PDA

View Full Version : EA’s Online Pass is ‘too cheap’

wraggster
May 12th, 2010, 19:23
Michael Pachter expects DLC penalties from pre-owned to become the norm

All publishers will eventually adopt the model being pioneered by EA that sees those who either buy pre-owned versions of its games or pirate them punished by locking them away from key features.
That’s the belief of MCV readers' favourite Michael Pachter, who added that in his mind the $10 EA intends to charge pre-owned buyers to access the online features of titles such as FIFA 11 and Tiger Woods 11 is too cheap.
“I think it's brilliant and yes, I think it will become the norm at the major publishers,” he told IndustryGamers. “And I think that EA is charging too little.
“If the gamer is the original purchaser, the publisher gets paid when the user buys the game. If the gamer is a second-hand purchaser, the publisher currently does not get paid.
“With Online Pass, EA is ensuring that second-hand purchasers will pay something for the maintenance of the server network and for access to premium content, since they extend the costs of providing these services.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/38959/EAs-Online-Pass-is-too-cheap

JushinLiger
May 12th, 2010, 19:59
And THAT'S why I don't buy EA games.

NeoXCS
May 12th, 2010, 21:09
Yes, because people have no right to sell their own games to people that are theirs. And if you do then the buyer should have to pay more than $10 EXTRA just to get all the content. How money hungry can you get?

John Vattic
May 12th, 2010, 22:04
^how greedy can you get, well it's as greedy as any other entertainment industry.

i.e. you have a roomate in college who is watching a movie you can hear whilst studying, not only would it affect your studies, but the movie producers would like you to pay for just being near their media, not to mention the destructive mind control aspect of the media now.

"if it seems everyone has lost their minds, they probably have" "and shame on you for not joining them"

wilcofalco
May 13th, 2010, 07:19
i hate ea even more now hope medal of honor is a flop they must stop being so money hungry do they expect there games to still cost £40 two years down the line?

jamotto
May 13th, 2010, 09:21
Need a way to pay for the servers somehow.

mmochel
May 15th, 2010, 13:19
Pepple need to stand up against this sort of draconian behaviour.
As a comparrison what if a car manufacturer decided that if you want to drive your used car on the freeway you had to pay them $1,000 so that they made more money on the used car sale.
This is no different, you have legitimately purchased your product and they should not legally be able to charge you full price when you buy it new (publishers only make about $10 per game new).

jamotto
May 16th, 2010, 06:04
Pepple need to stand up against this sort of draconian behaviour.
As a comparrison what if a car manufacturer decided that if you want to drive your used car on the freeway you had to pay them $1,000 so that they made more money on the used car sale.

Close, but you need to add in that every time you use the radio the car manufacture must pay the radio stations, now it would be a good analogy.

mmochel
May 16th, 2010, 13:11
Close, but you need to add in that every time you use the radio the car manufacture must pay the radio stations, now it would be a good analogy.

???