PDA

View Full Version : Test Drive 360 Euro price due to market conditions

wraggster
July 31st, 2006, 14:41
Speaking exclusively to GamesIndustry.biz, Atari has blamed local market conditions for the significant difference between US and European pricing of Test Drive Unlimited on Xbox 360.

"The price in the US reflects the local Xbox 360 market situation,", a spokesperson told GI.biz this morning.

Earlier this month the company revealed that the US version of TDU on Xbox 360 would retail for US$ 39.99, but subsequently admitted that the UK price was GBP 49.99 - although actual high street and e-commerce prices will likely fall between GBP 40 and GBP 50.

"Additionally the US has a significantly larger Xbox 360 installed base, with a much bigger Xbox Live Gold membership," the spokesperson added.

In other words, it's possible for Atari to release a 360 game in the US at a lower-than-usual price and still make a decent return - but it simply isn't the same for them over here.

"Innovation should be available to everyone, not a privilege for those can afford high price tags," Atari CEO Bruno Bonnell said when the company announced the US price point.

Test Drive Unlimited is due out on Xbox 360, PC, PS2 and PSP later this year.

KultiVator
August 1st, 2006, 08:48
"Innovation should be available to everyone, not a privilege for those can afford high price tags,"

Is it just me... or do this guys comments contradict the pricing policy he was announcing?

Maybe I'm taking the sound-bite out of context - but making innovation affordable to all seems at odds with the price hike us UK folks are looking at over our US cousins.

Not that I'm a big fan (even of the early Amiga incarnations) of the TestDrive series - it always seems like a really stodgey & dull experience compared to the real top of the line racing games.

At the end of the day, its up to you folks to vote with your wallets - as in this age of high-def gaming, the old barriers & excuses of UK PAL versions of games needing further development are all but gone. And distribution of software is easier and more mass-market now than its ever been.

KultiVator