PDA

View Full Version : Sony Issue Cease and Desist Order For Devhook

wraggster
August 2nd, 2006, 19:19
The Japanese Site which hosts the Devhook application have been slapped with a Cease and Desist Order over the Devhook app which lets users use different firmware on their PSP, (This site only EVER linked to the UMD versions of Devhook unlike other sites that linked to the ISO Version).

Heres what Ookm posted on his site (http://0okm.blogspot.com/2006/08/ony-stop-pspsoftwareddojp-release.html):

Reboot_1.50.bin is the copyrighted material by SONY, that is mixed with DevHook0.43fix.
Warning from SCE to those who up-load DevHook0.43fix comes.
Moreover, please annul it at once when downloaded 0.43fix is preserved at hand, and it uses it.
Not seeing this knows and there is a possibility to use, too.
Please inform me of this when there is an owner in surroundings.
Moreover, the main body of DevHook and the relation file of all versions were deleted from this site.
As a result, opening DevHook on this site to the public is completely stopped

Does this mean Sony are to go after all sites hosting the ISO version of Devhook, well i can see it happening, im also concerned about the UMD version, it is legal because it doesnt run ISOs but we will have to see.

What is apparent is that some members of the Homebrew Scene by posting the ISO version have helped Sony strike a blow at thier own sites, all for a few extra hits.

Got a Comment, then lets have discussion on this

Digg It (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Issue_Cease_and_Desist_Order_For_Devhook)

acn010
August 2nd, 2006, 19:25
oh god, thats big.
D:

juliusceasar
August 2nd, 2006, 19:26
Oh dear, perhaps a new version that doesn't use copyrighted material may surface.

sappo
August 2nd, 2006, 19:27
They only waited for this.

Devhook rulez Sony $uX.

motz
Maybe if DevHook didn't have a built in ISO loader, Sony wouldn't have been so strict on this. :(

JesusXP
:o Hey! I submitted this...:P

splodger15
August 2nd, 2006, 19:34
Maybe if DevHook didn't have a built in ISO loader, Sony wouldn't have been so strict on this. :(

do all devhooks have a built in iso loader

JesusXP
August 2nd, 2006, 19:35
I believe there are two versions, a legal, UMD version, and a hacked ISO version... correct me if I'm wrong..

however I've never used either

Uruz 6
August 2nd, 2006, 19:36
I think it's only a matter of time before sony moves against the umd version too;
I know that without the ISO loader it should be legal but still Devhook is a serious threat to their we'll-include-a-psx-emu-in-the-next-firmware-and-everyone will-upgrade plan.

jwilds73
August 2nd, 2006, 19:52
They can still make this program as long as they don't distributed Sony's copyrighted files with it. It's not illegal to write a program that performs this function (using it may not be) they just can't redistribute Sony's OS with it.

Datahax
August 2nd, 2006, 19:58
I don't think this is gona change much. Even if Devhook is given up on completely there'll always be some underground scene that will release firmware loaders and Sony will have a hard time stopping them.

jaydoo
August 2nd, 2006, 19:59
Why the distinction between ISO and UMD version? It says its about the Reboot_1.50.bin file.

jak66
August 2nd, 2006, 19:59
what does the reboot bin do?
@uruz: that plan would work if we couldn't decript the firmware dumps and that takes time to do

JesusXP
August 2nd, 2006, 20:04
they're just douchebags.. if sony allowed running of unsigned code, but managed to block the UMD emulation/iso loading, Everyone could be happy :/

Makaveli
August 2nd, 2006, 20:09
I believe there are two versions, a legal, UMD version, and a hacked ISO version... correct me if I'm wrong..

however I've never used either

Well actually the original devhook uses isos and it was hacked to only use UMDS. Lol that sound backwards. Anyways this sounds bad... very bad. I want my ps1 emu and devhook is the only way i can have it and still have homebrew. It seems that they are only complaining about one file though. If thats the case hopefully it isnt so important that if they delete it devhook doesnt work anymore. Also I have a question it is legal to decrypt a firmware isnt it?

Briggzy11
August 2nd, 2006, 20:12
Right to tell most people my opinion on the DEVHOOK...

...Booster will change his name and change the name of the DEVHOOK as well as the host website for his software. If this is also a problem with Sony, Booster can host his Devhook on them bittorent websites, there illegal but they cannot be stopped as they are P2P websites, just sharing the file is no worries.

SONY!!! I REALLY HATE THEM AT THE MOMENT...

...But they cannot stop Devhook getting produced, and if they take any more legal action they will P*** off many gamers causing some to maybe, just maybe stop buying Sony products.

To be honest if they keep ruining the PSP and the homebrew scene much longer I may be one of the gamers that refuses to use Sony much longer, Ill change the name of my PSP to something like BriggzySP and get rid of anything sony related on my PSP using X-Flash or something...

Accordion
August 2nd, 2006, 20:14
well its bad news....
but i think unless we get kernal access on 2.80 we will never gain access to the decryption methods, and never be able to emulate 2.80 anyway....

why am i blessed with this never ending optimism....?

rock_light
August 2nd, 2006, 20:15
they cant do anything. fight them and win. only because of the 1.5 firmware reboot file.

Ok if that were illegal then downloading ANY 1.5 dump or update would be as well.

So they aren't even trying using logic to scare ppl.

Anyone who has a psp has the right to free use of the file cuz they payed for it.

If 1.5 is illegal then they'd have a case. But it's not, if it were all 1.0 users with 1.5 updates would be criminals.

ExcruciationX
August 2nd, 2006, 20:23
Wait we can download the update, so it can't be illegal...

Briggzy11
August 2nd, 2006, 20:23
Sony are the criminals, I spent 200 pounds for my PSP to have to go by their rules, rules are there to be broken and they seem to forget that, there not the police, there not George W Bush, there not GOD!!! they are Sony, and they should be producing products for us to use, thats all, they should'nt be bothering the homebrew scene, its there fault for making the PSP so vunurable under there later firmwares (thats what they get for rushing the PSP production)!!!

Its Sony's fault we have all this so-called illegal software and its Sony's fault they have been very useless on multiple occasions to stop homebrew...

Bad Sony!!! BAD!!!

