to use this on.
2) Copy the correct director(y|ies) to your PSP depending on whether you have a 1.0 or 1.5 PSP. If you use a custom firmware mod that allows the use of single EBOOT.PBP files on a 1.5 PSP then you can use the 1.0 directory.
3) Download and install PPJoy.
http://www.geocities.com/deonvdw/Docs/PPJoyMain.htm
4) After it is installed open up your Control Panel and run Parallel Port Joysticks.
5) When the window comes up click Add... at the bottom and then Add on the next screen.
6) It will want to install some drivers so either have it scan automatically or point it to the directory you install PPJoy to.
7) After it is done installing, click the PPJoy Virtual joystick 1 in the menu and click Mapping...
8) Choose "Set a custom mapping for this controller" and click Next.
9) Axes = 2 (X Axis and Y Axis)
Buttons = 8
POV hats = 1
10) X Axis = Analog 0
Y Axis = Analog 1
11) These buttons are up to you to set. I left them all default but changed Button 7 and Button 8 to be correct because they ARE WRONG default.
Button 1 = Digital 0
Button 2 = Digital 1
Button 3 = Digital 2
Button 4 = Digital 3
Button 5 = Digital 4
Button 6 = Digital 5
Button 7 = Digital 11
Button 8 = Digital 10
12) Directional button POV
North = Digital 6
East = Digital 7
West = Digital 9
South = Digital 8
13) Run the SocketText.exe program. It will open a Command Prompt window. Just minimize it and forget about it. If it just opens and closes, something went wrong. Good luck.
14) Now start the program no your PSP and it should connect to your computer and basically be working. You'll find out in the next step.
15) Go back to your control panel and go to Game Controllers. Click on the PPJoy Virtual joystick 1 and choose Properties. On the screen that comes up you should be able to press buttons on the PSP and have them show as working on the screen. I recommend calibrating the Analog Stick too.
16) Enjoy!

Download and Give feedback Via Comments

Screwie5150
July 29th, 2006, 21:35
is this for PC??? and could you use this for a game like wolfenstein- Enemy Territory???

but i like the WiFi controler idea!!!

thanks for the post

\/oid
July 29th, 2006, 22:01
when the app starts on my psp i get the following..
WifiController:sceNetApctlConect returnes 80110601

i'm guesing it does not like dhcp...works well with static ip..

anyway very nice app:)
well done:)

Squidman
July 29th, 2006, 22:41
This looks very cool.....i hope it'll work on a lap top computer!

Squidman
July 29th, 2006, 23:21
If anyone has gotten this working, please help, the "SocketTest.exe" does not extract and won't run from the zip file......

Datahax
July 30th, 2006, 00:23
Works GREAT! I love it! Tossed out my ancient gamepad now that I have this. Works like a charm.

I've been looking for this for a while but most places where people asked the responce was that it was a silly or stupid request.

You da man :cool:

EDIT:

If you want to swap the DPAD and the mini-Joystick on the PSP change your settings as such -

X Axis
---------
Min: Digital 9
Max: Digital 7

Y Axis
---------
Min: Digital 6
Max: Digital 8

POV Hat 1
-------------
North: Analog 1 min
East: Analog 0 max
West: Analog 0 min
South: Analog 1 max

This is better for emulators I've found (Gens, Visual Boy Advance, Snes9x etc) if you like the classic feel. I live in the past, so sue me.

lordnibbla
July 30th, 2006, 02:37
Edit:
fixed...

Airdevil
July 30th, 2006, 02:49
my command window keeps opening and closing when i try to open it?..... what is wrong?

l Zero Fox l
July 30th, 2006, 03:28
nvm ha this is my 3rd edit, the program is cool but i dunno my own local ip, so ill just keep looking around or guessing local numbers!

Airdevil
July 30th, 2006, 03:43
nvm ha this is my 3rd edit, the program is cool but i dunno my own local ip, so ill just keep looking around or guessing local numbers!

start>run>type in "cmd" without marks>ok>type in "ipconfig"

tada it displays

l Zero Fox l
July 30th, 2006, 05:04
ya but when i do that, btw im on a mexican comp, but the ip is 10.10.80.127 and that isnt a local ip, trust me that was the first thing i did. everything else was subnet mask and dns shnizz

Airdevil
July 30th, 2006, 09:43
then access your router and it should say in the router status screen

dave01
July 30th, 2006, 09:54
When I go on game controllers and the properties (step 15) nothing happens. Can anyone help?

