PDA

View Full Version : monitor question

Is'lan
August 1st, 2006, 10:21
I'm thinking about getting this 19" widescreen, WXGA 1440x900 LCD monitor, but I'm wondering if it might be overdoing it. I plan on using the monitor for gaming purposes, and I think the standard resolution would be strange for most games. Should I just go for a cheaper, non-widescreen monitor with the "normal" 1280x1024 display?

Cooe14
August 1st, 2006, 19:43
What are the monitors, and what are the prices?

Crimson_Lotus
August 1st, 2006, 20:06
well, the problem with LCD monitors is their response time. This is especially true in gaming. If the response time is too slow, you can recieve "ghosting" effects where in the frame you saw before the one you are currently on is intermingled together with your current image.

Response time is the amount of time a pixel in an LCD monitor takes to go from active (black) to inactive (white) and back to active (black) again.

It is measured is ms, so could you put a link to your computer screen?

20ms response times are pretty good but much lower is always better, some monitors claim 3ms response times even though they are tested on a gray-to-gray scale instead of the regular black-to-white. I would suggest, if you plan on spending a large sum of money on it, to go and see if you can see the monitor in use or get a warrenty to accompany it incase the ghosting is too bad.

Is'lan
August 2nd, 2006, 00:02
Here's the monitor:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1828823&CatId=170

But would the resolution be at all an issue? I don't think I can set it to 1280x1024 on this monitor, or if I can it wont look right.

Crimson_Lotus
August 2nd, 2006, 09:05
The big problem with that monitor is its native widescreen resolution.

You would be running it at 1440 x 900.

this is okay for games that support widescreen resolutions, but for games that don't. you will get a "fishbowl" or stretching effect that isn't too pleasing to the eye.

Another very big problem is your video card must also be able to render that big plus the additional stress on it from the larger res. If you DO run it in the 1280x1024 res. it will most likely look fuzzy or bad.

Most of the reviews say very good things about it though, it even include speakers which are said to be "not TOO good."

As far as gaming goes, yes, the resolution can be an issue. I would really suggest trying to get a return policy and "test" it out and see if it will fit your needs. Tiger Direct is VERY good on shipping also pretty much garunteed in at most 3 days.

With 5/5 stars it will most likey be a very good screen.:D

Crimson_Lotus
August 2nd, 2006, 09:12
Some reviews suggest it is good as such

"As it is, it is so much better than my old CRT or even our other 17'' LCD. Well worth the money. Go widescreen or don't go at all!"

"Great Monitor for this price!! Its real deal. If your Graphic card supports wide resolution then this is a perfect LCD. Supports 1440x900, 1280x768 nicely. Excellent for Games and Movies. 36 months warranty, No dead pixel and Excellent appearance."

"
I have been in the computer field for going on 20 years now. I've seen my share of monitors both CRT and LCD and never have I been so satisfied with a monitor until this one. "

you can't really argue with that..

Is'lan
August 2nd, 2006, 13:56
Some reviews suggest it is good as such

"As it is, it is so much better than my old CRT or even our other 17'' LCD. Well worth the money. Go widescreen or don't go at all!"

"Great Monitor for this price!! Its real deal. If your Graphic card supports wide resolution then this is a perfect LCD. Supports 1440x900, 1280x768 nicely. Excellent for Games and Movies. 36 months warranty, No dead pixel and Excellent appearance."

"
I have been in the computer field for going on 20 years now. I've seen my share of monitors both CRT and LCD and never have I been so satisfied with a monitor until this one. "

you can't really argue with that..

Yeah, I really can't. But I wonder how many use it for gaming. I have a multitude of different PC games, both old and new, and since this machine will pretty much exclusively be for gaming it would probably be silly to subject the games to being stretched out like that, especially after spending so much money on my other equipment.

Would I really be able to test it out and send it back?

Crimson_Lotus
August 3rd, 2006, 10:35
ask them. normally places like tiger direct have a good return policy