PDA

View Full Version : News about NeoCD by Ian Micheal

DCEmu_Newsposter
January 1st, 1970, 01:00
Ian Micheal has given out a very nice and interesting status report about the NeoCD project (a port of the NeoGeoCD emulator NeoCD SDL by Fosters): [br][br]Well as you may have been reading. Team work paided off again for the next big step in this project, Speud took up, the challange and Converted the SDL rendering to PVR rending. I did my best to help out here and there I tryed to explain sdl function. [br][br]Fosters Showed us some functions we were missing, what they really did which lead to the rending not having the blurr effect was very productive few days. I tryed to get DMA working and it had garbage at first but I searched this forum and found some usefull info from, black aura which i tryed and DMA is now fixed as well. So the progress, is this full pvr rending with DMA, Filtering, and ive now using a very optmized SDL. only 200k for it. It still had control and audio functions and video but it's really very much optimized using compiler settings for space not speed so from 956k to 200k. Linking this brought the bin size down by almost 300k and gained some speed as well. Then we had a controler problem with scrolling games. I have just fixed this the way input was initing, it was happing before video was, since it's not SDL any more this was effecting it, i changed this, and full controls work again and even nicer then before i was able to now take off some calls to the input and it gained some speed. [br][br]Frameskip is taken off and it has a value of 60 Which should mean zero or it will attempt to run at 60fps fullspeed. [br][br]Speed has gone up with all this progress to over 10fps more on most games this is amazing improvement. [br][br]We must thank Speud for being so helpfull and working for days in pm with me back and forth he did a great job.

Hola
June 13th, 2004, 06:17
O_o thats amazing. How can a neogeo cd run fullspeed with no frame skipping without Sh4 when Snes cant? yes I know the Snes is complexed and all but the Neogeo is a pure beast in power when compared to snes.

Hell maybe he could add frame skipping in again and now turn on sound effects.

BlackAura
June 13th, 2004, 08:15
Mostly because there is no sound emulation, and the video emulator is nowhere near as complex as a SNES has to be. The NeoGeo's video hardware is powerful, but it's also a lot simpler than the SNES, and doesn't need to be as accurate. The more accurate an emulator has to be, the slower it goes.

Ian_micheal
June 14th, 2004, 07:51
Well games like metal slug 1 and 2 are fullspeed till they hit slow down the m68k is still to slow for them. Other games yes there full framerate now no frameskip.

I dont like frameskip try to avoid it when i did see it was not needed then i remove it.

When SFX is working then frameskip would be need again it drops it by 15%.

fackue
June 14th, 2004, 11:07
If the new C68 core was added, by how much percentage would it drop, since then it would be quicker, right?

Ian_micheal
June 14th, 2004, 11:50
I say we might get by with sfx and frameskip 1 or 2

Christuserloeser
June 14th, 2004, 15:43
I wouldn't mind if it runs with FrameSkip at 1 or 2 - would be like NesterDC I guess...

I think with an additional faster SHx optimized Z80 core it could be full speed with SFX activated...

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=dcemu;action=display;num=1083323639; start=180

Chris

Hola
June 14th, 2004, 15:52
Don't know if i'm supposed to mention this but a certain coder has mention his version of nesterdc doesnt use frame skipping at all and runs full speed.

BTW now that we have a optomozid 68 core I guess the Z80 will be the next thing to optimize?

Christuserloeser
June 14th, 2004, 16:13
NesterDC isn't fullspeed as far as I know. On a very few games you can see the frameskip.

Chris

Ian_micheal
June 14th, 2004, 20:12
Yeah ether is sms plus but lot of people claim it. Good enff close to fullspeed i say nesterdc and sms plus.

Neogeo cd will be about the same speed and sound as nesterdc one day geting closer.

Want to see it's speed play aero fighters 2 it's 60fps with bi filter and CDDA.

wraggster
June 14th, 2004, 20:20
what do you fancy next Ian?

PCEngine CD Emu?

atari st?

