PDA

View Full Version : Question about the PC games ports

Starkiller
June 7th, 2010, 17:55
Hey everyone, I have a very simple question : a bunch of great FPS games from the 1990's have been ported to the DS (Quake, Quake II, Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Rise of The Triad...) but some of them can crash sometimes (Doom crashes quite often while loading/saving games, Hexen can crash while saving, Rise of The Triad crashes on the second level of the game, and Duke Nukem 3D crashes while saving or going underwater), or be pretty slow (I'm especially thinking of Duke Nukem 3D, which barely runs at something like 5 FPS on most flash cards)

So my question is, would programming these ports in order to enable slot 2 RAM support enable us to make them run faster and (maybe) prevent them from crashing ?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

zauberer
June 9th, 2010, 07:27
It can help since it is more memory, but the Slot-2 extra RAM is slower than the main (NDS itself) memory.

Maybe you did not check but Quake has a version that uses Slot-2 hardware. I think that Quake 2 cannot work without the Slot-2.

Mostly all the time the crashes has to do with the programming and handling of the original files of the PC games.

I hope this helps a little to enlighten the knowledge.