PDA

View Full Version : CPS2 Emulator in the Works ?

wraggster
August 2nd, 2006, 16:41
Theres a lot of speculation that NJ the coder of Neogeo, Neogeo CD and CPS 1 emulators for the PSP is now working on a CPS 2 Emulator, more info as we get it.

fucht017
August 2nd, 2006, 17:03
Mr Neo is at it again.....Brilliant news...NJ for President:D

Apoklepz
August 2nd, 2006, 17:06
Yet, the guy never ceases to amaze me...Like the Darth once said...Impresive.

NSCXP2005
August 2nd, 2006, 17:06
NJ, would you consider combinding all the emulators into one?
It would be alot easier if they where.
what do you think?

rehbock
August 2nd, 2006, 17:32
would be awesome if there gonna be a cps2 emulator
marvel vs capcom i'm coming :D

TerryMathews
August 2nd, 2006, 17:33
NJ, would you consider combinding all the emulators into one?
It would be alot easier if they where.
what do you think?

Not likely. Especially for Neo-Geo games, the emulator code needs to be as small as possible considering the size of the allocatable memory (19MB).

I mean the program could dump one part out and load another when you switch between the different emu types, but you do the same thing when you drop back to the home menu.

hack.fool
August 2nd, 2006, 17:37
Do you mean a fusion of all the emulator..
I'm happy with 4 different emu too...
the news that he is working on a CPS2 emulator it's GREEAT.. I can't wait till first release...
NJ with yoyofr and Zx-81
are our psp hero..

XEvilBladesX
August 2nd, 2006, 17:38
Yes! I hope he is working on a CPS2 Emulator. This is one of the things Ive always wanted on my PSP, and im sure many others aswell.

pkmaximum
August 2nd, 2006, 17:44
Hmm this comes off a bit surprising to me, because the coder NJ him self actually said that "I have no desire to work on a CPS-2 emulator at the current time" ~NJ

Well iether way he never seems to not surprise me, after all he makes emulators so fast it makes my head spin =O

Vega
August 2nd, 2006, 17:49
Yea, same as PKMaximum. I thought NJ had no intention of starting to code a CPS2 Emu. Also, I heard that it would only be possible WITHOUT sound (not that it would matter greatly). Still, I have high hopes. CPS2 Would be freakin' awesome.

MANCHESTERUNITEDDAN
August 2nd, 2006, 18:17
This would be awesome.he is already a PSP Emulating god

aries2k4
August 2nd, 2006, 18:32
Hmm, hope its true. I would love it.
Like I said before, if it can be done, NJ is the man for the job

TrowaX
August 2nd, 2006, 18:37
OMG what great news i wish this is true. NJ keep up the good work everyone is rooting for you :D THANKS FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE DONE FOR US !!!!!

Briggzy11
August 2nd, 2006, 18:55
Yeh this is good news for the scene, pretty much soon EVERY emulator will be available, but if this person is so talented at coding, why has he not tried having a go at emulating a N64 or PSX yet?

Mr. Shizzy
August 2nd, 2006, 19:03
would be awesome if there gonna be a cps2 emulator
marvel vs capcom i'm coming :D

:D This makes me VERY HAPPY!!!!:D

parsifal968
August 2nd, 2006, 19:05
Bullshit eh? (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30699) :)

sroon
August 2nd, 2006, 19:38
I totaly believe them, they have made a lot of good emus!
I cant wait until it cums out!!:)

samthegreat68
August 2nd, 2006, 19:43
Yeh this is good news for the scene, pretty much soon EVERY emulator will be available, but if this person is so talented at coding, why has he not tried having a go at emulating a N64 or PSX yet?

his theme seems to be arcade machines.

but i dont think he's coding a CPS2 emu. he said so himself that it wouldnt work.

but theres always hope.

BL4Z3D247
August 2nd, 2006, 20:15
well just to clear some things up he said it would be tough/near impossible to do but he wasn't just gunna assume that so he started tinkerin with it and now it seems it might be slightly less impossible :D

pkmaximum
August 2nd, 2006, 20:28
Hmm seeming that we probaly won't get sound and shit though with this emulator I wish he would work on something more possible such as:

1. MAME

2. Multiplayer support for NEO GEO CD

3. Multiplayer support for NEO GEO

4. Multiplayer support for CPS-1

5. And if he does do MAME, multiplayer support for that :D

Zombo
August 2nd, 2006, 21:47
I agree he REALLY needs to make MAME.

ACID
August 2nd, 2006, 23:19
Im happy with all he has done great work NJ.

XEvilBladesX
August 3rd, 2006, 02:20
WAIT! Whats this...

http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/cps2.html

Thats NJs site btw

mungrin
August 3rd, 2006, 02:29
Someone Translate!

