PDA

View Full Version : Will the Day Come When a Big Console Maker Supports Homebrew?

wraggster
August 4th, 2006, 17:42
Aside from the GP2X (http://www.divineo.co.uk/php/affstart.php?affcode=arboretum&prod=xx-gp2x) which is a Handheld Homebrewers Dream but it isnt as yet a real Commercial Games playing machine, homebrew is frowned upon by the big 3 namely Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

Out of all 3 Next Gen consoles the Wii could be the console that Nintendo if they were willing and smart enough to take a chance could be the system where Homebrew is made and amateurs get the jump from being bedroom coders to being employed by the big developers.

What can we as a community do to get the big companies to open a door on their consoles or even get them to release a homebrew dev kit of sorts and a way to play legally on their systems without modding etc.

Anyone got a comment or ideas ?

JesusXP
August 4th, 2006, 17:52
I think "we" as a community will be unable to demonstrate any powerful developments on any console unless we start forming some more teams of our own. Making uses of what resources we have, whether it be common geographical location, or internet based.

I think the reality is, for now, a group of individuals may be able to purchase a Wii devkit collectively and start active development pursueing a publisher, but as for homebrew for all, still unlikely. I bet microsoft will take similar steps if not the first steps towards opening it up by including some minimal support for Xbox360 in an SDK.

I would like to get together and freelance a game for the Wii, try to sell it myself/group over the internet instead of market it in-store, and see if its possible.

steve-b
August 4th, 2006, 18:16
If homebrew wasn't a shady half cousin of piracy, they would have already done it IMHO.

Voltron
August 4th, 2006, 18:23
The GP2X is described as a homebrewers dream. Is it that good?

Honestly, with all of the developments and amazing homebrew releases for the PSP to date, is it even worth it for anyone to buy a GP2X?

If anyone has hands on experience with the GP2X and thinks it is better than the PSP, please post your thoughts.

OR maybe a better question would be what can the GP2X do that the PSP can't?

And about a homebrew enabled console... I don't think it would have the same magic, fun, and excitement that an underground homebrew scene enjoys.

gamesquest1
August 4th, 2006, 18:38
yeah part of the point of homebrew is doing what they say you cant but then some people seem to go a little bit too far and and say yeah and we can rob all your stuff aswell which pisses them off which makes it harder for homebrewers to make there own developments

motz
August 4th, 2006, 18:44
The PS3 is supposed to support Linux, its even supposed to include a dev kit!

JesusXP
August 4th, 2006, 19:05
The PS3 is supposed to support Linux, its even supposed to include a dev kit!

really? link.. (dev kit incluson)

nomi
August 4th, 2006, 19:44
ps3 is supporting homebrew remember! i remember i read a article which stated that ps3 will support homebrew for devs and you can sell it online or sumthin for 10 cents or sumthin.

jwilds73
August 4th, 2006, 19:58
Does that mean I can make ISO's of my PSP games and play them on the PS3? Ok that is sarcasm but I really wish they would've included a UMD drive on the system I hope they make a attachment or atleast a UMD console similar to the PS One.

10shu
August 4th, 2006, 19:59
I do not beleave sony, microsoft or nintendo will support homebrew anytime soon...most of homebrew are illegal!!!

For exemple BOR MOD, MARIOWAR, SMASHBRO, etc... all use ripped sprite from commercial games...

Emulator use ROM and BIOS ripped from there original format

they do not wan t to have to deal with those copyright issue

it s just to dodgy...

Accordion
August 4th, 2006, 20:11
homebrew yes
emulators...not officially....

by the way, sony has been most supporting, just not very public, remember the net yaroze... or Yabasic on ps2, and even the ps2 linux kit...

knblh
August 4th, 2006, 20:21
I personaly think majorty rule. I think a petition for one get a load of signatures and send to companies. Another idea which involves the petition would be to contact newspapers with this petition. Even local papers can draw attention, especially as i said with loads of signatures. An example of an online petition is the one pink started about KFC, personaly i think shes wrong cause KFC is lush lol but used her as an example.

Also an idea would be a group name, e.g. green party lol but you get the idea. A name bands people together. I have a few other ideas for what to do, but wont bore you all with them incase everyone thinks the ideas above are rubbish lol

Cheers
Bri

A Logo is another idea if starting a group name because a symbol is the first thing people look at.

drew4237
August 4th, 2006, 20:24
i already have a psp for hombrew. the only thing i wish i could have is a full speed n64 emu but with the ps3 it would allow it with all of the hardware specs.

ACID
August 4th, 2006, 20:35
Well they might not support it straight out but look at xbox it has somany homebrew apps and emulators. Microsoft has really not done much to stop this really it helps them sell there counsil. And thats what they want.

knblh
August 4th, 2006, 20:37
I think another thing to think about is if people were to get intouch with these companies then it would proberly be best off not mentioning N64 emu's, GBA emu's and such lol

no way would nintendo allow sony to have n64 emu's on there machines. I would personaly put it across as creating homebrew games for personal use and freeware, no profit stuff. otherwise they'll sell a dev kit with the machines lol jk

Bri

knblh
August 4th, 2006, 20:40
yeah i agree with acidburn05 Sony are taking the P with there security patches and such. Really at the end of the day they should be happy there selling there handhelds. No matter what happens people are always going to use loop holes etc to exploit consoles. yet on the other hand people will always buy a game that they like. So really allowing homebrew on machines would force dev's to make better games rather than knocking out some rubbish copy they have spent 2 months banging together lol

Just an idea

N1ghtshade
August 4th, 2006, 20:42
It makes commercial sense...homebrew is the only reason I bought a psp

Video_freak
August 4th, 2006, 21:12
me too! :D

PSmonkey
August 4th, 2006, 21:18
Truthfuly sony has been the biggest suporter of homebrew developers. Both with the ps2 linux kit & the ps1 yet..(cant remember full name). I have no dout in my mind sony would have done the same for psp if it was not hacked still.

