PDA

View Full Version : Translation of NJ's new page for his CPS2 emulator!

BelmontSlayer
August 4th, 2006, 03:02
The original page is here,

http://neocdz.hp.infoseek.co.jp/psp/cps2.html

Here's what I could translate from the page. (My Japanese is a little rusty) If this translation is used elsewhere please give credit to me (BelmontSlayer), as this took almost 45 minutes!

Japanese To English Tranlation

When I first made my CPS1 emulator, the emulation of the Musashi M68000 (The core of MAME) wasn't running so good. After figuring out how the core operated I was able to emulate the remodeling of C68K. Even more suprising was that sound worked quite well!

When i decided to try CPS2, the processing of sprites was actually easier than CPS1. Sprite proccessing is a big factor in emulation.

The PSP has 32MB of memory, but the OS takes 8MB by itself, so only 24MB memory can be used. Because 4MB is used for the emulator, you can only use 20MB as the data area for the ROM of the game. But, memory is not enough alone. If there is no XOR table for the encoding cancellation of ROM, its not very usefull.

I tried using sound with the emulator. As for BGM (Background Music) there is no problem, but because the SE (Sound Effects) cracks somewhat, it becomes a matter of concern. I tried lowering the volume, but it isn't solved that simply.

Also, there are several sprites displaying strangely. This is also a problem unless it is solved.

I tried using the same cache system as my NEOGEO emulator, and was able to move in-game. But, according to my expectations that's not good enough. Because the emulator is slowly reading the cache file, the game play very slow. The reason is that smooth animation when using sprite cache is not effective.

The CPS2 emulation is a small advancement. But throwing out the project halfway, without a regret is kind of hard.

My motivation is slowly declining. (NJ laughs)
I still haven't decided if I will release this or not.

End Of Tranlation

So hopefully he will release the source code...But it seems as if he thinks smooth emulation isn't possible.

-- Update --
A test build has been posted on the website. You can download it by following the link at the top of this news article.

Just a note, Make sure you run your rom zip though the included converter. Games will not run without the cache file.

aries2k4
August 4th, 2006, 14:01
Damn, hope he doesn´t give up. Lol, when NJ came out with the cps1 emu I was hoping it would give him ideas for a cps2 emu. Oh well if it can´t be done, at least NJ gave it a shot.
Thanks for trying NJ!!!

wilbur
August 4th, 2006, 15:09
interesting.

well, it's doesn't make it totally clear whether or not playable emulation is viable without sound, provided he fixes these display bugs.

As i suspected it's troublesome.

i'm not surprised he's getting hacked off with it all by now-surely he needs a holiday -bit worried how wired he must be by now.

maybe he'll take a break, have a go at another similar project and find/invissage something miraclulous and we'll all be happy again (for a while)

who knows

ACID
August 4th, 2006, 16:22
No NJ dont give up we all know you can do it.

PSmonkey
August 4th, 2006, 16:40
Anybody actualy notice there is a test build on that site?

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 16:42
that wasn't there before...time for me to take a break from coding to have sum fun...

kando
August 4th, 2006, 16:44
very nice translation! my eyes are glued to this site for more updates :)

Voltron
August 4th, 2006, 16:44
NJ is great! I have come to really admire his work and I hope he continues.

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 16:48
Can any1 translate?

Edit: I receive this error: This Game Doesn't Work. You Won't be able to make it work correctly. Don't bother. Press any button.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes....

Thats great, so what works?

ste
August 4th, 2006, 17:07
Is the test build any good? There's a new CPS1 Beta 3 out too.

NJ is great....

PSmonkey
August 4th, 2006, 17:08
*holly Ship*

It freaking works great. I am playing 1944 right now. Sure it is not full speed and tends to dip alot, it still runs fantasticly for a test build.

Note.. Remember to conver your roms first for cache files first.

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 17:24
Monkey: How do we know what games work and don't, bsides testing them?

I converted roms to cache, and put the roms in, but it still didnt work...

ste
August 4th, 2006, 17:26
Let the testing begin....

Alien vs Predator runs nicely. Full 60fps most of time but with just a slight laboured feel.

Keep to the smaller sized roms

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 17:33
Note.. Remember to conver your roms first for cache files first.

How do you convert your roms to cache?

