PDA

View Full Version : Sony America VP: 'I want content on disc not DLC'

wraggster
May 21st, 2010, 20:48
Although we're seeing an increasing focus on DLC and digital distribution, SCEA's vice president Rob Dyer wants the industry to maintain focus on retail releases.

Dyer believes that disc releases are the only way of ensuring that new content can be used by 100 percent of the targeted audience.

"You can talk about why DLC is important to help limit the used game business and to keep people holding onto [the game]," Dyer told Gamasutra.

"I'm all about that, too. I love that. But I want it on the disc so that 100 percent out there that can play this thing."

"What are we, north of 70 percent on the network now? 73, I think. Microsoft probably the same," he continued.

"[That's] still a significant number of people that aren't able to get, whether they don't have broadband, whether they just flat out can't get on the network. Whether or not you do it, they're not using it. I want it on the disc, that way when they buy it, they get it. So, if I can do that, that's great."

In contrast, full games like the FPS Blacklight: Tango Down and Lara Croft: Guardian of Light will be entirely digital releases.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=247703?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS