PDA

View Full Version : 'Nintendo could charge for online gaming' - Miyamoto

wraggster
May 7th, 2010, 16:00
Nintendo supremo, Shigeru Miyamoto has said that the Wii house needs to decide whether or not to introduce a paid subscription model for its online gaming service.

Online-compatible Wii and DS games are currently free to play using Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection service, but in an interview with Edge Miyamoto suggested this could change.

"... Probably the other thing that we are desperate to realise is the core [online] business structure," Nintendo's Entertainment Analysis and Development boss told Edge.

"Do we need to demand customers pay monthly fees to enjoy online activities? Or give an online subscription that is free of charge, but then offer something extra for people that pay, so that they get some extra value? With these core business strategies I think we are less active than we should be."

Despite this admission, the Mario daddy rejected the idea that Nintendo's not taking enough steps in the online space.

"To be honest, I think it's rather unfair whenever I hear such comments - that Nintendo isn't proactive when it comes to its online strategy," he said.

"The fact of the matter is that we always want all Wii consoles to be connected online, all the time, so Nintendo has never been less than proactive in that kind of endeavour.

"It is true, though, that Nintendo hasn't been very proactive in developing such online activities as an MMOG.

"But when it comes to our endeavours that try to take advantage of internet technology, where we can provide our customers with more fun and entertainment, then I think we can say we have been very, very proactive and well-received. And that attitude won't be changed at all in the future."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=245696?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

djdynamite123
May 7th, 2010, 17:40
extra for those that pay.

royvedas
May 7th, 2010, 19:11
yeah give them matchmaking, Mii outfits and other crap I don't care about. Just let me connect with my friends.