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 17:36
With the converter in the same level as 1.0, 1.5... Just drop the .zip file in, and run it... Then when its done, transfer the cache file

wilbur
August 4th, 2006, 17:38
this is nutz, he's puttin it out man, i can't believe it.

Apoklepz
August 4th, 2006, 17:40
So, will Marvel Vs. Capcom work if you convert it?

PSmonkey
August 4th, 2006, 17:47
Monkey: How do we know what games work and don't, bsides testing them?

I converted roms to cache, and put the roms in, but it still didnt work...

You need to copy the cache file it generates (in the cache sub folder) to the cache folder on your memory stick.

It will end up being
cps2test/
cps2test/roms/ <- rom zips here.
cps2test/cache/ <- cache zips here

ste
August 4th, 2006, 17:48
Gigawing and Dungeons + Dragons:TOD are good (especially with sound off).

Big roms like Marvel vs Capcom should work but it could be very sluggish

wilbur
August 4th, 2006, 18:05
are you using mame roms or cps2 ones?

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 18:09
CPS2 ones, I even clicked the CPS2 roms download section on the site...

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 18:30
Xmen Vs Street fighter works!!! kinda choppy but playable!!!

jaydee73
August 4th, 2006, 18:36
Games tested:

Alien Vs Predator 55-60fps
Battle Circuit 50-60fps
Dungeons & Dragons Tower of Doom 60fps
Eco Fighters 60fps
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors' Dream 40-60fps (speeds up after a while)
X-men: Children of the Atom 30-40fps

cazmiester
August 4th, 2006, 18:37
**** this is his idea of a test build almost perfect emulation yes some sprite trouble and scratchy sound but otherwise perfect nj you are the hombrew coder of the year by far vote nj:) :) :) :) :) :)

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 18:43
A new topic specific to the CPS2PSP test has started, moving this list to that thread.

Here is a list of all the CPS2 games with updates on the ones tested.

I will update the list with what fps they run at.

1944 The Loop Master
19XX The War Against Destiny
Alien Vs. Predator -55~60fps (QueadlunnRau)
Battle Circuit -50~60fps (jaydee73)
Capcom Sports Club Dunk Stars, Smash Stars, Kick Stars
Choko
Cyberbots Fullmetal Madness
Dungeons & Dragons Shadow over Mystara -55~60fps (QueadlunnRau)
Dungeons & Dragons Tower of Doom -60fps (jaydee73)
Galum Pa!
Giga Wing -60fps (QueadlunnRau)
Great Mahou Daisakusen / Dimahoo
Hyper Street Fighter II: The Anniversary Edition
Jyangokushi Haoh no Saihai
Mars Matrix Hyper Solid Shooting -50~60fps (XEvilBladesX)
Marvel Super Heroes
Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter -Menu- 30~60fps In Game- 5~25fps (XEvilBladesX)
Marvel Vs. Capcom : Clash of Super Heroes -25~35fps (US Version) (QueadlunnRau)
Mighty! Pang
Pnickies
Pocket Fighter / Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix -45~60fps (QueadlunnRau)
Powered Gear / Armored Warriors -60fps with 22 khz sound (QueadlunnRau)
Progear no Arashi / Progear
Puzz Loop 2
Quiz Nanairo Dreams Nijiirochou no Kiseki
RockMan The Power Battle
RockMan 2 / Mega Man 2 The Power Fighters -60 fps with 22 khz sound (SpacemanSpiff)
Street Fighter Zero / Alpha -40~60fps (jaydee73)
Street Fighter Zero 2 / Alpha 2
Street Fighter Zero 3 / Alpha 3 -Menu- 5~60fps In Game- 2~30fps (XEvilBladesX)
Super Muscle Bomber / Ring of Destruction
Super Puzzle Fighter II X / Turbo
Super Street Fighter II The New Challengers -45~60fps (delt31)
Ultimate Ecology / Eco Fighters -60fps (jaydee73)
Vampire / Darkstalkers The Night Warriors
Vampire Hunter / Night Warriors Dstlkers Revenge
Vampire Hunter 2 Darkstalkers Revenge
Vampire Savior The Lord of Vampire
Vampire Savior 2 The Lord of Vampire
X-Men Children of the Atom -30~40fps (jaydee73)
X-Men Vs. Street Fighter -30~40fps (US Version) (QueadlunnRau)

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 19:03

nope... i rly wanted to ply it too... i have the ps2 one, and love it

Apoklepz
August 4th, 2006, 19:08
You mean Marvel Vs. Capcom 2?
I still don't know why with the bigger roster and all, I've never liked that game more than I like the original...Other than it has Cable and Jill in it.

