PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Dev: People Think PlayStation Home "Is Sh*t"

wraggster
May 29th, 2010, 22:22
It must feel pretty strange when you work hard on something that you know most people think is a piece of garbage. That's exactly the case with PlayStation Home content developer Veemee's Kirk Ewing, who fully acknowledges that the game space doesn't have the most favorable view amongst the gaming public.

Play.tm reports that at the last Game in Scotland event, Ewing admitted: "Most people think that Home is sh*t." Veemee is responsible for Home content such as the London Pub and the V-Store which sells many different kinds of Home apparel.

Ewing followed the statement with: "I'm here to say that it's not." Ewing also said that Home is set to leave the open beta phase it's been in for at least the past year-and-a-half in December, though what this exactly means for the service is unsure, and Sony has not confirmed the claim. His message on Home not being "sh*t" could possibly be referring to it as a platform for profit, rather than fun.

Waiting around in a virtual world to play a game of pool or to bowl wasn't exactly the type of experience I wrote home to mom about (my real home) when Home first launched. However, decorating one's house and experiencing some of the exclusive mini-games and content on the service has been entertaining, but still isn't enough to graft me to regular use personally. They always seem to be adding interesting sounding content, though.

Somebody must be into Home, as Ewing says that "one in three PlayStation 3 owners use Home" and "there are 1.7 million repeat users each using Home for around 53 minutes on average." I would think that anyone with a PS3 hooked up to the internet has tried Home as some point, explaining the first figure. The second figure can only be explained by the addiction people seem to have to virtual dancing and harassment of female avatars. Is Home sh*t like most people seem to think, or should it become a regular visit for more PS3 owners?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100977-PS3-Dev-People-Think-PlayStation-Home-Is-Sh-t

Emulation_Chief
May 30th, 2010, 02:27
Hello:

I can't call HOME sh*t. I call it worthless. I don't find interesting entering this game portal for the following:

1. Is no fun. Why the Miis got popular? cartoonized versions of oneself is fun to watch and share with friends online. Xbox Avatars also has that fun factor. Even some games uses your created persona as your selectable character. Your HOME avatar looks more realistic and let you feel too SIMS. And I believe gamers will prefer the SIMS, which your character is completely playable than the one you create on HOME.

2. Too many micro transactions. Xbox Avatars has items for sale, but are more select than those on HOME. Want to change furniture? cost real money. Want to play some mini games? cost real money. Although I'm not sure if every minigame available cost money or not. Want to expand your house to invite more friends? cost real money. I really prefer spent my bucks on PSN content than on HOME.

3. Too much SIMS like. HOME is a game portal. It's purpose is to expand your virtual social life in a life-like environment. And the SIMS is much better way, and cheaper, to do just that. And more entertaining than HOME.

I believe I'm clear enough on this topic. If I want to spend time and money on the PlayStation Network, the Facebook link will be enough for my virtual social life, PlayStation Store will be my spot to download free and paid content, and I put my photo as my icon account if I want a realistic persona.

Justise
May 30th, 2010, 21:52
Playstation Home is supposed to be a brilliant way to create a PS community.
However The disappointing early BETA that suffered from limited content, lots of Loading, and expensive yet useless digital products, created a very negative opinion about it.

Now Home has come a long way!. There are tons of areas, tons of free or earnable content, and the loading has been cut to 1/3.
The people who are currently calling Home Shit, most likely they haven't log in in Home for a year, or they haven't logged in at all and simply repeat something they've heard ages ago.

However that doesn't mean the current home is a masterpiece. Chatting is difficult since very few people have a keypad or a microphone. Some promises like streaming videos in your Home TV haven't been kept. Game lunching from inside Home is still taking ages. Home cannot run in background during games, so it cannot be used as the default chatting system...