PDA

View Full Version : 20 million PSPs shipped

wraggster
August 1st, 2006, 00:01
News via PSPFanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/07/31/20-million-psps-shipped/)

Fanboys love the numbers game, because nothing tells you the quality of a system like the profit margins of a multi-billion dollar corporation. Sony revealed that as of a week ago, 20 million PSPs have been shipped worldwide. Mind you, these are not representative of sell-through numbers, but it is impressive nonetheless. You can see that the PSP is far more successful in the American and European markets than in the Asian ones (Note: JPN includes shipments to the rest of Asia). Although the PSP has been successful, it appears that Sony's not meeting its own sales expectations: you may remember that Sony anticipated shipping 20 million PSPs in 2006 alone. In order to do that, it'll need to ship 15 million more by year's end. Will the Christmas season prove to be the injection of sales Sony's looking for?

emuking
August 1st, 2006, 00:45
sadly it does not compare to the number of ds and ds lites sold worlwide, PSP SUCKS COMMERCIALLY :D lol i stil like my 1.5 psps

BALL_SAC
August 1st, 2006, 02:03
Im surprised that PSP is not very popular in Japan. Nintendo has taken Japan by storm with their DS, and DS Light. Good systems, but I believe that PSP is much better. More homebrew options :)

Voltron
August 1st, 2006, 08:17
sadly it does not compare to the number of ds and ds lites sold worlwide

Sure the DS is selling more units now weekly due to the DS Lite. But I am pretty sure I read that the PSP has sold more overall units. Counting from the first day the PSP launched until present, the PSP has sold more.

I will look into this to find out the details. If anyone knows different and wants to counter this with facts, please post.

zeon x
August 1st, 2006, 09:33
If i were to buy a new unit it wouldnt be a PSP. The PSP is only great on fw 1.5 and they are getting very hard to find now.

SSaxdude
August 1st, 2006, 15:17
Yeah, the PSP is only worth it if you get a 1.5. I'm sure these new PSPs will have 2.6 or 2.7 with the TA-082 motherboard.

Voltron
August 1st, 2006, 17:32
If i were to buy a new unit it wouldnt be a PSP. The PSP is only great on fw 1.5 and they are getting very hard to find now.

You have to take an objective standpoint on this. A lot of people don't know about homebrew on 1.50 PSP's and are just seeking to get a PSP for, go figure, gaming. And sure, after launch, the PSP did not have many impressive commercial games...'

This has definitely changed now. Just last month the PSP saw Tekken: DR & Valkyrie Profile Lenneth. Now take a look at just a FEW of the games coming out in the next few months:

1.) Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins
2.) Bomberman
3.) Loco Roco
4.) Ace Combat X
5.) Lego Star Wars
6.) Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony
7.) LUmnes II
8.) Killzone: Liberation
9.) Metal Slug Anthology
10.) Tom Clancy's Ranbow Six Vegas

And that just scratches the surface. This fall and holiday season is going to be remarkable for the PSP. Any one of the titles I mentioned above make the PSP worth owning. Put together all of those titles and the many others I did not even mention and the PSP is finally taking portable gaming to the next level.

And did we forget, the PSOne EMU will be released soon. This will surely work on NEWER firmware and work with any new PSP.

I may sound like a fanboy but don't consider myself one since I had a DS and plan on getting a DS Lite. But how could any self respecting gamer NOT want a PSP at this point???

::EDIT::
p.s. Nintendo recently announced that they sold 10 million DS's to date in Japan. So I'm pretty sure I'm right that the PSP has outsold the DS overall. So far anyway.