T-2000
August 4th, 2006, 21:36
The GP2X is described as a homebrewers dream. Is it that good?

Honestly, with all of the developments and amazing homebrew releases for the PSP to date, is it even worth it for anyone to buy a GP2X?

If anyone has hands on experience with the GP2X and thinks it is better than the PSP, please post your thoughts.

OR maybe a better question would be what can the GP2X do that the PSP can't?

And about a homebrew enabled console... I don't think it would have the same magic, fun, and excitement that an underground homebrew scene enjoys.

the Gp2x is superior for homebrew than Psp, ive had a psp for a long time and i sold it to get a Gp2x mainly cause i not to bothered about hyped up commercial titles, trying to load iso crap and stuff, even mame runs better on the gp2 plus u not got anybody forcing upgrades to stop you doing stuff on your handheld.. plus movies can be played in Divx format.. oh and what ever is available for one, is normally there for the other..

felonyr301
August 4th, 2006, 21:43
but the question is it better than the psp in homebrew as of right now cause last time i remember gp2x has alot of stuff running slower than the psp counterparts (emulators and such).

Vega
August 4th, 2006, 22:56

What can we as a community do to get the big companies to open a door on their consoles or even get them to release a homebrew dev kit of sorts and a way to play legally on their systems without modding etc.

Anyone got a comment or ideas ?

Really, why would companies want to waste money? Homebrew is great, however when the big 3 are getting money from respectable 3rd party companies, you can hardly expect them to release dev kits. Sony will have this well sussed after the shambles which is "PSP Firmware". As much as i would like to see homebrew on a big console... it is actually a laughable concept. Bring back sega dreamcast.

10shu
August 4th, 2006, 23:32

actually they make money from the games they sell not the hardware...

so it make no commercial sense to allow people to devellop an emulator than can play all CPS2 games when they can sell then one by one...

techno-devil
August 4th, 2006, 23:37
I read´ something a few days ago,
Bill Gates actually shwed some interest in, PSP-homebrew.

So maybe, microsoft will make a handheld, that supports homebrew. It sounds cool to me:)

NoQuarter
August 5th, 2006, 00:40
The big system developers will not be be able to hold out much longer as the psp whether officially supported or not has shown there to be an actual market for homebrew.What they need is more open minded execs,if not the numbers will take care of it for us!

trebulator
August 5th, 2006, 04:45
IMO, I think if they set up a sort of "homebrew submission/points system" with a dev kit it would be really profitable. Example:
1.You develop the game with a bought devkit [either one for people who don't feel like learning code, with precoded commands, gamestyles, physics/mechanics, etc... and a Prokit with tutorials for those who want to code without limitations].
2. You need this kit to run homebrew.
3.Devkit comes with a tester, so you can correct bugs etc, then once you're ready to distribute it, you send out the compiled program to [insert VG company here] and they give you 100 points or something.
4. You buy homebrew games for 25 prepaid/earned points. You're able to see ratings, downloads, etc. of the game.
5. If you buy the game, you're intitled to free updates from the user.
6. You have to rate the game after 1 hour of gameplay.
7. Developer gets 1 additional point for every 20 downloads, or something of that sort.

I think a point system a-la-360 for homebrew would work, and be very profitable. This game company can always get to 3rd party companies and grant rights for sprites in their devkits, and with every game at a database they can easily weed out illegally made games/apps, which they could then send warning strikes for the developer [and if the dev has like, say 3 stikes, they'd be banned from use of the software].

The_Lead_Factor
August 5th, 2006, 05:42
Whichever next gen console supports homebrew, thats the one thats gona sell the most.

ExcruciationX
August 5th, 2006, 05:59
There is no money in it for them. They would rather sell games for 49.99, then have homebrew, which they get no money for. And I would think that Gates had one too many if he considered that!

NoQuarter
August 5th, 2006, 06:53
I don't know if I like the idea of selling homebrew,but definitly an intersting idea trebulator.It's simply put free vs nonfree while the free(homebrew) may not have the complexity of nonfree(official games)their complexity is on the rise and constantly improved if the current homebrew trend continues nonfree simply can't win,time scale is the only issue.Just look how many people have been introduced to programming by the psp homebrew scene.
All you have to do is look at the opensource movement as a whole(which homebrew is a part of)and you will see the numbers only grow and the software produced only gets better.
It's part of a movement to a free market based on information exchange not the fake free market crreated by orthodox capatilism which only breeds "rule by the rich".
note I said "othodox" as the free market I dream of is like capitalism or is a form of.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
August 5th, 2006, 21:24
what does homebrew really mean though? the majority of the homebrew umbrela is comprised of jacked sprites and games being ported on systems they dont belong on. very rarely do people make real games. When they do they are rip offs of older games like "_________ tetris" and im sure you cant even use that word. And I doubt bill gates said that. Maybe you misunderstood a article by some loser named Dill Gates or Will Gates? Either way he doesnt own sony. and the closer you get to h-bru the easier it gets to put a system on your laptop which kills the console. h-bru is a dumbed down Pandora.. and of course you all being in favor is an obvious conflict of interests. the day they gave you a kit would be the day the inmates served on the parole boards..

and what is a gspx? or gs2x? give me pics and details :confused:

Dickhead
August 6th, 2006, 18:31
Homebrew means programs that are created at home, We should really call it PD (public domain!!!!). PD and Homebrew should be free for all to access and use. When a system uses any code that can be run without any control it gets very hard to control what people produce and place online.