PDA

View Full Version : StepMania

XEvilBladesX
August 2nd, 2006, 18:04
StepMania is an advanced rhythm/music engine which allows you to simulate many music and rhythm games for example:
Dance Dance Revolution
BeatMania
Para Para Paradise
Pump It Up
Pop n' Music
And some others I believe.

StepMania is mainly known for its simulation of Dance Dance Revolution and has many communities dedicated towards it, a main one being: www.bemanistyle.com
And also has the ability to be fully customized to your liking.

[If some one decides to port this, I can resize all the images in the default theme to fit the psp.]

For more information on StepMania visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StepMania

Official StepMania website:
http://www.stepmania.com

csd-san
August 2nd, 2006, 19:04
This has been done already, actually. Try searching for 'PSPrevolution' :)

Edit: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28210&

acn010
August 2nd, 2006, 19:21
ha ha ha, yes.
its already ported

XEvilBladesX
August 3rd, 2006, 01:05
Hahaha no it hasn't... PSP Rev is not a port of StepMania, it is homebrew that can read .sm and .dwi files very poorly. If you haven't read my post, StepMania plays much more than DDR, it plays many other rythm games aswell, and is more of a game engine than anything eles. PSP Rev can't handle bpm changes, me as a keyboard sim-file maker use many bpm changes to keep the song on beat. A real port would be much better.

psiko_scweek
August 3rd, 2006, 06:51
hmm...the n XEveilBladesX get working on it! I thinki PSPRev is an awesome homebrew game. But if you dont think so, go ahead up the ante.

XEvilBladesX
August 5th, 2006, 07:57
hmm...the n XEveilBladesX get working on it! I thinki PSPRev is an awesome homebrew game. But if you dont think so, go ahead up the ante.
Don't get me wrong, PSP Rev is good, but it sucks at reading files mainly bpms and gaps. The type of stepfiles I play can't be off beat not even by half a second. I whis I could port StepMania so I wouldn't have to ask for it, but my fields of experince are PhotoShop and Stepfiles. If any of you have StepMania you can see just how powerfull it is, and how much you can do with it. Anyways I need a C Mod in PSP Rev to play, x2 is just to damn slow to read for me.

under_0ath777
August 5th, 2006, 09:52
Don't get me wrong, PSP Rev is good, but it sucks at reading files mainly bpms and gaps. The type of stepfiles I play can't be off beat not even by half a second. I whis I could port StepMania so I wouldn't have to ask for it, but my fields of experince are PhotoShop and Stepfiles. If any of you have StepMania you can see just how powerfull it is, and how much you can do with it. Anyways I need a C Mod in PSP Rev to play, x2 is just to damn slow to read for me.

it indeed sucks, and is really WEAK on compatibility!
I CAN'T PLAY DREAM A DREAM - captain jack :mad: :mad:

XEvilBladesX
August 6th, 2006, 18:58
it indeed sucks, and is really WEAK on compatibility!
I CAN'T PLAY DREAM A DREAM - captain jack :mad: :mad:
Trust me I know, it also lacks the ability of reading mines which is in "*.sm" format, and the "judge" of the calls of arrows some times messes up and gives you bullsh*t calls. If the creators of PSP Rev really want to get known, they should port this and stop with PSP Rev.

jak66
August 7th, 2006, 18:56
Trust me I know, it also lacks the ability of reading mines which is in "*.sm" format, and the "judge" of the calls of arrows some times messes up and gives you bullsh*t calls. If the creators of PSP Rev really want to get known, they should port this and stop with PSP Rev.

-.-, they probably are trying to do a full port of stepmania, or will do eventually, but with 2 people (possibly more) working on it, it won't happen any time soon, if someone could port stepmania, they probably would have by now

yaustar
August 7th, 2006, 21:44
Have you seen how big Stepmania's Code base actually is? The source alone is 16.5 mb!

XEvilBladesX
August 8th, 2006, 21:55
Have you seen how big Stepmania's Code base actually is? The source alone is 16.5 mb!
I do not mean StepMania 4, StepMania 4 is very very unstable and is huge as you pointed out. An earlier version of StepMania would be much better. For example "StepMania 3.0 Final" since that is the one that has support for may game types.

Edit: Damn its smaller than I though, after installing StepMania 3.0 Final, it is only 6.51Mb, thats smaller than PSP Rev and it can also do more, and StepMania 4 is 20 Mb after being installed, I think I proved my point.

yaustar
August 9th, 2006, 00:22
That is STILL ~10mb of source code to shift through. To put that in perspective that is the same as ~10mb of text to look at and figure out what can be kept the same and what needs to be modified for the PSP port. The size of the executable is irrelevant.

Edit: Comparing a PSP executable and a Win32 is extremely unfair considering that the PSP executable may have libraries statically linked to it for it to run. In short, you are comparing apples and oranges.

XEvilBladesX
August 11th, 2006, 03:45
That is STILL ~10mb of source code to shift through. To put that in perspective that is the same as ~10mb of text to look at and figure out what can be kept the same and what needs to be modified for the PSP port. The size of the executable is irrelevant.

Your still looking at the wrong sourse code 3.9 is 10MB of code 3.0 Final is 5MB. Anyways forget about that 3.0 Final has many flaws I did not notice before.

PS-3.0 Final Source code is not longer avalible, only 3.9 & 4.0

Unlimitedv2
August 22nd, 2006, 01:51

stfu, this it what this forum was for.