PDA

View Full Version : GPS-360 to PSP!

A Fn NOOB
August 1st, 2006, 00:52
Inspired by 'Deniska', I decided to make a cable to interface a GPS reciever I had collecting dust for some time. Its the Pharos GPS-360 with Microsoft branding; packaged with Streets & Trips 2005. It uses the SIRF-II chip, and communicates with the PSP at the same voltage (2.5V), and (default) protocol (4800 8N1 TTL) as the PSP. These units can be found new and used for dirt cheap

From the research I have done, any GPS can be interfaced with the PSP. Some units however would require more hardware/software modifications than the SIRF-II based GPS recievers.

If anyone has any questions on the particulars of how to do this, I will happily post more details of the pinouts, and the version of deniska's GPS-Viewer that I compiled to work with 4800-baud GPS units. (By far the most common speed)

Pin 1 RXD
Pin 2 GND--------------------------{}-------> Pin 2 on PSP
Pin 3 TXD--------------------------{}-------> Pin 6 on PSP
Pin 4 GND--------------------------{}-------> Pin 2 on PSP
Pin 5 VCC<--(3.5-5.5VDC input<-
Pin 6 Unused |
|
Battery + ---------------------------|
Battery - ------------------------{}-------> Pin 1 on PSP

Never use wire colors. I think that some mfgrs switch up the
colors to f*** with people. For instance, my PSP remote
cable's wire colors do not correspond to the ones at lua.org,
or any other place Ive seen. Youve got to use an ohmmeter or
whip up a simple continuity tester with a battery and light
bulb, so that you can write down which color wire goes to
which pin.

Im just going to tell you how I powered the GPS, although
there are several ways to achieve the same result. (You could
power it from the PSP battery if you wanted to, but not from
the serial port as it only supplies 2.5V DC)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/A_Fn_NOOB/psp2.jpg

I used DB9 serial connectors (Like the ones on a joystick port
from an Atari 2600 or Commodore Vic 20/ 64) and connected all
the wires from the PSP to a female DB9. I then took my 4 wires
from the GPS and hooked in TXD and GND, GND to a male DB9. I
wired a Motorola Lithium battery from an old cell phone (2 yrs
old is OLD for a cell phone nowdays eh?) to feed VCC on GPS.
The negative from the battery can be hooked to your other
grounds (pins 2 & 4 @ GPS,to 2 on PSP). What I did, however,
is wire "-" from the battery to PIN 1 of the PSP. This
way,the GPS is only powered when the connector is plugged in
to the PSP and not powered all the time.
I suspect there may be a way to turn power on and off via
software but not sure yet. (By interrupting GND)
Another reason for the Moto battery is that it's very
thin,rechargeable,and has an embedded protection circuit on a
little PCB inside. (dont ever throw away any old electronics)
I couldve done a neater job with this cable but its sturdy.
If you dont want to cut up your USB cable for the GPS, do a
search on "Jornada" I think it is, its a PDA that uses the
same connector, I got one from a site called Gomadic, but that
was 2 yrs ago or so. Id like to find some of these PSP serial
connectors somewhere.

I soldered all the wires to the db9 connectors, and used a bunch of heat shrink tubing to keep the wires from shorting to each other. You could make a dedicated connector if you cut up a psp-remote cable and a "Jornada" connector.... but soldering the wires is the only way its going to hold up under any stress at all.

It seems like a lot of people have a phobia about using soldering irons. Just buy one and practice on some old electronics by desoldering components and soldering them back up. Theres plenty of material on the internet about how to solder.

And you dont have to solder anything on your PSP, or GPS, its just at the cables. [And no resistors]

Thats the piece going from the PSP-remote connector to a DB9. It has a shield, and I beefed up the white cable by putting heat shrink tubing over the wire and the molded plastic "shoulder". The shield has a clamp inside to keep the wire from pulling out.

I havent put a shield on the other wire going to the GPS & battery because Im am going to make a multipurpose connector in an Altoids tin so that I can interface the PSP with other serial devices, and also have the Motorola battery supply power to the PSP if needed.
Attached Imageshttp://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8418&stc=1&d=1154455689

tedou
August 1st, 2006, 01:32
wouah impresive

A Fn NOOB
August 1st, 2006, 01:58
Id post more & bigger pics, but it wont let me....Probably because Im a F*****g NOOB! :)

doverkiller
August 1st, 2006, 02:14
thisis coooool..
details please please!!!!!

mrplug
August 1st, 2006, 05:16
omg i just wired my gps-360 to my gba sp over the weekend, it was just 3 wires, Tx and ground for communication and Vcc used to power the gps. and uploaded a premade rom to my flash card and it worked. now if the PSP would have better homebrew id connect it too.

mrplug
August 1st, 2006, 06:02
i bought a gba link cable and drilled a hole in the case of the gps-360 and soldered the 3 wires to it, and it can be pluged into my gba sp, i also got a spare gba port i can wire to the psp, i got a battery and charger from a broken cell phone from 2 years ago, i'll attempt it when theres a mapping program out, the one on the gba shows your speed and your corrds, and you can upload a map to it.(which i havnt yet, i cant find a good high rez map to display), its kinda geekish, i showed some of my buddies, some freaked out, others were like wtf!

but yea its cool

deniska
August 1st, 2006, 06:09
Nice going, man!

m0dm0use
August 1st, 2006, 08:55
does this need soldering, also we need bigger pictures thanks nice work time for ebay :)

mr_nick666
August 1st, 2006, 13:36
Nice work! :D We're going to have working GPS Sat Nav before $ony have got off their (Firmware Upgrading) arses! ;)

A Fn NOOB
August 1st, 2006, 19:15
Thats the piece going from the PSP-remote connector to a DB9. It has a shield, and I beefed up the white cable by putting heat shrink tubing over the wire and the molded plastic "shoulder". The shield has a clamp inside to keep the wire from pulling out.

I havent put a shield on the other wire going to the GPS & battery because Im am going to make a multipurpose connector in an Altoids tin so that I can interface the PSP with other serial devices, and also have the Motorola battery supply power to the PSP if needed.

seesoe
August 1st, 2006, 20:20
great job man. there is a lot of people makeing gps things lately for the psp but i found this one to be the nicest

psp_PLAYER
August 1st, 2006, 20:37
A Fn NOOB - Where did you obtain Deniska's source for the Map viewer app and serial comm??? Is it available here or can you link or attach source??? I was already contemplating such mods myself and have also speculated about using the serial comm (232) to add a serial based touchscreen controller option or other addon input devices. Haven't shopped for touchscreen overlay yet as I was waiting to figure serial comm stuff better and tying it into an app for directional input. How much problem we inccur about recompiling our homebrew appz to include the serial interface and calibration for the touch interface is another factor holding up my daydream project at present. Anyways great mod and if you have suggests or source to play with or share greatly appreciated.... Thanks:cool:

A Fn NOOB
August 1st, 2006, 22:10
Here's the EBOOT

The program GPSVIEWER is set up for an 38400 GPS, I changed 1 line in to work with my GPS.

I think the best thing to do would be to update GPSVIEWER to include a prompt at the beginning to select bitrate.

4800bps is the norm for many GPS units, but 38400bps is what many newer units use. Also, a lot of Garmin handhelds use 9600bps.

Once Sony comes out with their GPS a lot of people are going to become interested in GPS who have not been interested/aware of all the potential uses. It wouldnt surprise me to see dedicated GPS forums on many of the message boards (PSP) that I read.