I cant fault your drive similiar to me with websites :P

guymelef
June 14th, 2004, 20:22
how about kicking some arse with the super famiscast stuff. that way people can shut up and the dsnes team can come out of hiding

MetaFox
June 14th, 2004, 22:13
the dsnes team can come out of hidingThey weren't in "hiding" in the first place. They were improving the PC version of SNES9x. Also, they released their source to scherzo, which was used in the last version of Superfamicast. They are going to/already have released the source of DreamSNES in the official SNES9x CVS tree.

guymelef
June 14th, 2004, 22:37
alright i am sorry

Christuserloeser
June 15th, 2004, 02:40
They weren't in "hiding" in the first place. *They were improving the PC version of SNES9x. *Also, they released their source to scherzo, which was used in the last version of Superfamicast. *They are going to/already have released the source of DreamSNES in the official SNES9x CVS tree.

... and then there's ScummVM on which some of them are working...

Chris

Christuserloeser
June 15th, 2004, 02:43
Yeah ether is sms plus but lot of people claim it. Good enff close to fullspeed i say nesterdc and sms plus

....not sure about SMSplusDC: It is full speed (50Hz) but lacks the FM sound support. the same with SMEG at 60Hz.

Chris

Hola
June 15th, 2004, 05:10
Scherzo's build of nester is fullspeed without frameskipping. You guys suck at reading between the lines.

guymelef
June 15th, 2004, 05:32
no emulation will ever be 100% on any platform. but nesterdc is almost as close to perfect as possible. (i know it doesn't make any sense when you write it down) and try not to sound so hateful

Christuserloeser
June 15th, 2004, 05:51
Scherzo's build of nester is fullspeed without frameskipping. You guys suck at reading between the lines.

er.. Yes I really suck by reading between the lines, but may I ask u who gave you the info, that Scherzo is already that far with NesterDC SE? :o ...he said it to you?

Chris

Hola
June 15th, 2004, 07:50
I hope I'm not letting any cats out of the bag but when he was compiling his source's which is a build of 7 he removed the frameskipping and the speed was still 100%. However I can't speak for him wholy but, from what I remember he's gonna work with 6's source for better compatablity instead. Also possably a general cpu swap to a Sh2 core and some rewriting to it for compatablity. Ionno I talk to him at lunch everyday I will ask around then.

Ian_micheal
June 15th, 2004, 08:47
what do you fancy next Ian?

PCEngine CD Emu?

atari st?

I cant fault your drive similiar to me with websites :P

If i was to pic one of them it be the PCE CD as there is no version of that on the dreamcast at all. And we could get speed for free when using CDDA sound track. But still a long road left for neogeo CD. beta version with SFX will be a lot slower then this. If we cant get stef d core in this emulator. I dont know why but i cant compile his core with my compiler.

Christuserloeser
June 15th, 2004, 11:29
Yeah PCE CD would be fantastic but you should take your time with NeoDC before even starting with a huge new project like that...

Chris

scherzo
June 15th, 2004, 21:04
er.. Yes I really suck by reading between the lines, but may I ask u who gave you the info, that Scherzo is already that far with NesterDC SE? :o ...he said it to you?

Chris

Yes, he's actually telling the truth. We talk from time to time. He asked questions... I give him answers.

I ripped out the frame skipping code altogether and every game that I've tested runs at full 60/60 fps. I really didn't do much to acheive this. Just changed it to use the sq_copy from KOS instead of his own implementation. Plus I'm sure the fact that I'm using a newer GCC with possibly better switches might be the cause for the speed increase.

I also managed to add zip support.

Other Nester related news: I successfully re-ported NNNesterJ to DC. However, it's dog slow. Yet compatibility is much higher than the current NesterDC; Rygar works. NesterDC has been very well optimized and this shows when running an unoptimized NNNesterJ. I'm sort of working on both now. I would like to get my new port of NNNesterJ to work at the speeds of NesterDC but there's a lot to be done. There are a lot of differences between the two source trees. I'm not sure which will eventually become a release. I might just fix the compatibility of NesterDC using NNNesterJ as a guide.

Well, you guys can get back on topic now. Sorry. I just wanted to say that Hola wasn't lying.