Thanks

end3rbr0
July 30th, 2006, 10:26
quik question, has anyone tried to connect two psp's via wifi to use as controllers 1 and 2?
for some reason I can only get controller 1(my first psp) to register. could it possibly be the ip address in the wifi config? anyone who can help is greatly appreciated:)

stJimmy
July 30th, 2006, 11:52
he said in the artical if it opened and closed straight away it means something is wrong. Does that mean something i did wrong or that it will never work on my comp?

Datahax
July 30th, 2006, 13:03
my command window keeps opening and closing when i try to open it?..... what is wrong?

try making a .bat file with this in it

sockettest.exe
pause

then see what the error is

bungalow340
July 30th, 2006, 13:24
i think that it works on firmware 2.x!

Video_freak
July 30th, 2006, 13:25
ya it should work on 2.x psp's :) (i'm pretty sure it doesnt use kernel mode)

mavsman4457
July 30th, 2006, 16:33
How do you make a .bat folder? Could you just make the folder and post it on here for me to download because whenever I open command prompt, whether it's with this program or for anything else, it always closes right away.

Squidman
July 30th, 2006, 17:23
I can't extract the "SocketTest.exe" wtf is going on here?

Airdevil
July 30th, 2006, 18:07
When I go on game controllers and the properties (step 15) nothing happens. Can anyone help?

Thanks

thats the same position im in atm

\/oid
July 30th, 2006, 18:18
hi guys if think i can help:)
The guys step 5 is a bit crappy..go to control panel open paralel port joysticks click add now instead of just clicking add again select virtual in the paralel port dropdown then follow the readme's steps.the socketTest cmd window will hopefully stay open now...

Squidman
July 30th, 2006, 20:13
The guys step 5 is a bit crappy..go to control panel open paralel port joysticks click add now instead of just clicking add again select virtual in the paralel port dropdown then follow the readme's steps.the socketTest cmd window will hopefully stay open now...

Thank you for helping, just one thing is wrong with it, Windows can pick up the Triangle button being pressed as button 1, but Halo PC doesn't pick it up at all, it picks up Circle as button 1..........

\/oid
July 30th, 2006, 20:40
Thank you for helping, just one thing is wrong with it, Windows can pick up the Triangle button being pressed as button 1, but Halo PC doesn't pick it up at all, it picks up Circle as button 1..........

hmmm sorry dude cant help there...i only used it with pc emulators like the n64 and snes ones..but after playing mario64 a bit i reverted back to my "pc frienly" modded ps2 contoller:)

fistikuffs
July 30th, 2006, 20:47

Thanks Buddy this helped me out. It's working like a dream now. Great app!!:D :D :D :D

vai
July 30th, 2006, 21:05
A very good app! FANTASTIC!

PsychoSync
July 30th, 2006, 21:31
This is working like a charm, thank you for this app. I have one question though, have you thought of testing at wich lowest freq(Mhz) the PSP can operate the Wi-Fi and make this app work? Because if we want to play for a long time, bettery life is crucial. Thanks again.

mavsman4457
July 31st, 2006, 01:55

I'm sorry I don't really see what you are talking about. Do you mean that after we open the program there is supposed to be a button that says "add now?" If that is the case then I don't see it. Also I don't know what the deal with the control panel is. When I go there I don't see anything about the joystick so instead I just go to the programs list. Does that make a difference at all? Thanks in advance.

l Zero Fox l
July 31st, 2006, 03:03
then access your router and it should say in the router status screen

Im on a cousins laptop, no router to be found on this side of the border. still why the hell is the local ip 10.10.80.127, i thought they were like 192.168.x.x

stJimmy
July 31st, 2006, 08:37

Im having that same problem:confused:

Also does anyone no of a (free) program that emulates a keyboard?

fistikuffs
July 31st, 2006, 11:44
I'm sorry I don't really see what you are talking about. Do you mean that after we open the program there is supposed to be a button that says "add now?" If that is the case then I don't see it. Also I don't know what the deal with the control panel is. When I go there I don't see anything about the joystick so instead I just go to the programs list. Does that make a difference at all? Thanks in advance.

Hi. Try again except this time put a full stop between add and now;)

Hungry Horace
July 31st, 2006, 14:22
hmmm - i get the previously mentioned "sceNetApctlCOnnect returns 80110601 " error. :(

is there anything i can change on the router to get it working? port forwardng etc ?

