PDA

View Full Version : Gangs of London leak confirmed

wraggster
August 3rd, 2006, 19:35
News from Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66478)

Sony Computer Entertainment UK has condemned the leaking of forthcoming PSP title Gangs of London to the internet, after copies of an internal beta of the game appeared on BitTorrent sites overnight.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony spokesman David Wilson also warned consumers that the leaked version is incomplete and buggy.

"The version of Gangs Of London that you have brought our attention to here is a pre-production 'preview' version," he revealed. "It is not the complete game and it has anomalies in the code since it hasn't been through our QA process yet."

Wilson also reasserted his firm's strong opposition to game piracy - and while it's clearly not relevant in this situation, as BitTorrent piracy creates no revenues, he pointed to the oft-cited link between piracy and organised crime.

"We are wholly opposed to game piracy," he commented. "Even if people have no sympathy for games developers losing money (though in the end that damages our industry and hurts gamers) - there are proven links that exist between counterfeiting and organised crime and that has some serious consequences (and victims) that people should give due consideration."

Gangs of London, which itself has more than a little bit to do with organised crime and gangland violence, will be out on the PSP later this year, and will allow players to engage in tactical urban combat around the streets of London and the capital's most famous landmarks - all without the aforementioned serious consequences.

Maybe another reason why Sony is taking a real look at the Homebrew scene, the warez people spoil it for us all ?

ste
August 3rd, 2006, 19:42
While I don't agree with piracy at all I find it pretty funny that he's saying how bad gangs, drugs and organised crime are whilst moaning about a game that they produced which glamourises it. Touche.

compoman386
August 3rd, 2006, 19:47
Yeah, everytime an iso is launched off your mem-stick a small furry kitten dies lol!

jimmi
August 3rd, 2006, 19:52
piracy is wrong!

compoman386
August 3rd, 2006, 20:00
piracy is wrong!

True, I just don't appreciate the "scare tactics" that sony has resorted to.

SINIStER
August 3rd, 2006, 20:01
This game has been running through the net for about a week and a half now and now it's that they found out.What's even funnier is that it's on public servers.What they need to do is check thier own staff,the leak is defenitley from within.Now the sad part is that the whole hbrew community is going to feel the heat for these type of mishaps.

August 3rd, 2006, 20:36
I already knew It was all over torrent sites.

ACID
August 3rd, 2006, 20:44
I saw this on torrent sites like 2 weeks ago

SSaxdude
August 3rd, 2006, 21:24
I've tried it and it's not that great. You can't even pick up extra weapons.

Hevyduty
August 3rd, 2006, 21:39
I want to thank Sony for bringing it to my attention that the Gangs of London leak is available for download. Otherwise, I might not have known about it. I appreciate Sony for increasing my awareness. I'm downloading it now.

I'm also thankful to Sony for bringing my attention to that great Devhook program by Booster yesterday when they tried to crack down on it. I'm going to use Devhook to run the Gangs of London demo once it's downloaded.

And to think if it wasn't for Sony, I wouldn't have known about any of this great stuff.

Thanks Sony! ;)

Lodis
August 3rd, 2006, 22:43
How can you take anyone seriously who speaks of the link between counterfiting and organised crime when they are promoting and selling a game called ''Gangs of London''

Briggzy11
August 3rd, 2006, 23:32
Well somebody from the so-called SONY leaked this onto the net so maybe they should be looking into some staff changes...

gamesquest1
August 4th, 2006, 00:10
or maybe a person called sony working for sony released it to enable a nice crackdown on the homebrew scene as they havnt really had any major provoction from the homebrewers why they so up set.....although this proves the updates firmware needed for games is rubbish when it does finally come out cus it evidently does work on existing firmware.
oh yeah just like to say if its a beta version the should just think of it as a demo released if its not complete what odds does it make to them ohhh well let them have a bitch fit they cant force me to upgrade personally i think playin zelda on the snes emulator is alot better than most of the new games they have released

F9zDark
August 4th, 2006, 02:00
Yeah, I am thinking the same. First the UMD tools leak, which was an inside job and now this? Sony may definately be up to something...

Any homebrew site stupid enough to host these files deserve to be shut down anyway. But we may want to watch our backs too, in case any flak comes this way.

MaxSMoke
August 4th, 2006, 04:13
Maybe they are just preparing themselves for a HUGE loss of profits when the game fails. It could well be that they know already that the game is going to suck, and this way they'll be able to blame the low sales on game piracy instead of competent game design.

Alternatively, this could all be viral marketing ploy. They could have released this beta on purpose to get people to play the game and spread the word around about how good it is. After all, the reason DOOM2 sold so big was because people had pirated DOOM1 so much, and so many people knew how cool it was, that everybody rushed out to buy the new version as soon as it was available.

Or maybe the Mob is really behind it! I bet they planted radio transmitters in the teeth of the beta testers, so they could mind-control them into releasing the game as part of a bid for WORLD DOMINATION! MU-AHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Voltron
August 4th, 2006, 07:24
Soooooo let me get this straight, according to this guy:

1.) BitTorrent has connections to organised crime.

2.) This game glorifies, promotes, and encourages organised crime.

???????????????????????????????????????

groovemaster303
August 4th, 2006, 09:57
anyone who has played GOL will realise it's naff
all this talk will cover them (sony) when it never sells on the shelves.

rbervoets
August 4th, 2006, 14:47
Maybe another reason why Sony is taking a real look at the Homebrew scene, the warez people spoil it for us all ?

I agree i when on 1 site it had all psp game isos Of the WORLD!

i mean sony should put better copyright coding in the actual game itself and ALLOW HOMEBREW

Mr.Denny
August 4th, 2006, 15:47
While I don't agree with piracy at all I find it pretty funny that he's saying how bad gangs, drugs and organised crime are whilst moaning about a game that they produced which glamourises it. Touche.

My thoughts exactly

MUDD
August 4th, 2006, 17:43
down with homebrew
up with gangs of london

my girl said it was ok .
something about the mini
pool game

Gray Fox
August 4th, 2006, 18:00
I pay for all good games like this one, GTA games and other need to have games r a must buy lol So I dont think they have to worry allthough many will download the rest will pay:)