PDA

View Full Version : PS3 "too expensive", says Microsoft Japan bod

wraggster
July 31st, 2006, 14:21
In news so crushingly predictable, we should probably have written this story up randomly one quiet afternoon when there wasn't much else to do, Microsoft's Japanese Xbox 360 general manager Takahashi Sensui has lambasted (or at least 'had a grumble about') Sony's PS3, describing it as "too expensive" for a games machine.

Speaking to Japanese site Mainichi, Sensui stated that despite its high price, the PlayStation 3 would not offer a significantly better experience than the Xbox 360, "Gaming is the essential role of Xbox 360 and the experience is in no way inferior to any other console."

In other news, probably of minimal interest to anyone living outside Japan, Sensui also confirmed that no price drops for Microsoft's next-gen console are on the horizon and that, while there are no plans for an HD-DVD ready version of the machine, if the standalone player is a success, Microsoft would investigate all options.

BrooksyX
July 31st, 2006, 20:21
First off I dont know why microsoft wouldnt consider a price drop for the 360, because the greater the margin of price between the 2 systems the more people are going to buy the 360. Especially people who play the games that are made for both or even all 3 systems.

Also even though sony may be getting ahead of themselves here with the price they are putting on their console. I see the next generations of systems costing $750 - $1000. This wont be around untill about 2012, but we have to understand that the cost of everyting is going way up.

Accordion
July 31st, 2006, 21:07
microsoft japan isnt really in any position to put down other consoles the xbox brand is like some sort of leper alien rat beast from hell to the japanese...

motz
July 31st, 2006, 22:11
The PS3 is expensive but it has a lot of hardware packed into it, similar to the PSP, its not just designed for gaming. The fact that it includes a Blu-Ray player is also something to consider.

omniosiris
August 1st, 2006, 01:31
The PS3 will be expensive, but it does play blue-ray, and a stand alone blue ray player now is about $1000...which makes the PS3 a heck of a deal if u wanna get blue-ray movies

stotheamuel
August 1st, 2006, 05:34
microsoft japan isnt really in any position to put down other consoles the xbox brand is like some sort of leper alien rat beast from hell to the japanese...

i clicked the thread after reading the title to say the exact same thing haha:p

zeon x
August 1st, 2006, 11:58
The PS3 is expensive but it has a lot of hardware packed into it, similar to the PSP, its not just designed for gaming. The fact that it includes a Blu-Ray player is also something to consider.

I didnt really see playing UMD movies on the PSP as a bonus and neither did any1 else looking at the sales on UMD films. People buy a games machine to play games. Plus if Blue-ray does become the standard the chances are that in a couple of months better Blue-ray palyers will be on the market at a fraction of the price.