Physicist
August 2nd, 2006, 20:26
sorry for sounding like a complete noob. but what is an ISO? a game ripped to play off memory stick or something?

Sumo X
August 2nd, 2006, 20:28
First of all, there is no legal difference between the UMD-only version and the original version. Please stop acting all high and mighty and that if the UMD-only version was the only version, Sony wouldn't be doing this. Helllooooo?!?!?! Does anyone remember the GTA loader, which didn't allow kernal access in any way? They patched that up as soon as they could, proving that they're attacking ALL homebrew regardless of its function.

Secondly, this just sucks. There's not much more that can be said about this. Perhaps someone from a bit "shadier" country would be willing to host it and "develop" it. Then Sony would be powerless other than writing cease and desist letters that have no authority.

Briggzy11
A ISO is not supposed to be spoken about on this website however I can tell you it is a image that the PSP can read, this image holds all the data of a PSP game such as the graphics, music etc...

Also this is to Sumo X...

...I will host Devhook, big deal if sony send me threatening letters, I will laugh at them then frame them and put them on my bedroom wall with pride. They can't do nothing.

splodger15
**** sony there never gonna stop me using devhook

splodger15
August 2nd, 2006, 20:31
Sony has also requested pspsoftware.ddo.jp to notify them when Booster is online. (So they want to talk, ehhh?…) that is what it said over at www.psp-hacks.com

Anger
August 2nd, 2006, 20:34
are sony trying to destroy themselves? dont those morons realise for people like me devhook is the only option to be able to use the psp at its best and still be able to play the latest games? i understand if they go after the iso version of devhook BUT ITS NOT. THERE GOING AFTER THE GOD DAMN LEGAL VERSION because it uses 'sony copyrite code' (reboot.bin) if devhook gets stopped then ill have no choice but to either update (and lose the ability to play all my great homebrew - yeah like thats gonna happen) or use the illegal isos (becuase they can be hacked so they run on 1.5 firmware) there being so stupid about this but bearing in mind the ps3 price fiasco this doesnt actually surprise me in the least. i think its time to wave goodbye to sony. theyll realise when there profits go into negative margins that what they did is wrong but they wont be able to do anything about it. it may not destroy the company but it will do some damage. im not saying devhook is the best thing since sliced bread but its the ONLY alternative for those who use our right to NOT update and still want to play the latest games, which WE PAY FOR.

Briggzy11
Sony has also requested pspsoftware.ddo.jp to notify them when Booster is online. (So they want to talk, ehhh?…) that is what it said over at www.psp-hacks.com

haha yeh I bet sony want Booster to work with them on one of them high salaries, lets just hope Booster tells them to F*** off...

You really think booster will go online after this now lol he'll just change his name to boosty or something...SORTED

Accordion
why did sony have no security against unsigned code on 1.00 thats a huge mistake, i cant believe it was an accident

tophead420
August 2nd, 2006, 20:37
well this sucks man o well i dont use the iso version of devhook anyway becuz its not for me and i hope this means devhook is not dead that would be awful i h8 sony those money hungry bast***s lol

Pico
August 2nd, 2006, 20:37
it is legal because it doesnt run ISOs but we will have to see.

I dont see how thats true in any way, dev hoook is dev hook no matter what dogma people stick to it.

i h8 sony those money hungry bast***s lol

The psp's a proprity system, they are well within there rights to stop scum (hehe everyone's tarr'd with the same brush) running illegal software on it.

Physicist
August 2nd, 2006, 20:42
I see ok enough said about them then hehe.

When I bought my PSP I was thrilled at the capabilities of it. Along with everything else, the prospect of downloading fun-to-play demos and freeware games to keep me occupied in between the times when the commercial games need a rest. Bloody rubbish Sony they shouldn't have tried to stop us having homebrews.
What if Microsoft had said ur not allowed to have Mozilla? Or MSN instead of Windows Messenger?
What I wanted most of all was a PC that I could slip in my pocket. I'd have had it by now if the dingbats hadn't tried so hard to stop it.

Squidman
August 2nd, 2006, 20:49
This sucks that it's becoming illegal to host DevHook, but it's not stoping ppl from having it on their computers uploading it to LimeWire or uTorrent.

All this does is tempt me to go onto Sony's official forum and make an account named "DevHook" or "DeviceHook" wich ever.

BlackJack23
August 2nd, 2006, 20:55
This may well be the end for Devhook. Sony is a very influential company and if they really want to put a stop to devhook I'm afraid theres not we can do

hank splendid
August 2nd, 2006, 20:55
The irony of it all is that I'd stopped buying games for my PSP and just used it for homebrew until I discovered that Devhook would let me play titles that required 2.xx firmware....

Perhaps if Sony also bothered to get some quality titles released instead of the constant slew of sequels and re-hashes - I work in a games store, and every week the new release schedule for PSP is as tedious as obvious as the last - except Loco Roco of course!

splodger15
August 2nd, 2006, 20:58
sony will never be able stop devhook from being download torrents, limewire and all the others

Cooe14
August 2nd, 2006, 21:00
well its bad news....
but i think unless we get kernal access on 2.80 we will never gain access to the decryption methods, and never be able to emulate 2.80 anyway....

why am i blessed with this never ending optimism....?
2.80 has already been decrypted and dumped. DevHook just doesn't support it yet.

SweetFA
August 2nd, 2006, 21:02
I'd not have bought a PSP if it wasn't for homebrew.

Sony are missing the point.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 2nd, 2006, 21:03
devhook is da best, i really can't imagine a psp without Devhook. stupid sony!!!! if they did allow us to use homebrew there sales of psp might go up, but if they stopped homebrew they didn't(like now) there sales would go up!!!!!
Sony sucks really bad!!!!!

nofx_sk8
August 2nd, 2006, 21:05
well its bad news....

Someone managed to decrypt firmware 2.80.
And it uses the same encryption key as 2.70 did, but 2.80 can not yet be emulated without reboot.bin file for 2.80

csd-san
August 2nd, 2006, 21:06
The only thing this is the end for, is downloading Devhook off of a website. It'll continue to get around.

