PDA

View Full Version : Drivin' my PSP around...

deniska
August 3rd, 2006, 07:54
A little update on my GPS/Mapviewer project..

It is slowly shaping up in to something useful...
I did the first "field testing" of the mapviewer's gps option tonite. The link below points to a small video clip, captured with my casio camera. It is a bit shacky, but it is hard to drive and focus the camera at the same time ;-)
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/drivin.jpg

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/Drivin_with_PSP.wmv

[EDIT] Here is another video - in a daylight.
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/driving_with_PSP2.wmv
I changed the cursor for directional arrow for gps mode... I guess to make it really cool I need to turn the map and not the center arrow ;-)

I still need to patch a number of bugs and build some content before a public release. So please be patient ;-)

PS: PM if you are interested in helping to beta-test the viewer and build content for it (POI, custom maps, tutorials, documentation, etc). I need people who actually built and tested gps link, described in the thread below.

csocean
August 3rd, 2006, 09:22
This is tremendously cool!

How complete is the mapping software going to be? Will we be able to get directions from one place to another for example?

lewbacca
August 3rd, 2006, 10:08
wow. this is actually very cool Deniska.
i think my gps is about to arrive today.
what is that script called, you are using to download the maps from google? i've tried to find something like that for hours. you must have coded it, for yourself eh? :D

A Fn NOOB
August 3rd, 2006, 13:52
http://w3.emailcommunity.net/mypoi/

Is one of many sites where people can download free POI files to import to their GPS nav units.

The cool thing about the PSP vs say a Tom-Tom is that there could be modules made to "emulate" the various units out there. I envision something along the lines of "Please select mode: 1) TomTom 2) Sony U-Nav 3) Garmin xxxx ".... and so on!

If users can import their own poi's it would save you from having to include these with your software, keeping the initial package small in size.

Mapping "engine", modules.

Great project Deniska, seriously!

deniska
August 3rd, 2006, 15:20
This is tremendously cool!

How complete is the mapping software going to be? Will we be able to get directions from one place to another for example?

Don't expect route calculation - I simply don't have the data for it...
I should be able to do "route import", where you import a route, generated by one of my scripts.
The software will alert you with the messages like "MERGE ON I-95" once you get close to the next waypoint from the imported route...
Again, this is not yet implemented, but should not be too hard to code...

deniska
August 3rd, 2006, 15:24
what is that script called, you are using to download the maps from google? i've tried to find something like that for hours. you must have coded it, for yourself eh? :D

Yep, it's a linux/cygwin script.. a little messy at the moment... But you also should be able to download the maps from the viewer itself, using WIFI...

ACID
August 3rd, 2006, 15:26
Great job keep it up.

deniska
August 3rd, 2006, 15:27
http://w3.emailcommunity.net/mypoi/

Is one of many sites where people can download free POI files to import to their GPS nav units.

If users can import their own poi's it would save you from having to include these with your software, keeping the initial package small in size.

Mapping "engine", modules.

Great project Deniska, seriously!

Nice site, thanks for the tip...
And, of course I am not gonna bundle it with actual data, I am just trying to generate scripts to get different types of POI...

gooffer06
August 3rd, 2006, 15:55
Hello

I'm searching to use your software in beta test please email me at [email protected]

I 've already been the wire with the Holux GPS. It's working good.

regards

A Fn NOOB
August 3rd, 2006, 17:17
Nice site, thanks for the tip...
And, of course I am not gonna bundle it with actual data, I am just trying to generate scripts to get different types of POI...

Yeah, as I said to you before, while some people may care where the nearest Denny's is, I think most PSP'ers would rather have a list of say public/unsecured WIFI spots :)

I think that the various mfgr's use different file formats for importing POI files, but there seem to be tools available for converting one type to another.

www.gpspassion.com (http://www.gpspassion.com) has good info for anyone wanting to brush up on anything related to GPS.

So what are you gonna do, make people post pics of their GPS units running on GPSVIEWER in order to get their beta copy?

You should consider setting up a side-forum for the hardware end of it so that users can share info if they need help setting up their GPS recievers.

When that video makes the rounds on all the various websites this site is going to become a madhouse! lol

lewbacca
August 3rd, 2006, 18:15
Yep, it's a linux/cygwin script.. a little messy at the moment... But you also should be able to download the maps from the viewer itself, using WIFI...
so i think it's time to ask :D

is there a way, that i could possibly take a look at the source code please? ;)

deniska
August 3rd, 2006, 19:19
so i think it's time to ask :D

is there a way, that i could possibly take a look at the source code please? ;)

Here is the scripts that generate the data...

lewbacca
August 3rd, 2006, 19:28

deniska
August 3rd, 2006, 19:38
So what are you gonna do, make people post pics of their GPS units running on GPSVIEWER in order to get their beta copy?