You could still emulate it on your PC with the appropriate system bios and a graphics card...although it's gonna suck if you don't own a PC controller....Keyboards? Anyone?:D

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 19:23
How hard is it to "convert" the files (as explained on the first post) . Do i have to do much work?

BL4Z3D247
August 4th, 2006, 19:23
I still don't know why with the bigger roster and all, I've never liked that game more than I like the original...Other than it has Cable and Jill in it.

You could still emulate it on your PC with the appropriate system bios and a graphics card...although it's gonna suck if you don't own a PC controller....Keyboards? Anyone?:D
well u can use ur psp as a computer controller now i believe...anyways gunna check this test build out right now, thanx NJ :D

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 19:29

nope... i rly wanted to ply it too... i have the ps2 one, and love it

Marvel Vs. Capcom works!!! you need to use the "MVSCU" (US Version).

Marvel Vs Street Fighter -25-35fps

ebitiba
August 4th, 2006, 19:31
Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo works perfectly except that the sound is a little weak and the game is not full screen. GREAT EMULATOR!

ACID
August 4th, 2006, 19:37
by the way great job belmontslayer for the translation

ACID
August 4th, 2006, 19:38
Oh so it does work.
yes it works and he has gotten a lot of games to work also for it.:)

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 19:41
do i make a rom folder and a cache folder inside the cps2psp folder? sorry for soundin like a noob but im abit confussled (again)

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 19:41
Oh so it does work....cheers!

Naw your right the "mvsc.zip" European version does not work by itself.

You also need the "mvscu.zip" US version with it. :D

Apoklepz
August 4th, 2006, 19:43
Oh...I see.

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 19:44
do i make a rom folder and a cache folder inside the cps2psp folder? sorry for soundin like a noob but im abit confussled (again)

The first time you run the test emulator it will created the folder stucture for you.

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 19:46
erm... help... where do i put the zipped roms and the cache file PLEASE!!!

TrowaX
August 4th, 2006, 19:48
@Vega Copy the cache file into psp/games/cps2psp/cache folder then put the rom in the rom folder and you are done.

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 19:49
erm... help... where do i put the zipped roms and the cache file PLEASE!!!

Run the emulator once, it will create the folders needed, or just create the folders, roms and cache

TrowaX
August 4th, 2006, 19:53
OMG first release and they are running at like 30-45 fps and some running at 60 what more can i say lol you are a coder master man Thanks you !!!! NJ !!!!!

pkmaximum
August 4th, 2006, 19:54
WOW this emulator is amazing, the only bad thing is on some games, it seems like a lot of frames are skipping, but idk why he would even think of not releaseing this emulator its great =O

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 19:54
thanks... got it sorted. Gonna test Super street Fighter 2 turbo.

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 19:57
Post your game results, fps and settings here and I will update my earlier list with your name on it.

I would be testing more, except I am at work right now =( I will be doing massive tests when I get home tonight tho.

OMG this is the happiest day in my LIFE! SERIOUSLY CPS2 on the go!!!! OMG ... be still my heart!!!

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 20:02
yes it works and he has gotten a lot of games to work also for it.:)

Oops wasn't very clear on my list Sorry. That's just a "list" of CPS2 games so that people would know which games to test.

I have not tested all those games yet, just posted up a quick list so people did not have to hunt for which games were CPS2.

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 20:08
if you turn the Raster effects off on X-Men: COTA the game plays slightly better. If this is just a test version then Im shiting myself anticipating the official release (if there will be one). But f*ck me, this emulator is great for a test. Keep it up young esquire.

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 20:12

Yea, I still have my ps2 so i play it sometimes, but I'll prolly start playing it on my laptop soon, since PCSX2 is working fairly well for Kingdom Hearts (DVD)

delt31
August 4th, 2006, 20:15
Super street fighter not only works, it plays 60fps on some stages!!! ken's was getting 60fps - guiles was around 45. This is SO amazing.

Alien vs predator is awesome too. NJ is truly impressive!