BL4Z3D247
August 2nd, 2006, 21:12
well if devhook stops $ONY can kiss my money goodbye cuz there are some good games comin out that now i might not buy(if they need 2.8 to play), i might just boycott psp games all together cuz i'm NOT upgrading for anything, not for a game, the ps1 emu, any of the bullsh!t add-ons, nothing...if i have to use my psp for UMDs up to 2.71, homebrew and emus thats fine with me

*deep breath*
ok i'm done now lol, my first rant :D

tallica
August 2nd, 2006, 21:17
This is so stupid we bought are psp for an overpriced price and now we cant even do what we want with it! if we can legaly download the firmware updates what difference does it make if we use it in our homebrew emulators? booster will change his name, change the name of devhook and host on a torrent program like bitcomet or something were he cant be targeted directly because everyone shares the files on those p2p things. Sony are making a big mistake doing this because noone will upgrade now and use isos wich sony can never stop being downloaded.

Physicist
August 2nd, 2006, 21:18
tallica... we get the point lol u dont have to repeat yourself several times...

Accordion
August 2nd, 2006, 21:22
2.80 has already been decrypted and dumped. DevHook just doesn't support it yet.

hmmm
show me...

last i read it had been dumped, but couldnt be decrypted properly loads of corruptions...

show meeeeee

bandit
August 2nd, 2006, 21:23
They are aiming for Devhook because of a file uploaded onto the site. The site contained a copyrighted item (reboot.bin). It was violating rules thus Sony ordered a cease and desist order. If it wasnt for that one file (devhook 0.43fix), it wouldnt have happened. Devhook has been on the scene for a long time and now they go after them? Its not because of ISOs since the program is legal. Its the file that was hosted on the site for that one file.

If you noticed, none of the actual files BOOSTER released contained any firmware files. We had to do it ourselves.

Accordion
August 2nd, 2006, 21:25
well said....although the first firmware emulator release contained everything...oops

the one and only
August 2nd, 2006, 21:30
yep, sony are scared that 2.8 will be cracked by booster, as they want to spend more time readying 3.0 instead of making security for it, getting rid of booster basically eliminates all of sonys problems,

:( i hope booster doesnt stop, but what he decides is perfectly fine ;) im happy with my 2.71 devhook psp :D

aries2k4
August 2nd, 2006, 21:42
hmmm
show me...

last i read it had been dumped, but couldnt be decrypted properly loads of corruptions...

show meeeeee

That´s correct. Also no reboot.bin was dumped. The file that´s causing all the commotion.

Lol, I say screw you Sony, I´m with Booster and the Resistance. We´ll fight to the end.:p

Sommerlost
August 2nd, 2006, 21:47
If we either wanted to be *******s or preserve this way of life, everyone should go ahead, do their part and make sure these files make their way through the P2P circuit as quick as we can.

It won't stop anything, might even egg it on, but the quicker this suff floods P2P the stronger they'll get the message.

kayhanbakid
August 2nd, 2006, 21:56
F*** $ONY!!

At worst we'll have to rip the firmware files from the update ourselves. Someone always releases clear intructions to do so.

SONY will never win.

mr_nick666
August 2nd, 2006, 22:03
well if devhook stops $ONY can kiss my money goodbye cuz there are some good games comin out that now i might not buy(if they need 2.8 to play), i might just boycott psp games all together cuz i'm NOT upgrading for anything, not for a game, the ps1 emu, any of the bullsh!t add-ons, nothing...if i have to use my psp for UMDs up to 2.71, homebrew and emus thats fine with me

*deep breath*
ok i'm done now lol, my first rant :D

/\ /\ Im with you brother! ;) *******s... :mad:

fistikuffs
August 2nd, 2006, 22:04
Seriously guys sit tight and wait and see. The last two months have been devastating for Sony as far as homebrew goes and this is a pretty timid response on their behalf. They pick one site, one particular version of devhook and one particular file in that version. If you have a casual look around the net you can easily find way more illegal shit than that for the psp. So is this just the start or is this all sony can come up with? Wait and see:eek:

mr_nick666
August 2nd, 2006, 22:06
Ive calmed a bit now... Maybe they can still produce Devhook but you'll have to rip your own components to make it work...? :confused: (a bit like needing the neogeo bios - the emulator comes without it so its legal) :(

Illegal Machine
August 2nd, 2006, 22:07
Seriously guys sit tight and wait and see. The last two months have been devastating for Sony as far as homebrew goes and this is a pretty timid response on their behalf. They pick one site, one particular version of devhook and one particular file in that version. If you have a casual look around the net you can easily find way more illegal shit than that for the psp. So is this just the start or is this all sony can come up with? Wait and see:eek:

good point, however...

I wanted that 2.8 emulation sooner than later

Zombo
August 2nd, 2006, 22:07
Wow,Ironic how I said Devhook will help me use the PSone emulator only to have it run into legal problems.

mavsman4457
August 2nd, 2006, 22:16
I don't see why Sony doesn't just make their own programs. Heck they could even charge money for them and they probably would. Then people will be more willing to update. This way Sony can just copy whatever homebrew they want and get us on their side.

fistikuffs
August 2nd, 2006, 22:20
good point, however...

I wanted that 2.8 emulation sooner than later

Hang tight mate it WILL come. This is not the end for Devhook:D

Screwie5150
August 2nd, 2006, 22:23
Sony is just mad b/c they are not getting any profits from the misshap they leaked... it's not our fault!!! It's sony's bad for hireing a HaCKer on the inside... so they try this cease and desist order to stop... SONY IS JUST BUTT SORE FROM THE GOOD F*#K*N... I laugh in Sonys' FACE... HaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!

YourStillWithMe
August 2nd, 2006, 22:26
Devhook owns all and i seriously think that if sony wasnt being retarded about this whole scenario we ALL would buy more games, i know I would. So what if some people pirate? that will always exist they need to look at the positive side of this SOME people will definitely buy games. I just bought tekken and miami vice and look forward to purchasing GTA VCS if it doesnt require a 2.80 upgrade. (as of now it scares me.) there is no doubt that that game will have 2.80 because it is a game they know usders will buy and force some to upgrade. Booster-Good luck to you my friend, you have done so much for all of us! Much obliged! I'm not upgrading Sony and most of the 1.50 community will not (if they have half a brain.) All i really hope is that i can get the psone emulator emulated without having to actually upgrade and then im going to probably ditch the scene because its too aggrivating and stressful. . . .