ACID
August 3rd, 2006, 02:32
Someone Translate!
Dont wory on what it says just look at the games he got to work already. NJ please release it already im dyeing.

pkmaximum
August 3rd, 2006, 02:40
Can't rush perfection, after all I hope to see Street Fighter Alpha 3 to run and definently more CPS-2 games, but like I said before he must finish his other emulators with multipplayer support, then do MAME =O

oninotsume
August 3rd, 2006, 02:42
Hey,

I don't have any time here to translate NJ's CPS2 page, but basically he has this to say.

1. I didn't want to work on CPS2 emulation, but in the process of tooling with the C68K to increase the speed of the CPS1 I happened to get it to work.

2. I haven't decided if I'm going to release it yet, and if I don't, don't hate me.

3. The main problem is lack of ram, especially VRAM.

4. Right now I have most games moving at 60fps, but none have sound, and by adjusting parameters not yet implemented the frame skip may drop.

XEvilBladesX
August 3rd, 2006, 02:47
I think "onionotsume" has a better explaination of everything said in the quote.

CAPCOM CPS2 Emulator (? )

There was no air which it makes it is, but.
CPS1 was made even a little quick, because you applied, when C68K was remodelled being the case that it moves.
Temporarily whether or not it just tried moving, it releases, still it is undecided.
It advances job, but throwing out midway, without grudging.

At the beginning, if it makes, the Musashi M68000 core of MAME (the bat it is slow enormously with PSP) with
Thinking of that it operates, it increased, but it was possible to operate with the process which remodels C68K
Because, rather than expecting, speed appeared much.
Actually when it tries trying, priority processing of sprite being simpler than CPS1
It is the big primary factor.

But, memory is not enough basically at all.
If there is no XOR table for the encoding cancellation of ROM, being still to be good, it does, but.
PSP has loaded the memory of 32MB, but 8MB in order to use with OS and the like of PSP, really
Only 24MB memory can be used. Because as for 4MB it is used in the territory of the program,
You can use substance 20MB as the data area for ROM of the game.
... If after 32MB, at least 24MB it is, to being easy.

Effective speed considerably is last. Once, 60fps it has come out, but function of not yet mounting is processed
When it becomes the way, perhaps it falls below 60fps.

The game which it tries moving temporarily. As for moving to in addition to you think that it is.
It does not mount the function below yet.
The function which modifies the priority of sprite in every scan line.(Completion)
Sound everything.
If (CPS1 large doing with the mounting being completed, being it does not change), it can start other than describing, also play is possible.

pkmaximum
August 3rd, 2006, 03:06
Even if their is no sound though why would he not want to release it... =S sounds pretty silly. I don't mind on how long it takes but there is no reason in the end why he can't release a binary at least for it.

XEvilBladesX
August 3rd, 2006, 03:32
I could care less if there is no sound, when I play CPS2 games I just hear my music lol

Zombo
August 3rd, 2006, 03:46
Now I remember Marvel Vs.Capcom!
Man I missed playing with Venom.

Pumped'Up
August 3rd, 2006, 05:17
There's no doubt that NJ's a perfectionist. And I'm so glad he is. His work is absolutely brilliant and flawless. Every time I startup CPS1, I can't believe my eyes, how amazing the emulator really is.

I also really hope NJ releases CPS-2 even if it doesn't support sound.

If NJ does open up for donations, or even charge for his CPS-2 emulator, I'll be first in line. :D

Baboon
August 3rd, 2006, 08:40
Yep, who gives a shite about sound? ...it would be a very small price to pay to be able to still play some of these top games!

Good luck NJ!! :)

QueadlunnRau
August 3rd, 2006, 13:28
WAIT! Whats this...

Thats NJs site btw

OMG ... I'm speechless ...

Baboon
August 3rd, 2006, 13:48

Me too... those screen shots look damn fine!

oninotsume
August 3rd, 2006, 14:19
Okay, so NJ has added some new comments to his CPS2 development page. I'm too tired from making my own games all day long to translate this in full, but I'll send you the gist. See if the resident translator won't do the rest;)

1. Implemented sound causing a bug that was not present in CPS1 emulation to appeared. BGM is okay, but voices tend to crackle. I've tried adjusting the volume etc, but to no avail. This doesn't look like it will be any easy bug to fix.

2. Implemented a cache function similar to the NGEPSP, but the results run far below playable speed. The reason is all that super smooth animation. The sprite cache is unable to keep up with each redraw.

3.ddtod is playable with sound at 22hz.