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 20:20
wtf? i just tried to run Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and got a message saying "the game wont run... dont even bother" .

delt31
August 4th, 2006, 20:22
On a side note - does everyone's Street fighter Hyper on CPS1 play really fast?? says 60fps but it flies!!!! anything i can do to slow it down?

Psphreak
August 4th, 2006, 20:25
@delta, what you can try is going into the settings of the game and set autoframeskip to off and test it with Frameskip of 1 or 2. It may look a little choppy but it'll be a little more constant gameplay.

Nice work NJ, very impressed with this test version. Keep it going as I know we won't be disapointed.

delt31
August 4th, 2006, 20:33
@delta, what you can try is going into the settings of the game and set autoframeskip to off and test it with Frameskip of 1 or 2. It may look a little choppy but it'll be a little more constant gameplay.

Nice work NJ, very impressed with this test version. Keep it going as I know we won't be disapointed.

here's the thing. The game plays very smooth with autoframe off and 0 FS. Now i want to slow it down b/c it just plays like it's in super turbo mode. If i increase the Frameskip, won't that make it faster? Or was this arcarde game (SF2 hyper) this fast and I'm forgetting something ? I just got the xbox 360 version and it's def slower

SpacemanSpiff
August 4th, 2006, 20:34
Rockman 2 works great - 60 fps with 22 khz sound

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 20:38
my dump of super street fighter 2 turbo comes up red and says it wont work. can someone help me out?

TrowaX
August 4th, 2006, 20:40
my dump of super street fighter 2 turbo comes up red and says it wont work. can someone help me out?
try US version other version does not work at the moment

Psphreak
August 4th, 2006, 20:41
here's the thing. The game plays very smooth with autoframe off and 0 FS. Now i want to slow it down b/c it just plays like it's in super turbo mode. If i increase the Frameskip, won't that make it faster? Or was this arcarde game (SF2 hyper) this fast and I'm forgetting something ? I just got the xbox 360 version and it's def slower

Doing what I mentioned does slow it down somewhat but the sound ends up syncing slowly :(.

delt31
August 4th, 2006, 20:47
Doing what I mentioned does slow it down somewhat but the sound ends up syncing slowly :(.

ok so yours is lightning fast too? It's much faster than championship edition (which seems to be on the slow side ; )

anyone else having this issue

this cps2 emu is awesome btw - back with some more game tests in a sec

pkmaximum
August 4th, 2006, 20:53
I have almost tested every cps-2 game there is and they almost all are playable with sound, sry don't have time to post each individual game.

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 21:11
Jesus christ. I cant find a workin version of Super street fighter anywhere

nexus68
August 4th, 2006, 21:15
WOW Dimahoo work great and with the vertical screen it's perfect.

Screenshot gallery of cps2 games:
http://digilander.libero.it/calimerosegg/gallery/cps2/cps2.html

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 21:19
honestly,, im gettin well pissed off here. can someone PM me please about SSF2T

samthegreat68
August 4th, 2006, 21:25
WOW this emulator is amazing, the only bad thing is on some games, it seems like a lot of frames are skipping, but idk why he would even think of not releaseing this emulator its great =O
nj is a perfectionist.

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 21:33
right... apart from the street fighter series... what games should i be lookin out for?

QueadlunnRau
August 4th, 2006, 21:36
right... apart from the street fighter series... what games should i be lookin out for?

Armored Warriors is an awsome game too.

On page 3 you will see an extensive list of CPS2 games, you can choose some games from thier.

XEvilBladesX
August 4th, 2006, 21:54
Title: Marvel Super Heros Vs. Street Fighter

ROM Sets:
Marvel Super Heros Vs. Street Fighter (Euro 970625)
Marvel Super Heros Vs. Street Fighter (US 970625)
Marvel Super Heros Vs. Street Fighter (US 970827)

Fps:
Menu- 30~60 Fps
In Game- 5~25 Fps

Settings (Game Configuration):
Raster Effects- Off
Video sync- Off
Auto frameskip- Enable
Frameskip- 1
60fps limit- On
Enable Sound- Yes
Sample Rate- 11025Hz
PSP Clock- 333MHz

!Speed Settings (Game Configuration):!
Auto frameskip- off
Frame Skip- 0
Enable Sound- Yes
[Menu & In Game should now be 35~50 Fps]

Zombo
August 4th, 2006, 21:55
Alien Vs Predator....about DAMN TIME!