BL4Z3D247
August 2nd, 2006, 22:29
i think $ony's just pissed about the UMD tool that was leaked, who's fault is that? not ours, its your own damn fault $ony, u heard me, with your big cosy offices and rolly chairs that massage your back, stop pickin on us, its not our fault u guys suck at ur jobs and make stupid decisions which led to homebrew and exploits, in a way u($ony) started homebrew on the psp by lettin us run unsigned code in the first place, i mean how stupid do u have to be to think people won't try and hack the psp...dumb@$$es

eLAy12
August 2nd, 2006, 22:38
Sony needs to stop and recognize that Homebrew is PSP. Sony needs to embrace the homebrew scene. If they do, i would be happy to pay $1-$5 for legal Sony supported applications. The Homebrew scene and Sony need to merge so that we can unlike the FULL power of the PSP.

Illegal Machine
August 2nd, 2006, 22:43
I love it when people talk like sony will allow unsigned code to run legaly and authorized..

Heres an idea. Go to gamestop, and find one of those arcade emulator pack games for any platform, then notice that pricetag on it, then have your revealation about sales, and money.

then shut the hell up forever

Mr. Shizzy
August 2nd, 2006, 22:43
oh, I bet this is only the beginning. $hits about to hit the fan...

NoQuarter
August 2nd, 2006, 22:52
we all knew this day would come

notaforumtroll
August 2nd, 2006, 23:06
OK so sony shut down a site in japanese i i barely understood anyway, booster can just as easily release devhook via irc/ftp/ and a ton of otherweb sites,
Sony can such a big fat *OC*

theres only one way to skin a cat, a but million tool to do it with.

F9zDark
August 2nd, 2006, 23:11
How much sooner until Sony starts cracking down on other sites? I gurantee that PSP-Hacks is next, since they host the DevHook Full install, which installs DevHook, 2.7 firmware and comes with 2.6 firmware.

People, you must also look at why Sony went against DevHook developers.

Reboot_1.50.bin is the copyrighted material by SONY, that is mixed with DevHook0.43fix.

A simple oversight of DevHook developers may have resulted in this. But Sony benefits regardless, now with Devhook stopped at the source, they can ensure that firmware 3.0 cannot be emulated.

Couldn't come a worse time...

F9zDark
August 2nd, 2006, 23:13
I love it when people talk like sony will allow unsigned code to run legaly and authorized..

Rather hard not to see it that way when Sony gave us homebrew on the PS2 and promised us homebrew on the PS3.

Why should PSP be any different?

yaustar
August 2nd, 2006, 23:18
Because they havent got round to it yet? How long was it between the launch of the PS2 and PS2 Linux? Or the PS1 and Yarouze?

Also you have to look at this from the business angle, how the heck do you convince all the stockholders that running unsigned code on the PSP where the main company (Sony) has no control over? I am sure that will go down well with the stockholders [/sarcasm]

Hungry Horace
August 2nd, 2006, 23:19
yawn. I'm bored. You're boring Zoidberg.

replace zoidberg with Sony, and you get my view of this.... so what? it'll change sod all.

ACID
August 2nd, 2006, 23:30
Well theres a entire mameframe and billions of web sites its not going to be stoped. Why doesnt sony drop there ridiculous prices for there upcoming PS3 games 75 to 85 usd thats just going to make coders work harder.

acn010
August 2nd, 2006, 23:32
i think $ony's just pissed about the UMD tool that was leaked, who's fault is that? not ours, its your own damn fault $ony, u heard me, with your big cosy offices and rolly chairs that massage your back, stop pickin on us, its not our fault u guys suck at ur jobs and make stupid decisions which led to homebrew and exploits, in a way u($ony) started homebrew on the psp by lettin us run unsigned code in the first place, i mean how stupid do u have to be to think people won't try and hack the psp...dumb@$$es
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol XD

ACID
August 2nd, 2006, 23:42
blazed247 i totaly agree. Sony just because you have rats in your company dont get mad at us. I know it also kills sony to know that our coders are better then theres. LOL sony is crying

BL4Z3D247
August 2nd, 2006, 23:43
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol XD
lol :D

@Acidburn
yeh our coders kick @$$ :D

tallica
August 2nd, 2006, 23:52
tallica... we get the point lol u dont have to repeat yourself several times...

lol sorry i dont know why my message was posted twice i edited the post as soon as i saw. i still dont know why it hapend

F9zDark
August 2nd, 2006, 23:56
I doubt this has anything to do with the leaked UMD tools. That may have substantiated their reasoning, but I doubt it was the main factor.

Aside from the ISO loading capability of DevHook, that is the one homebrew app that would make Sony money. Hell, once I got devhook working, I ran out and bought another copy of GTA:LCS to play multiplayer with my friends.

Now I am thinking of picking up a few other titles I have been eyeing for a while.

While I can't speak for everyone else, I can't imagine people would go through the trouble of getting devhook to work without having any intentions of buying new games.

LAMPRO
August 2nd, 2006, 23:58
wow. 75 posts. amazing. its been a couple of hours and full moded devhook etc, is stll on a bunch of other sites right now anyway. i thought this was a RUMOR but i found the link and saw for myself, DH is all over the place anyway at this point, im thinkin this is more like a homebrewer scare tactic. lol. typical. lol. does it really matter anyway? we all know how sony feels. so...
whats up?

SSaxdude
August 3rd, 2006, 00:07
I'm sorry to say this, but it also affects the "clean" homebrew sites. It seems $ony is pissed not that Dev Hook loads isos, but because it uses their copyrighted "material." I say screw them.
If this is true I'm going to march down to the $ony $tyle store at a mall about 15 min away from my house, and show off to the employees how much I love Dev Hook and isos.
Oh yeah, I agree, we should have a revolution.

LAMPRO
August 3rd, 2006, 00:10
I'm sorry to say this, but it also affects the "clean" homebrew sites. It seems $ony is pissed not that Dev Hook loads isos, but because it uses their copyrighted "material." I say screw them.
If this is true I'm going to march down to the $ony $tyle store at a mall about 15 min away from my house, and show off to the employees how much I love Dev Hook and isos.
Oh yeah, I agree, we should have a revolution.

read post 76 DH is all over the place already.

we gettin popular. and there are so many psp's.

