PDA

View Full Version : nesDS WIP - New Nes Emulator Build for the Nintendo DS

wraggster
July 30th, 2006, 10:36
We havent seen much of Loopy in ages but Emu_kidid has started to work on updating the Nes emulator for the Nintendo DS, heres whats new in this release:

A nesDS WIP build release..

Whatsnew:
- Added Save State save/load
- Added SRAM save/load
- SCSD write support
- CF cards and various other cards added but not tested

The following things are being worked on:
- Fix games like double dragon 2
- Finalize the move to the new FAT drivers
- Zip support

Note: I am not responsible for any corruption of data on your media, please be cautious when using this as it is not in it's completed stage.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Draldas
July 30th, 2006, 12:22
No way on M3 Sd...

battleroyalex
July 30th, 2006, 15:48
I hope the saving will work on my supercard lite, ill test this out later

Junixx
July 30th, 2006, 15:50
Nice, saving states works for me :) although the gfx tend to get messed up untill you enter somewhere or get into a battle ect, i was using Final Fantasy 1 and 3

metroplex2k7
July 30th, 2006, 17:00
If anyone knows hoe to drop a line to emu kid, could you ask him to try to make it Max Media Player (not Dock) Player, compatible? That would be so awesome!

lexluthor
July 30th, 2006, 18:03
Does anyone know if I should choose to use this over the built in NES emulator on the Supercard SD?

bobdowl
July 30th, 2006, 18:15
No way on M3 Sd...
As always...

JKKDARK
July 30th, 2006, 20:14
Great release.

SuperPalha
July 31st, 2006, 00:12
Works fine in M3 CF =]

The Hombrew Hunter
July 31st, 2006, 00:28
YES! YES YES YEEEESSS! GO CF! GO CF! GOOOO CCCFFF!! That's what I have!

battleroyalex
July 31st, 2006, 05:22
I run the make_nds.bat and it doesnt make a nds file..?

Knux896
August 2nd, 2006, 07:15
I run the make_nds.bat and it doesnt make a nds file..?
2 things to check:

1.Do you have NDStool.exe in the folder with it? If not then you will not get a .nds file.

and

2.Did you rename the file while saving in the NesDS.exe program? If you did it will only create a .gba file.

Hope this helps.

emu_kidid
August 3rd, 2006, 10:20
M3SD,M3CF,SCSD,SCCF,GBAMP are confirmed working, however there are issues on various SD cards. On the weekend I will update the libFAT drivers which should fix this for those users.

Ani-Monster
August 9th, 2006, 04:51
ok, so i just got my M3 CF today, got nds and doom ds working.

Ive ben playing with this, but when i load it on my m3 all it phails, just doesnt load anything.... screen of death.

So i must have done something wrong somewhere!... but where? hmm.

OK so i have ndstool.exe in the folder, and run the bat file, add my roms to the list? and hit save. I get a ~5 mb file. Ive tried adding just this to my CF card, and everything: everything in the zip, ndstool, and the roms... same error.

any of you know what ive done wrong?

ps. this is off-topic, but is there a GB/GBC emu in development or released?

Junixx
August 9th, 2006, 05:37
I don't have an M3 yet, but i think there are two ways of loading a DS file, the A button then theres the Start button, have you tried both?

Ani-Monster
August 9th, 2006, 08:23
i just did, again with just the .nds file and everything, both phailures.... when u press start or A the screen goes blank like it is when the ds is off.

UPDATE: got it working, had to set it up like GBAMP

bbrewer01
August 18th, 2006, 22:40
I got nesds to work with max media player and 4gb hdd by downloading nesds-WIP1. instructions.
first you need to find nesds-WIP1 you can google it which i did or find it your own way. unzip it after it's downloaded and be sure to download and put ndstool in the same folder. ndstool is what makes the .nds file which you will use. alright to start you click on the make_nds file and the app comes up. click on the open file button to select your .nes game lets take megaman for ex. once megaman is on the apps screen click save. (it should save in the nesds_WIP1 folder, it's easier that way.) the save as window will open and just save it as the default save nesds.ds and click save again. a few seconds later it should say done. click ok and then the ndstool will make you your .nds file called nesds.nds. next you can then rename it to megaman.nds and move it to your max media player. it should work perfectly. if it works, which it should! you can make a .nds with more than one rom. like i did i put all 6 megaman games in one .nds which gives me the option to load any 6 of them at any time without having to restart the ds. simply, when your at the choose file menu and all six megaman games which should show you the list before you save. note nesds wont run if the file size of .nds is bigger than 3mb. but you should be able to make compilations like mario bros 1,2, and 3 all the megaman and what ever you want. enjoy!