Accordion
August 4th, 2006, 21:57
do you need the convertor...
im on a mac so it wont work for me....

why do mac users get left out!!!!

dagger89
August 4th, 2006, 21:58
do you need the convertor...
im on a mac so it wont work for me....

why do mac users get left out!!!!

PM me the name of the thing u need converted

ronin47
August 4th, 2006, 21:59
Hello All

It’s my first post on this great forum.

Just have tested this great CPS2 emu, on my Japanese psp firmware 1.0. Tested Super Street Fighter 2 & Turbo so far. I have to say I’m very impressed with this release, as I am with all emu’s NJ have created. :)

Many thanks NJ for all your efforts and hard work you do to make this all possible, keep up the great work. :)

samthegreat68
August 4th, 2006, 22:03
PM me the name of the thing u need converted
what a nice guy..

jeffred
August 4th, 2006, 22:03
Thank you so much NJ...............Thank you Thank you Thank you...........Now back to Giga wing on my psp............. omg

SteveV2
August 4th, 2006, 22:21
Very nice work this one!

Just played through Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo and completed it, without using more than my 1st credit may I add :D

Everything looked in place and correct :)

Good job NJ!

XEvilBladesX
August 4th, 2006, 22:50
Title: Street Fighter Zero/Alpha 3

ROM Sets:
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (US 980904)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (US 980629)
Street Fighter Zero 3 (Japan 980629)
Street Fighter Zero 3 (Japan 980727)

Fps:
Menu- 5~60 Fps
In Game- 2~30 Fps

Raster Effects- Off
Video sync- Off
Auto frameskip- Enable
Frameskip- 1
60fps limit- On
Enable Sound- Yes
Sample Rate- 11025Hz
PSP Clock- 333MHz

Auto frameskip- Off
Frame Skip- 0
Enable Sound- Yes
[Menu & In Game should now be 35~60 Fps!!!]

wilbur
August 4th, 2006, 23:15
sheeeeeyt im totally over the moon
this dude is the full lick.

i take all my fears and doubts back. it is such a treat to play these arcade goodies on my little black wonder. howz he done it?

so simple looking and i think we can all agree, NJ has done the most for the PSP till now.

kiss your balls NJ

XEvilBladesX
August 4th, 2006, 23:40
Title: Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting

ROM Sets:
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting (US 000412)
Mars Matrix: Hyper Solid Shooting (Japan 000412)

Fps:
Menu- 50~60 Fps
In Game- 50~60 Fps

Raster Effects- Off
Video sync- Off
Auto frameskip- Enable
60fps limit- On
Enable Sound- Yes
Sample Rate- 11025Hz
PSP Clock- 333MHz

XEvilBladesX
August 5th, 2006, 00:06
Title: Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalkers Revenge

ROM Sets:
Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalkers Revenge (Japan 970929)
Vampire Hunter 2: Darkstalkers Revenge (Japan 970913)

Fps:
Menu- 50~60 Fps
In Game- 15~30 Fps

Raster Effects- Off
Video sync- Off
Auto frameskip- Enable
Frameskip- 0
60fps limit- On
Enable Sound- Yes
Sample Rate- 11025Hz
PSP Clock- 333MHz

Auto frameskip- Off
Frame Skip- 0
Enable Sound- Yes
[Menu & In Game should now be 47~50 Fps]

BelmontSlayer
August 5th, 2006, 00:48

Thanks. I'm downloading this build now. I'm glad he released it!

QueadlunnRau
August 5th, 2006, 02:00

:D Got so excited because of the test version forgot to say thanx for the translation!

Thank you belmonslayer for your expert translation.

I have a quick question though, on NJ's site does he have a donate link? My Japanese is horrible and am limited to a few nasty words that get me slapped a lot.

BelmontSlayer
August 5th, 2006, 03:43
He dosen't mention donations anywhere on the site...I can't find an email either. That's a true homebrew coder for you! Willing to spend hours coding, expecting nothing in return. I just tried the v1 build, and I notice that there's a second build out!!! :eek: Well, better hog up the phoneline some more. (With my dial-up internet)

pt9087
August 5th, 2006, 17:49
:) Not Bad :)