BL4Z3D247
August 3rd, 2006, 00:15
I doubt this has anything to do with the leaked UMD tools. That may have substantiated their reasoning, but I doubt it was the main factor.

Aside from the ISO loading capability of DevHook, that is the one homebrew app that would make Sony money. Hell, once I got devhook working, I ran out and bought another copy of GTA:LCS to play multiplayer with my friends.

Now I am thinking of picking up a few other titles I have been eyeing for a while.

While I can't speak for everyone else, I can't imagine people would go through the trouble of getting devhook to work without having any intentions of buying new games.
i'm sure it had something to do with the leaked UMD tool, maybe its not the exact reason why $ony's tryin to end devhook but it has to have something to do with that, they're just mad that we don't have to update to play their newer games and we could still play homebrew and emus, and it definitely has to do with them not wanting devhook to emulate 3.0 cuz of $ony's ps1 emu, they just can't handle the fact that the homebrew scene has gotten this big not to mention successful

tophead420
August 3rd, 2006, 00:43

I dont see how thats true in any way, dev hoook is dev hook no matter what dogma people stick to it.

The psp's a proprity system, they are well within there rights to stop scum (hehe everyone's tarr'd with the same brush) running illegal software on it.

well im not scum and i dont run anything illegal on my psp i use the no iso version of devhook hich in my eyes is not illegal and sony is a bunch of money hungry basta**s becuz there finally taking action on bull becuz their sells have droped a bit but i say f*** um they wanna get all pissed becuz im into homebrew well i wont buy another piece of sh** umd as long as i own my psp their take that sony your sells just dropped again lmao

aries2k4
August 3rd, 2006, 00:57
@tophead420
Lol, stop to breathe bro, you´ll pass out like that.
I can understand how you feel. exactly how I feel

Briggzy11
August 3rd, 2006, 00:59
There is actually a way around this problem, When I downloaded the neogeo emulator, I needed a special Zip file with the Bios to run it right? Well if you can only get the reboot.bin file from a site like where I got neogeo.bios from (Just searching in gogle) Sony cant have a go at devhook because it wont come with devhook...

SINIStER
August 3rd, 2006, 01:02
The only reason I still buy new umd games is because of DevHook,because honestly those umd's are NOT worth all the great hbrew thats being let out.I guess i wont be buying umd games with higher fw then 2.71.I can care less for a PS1 emulator from sony.Long live the psp hbrew scene and screw sony.

BL4Z3D247
August 3rd, 2006, 01:07
There is actually a way around this problem, When I downloaded the neogeo emulator, I needed a special Zip file with the Bios to run it right? Well if you can only get the reboot.bin file from a site like where I got neogeo.bios from (Just searching in gogle) Sony cant have a go at devhook because it wont come with devhook...
yeh i think someone has mentioned that earlier in this thread, great idea though i say Booster should do that, it makes sense without the reboot.bin or whatever its called devhook is totally legit

@SIN
yeh i said the same exact thing :D, we can't let those b@st@rds win, HB4Life!!!!!

idapimp
August 3rd, 2006, 01:09
i hope sony rots in hell.

seesoe
August 3rd, 2006, 01:12
i wonder when booster's gonna sign on?

Hungry Horace
August 3rd, 2006, 01:24
i wonder when booster's gonna sign on?

to the dole queue or the $ony bankroll? :rolleyes:

IndianCheese
August 3rd, 2006, 01:42
I've got an idea: Make a new one called KoohVed and don't pack "reboot.bin" with it.

Copyrighted material? Oh yeah, 255 various symbols arranged in different orders that any human could type up themselves in a hex editor is copyrighted material.

The end may be nearing, sadly though. I wonder if he could post the order sent. That would be nice to read.

Voltron
August 3rd, 2006, 01:47
Listen, DevHook helps the PSP more than it hurts the PSP.

And I want to make it clear that the so called "legal" version of DevHook is the one that is "hacked".

DevHook was designed to run ISO's and CiSO's. A MOD was created that limits DevHooks FULL funtionality and allows for some UMD's to play.

DevHook is not going anywhere. It is one file that created this uproar. And that file is not even a part of DevHook. It is a part of a firmware.

This, like similar instances is only going to make it worse and more widespread for Sony. The best thing for Sony to do is allow homebrew to continue to be some sort of "dirty little secret". If controversy continues to spur, it will only draw more and more curious people to the PSP homebrew scene. And we all know that once you get into this scene, there is no leaving it.

So once again, the bigger picture is that this will only help PSP homebrew and continue to feed the fire.

seesoe
August 3rd, 2006, 02:12
Listen, DevHook helps the PSP more than it hurts the PSP.

And I want to make it clear that the so called "legal" version of DevHook is the one that is "hacked".

DevHook was designed to run ISO's and CiSO's. A MOD was created that limits DevHooks FULL funtionality and allows for some UMD's to play.

DevHook is not going anywhere. It is one file that created this uproar. And that file is not even a part of DevHook. It is a part of a firmware.

This, like similar instances is only going to make it worse and more widespread for Sony. The best thing for Sony to do is allow homebrew to continue to be some sort of "dirty little secret". If controversy continues to spur, it will only draw more and more curious people to the PSP homebrew scene. And we all know that once you get into this scene, there is no leaving it.

So once again, the bigger picture is that this will only help PSP homebrew and continue to feed the fire.nicely said

Lumir
August 3rd, 2006, 02:16
Simple answer to this... sony is trying to use a scare tactic to get most sites to take dev-hook down, if your smart you will realize that sony cant slap you with a case from anywere, if your site is hosted in africa sony cant do anything as they dont have rules/regulations regarding this software there.

The simple answer to this is torrents. even if they are in america it will give sony a hell of a time, and they will most likely find it to be not worth it to pursue.

seesoe
August 3rd, 2006, 02:26
that will be hard on sony, its not like they gonna try to shut all the torrents down just cuz of devhook.

just give this a few weeks it will be forgotten

bandit
August 3rd, 2006, 02:59
I dont know why everyone is panicking. Devhook is here to stay. If it wasnt for that one file (reboot.bin), there would be no problem AT ALL. If you noticed, ALL devhook releases are just that...devhook. BOOSTER requires us to get the firmware files ourselves. He NEVER includes them with his releases. Whoever uploaded that "devhook043fix" got BOOSTER and the website in trouble.