I have doubts about the quality of the GPS unit that Sony is going to release, only speculation though. Does anyone know what chipset it will have, or if it will have an external antenna?

psp_PLAYER
August 1st, 2006, 22:20
I agree that it will probably be overpriced and underfeatured and poorly engineered...... Let's hope they suprise us. I think they will eating enough irk and ire when PS3 goes on shelves tis fall and peeps wonder why the heck they spent 600 USD for a box that doesn't live up to the hype or pricetag.:rolleyes:

seesoe
August 1st, 2006, 22:25
when the gps comes out wouldn't sony make a new firmware for it?

i mean they will not make their gps program run under the games folder lol

also i wonder how they will hook it up to the psp
would it be the same way we are hooking it up to the gps's that are being made?

lewbacca
August 1st, 2006, 22:39
sony hooks it up using the usb port.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/methodshop/187344174/

and of course there will be a firmware update..
i think our custom gps devices will be compatible to much more stuff than sony's will ever be..

A Fn NOOB
August 2nd, 2006, 06:31
It looks like the receiver doesnt have an external antenna. (But I bet theyll sell you one for $59.95) :P

Seriously, the PSP's primary target audience has been "little johnny". Of course whatever they release will be watered down. Doing otherwise would be shooting themselves in the foot; When "little johnny's" dad will for out $500+ for a GPS Nav with color screen. He'd get pissed because johnny's GPS NAV can do all that too, plus play GTA & watch pr0n on an RSS feed while chatting with his pals on (Fill in your favorite messaging site here)

Sorry for the rant.

mr_nick666
August 2nd, 2006, 10:37
It looks like the receiver doesnt have an external antenna. (But I bet theyll sell you one for $59.95) :P

Seriously, the PSP's primary target audience has been "little johnny". Of course whatever they release will be watered down. Doing otherwise would be shooting themselves in the foot; When "little johnny's" dad will for out $500+ for a GPS Nav with color screen. He'd get pissed because johnny's GPS NAV can do all that too, plus play GTA & watch pr0n on an RSS feed while chatting with his pals on (Fill in your favorite messaging site here)

Sorry for the rant.

LOL! :D $ony think short term too often... :(

lewbacca
August 2nd, 2006, 10:52
i think it will only support maps of japan and usa... the rest of the world is not covered, because it was not successful in these countries.. -.-

A Fn NOOB
August 2nd, 2006, 13:41
LOL! :D $ony think short term too often... :(

Dont underestimate. Its big business. Be sure, they have their finger on the pulse of everything happening at all times. Its all about numbers and dollars... and busting the competition. I suspect that of the millions and millions of PSP-owners out there, a *relatively* small percentage of them get modified in any fashion. 'Lil johnny' likes stuff spoon fed to him like a good little consumer is supposed to.

I think it's brilliant.

md2
August 2nd, 2006, 16:28
so will this work if i do the cable like deniska did, ie: one cable, that transfers data AND provides the power..? would i need the same reisistor that he used..? are the voltages, etc. the same..? i was gonna hack the the 360's usb cable and my psp headphone extender...

tia

A Fn NOOB
August 2nd, 2006, 17:17
so will this work if i do the cable like deniska did, ie: one cable, that transfers data AND provides the power..? would i need the same reisistor that he used..? are the voltages, etc. the same..? i was gonna hack the the 360's usb cable and my psp headphone extender...

tia

:confused: Johnny? Is that you? You're just messing with me, right?

Maybe the moderator could merge my 2 or 3 posts in this thread so that people with ADD can see it altogether

mr_nick666
August 2nd, 2006, 17:56
Dont underestimate. Its big business. Be sure, they have their finger on the pulse of everything happening at all times. Its all about numbers and dollars... and busting the competition. I suspect that of the millions and millions of PSP-owners out there, a *relatively* small percentage of them get modified in any fashion. 'Lil johnny' likes stuff spoon fed to him like a good little consumer is supposed to.

I think it's brilliant.