4. Old fighting games are also no good. They might be playable with the auto frame skip turned off.

5. Different games display different results. Like ddosm which slows down everytime a new monster is drawn, however, if I can adjust the cache for each game it should be playable.

6. Shooting games such as progear and gigawing should also be playable with cache optomization.

In conclusion:

- Fighting games will not be emulated at a playable speed. Even if the PSP had more memory, it lacks the sheer processing power to emulate these types of games.

- Puzzle, side scrolling action games, and shooters should all be relatively playable.

- With cache all games should be playable with sound. These of course must be the decrypted versions.

The screen is still kind of messed up

That's it in a nutshell. It looks like he's really trying to make it work, which kicks my ass like a mofo!

blackwolf
August 3rd, 2006, 14:20
this is a long time comming. I seen this comming from the day he release the very first neogeo mvs emu.

nj should take a page out of the GPX book and have the emu use the card to do al the cashing and running of the game. that should handle the memory problem

Baboon
August 3rd, 2006, 14:36
[QUOTE=oninotsume]

3.ddtod is playable with sound at 22hz.
QUOTE]

...that will do me nicely! :D

psiko_scweek
August 3rd, 2006, 15:27
i do believe that NJ is using the hardware to do all that he can do. The PSP is a great peice of hardware, but it does have its limitations. Im glad that NJ is trying to figure this out, and i have no doubt that he will get it running.

too bad i suck at all the Arcade games...

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 3rd, 2006, 18:05
Not likely. Especially for Neo-Geo games, the emulator code needs to be as small as possible considering the size of the allocatable memory (19MB).

I mean the program could dump one part out and load another when you switch between the different emu types, but you do the same thing when you drop back to the home menu.
Yeah and ??? he can do like he did with the neo geo mvs emu with the shrink tool so of course its possible.

Pumped'Up
August 4th, 2006, 00:40
wow...unbelievable...looks fantastic.

pkmaximum
August 4th, 2006, 04:33
I can't wait till this emulator is released hopefully we will see great games like Street fighter alpha 3 to run, that will be a punch in the stomach to SONY =P

ACID
August 4th, 2006, 06:13
Any clue when it might be released. And does this mean his done with the CPS1

psiko_scweek
August 4th, 2006, 06:20
AcidBurn05, no ETA on release, and i doubt he will give up on CPS1

XEvilBladesX
August 4th, 2006, 06:31
No he is not done with CPS1, because it is only in the beta2 stage. When I heard about this I rushed to his site to see if it were true and boom! There it was. Nice new screens aswell.

pkmaximum
August 4th, 2006, 06:38
I don't even understand though why he would have to wrestel with the decision to release such a great emulator =P

samthegreat68
August 4th, 2006, 07:16
i guess im eating my words now, i didnt think that it would work on the psp. hopefully he realeases it then.

subcomander
August 4th, 2006, 17:01
the test version is out!!!!!

Street Fighter Alpha 3 works pretty good

Apoklepz
August 4th, 2006, 17:03
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! I can't test it!!!! Dammit...Great work though NJ, as always.

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 17:05
Info: Marvel vs Capcom does not work.... T_T....

subcomander
August 4th, 2006, 17:17
it even says to not even bother playing marvel vs. capcom it wont work

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 17:20
Where does it say that? I dont read japanese

subcomander
August 4th, 2006, 17:24
when u try loading it up on the psp

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 17:26
I know that, i tried an hour ago, lol, i thought there was a compat list somewhere

subcomander
August 4th, 2006, 17:30
X-men: childeran of the atom works

Apoklepz
August 4th, 2006, 17:42
Did you guys try converting the Marvel Vs. Capcom rom with the provided converter to se if it works?

subcomander
August 4th, 2006, 17:51
yes. and when i try loading it up its says dont even bother and it wont work

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 18:08
Did you guys try converting the Marvel Vs. Capcom rom with the provided converter to se if it works?

That was the only game I was rly looking forward to...At least Enhergiz should be playable soon, if there is a Zinc emu

subcomander
August 4th, 2006, 18:26
hey its pretty good for a test version

Apoklepz
August 4th, 2006, 19:02
Yeah, maybe NJ will make it possible to run in the next version.

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 20:19
Info: Marvel vs Capcom does not work.... T_T....

For most games that do not work, use the version that works in MAME 1.0+

For Marvel vs Capcom use both the mvsc.zip (European Version) and the mvscu.zip (US Version)

Zombo
August 4th, 2006, 22:31
Combined with Neo-Geo and CPS2 this would make a good PSP version of Kawaks.

Edit:Marvel Vs.Capcom is indeed playable,just have the mvscu.zip then cache it.On a personal note,Marvel Vs Capcom has become my favorite fighting game so far.