All BOOSTER and the admins of the website need to do is prevent idiots from uploading files that are either fakes or useless files.

Wally
August 3rd, 2006, 03:36
Nahh sony have been looking for something to do for a long while..

Come on guys, they havent won yet!

I agree with indian cheese, changing the name of the product should void any problems (Maybe devhook producers could say they make devhook opensource and make it comply with the GPL rules and regulations then maybe it could work out.

Under no exception sony has made it clear that reverse engineering is illegal and will void your warranty. In this case we are lucky not to be in trouble for using PSPSDK as it was captured from the real SDK but changed to be legal.

Then again it makes sony look bad and PSP sales will drop if games are not allowed to be played on certain firmwares.

RvLeshrac
August 3rd, 2006, 03:47
Well, I'm glad to see that a few others beat me to it.

Now, can we get all of the news sites to actually _read_ the submissions _before_ adding stupid commentary?

An application designed to mount ISOs is not illegal.
Decrypting the firmware is, again, not illegal.

Distributing copyrighted ISOs, however, is illegal.
Distributing decrypted copyrighted firmware dumps is, again, illegal.

Devhook has never been officially distributed with firmware dumps. The 'uploader' Sony refers to is not Booster, but whomever included their copyrighted software with Devhook.

If a random site distributes a copy of Alcohol with an MDS of Oblivion, Bethesda is fairly obviously not going to sue Alcohol Software.

I think that ties a ribbon around everything.

ACID
August 3rd, 2006, 04:59
RvLeshrac i totaly agree with you and all the coments so far. sony is persuing air in this matter

SnoopKatt
August 3rd, 2006, 05:38
If we're going to spend so much money on hardware, we should be able to do what we want with it. Sony is technically right since DevHook does contain some of their software (as much as we wish it didn't). But this sucks. But if the best turns out, maybe DevHook could legally continue if they get it to work without that file.

cartmandude14
August 3rd, 2006, 05:44
What happened to the customer is always right? Sony has a really crappy marketing plan going for them right now. I don't see nintendo trying to stop ds homebrew. I don't see microsoft or macintosh sueing over people developng they're own software. It's a shame that something like the iso loader made to help psp users protect theyre investments in games has caused so much illegal use. but as long as I can play vice city stories i won't care. And homebrew emulators are coming along great.. so LONG LIVE DEVHOOK!

RvLeshrac
August 3rd, 2006, 05:46
Personally, I'm waiting for wraggster to post a retraction of some of his ridiculous comments in the post.

ayhoung
August 3rd, 2006, 06:12
i was wondering if you guys ever saw it from a sony perspective. The fact that if they did ever issue an unsigned code without umd emulation would probably impossible. It would just make it easier for hackers to find a way to exploit it. Of course, i was sad to hear devhook was being cancelled, but i guess you guys have to realize that the "umd-only" to "iso" devhook ratio is like 1-20, and sony prolly wudnt give a crap if all of the devhook ppl stopped supporting sony, since theyre all pirates naywas. just my two cents

jwilds73
August 3rd, 2006, 06:33
Companies have issued cease and desist orders before where they have no legal right to do so check out http://www.prehensile.com/tales/meatloom/fruitlove.htm for a story of a parody site and Fruit of the Loom's illegal harrasment of the site owner's. I am not sayign weather what Sony is doing is legal or not but big companies will try and bully smaller people illegally because they have the money to do so.

stotheamuel
August 3rd, 2006, 06:45
Devhook is a serious threat to their we'll-include-a-psx-emu-in-the-next-firmware-and-everyone will-upgrade plan.

i love long hyphinated words

you are now my hero

NoQuarter
August 3rd, 2006, 07:17
Yeah, this is all a premptive strike againgst homebrew users having access to their ps1 emulator.They can't charge money to play these old ps1 games if we can run our own.

Kramer
August 3rd, 2006, 08:02
I cant wait till a homebrew psone emulator comes out because sony deserve to be shat on.

Voltron
August 3rd, 2006, 08:16
Yeah, this is all a premptive strike againgst homebrew users having access to their ps1 emulator.They can't charge money to play these old ps1 games if we can run our own.

Well this raises another point that should be made. I and many MANY other PSP owners have a 1.50 PSP. And I WON'T be upgrading under any circumstances.

So that is much lost revenue from people that may otherwise use a PSOne EMU.

But then theres DevHook. If the MANY 1.50 firmware owners could use the PSOne EMU via DevHook emulation then Sony wins.

Yet another example of my theory that homebrew helps Sony more than damages them.

I will gladly buy PSOne games if they can be perfectly emulated on the PSP. And I think most every 1.50 user thinks the same.

BL4Z3D247
August 3rd, 2006, 08:34
Well this raises another point that should be made. I and many MANY other PSP owners have a 1.50 PSP. And I WON'T be upgrading under any circumstances.

But then theres DevHook. If the MANY 1.50 firmware owners could use the PSOne EMU via DevHook emulation then Sony wins.

Yet another example of my theory that homebrew helps Sony more than damages them.

I will gladly buy PSOne games if they can be perfectly emulated on the PSP. And I think most every 1.50 user thinks the same.
yup :D

mr_nick666
August 3rd, 2006, 08:43

Im an orignial 1.5er and I couldnt agree more.. :mad: $ony just cant see the big picture... (money grabbing c*nts) :(

splodger15
August 3rd, 2006, 08:48
what would really piss sony off is we all worked together and decrypted 2.8 and devhook 46 supports flash install so we could install it that way

Video_freak
August 3rd, 2006, 09:22
what would really piss sony off is we all worked together and decrypted 2.8 and devhook 46 supports flash install so we could install it that way
it will probably happen one day :)

QueadlunnRau
August 3rd, 2006, 13:20
Anyone seen the movie "The Matador"?

Maybe someone in the Dev/Hack scene should attempt some corporate assasinations? If enough money hungry Sony reps die, then wouldn't thier replacements have less moral and fight in them?

I am of course just kidding. ^_^ I am being beyond sarcastic. Anyone from Sony reading this reply please do not attempt to find me and put a restraining order on me as I am just kidding.