I see your logic.. :rolleyes: Trouble is with $ony is that (I feel) if they listened to consumer opinion a bit more they could make even more money... :eek: (There have been some fantastic ideas in this community alone that Im sure "Lil Johnny" would love to spend his ill gotten gains on given the chance!) :)

md2
August 12th, 2006, 21:43
Inspired by 'Deniska'...

Im just going to tell you how I powered the GPS, although
there are several ways to achieve the same result. (You could
power it from the PSP battery if you wanted to, but not from
the serial port as it only supplies 2.5V DC)
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/A_Fn_NOOB/psp2.jpg

how would one do this..?

could you run the power cord from the gps > miniusb connector (which connects @ the top of the psp) to get the power...?

thanks for all the help.

razero.we
August 12th, 2006, 22:57
i want one of those!!!:D

md2
August 15th, 2006, 06:29
OK

so i guess what i need to do is use the mini-sub port to supply power (via another hack cable)..?

how exactly would i do this..? which wires would i need to connect..?

or am i completely off-base..?

thanks again, for all the assistance.

spidermonkey04
August 18th, 2006, 07:00
First, please don't flame as I am only trying to learn. I am no noob when it comes to electronics (or soldering) but I am with GPS.
I was wondering if it is possible to wire this up with usb connectors instead of using the DB9 ones. While I do have the DB9 connectors readily available, I would still like to use the gps-360 on my laptop with microsoft streets. I have all of the parts/tools described (including OLD cell battery) at my disposal, but am still confused. Could you please post some more info or pictures to help clarify things? Pinouts would also help immensely. I know you said not to go by wire colors but the gps unit's colors should be the same as mine, right? Any help would be very much appreciated. I cannot wait to show this off to my buddies who also own psp's.http://spidermonkey.mycoding.com/gpsstuff.jpg

jay87
August 18th, 2006, 07:28
nice work noob

spidermonkey04
August 18th, 2006, 07:44
P.S. - Just to clarify, I still plan on splicing the PSP serial controller cable but was just wondering if I could use USB connectors instead of the DB9. It shouldn't make a difference as long as I power it from an external battery, correct?

Knups
August 21st, 2006, 14:29
Just wanting to make sure I'm lookin at the correct models..... Also do you think the GlobalSat BR-355 would be easy to covert to the PSP? It has a PS/2 connection and USB connectivity.... I think I understand what they're saying. It also runs at 4800 baud so it should work with your recompile of that pimp mapviewer. Also it has the best setup for my car.... 20 channel, Powerful magnet on bottom, 5' cord, waterproof, 10 meter accuracy, and so forth.

BTW: this is my first post... hajimimashite doozoyuroshiku.... and all that jazz.

peace

A Fn NOOB
August 21st, 2006, 23:52
Yeah, it doesnt matter what type of connector you use.

Now be sure to cut your usb cable *upstream* of the PLL device embedded in the cable.

GPS *--------X-------PLL---------USB

X is where you want to cut.

I think it would be a huge gamble to mention wire-colors at all. If you dont have an ohmmeter, use a battery and flashlight bulb or whatever.

Do a google on "continuity"

The pinout for the GPS, I got from google.
The pinout for the PSP, I got from google.

Spider_Loc
August 22nd, 2006, 05:07
damn nice

Jean-Loup
January 5th, 2009, 18:29
Bonjour,

Like you I own a Pharos GPS-360, but I lost the GPS to USB cable, so I would like to buid a other one but I do not know the conection pins identification of this GPS module, I see your information on this forum but the ID of the pins you give seems to be different to mine because they are identified like this:

6 pins
from left to right:

J16 ---------------------- J6 l
Output J15 ---- l Internal
Unit Plug J14 ---- J1 l Unit Plug
4pins J13 ----------------------- J2 l 4 pins
J12 ---- J4 l
J11 -------- -------------- J3 l

I would like to sent a photo with this message but it is the first time I use this forum, so f you give me a email for sure I will know how to send it to you, trough the forum I do not know yet how to succeed.

Thanks a lot.
Jean-Louis HELLE