sonikku88
September 16th, 2006, 21:53
I got nesds to work with max media player and 4gb hdd by downloading nesds-WIP1. instructions.
first you need to find nesds-WIP1 you can google it which i did or find it your own way. unzip it after it's downloaded and be sure to download and put ndstool in the same folder. ndstool is what makes the .nds file which you will use. alright to start you click on the make_nds file and the app comes up. click on the open file button to select your .nes game lets take megaman for ex. once megaman is on the apps screen click save. (it should save in the nesds_WIP1 folder, it's easier that way.) the save as window will open and just save it as the default save nesds.ds and click save again. a few seconds later it should say done. click ok and then the ndstool will make you your .nds file called nesds.nds. next you can then rename it to megaman.nds and move it to your max media player. it should work perfectly. if it works, which it should! you can make a .nds with more than one rom. like i did i put all 6 megaman games in one .nds which gives me the option to load any 6 of them at any time without having to restart the ds. simply, when your at the choose file menu and all six megaman games which should show you the list before you save. note nesds wont run if the file size of .nds is bigger than 3mb. but you should be able to make compilations like mario bros 1,2, and 3 all the megaman and what ever you want. enjoy!

I have done exactly has you've said, putting one ROM into the NesDS program, and getting a .gba file and a .nds file, which is a bit bigger than the .gba file. I copied said .nds file to my MMD, in the Games folder. I ran it, the bottom screen went black and the top went white. After 16 seconds, NESDS appears in the top right corner of the bottom screen with a line right underneath it stretching from one side of the screen to the other. After a few seconds, No ROMS found appears on the right beneath the line.

I have tried putting my NES ROMs in the same folder as the .nds file, but there is no difference. I tried putting all my ROMs, which add up to just over 2MB, into the NESDS program, and running the .nds file on my MMD, but it does not start at all. The whole thing just freezes up.

So, to reittirate, NESDS is able to run if I just put one ROM into the NESDS program on the PC, but says No ROMs found when it starts up on my MMD.

SmaMan
September 17th, 2006, 23:30
Same thing happens to me, too. I even tried using Mega Man like you did in the example.

CurtDogg
October 24th, 2006, 06:22
Okay, I got it all downloaded on my Supercard SD, and it's working, but it won't let me use save states. Whenever I touch the option, nothing happens. Anyone know why this is?

Jackofdiamonds
October 30th, 2006, 23:47
Okay, I've tried just about everything and I still can't get the thing to run on MMD. I've tried including the rom both zip and .nes in with it as well as the .ds.gba, putting it in the root dir, using older versions of nesds, older versions of the MMD software, Ive tried megaman, super mario, and kirby games. using one rom at a time and using several at once. renaming it, not renaming it. And yet I still can't get the damn thing to show anything more then the dreaded "No ROMS Found" message. This thing just isn't 100% compatible with MMD. So if you can't get it to work, odds are your screwed till someone makes this more compatible.

SuperJMN
October 31st, 2006, 01:21
I'm using M3 Lite (Micro SD) and it is not able to load ROMs directly from the filesystem (FAT) on the Micro SD card.

However it works if you attach them to the .NDS file.

I would like to load the .nes files without having to attach them to a unique file...

I've tested the emulator GUI, too. I noticed that it has some stylus detection errors because it is impossible to press the menus (like the Display menu).

Have anybody sucessfully loaded ROMs with a M3 Lite? do you have problems with the graphical interface and the stylus??

Knux896
October 31st, 2006, 03:02
Okay, I've tried just about everything and I still can't get the thing to run on MMD. I've tried including the rom both zip and .nes in with it as well as the .ds.gba, putting it in the root dir, using older versions of nesds, older versions of the MMD software, Ive tried megaman, super mario, and kirby games. using one rom at a time and using several at once. renaming it, not renaming it. And yet I still can't get the damn thing to show anything more then the dreaded "No ROMS Found" message. This thing just isn't 100% compatible with MMD. So if you can't get it to work, odds are your screwed till someone makes this more compatible.
The WIP release doesn't work with the MMD. You have to use the old version to get it to work.

