PDA

View Full Version : Oddworld: Abe games

Airdevil
August 2nd, 2006, 23:51
I know that porting the originals are not going to be possible..... but imagine if someone made a whole new abe game using the same sprites.

This is like one of the games i would love to be portable. :D

Im willing to help to make this possible.... but have no coding experience.... so i can rip all the sprites you need from the games (i have the resources to enable me to lol), but im sure this can be done in a variety of coding languages.

Any experienced coder willing to take up the task?

psiko_scweek
August 3rd, 2006, 06:49
yeah, it could be done, and i dont think it would be TOO hard to do, but its still a project that is gonna take a while to complete, if it did get started.

Airdevil
August 3rd, 2006, 12:08
yeah, it could be done, and i dont think it would be TOO hard to do, but its still a project that is gonna take a while to complete, if it did get started.

Yeah, i know its going to take a while, but the resulting homebrew at the end will be good!

Kramer
August 3rd, 2006, 12:13
there will be psone emu before anyone comes close to remaking oddworld

Airdevil
August 3rd, 2006, 12:27
there will be psone emu before anyone comes close to remaking oddworld

i dont believe that.... because the n64 emulators (putting aside what a great achievement they are) are taking ages for them to be written. and the psone is a more complicated machine.

A Whole new homebrew abe game shouldnt take as long, mainly due to the fact that the creator can decide how long/short to make it, and what to incorporate in the game engine.

psiko_scweek
August 3rd, 2006, 15:51
lol Airdevil, actually the N64 is a more complicated machine than the PSX. The downfall of the N64 was the reliance on dating Cartrige technology and a design flaw dealing with the amount of graphic memory that was available, if those two would have been better there woulnt have been no competition between the two.

Eitherway, that aside, i think someone could design a OddWorld-style game, and it would be a lot of work, dont get me wrong, but it could be done. Airdevil is correct about the last part about how the game designer could determine what to include and what not to.

I think the hardest part of the game would be the AI of the monsters and the people you have to rescue, but that could be figured out. eh, we will see.

Airdevil
August 3rd, 2006, 16:03
lol Airdevil, actually the N64 is a more complicated machine than the PSX. The downfall of the N64 was the reliance on dating Cartrige technology and a design flaw dealing with the amount of graphic memory that was available, if those two would have been better there woulnt have been no competition between the two.

Eitherway, that aside, i think someone could design a OddWorld-style game, and it would be a lot of work, dont get me wrong, but it could be done. Airdevil is correct about the last part about how the game designer could determine what to include and what not to.

I think the hardest part of the game would be the AI of the monsters and the people you have to rescue, but that could be figured out. eh, we will see.

oh i didnt know that, i was just looking at how the psx graphics were better.... i didnt take those factors into consideration first thing in the morning lol

Wally
August 4th, 2006, 00:45
Or you could convince the makers of oddworld to bring a game to PSP :)

psiko_scweek
August 4th, 2006, 06:22
lol.....i think i hear an online petition brewing...does that even work though?

btw...i want Fallout 3 on the PSP!!!

Airdevil
August 4th, 2006, 08:44
Or you could convince the makers of oddworld to bring a game to PSP :)

By ANY means :D ...................;)

lol, well i dont really see it happening, cause the oddworld games have a series like:

1 .1 abes oddysee
.2 Abes Exoddus

2. Munches Oddysee

3. Strangers Wrath

All i can see happening is them introducing a new character to add to the "Oddworld experience and discovery". Even if they do bring a psp version out which is unlikely by its self.

I WANT ABE lmao.