I am not that paranoid :-)
It's not really top secret or anything - it's just not ready for primetime..
Although, posting pictures from different people is not such a bad idea - it will prove to people that setup is not that complicated...
---------------------------------------------------------

And, btw, I since I get PM from people with questions like: "should I connect red wire with a green one...."
No you should not ;-) - invest $10 in some cheap multitester and check which wire goes to what connector..

brainpan
August 3rd, 2006, 19:40
I really enjoy the music playing...what was it?

lewbacca
August 3rd, 2006, 20:36
sounds like daddy yankee... not my flavor of music hehe :D

A Fn NOOB
August 4th, 2006, 02:14
I am not that paranoid :-)
It's not really top secret or anything - it's just not ready for primetime..
Although, posting pictures from different people is not such a bad idea - it will prove to people that setup is not that complicated...

Yeh, if a F*****G NOOB can do it, so can you! HAHAHA

------------------------------------------------------------

And, btw, I since I get PM from people with questions like: "should I connect red wire with a green one...."
No you should not ;-) - invest $10 in some cheap multitester and check which wire goes to what connector..
Hey you are somehow reading all my damn pm's? LOL. Now I know why you wanted me to post up a thread on my setup- so LJ could start PM'ing me! I mean, I dont care if someone asks me something, but when the ? is something Ive clearly outlined......Its frustrating

Thats why I was hinting for you to do that, so I could get LJ off my back! ;)

If they use the exact setup I used, with the external Moto cellphone battery with the circuit protection built in, LJ wont have to get his daddy to buy him a new PSP if he shorts anything.

LJ=Little Johnny;[ the boob that couldnt hax0r his way out a paper bag and thinks he's l337 cuz his PSP is the BOMB,YO!]

deniska
August 4th, 2006, 05:32
To Fn NOOB:
Your are cool, PM me your MAC address - I'll hook you up with a dev version.... (I am assuming you do have 1.5Fw ;-)

A Fn NOOB
August 4th, 2006, 08:04
Your mailbox is full, I cant imagine why.

lewbacca
August 4th, 2006, 17:27
mhh i cant really get your script to work. is it possible that theres a script missing?
it asks for a script called urlencode.sh .

deniska
August 4th, 2006, 18:11
mhh i cant really get your script to work. is it possible that theres a script missing?
it asks for a script called urlencode.sh .
Use this...
http://www.shelldorado.com/scripts/cmds/urlencode

lewbacca
August 4th, 2006, 18:46
oh. i thought that this would be something you have coded on your own too hehe. ok. i'll try that later.
which areas do you need to get covered?
or is any area useful to you?

deniska
August 4th, 2006, 21:49
oh. i thought that this would be something you have coded on your own too hehe. ok. i'll try that later.
which areas do you need to get covered?
or is any area useful to you?

I got enough maps already..
what could be useful is hacking other sources in the same fashion to get different maps and POIs..
For instance MSN mapPoint has similar interface.. or yahoo maps (beta), etc...
IEInspector is a good tool to use for that

A Fn NOOB
August 5th, 2006, 18:38
Cant get it to work with my unit.

The setup that works for me was the original GPSviewer that was untouched except the 38400bps was changed to 4800bps. What changes did you make in GPS parsing, etc from then to now?

Also to quit I have to reboot PSP, doesnt acknowledge X when quitting.

PS Not too long after the PSP came out.... Sony released this:
http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/cat_sony_gps_review.php
(3rd one on the page)
Heh heh... Looks like a PSP without the UMD, wifi.

deniska
August 7th, 2006, 03:24
Cant get it to work with my unit.

The setup that works for me was the original GPSviewer that was untouched except the 38400bps was changed to 4800bps. What changes did you make in GPS parsing, etc from then to now?

Also to quit I have to reboot PSP, doesnt acknowledge X when quitting.

PS Not too long after the PSP came out.... Sony released this:
http://www.gpslodge.com/archives/cat_sony_gps_review.php
(3rd one on the page)
Heh heh... Looks like a PSP without the UMD, wifi.

You'll have to give me more details - what exactly does not work...with the sequence of things you did... Do you get any messages on screen?
Anything in stdout.txt file in the EBOOT directory?

Can you load the maps, zoom in/out?
[select] button usually quits the map or the program...
Also, your WIFI switch must be off to get data thru serial port...
I am assuming you pressed [square] buton to turn on GPS data read function... Also check the gps coordinates on your map against say google maps.... - make sure they are correct..(each map is supposed to have coords.txt file inside...)