(the psp wifi light doesnt even flicker though ?)

help appriciated!

mavsman4457
July 31st, 2006, 15:01
Hi. Try again except this time put a full stop between add and now;)

Touche and thank you. It's amazing what correct punctuation can do for someone.

end3rbr0
July 31st, 2006, 22:21
can anyone get back to me on what they think the problem might be with using two psp's as wireless controllers, I can get player 1 to work fine, but can't ever get two going at the same time, some help please I will bear your first born if you can answer this question.....

mavsman4457
July 31st, 2006, 23:08
I don't think that this program could handle two different PSP's because it is probably not programmed into it. You could however try the other program that uses the PSP as a controller. It's not as good but that's ok. I'm sure that the programmer of this application will take your request for 2 PSP's into consideration.

Hungry Horace
August 1st, 2006, 02:27
the other one is the one i'm using.... it's ok... it maps to keyboard buttons, but theres no analogue stick control.

no one can help me out in solving the error i'm getting on the PSP end of things?

lorddedrik
August 1st, 2006, 07:15
ok i did all the steps in the readme and i have the sockettest.exe program running on my computer and i have both the wifi card on my computer (with the ip 192.168.1.11) and the wifi on my psp turned on with it set to use the same ip in the wifi.cfg file but when i run the program on the psp it says on the psp screen

WifiController: Connecting...
connection state 0 of 4
connection state 2 of 4

and thats where it stops and it doesnt work. any ideas on whats wrong?

another thing. after this information shows up on the psp screen the wifi light on the psp flashes once.

e-klipse
August 1st, 2006, 08:06
I take it wifi cards don't come with computers. Idk if i have a wifi card or not and i did everything but it says sceNetApct1Connect returns 80110601.

beefypotatoes
August 1st, 2006, 09:29
To people having trouble with the triangle button not working in games:

When mapping the gamepad set it to 9 buttons instead of 8 (Step 9). Next, assign the buttons to be like this: (Step 11)
Button 1 = nothing
Button 2 = Digital 0
Button 3 = Digital 1
Button 4 = Digital 2
Button 5 = Digital 3
Button 6 = Digital 4
Button 7 = Digital 5
Button 8 = Digital 11
Button 9 = Digital 10
(the nothing option is at the bottom of the button list)

Changing that made the triangle button work for me.

Hungry Horace
August 1st, 2006, 15:34
I take it wifi cards don't come with computers. Idk if i have a wifi card or not and i did everything but it says sceNetApct1Connect returns 80110601.

you'll notice the wifi light on the PSP doesnt flash though.... so even if you did have a wifi card, it should attempt to connect to something and fail, rather than returning this fault.

i hope this gets looked into, because the LUA based one i tried out was rather laggy, and i'm geting the same fault as you are on this one.

Squidman
August 1st, 2006, 22:44
To people having trouble with the triangle button not working in games:

When mapping the gamepad set it to 9 buttons instead of 8 (Step 9). Next, assign the buttons to be like this: (Step 11)
Button 1 = nothing
Button 2 = Digital 0
Button 3 = Digital 1
Button 4 = Digital 2
Button 5 = Digital 3
Button 6 = Digital 4
Button 7 = Digital 5
Button 8 = Digital 11
Button 9 = Digital 10
(the nothing option is at the bottom of the button list)

Changing that made the triangle button work for me.

Thanks for the info, but it just made, Windows not pick up the PSP.

Did u have to re-do the adding of the gamepad through the PPJoy program, or did u just modify it?

beefypotatoes
August 2nd, 2006, 06:10
After following the installation instructions and finding it didn't work, I just went into the PPJoy configuration tool, clicked mapping, and made those changes. Make sure the dos window is still up, it automatically closes when you make changes.

SPieR
August 3rd, 2006, 14:41
I cant get it to work with project 64 emu it only
works over my keyboard even if i configure the
input of the emu to ppjoy virtual joystick. I can see
the button i press on my psp screen but on my pc
nothing happens can someone please help me
getting this to work?

Thanx
SPieR

Squidman
August 3rd, 2006, 16:05
Thanks for the help beefypotatoes, worked like a charm, now i'm ready to pwn some n00bs in the "Movie Servers" online

frugihoyi
August 5th, 2006, 21:35
hmmm - i get the previously mentioned "sceNetApctlCOnnect returns 80110601 " error. :(

is there anything i can change on the router to get it working? port forwardng etc ?

(the psp wifi light doesnt even flicker though ?)

help appriciated!Same problem here. Can someone help?