Jackofdiamonds
November 1st, 2006, 03:46
Like I said, I tried older versions including the last non-WIP version. No go.

fakestarboy
November 8th, 2006, 05:28
Have you also downloaded ndstool.exe and copied it to your nesDS folder? That will make a duplicate file of your rom list with the .nds extention. If you move that into your games folder on the mmd it should work fine. At least I've had no trouble with mine... Now my question is has anyone found a way to save (save states or otherwise) w/ nesds on mmd?

Knux896
November 8th, 2006, 11:59
Like I said, I tried older versions including the last non-WIP version. No go.
Ok, everything you should need to get NesDS working is posted on my website at:http://pic6.piczo.com/MMDStuff/?g=23964015&cr=6

There is also a test file of NES homebrew there so you can make sure that your card is compatible with NesDS.

I hope that helps.

Note:This guide is only for the official NesDS.

wingwong
November 17th, 2006, 20:13
Can't use on SC miniSD....:(

DistantJ
May 19th, 2007, 16:14
Is there a way of getting this to use "a-lerp" by default instead of flicker? Like via the INI file or anything? It's just that my M3 Simply won't let me save the settings and it's really irritating having to set it every time.

paoao
January 21st, 2008, 16:34
HELP! Whenever I turn on the save state, it gives me this message that it's not working. how do i save my progress?

DanTheManMS
January 21st, 2008, 20:19
Use the official version, which has DLDI support and makes this version out of date. You should be able to save SRAM and create savestates fine then.

paoao
January 22nd, 2008, 02:51
i downloaded the most recent version, patched it. but whenever i click on save settings, it still gives me the message that it's not working. what am i missing? thanks for lending a hand.

paoao
January 22nd, 2008, 02:53
by the way, I'm using an r4 with a 1g sandisk.

crookedmouth
January 22nd, 2008, 03:48
There is an edit button. :)

Use this version

DL
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~tew/nesDS/nesDS.nds

This .nds file needs to be patched with the correct dldi. In your case the r4.

Use the link in the other thread to download and install DLDIrc.

paoao
January 22nd, 2008, 05:15
Thanks. I patched it with the correct dldi, but it's still not saving. i played the game, turned on the SRAM, clicked save state, turned my ds off then loaded the save state. nothing was happening. what am i doing wrong here?

DanTheManMS
January 22nd, 2008, 07:07
The R4 should auto-patch with DLDI.

You're sure you're not confusing the Save SRAM option with the Save State option, right? Save SRAM is used for games that have built-in save: save in-game and then tap Save SRAM to update the *.sav file on your card. Save State is used to save your exact progress at that moment.

The touchscreen code is known to be bad in NES DS, so it could just be that it's not registering your touches correctly as you lift the pen off the touchscreen.

paoao
January 22nd, 2008, 07:21
Thanks for your help.. This is bumming me out!!! I click "save state", i turn the game on then tap "load save state", but nothing happens.:confused: i did all the appropriate patching and building.. i guess I'll have to play all the games in one sitting:(

tonybravo345
May 23rd, 2008, 16:08
Hey guys, I got a ttds/dstt a couple of days ago. I got some roms ready to go for the nes, snes, and gameboy. However, the dstt/ttds is not detecting the emulators I put in there (nnnesterJ). Do I need to add nesds in order for it to work? What kind of patches or other things do I need to do in order for it to work on my dstt?

DanTheManMS
May 24th, 2008, 04:44
Just copy nesDS.nds to your card and launch it from the TTDS. From there, select the *.nes game to play.

EDIT: Make sure you get the latest version of NES DS from Loopy's website rather than the one from this thread. The file attached in the first post will not work on your TTDS.

pman1902
January 24th, 2009, 12:53
hello all,

i got a ttds card with sandisk 4gb sdhc and nesDS.
my girlfriend has the same setup.

on my ds nesDS worked perfect but on my girlfriend it didn't.
it was not showing any files or directories at all.

i started thinking why?!
maybe i formatted my card with the panasonic sd formatting tool, and my girlfriends card in windows. i needed to test this theory.

so i backedup her card. did the panasonic sd format (standard settings).
placed all files back on and BBAAMMMM.
NESDS works right of the shelf.
no patching, no nds file converting no nothing....
just like it always worked when we still had a 2 gb non HC card :D

btw we got then 990 roms in the same folder

so, i just wanted to let you guys know this.

enjoy,
Pman