O.o

publicprivates
August 3rd, 2006, 13:58
you guys are acting stupid. sony makes a great portable and you should respect them. You should be sayin stuff like fu** sony or anything because without them you wouldnt have the friggin portable.

GobboFett
August 3rd, 2006, 14:08
Companies have issued cease and desist orders before where they have no legal right to do so check out http://www.prehensile.com/tales/meatloom/fruitlove.htm for a story of a parody site and Fruit of the Loom's illegal harrasment of the site owner's. I am not sayign weather what Sony is doing is legal or not but big companies will try and bully smaller people illegally because they have the money to do so.

My god :eek: Just checked out this harrowing tale of one guy Vs. a big corporation (ala Sony)...

It's amazing how quickly those big shots backed down and became all friendly when the law ACTUALLY got involved. I believe this could work out the same for Booster and DevHook. As previously stated in this thread, Booster NEVER distributed the file in question (reboot.bin) in DevHook and from my personal experience have never seen it included/packaged with DevHook (bar psp-hacks.com, but they don't count ;)). It is very true that decrypting Firmware is not illegal, I mean these files are provided BY SONY to users for users.
I myself can say that DevHook has made me find new love for my PSP (thank you MGA2 & MM:MHX :)) and will continue to buy games IF and only if I don't need to upgrade from 1.50. Then again, if you get into legal mumbo jumbo with code, who knows :confused:

Well, this discussion is very heated now and you can expect more posts to come so to Sony I say; Middle finger...sit and rotate :p

GobboFett
August 3rd, 2006, 14:15
you guys are acting stupid. sony makes a great portable and you should respect them. You should be sayin stuff like fu** sony or anything because without them you wouldnt have the friggin portable.

Oh really? I wouldn't have a portable console? What about the GP2X? This beast was directly engineered for Homebrew and ALREADY has a PSOne emu. I mean the PSP features are pretty sub-par and you need to convert to MS-Pro Duo's to get data stored plus the lack of really stick out good games and the price... I have every right to say F*** YOU SONY!

despoteuodia
August 3rd, 2006, 14:31
The Japanese Site which hosts the Devhook application have been slapped with a Cease and Desist Order over the Devhook app which lets users use different firmware on their PSP, (This site only EVER linked to the UMD versions of Devhook unlike other sites that linked to the ISO Version).

Heres what Ookm posted on his site (http://0okm.blogspot.com/2006/08/ony-stop-pspsoftwareddojp-release.html):

Warning from SCE to those who up-load DevHook0.43fix comes.
Moreover, please annul it at once when downloaded 0.43fix is preserved at hand, and it uses it.
Not seeing this knows and there is a possibility to use, too.
Please inform me of this when there is an owner in surroundings.
Moreover, the main body of DevHook and the relation file of all versions were deleted from this site.
As a result, opening DevHook on this site to the public is completely stopped

Does this mean Sony are to go after all sites hosting the ISO version of Devhook, well i can see it happening, im also concerned about the UMD version, it is legal because it doesnt run ISOs but we will have to see.

What is apparent is that some members of the Homebrew Scene by posting the ISO version have helped Sony strike a blow at thier own sites, all for a few extra hits.

Got a Comment, then lets have discussion on this

Digg It (http://digg.com/gaming_news/Sony_Issue_Cease_and_Desist_Order_For_Devhook)

well i dont think sony is that dumb, if they get rid of the umd version they prevent people from playing higher games, sony doesnt want to cut sales, rihgt?
they just want to stop iso piracy. if sony has any smarts they will realise that thousands of people only have psps (and bought games) because of homebrew.

vettacossx
August 3rd, 2006, 15:35
IF ITS JUST THIS ONE ILLEGAL FILE! THAT COULD SHUT DOWN SITES ELIMAINATE USING SONYS VERSION OF THE FILE I.E. GAMESHARKS 1.5 FIRMEWARE!!!

i want to just touch on the whole:
" custom firmeware thing "
and ask? should we ever host news here at DCemu about them knowing full well sony may actually yhave a legal basis of whitch to **** with us upon?
Q: #2
can we replace the 1.5 reboot.bin with a gameshark 1.5 reboot.bin.....i mean yes sony own the official SONY MADE FIRMEWARE but they dont own the FIRMEWARE FORMAT?!!! it was developed originally for DIGITAL CAMERAS!!!! n such so is booster in trouble??? will he even be given an oppertunity to try and fix this legal issue??? is SETX in trouble or any other apps that MOD theese so called illegal files???? and IS A NON-COPYWRITED VERSION of 1.5 reboot.bin available in firmewares like tyhe GAMESHARK FIRMEWARE 1.5??? theese seem to be things we may want to PONDER in the days to come.....it will be interesting to say the least....watching this all unfold!

publicprivates
August 3rd, 2006, 15:43
no one had a problem like this when the gameboy came around. No one whined when the nes couldnt play homebrew.

vettacossx
August 3rd, 2006, 16:00
yeah and did eather of those system compare ....did they run homebrew? NO!!!...besides the fact that your comment had NOTHING to do with dev hook and this issue WE take very seriousley....the nintendo hand helds have always BEEN SURE to be behind TECHNOLOGICAL times I.E. snes is out you get a nes handheld black and white(gb)....64 is released now you can have a COLOR nes handheld ( gbc)...the game cube comes out....FINALLY youy can have a snes handheld!1 lmao...GBA...now just before the wee....you get a HALF ASS IMITATION OF THE n64 oONLY 32BIT! lol...with touch screen like my 1982 microwave oven! yipp-****ing-eee get real i dont flame ofteb but comments like your tend to bring a person to the forum "table" to state the obvious.....SONY MADE A 128 bit system with a 333mhz capability and LCD screen.....so what ever in the world would cause people to take advantage of this...you dont see??? was the dreamcast a COMMERCIALL FAILURE YES it was...but it was also one of the biggest HB systems i still use mine today ill bet my dreamcast can emulate ANYTHING the nintendo WIIIII can ;) and it prob did it years before 2....nintendo is LIGHT YEARS away from sony in price yes....but also in technology :( keep that in mind **** innovative i want QUALITY GFX AND HARDWARE!!