A Fn NOOB
August 9th, 2006, 00:48
Sorry, didnt know about wi-fi switch! (Or how to exit)

Works! Will test more when I have time.

How do I import different maps, say a street-level map of the county in which I live?

deniska
August 9th, 2006, 01:29
How do I import different maps, say a street-level map of the county in which I live?

Did not I tell you in the PM with instructions?

If you have WIFI: use built in WIFI loader with zoom level of 0,1 or 2
You'll need to enter the gps coordinates of the place you build the map for.
But you can "import" the coordinates from a previously viewed map. So go to that world map I provided with your distribution and find your place, (may use the gps for that) then exit the map with [SELECT] button and go to WIFI option.
Make sure your WIFI switch is ON this time... ;-)
Map size is in tiles of 256x256 pixels, so, for example 16, will get you 4096x4096pix map at the base zoom with 4 zoom levels.
Size must be in powers of 2: 4,8,16,32,65,128,256

Careful - generating a big map can take some significant time and lots of space on your MS...
So start with a small one...
(NOTE: due to a bug, the WIFI upload only works the first time you run it... so you'll need to exit the program to generate another map)

You can generate the maps with w/o WIFI with the cygwin scripts that I provided.
./getmap.sh [latitude] [longitude] [map size]
should generate you a map for your location...
Use base zoom=0 for the most detailed street level...
The script will create a bunch of directories (1x, 2x , 4x...) with map tiles as well as coords.txt file.
Create a new folder in the maps directory on your PSP and drop all those files in that directory.
The folder name must be in upper case and start with "_"..
Alternativelly, you can zip those files and drop them in the maps folder on your PSP... See the world map example, I provided....

[B]Well, I really expect more intuition on you part, for beta testing...
Explaining every little thing takes my time away from coding....and thus not very productive...

I also expect someone from my "testers" to write detailed instructions on how to use different features.. perhaps someone could also brush up on the scripts, to make them more user friendly....

seesoe
August 9th, 2006, 09:44
when u do wifi update make sure u turn off wifi power saveing optino, or it will cut off around 50 lol
*after that happend to me i forgot to turn the setting off and i did the map updater again and i have to keep pressing a button so it will not turn wifi off, and there is 336 to download lol* but it does not take as long as i thought it would

great job so far deniska

lewbacca
August 9th, 2006, 12:53
I also expect someone from my "testers" to write detailed instructions on how to use different features.. perhaps someone could also brush up on the scripts, to make them more user friendly....[/B]

I could do a German translation for your program if you plan to make it multilanguage..

deniska
August 9th, 2006, 16:25
I could do a German translation for your program if you plan to make it multilanguage..
Localization is not in my immediate plans...

NoQuarter
August 10th, 2006, 03:08
Densika how do you feel about porting kstars for your device?Also would it be possible to make a similar link to hook up a cellphone to psp for anywhere internet access?Great work!

Nine2five
August 10th, 2006, 03:13
this is very very nice, i cant wait 'till the release keep up the great job.

deniska
August 10th, 2006, 04:57
Densika how do you feel about porting kstars for your device?Also would it be possible to make a similar link to hook up a cellphone to psp for anywhere internet access?Great work!

I'll leave other planets for phase II :-)
about the phone link - not sure if too many phones these days have serial ports...

abioqaas
August 10th, 2006, 09:35
Just ordered the GPS module for ~70€.

Can't wait for the release.

doverkiller
August 10th, 2006, 12:55
öö... Wow?!

A Fn NOOB
August 13th, 2006, 07:20
Im sorry for asking the dumb questions before, Deniska, I haven't had more than 10 free minutes of free time in the past week. I think it's great what you're doing, it will be the most useful homebrew application for the PSP thus far.

Keep up the good work, sir!

p.s. Some thoughts that have come to mind related to navigation: While route planning would be a huge undertaking, if a person were to "mark" their destination somehow (Or just enter coordinates) you could have a side pane with a compass/pointer pointing towards those coordinates, and calculate distance, and possibly eta. Or just make it like GTA with the little arrow/blip thing :D I always liked the gps side-pane on Streets & trips, it looks good imo.

I have some other ideas that Id like to share with you when I have time, involving realtime tracking of vehicles/people, and other things that would incorporate nicely into your software - eventually.
Just get a version 1 out there so you can beat $ony to the punch!

Has anyone heard what, if any, software will be packaged with the sony gps for psp?

lewbacca
August 13th, 2006, 10:11
Has anyone heard what, if any, software will be packaged with the sony gps for psp?
sony got a map viewer for japan out. i think it will be usable with the gps device. correct me if i am wrong

peputinho
August 28th, 2006, 22:53
Every Of Us Are Waiting For Deniska´s Good News. You Are The Best.