vettacossx
August 3rd, 2006, 16:03
yeah and did eather of those system compare ....did they run homebrew? NO!!!...besides the fact that your comment had NOTHING to do with dev hook and this issue WE take very seriousley....the nintendo hand helds have always BEEN SURE to be behind TECHNOLOGICAL times I.E. snes is out you get a nes handheld black and white(gb)....64 is released now you can have a COLOR nes handheld ( gbc)...the game cube comes out....FINALLY youy can have a snes handheld!1 lmao...GBA...now just before the wee....you get a HALF ASS IMITATION OF THE n64 oONLY 32BIT! lol...with touch screen like my 1982 microwave oven! yipp-****ing-eee get real i dont flame ofteb but comments like your tend to bring a person to the forum "table" to state the obvious.....SONY MADE A 128 bit system with a 333mhz capability and LCD screen.....so what ever in the world would cause people to take advantage of this...you dont see??? was the dreamcast a COMMERCIALL FAILURE YES it was...but it was also one of the biggest HB systems i still use mine today ill bet my dreamcast can emulate ANYTHING the nintendo WIIIII can ;) and it prob did it years before 2....nintendo is LIGHT YEARS away from sony in price yes....but also in technology :( keep that in mind **** innovative i want QUALITY GFX AND HARDWARE!!

Edshugeo
August 3rd, 2006, 16:15
no one had a problem like this when the gameboy came around. No one whined when the nes couldnt play homebrew.

I never owned a Gameboy nor a NES, though I've played both. Their shortcomings were never my concern as my money was never involved.

Perhaps if there were homebrew scenes for each, I would'a been more inclined.

jwilds73
August 3rd, 2006, 17:57
This also depends on the country laws that the host site is based in. He isn't reselling the files he is simply redistributing them with his program. This files were distributed freely by Sony and Sony isn't coming down on other sites for hosting it's firmware updates. I hope he gets legal advice before taking any action.

E.J.
August 3rd, 2006, 18:24
1. DevHook is alive, the cease and desist order is against the file DevHook43Fix..etc which was bundled with the reboot.bin that is Sony's property.

2. Booster hasn't been sued or anything like that, if so he would have told us about it.

3. DevHook will never die as long as there is people that want it to continue, even if Booster stops developing it, somebody will take the project and go on.

4. Reverse engineering is not ilegal in a lot of countries so, if Sony is using that as excuse to stop DevHook then somebody on one of these "free" countries can continue with devhook

So, we should stop talking s**t and wait for Booster to say the last word.

PD: in a previous Post somebody said that PSPSDK was illegal because it was derived from the official SDK, sorry Dude but PSPSDK is completely made of opensource so it can't be derived from Sony's SDK

psman
August 3rd, 2006, 18:40
to bad i guess the only people who would buy sonys ps1 modified games are 2.7 plus users. obviously is no one here and all homebrewers. so in the long run sony even loses more money. Not a smart move for sony to pick a fight they cant win. them losing money is an extra touch. besides i bet people r already starting on a homerew ps1 emulation. So to say what i mean is ha ha ha sony loses homebrew wins. better set up for the death of sony!!

shadow77
August 3rd, 2006, 19:58
wraggster : the UMD and ISO version of devhook are both NOT illegal.

hosting devhook which contains the Sony copyrighted files (i.e the firmware dump that you are supposed to make yourself IS illegal).

what happened on the devhook official page is that a user uploaded an unofficial version of devhook which contained these files (a reboot.bin). it was uploaded awhile back and no one noticed it until now. Partly it was the site admins fault for having a public uploading system (anyone could upload)

splodger15
August 3rd, 2006, 21:19
if they were going to emulate 2.80 firmware for devhook where would they get the file reboot.bin file from

linkboy321
August 3rd, 2006, 21:30
if they were going to emulate 2.80 firmware for devhook where would they get the file reboot.bin file from

You get it from a firmware dump.

Booster has never released a version of Devhook with any copyrighted Sony files it in.

To get Devhook to work, you either had to

A) download a premade pack (illegal, and not released by Bootster, just like the version that Sony is questioning)

B) dump the firmware files yourself (legal, as long as its your copy and you don't distribute them).

splodger15
August 3rd, 2006, 21:44
when i dumped 2.80 firmware just to have a look there was no reboot.bin

linkboy321
August 3rd, 2006, 21:48
when i dumped 2.80 firmware just to have a look there was no reboot.bin

reboot.bin is encrypted.

You have to decrypt (which is different then dumping) the firmware to get reboot.bin (which is why 2.71 took as long as it did).

splodger15
August 3rd, 2006, 21:53
reboot.bin is encrypted.

You have to decrypt (which is different then dumping) the firmware to get reboot.bin (which is why 2.71 took as long as it did).

ok

SteveV2
August 4th, 2006, 00:15

Just a wild guess, a stab in the dark. You've got 2.71 haven't you?

SteveV2
August 4th, 2006, 00:21

Sheesh, why are you so negative?

When the GB and Nes came out the average computer had a 700meg hard drive.

Now, you psp can emulate it!

splodger15
August 4th, 2006, 07:43
Just a wild guess, a stab in the dark. You've got 2.71 haven't you?

no i havent got 2.71 i have 1.50

SteveV2
August 4th, 2006, 13:29
Not you mate, the other guy :)

Video_freak
August 4th, 2006, 13:32
Sheesh, why are you so negative?

When the GB and Nes came out the average computer had a 700meg hard drive.

Now, you psp can emulate it!
i guess that other guy isnt a homebrew fan...:rolleyes:
more for me :D

despoteuodia
August 11th, 2006, 01:08
I think it's only a matter of time before sony moves against the umd version too;
I know that without the ISO loader it should be legal but still Devhook is a serious threat to their we'll-include-a-psx-emu-in-the-next-firmware-and-everyone will-upgrade plan.
i dont think sony is dumb enough to go after the umd verson, i think they have enough brains to give us reason to buy umd's especially since their sales are not as good as hoped with the psp. homebrew was probably the biggest sale point, its why i got mine, and my friends got theirs. devhook helps them. and their psx emu may not be so good, a homebrew one supposibly will run at 50fps with 16bit color with wifi and sound by the end of summer even b4 sony's!!! sony cant win.

Video_freak
August 11th, 2006, 02:37
before the end of the summer? i will be shocked if that happens (in a good way of course)