PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010 Thread

Darksaviour69
June 8th, 2010, 11:42
It world cup time, who do you think/want to win

for me Spain, its time they won.

also as a side note American actor woody harrelson scored the winning penalty against England in Sundays Soccer Aid game (England celbs+ex players against the rest of the world). Could that be a prelude to what's going to happen I the USA vs England game?

edit: had to squeeze the last 3 in one option as there is a 30 option limit, still don't think Chile, Honduras, Switzerland will be winning ;)

also you can make you complete predictions on the bbc world cup web site:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/inc/v4/world_cup_2010/wallchart/main.html#p
my predcitions:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/inc/v4/world_cup_2010/wallchart/main.html#p01469bdfjhknorus06419fdbjnkhosur904doju ko9u449uo

mike_jmg
June 8th, 2010, 15:38
Mexico....... yeah right o_O

nah, seriously, I'm with you Darksaviour, I think Spain will win the cup this time.

Thanks for squeezing Mexico into one slot, that means we have more chance than I thought we had. Also, beating the current world champion has to mean something hehe :)

Maturion
June 8th, 2010, 18:07
Germany will win. ;-)

If we won't, we'll at least be in the Top3.

Darksaviour69
June 8th, 2010, 18:37
Germany will win. ;-)

If we won't, we'll at least be in the Top3.

Germany are nearly always in the final a close enough, but they do look weak this year (but that has not stop them before ;) )

Personal I think Germany will make it to the quarter finals, but will be beaten by Argentina

As for Mexico, would love them to top their group (beating France). If they do they should meet England in the quarter finals too.

btw why i hate France?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01526/thierry-henry_1526874c.jpg

Eviltaco64
June 8th, 2010, 19:11
I really don't watch soccer/football. I voted for the United States just for the hell of it. :P

wraggster
June 8th, 2010, 21:58
i can really see the spanish winning it,they have such a quality team, my heart wants england though, and please lets hope the argies and especially portugal get knocked out early

Maturion
June 9th, 2010, 13:53
Don't forget Italy and France. They were pretty good during Euro 2008.

VampDude
June 10th, 2010, 20:22
Zzzzzzzzzzzoccer...

I hate soccer, which I will be happy when England loses and the fans who bought a 52" TV in the hopes of England winning to get it 'FREE' are disappointed because they have to pay for it.

Though Uruguay... Merely for the Homer Simpson reference of when he read it on the globe "Hahaha, look at this country. You are gay." and that's the only reason. :rolleyes:

Darksaviour69
June 11th, 2010, 13:39
I did a pool with a mates (4 teams each, £10, winner takes all),
I got Holland, Uruguay, Slovenia, Honduras. Not great, but could have been worse, a least i did not get England or France ;)

less than 90mins to the first game ;) South Africa v Mexico, Mexico should easily win, but It would be nice to see the host win.

Darksaviour69
June 12th, 2010, 20:23
England 1 ,USA 1 half-time. England unlucky to concede the goal, but USA have played all right, better than I thought

Maturion
June 15th, 2010, 21:10
Germany beat the Aussies 4:0. Nice one. We'll do it. :)

England was disappointing.

Maturion
June 16th, 2010, 16:58
spain lost the match against switzerland. I'd never expected that.

Darksaviour69
June 16th, 2010, 17:39
its been a weird world cup with a awful lack of goals (bar Germany).

France vs UrGay 0-0
England vs USA 1-1
Italy vs Paraguay 1-1
New Zealand vs Slovenia 1-1
and even Brazil weren't great against North Korea 2-1

and now spain beaten by the swiss 0-1

crazy

Shrygue
June 16th, 2010, 20:30
Yeah I was surprised that Brazil didn't get a whole shedload of goals, they usually get quite a few. Maybe they're just not in their best form these days.

VampDude
June 17th, 2010, 13:27
I think the 2010 World Cup is rigged.

Namely to the fact of there not being all the hype of World Cup promotions, where people get something for practically nothing. Something I've never seen before, not on such a big level, which paints the words "DODGY and RIGGED" in big red letters.

If England score goals:

People get money (many companies).

If England win:

FREE £500+ HDTV's to those who purchased them last month, plus £10 back for every goal England scores (Currys).

These companies are selling the World Cup, knowing that the public will blindly buy into it whilst in South Africa the teams aren't scoring many goals. Which leads me to think that a not very good team will win (like Slovenia), hopefully Japan since SONY are partnering with FIFA.

---

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with these stats?

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/vampdude/RIGGED1010111.jpg

Darksaviour69
June 17th, 2010, 15:04
I think you have gone quite mad VampDude, I don't think a company like currys have power to effect a world wide competition that's watched by over 700+ million people!

also Argentina just beat south Korea 4-1 today, loads of goals. But there are a lack of goals so far this year compared to the last world cup, with a lot of people blaming the new ball. Still hopefully we will see more goals as team get used to the ball.

airmahoney
June 17th, 2010, 15:42
i don't have much faith in the us, but they got it in the bag.

VampDude
June 17th, 2010, 20:30
I think you have gone quite mad VampDude, I don't think a company like currys have power to effect a world wide competition that's watched by over 700+ million people!

Not just Currys for the entire competition, think worldwide for all the competing countries and if they are going crazy selling the World Cup as they are here. I think that somewhere along the lines of rigging, something is wrong with the World Cup... I read that there was rigging in the 2006 World Cup also which was linked to large amounts of money being placed through an Asian betting syndicate.

also Argentina just beat south Korea 4-1 today, loads of goals. But there are a lack of goals so far this year compared to the last world cup, with a lot of people blaming the new ball. Still hopefully we will see more goals as team get used to the ball.

The ball story to me, doesn't quite add up (since reading the first reports the other day). Because the teams would have at least tried and tested the ball at some point, as there is a size and weight regulation in every sport that involves balls. I believe there is an official FIFA tournament standard for footballs, meaning that any ball in play has to meet the regulations, also health and safety of the players (if for example kicking the ball is like kicking an object such as a medicine ball).

Law 2: The Ball

The ball shall be spherical; the outer casing shall be of leather or other approved materials. No material shall be used in its construction which might prove dangerous to the players.

The circumference of the ball shall not be more than 28 inches and not less than 27 inches. The weight of the ball at the start of the game shall not be more than 16 ounces nor less than 14 ounces. The pressure shall be equal to 0.6 - 1.1 atmosphere (==600 - 1,100 gr/cm(sq)) at sea level. The ball shall not be changed during the game unless authorized by the referee. (http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~choh/fifa.htm#LAW2)

Maturion
June 24th, 2010, 18:40
Italy is out, France is out. The best teams of 2006...

wraggster
June 24th, 2010, 18:59
you just knew all along that england would meet Germany, should be a good match if both teams turn on the day

Shrygue
June 24th, 2010, 20:18
Man, why is that we have to slug it out against Germany? We'll more likely to get knocked out of the World Cup by them than reach the semi-finals. At least we manage to beat Slovenia yesterday though, I hadn't expected we pull through to here after the poor performance against Algeria.

VampDude
June 24th, 2010, 22:53
Man, why is that we have to slug it out against Germany? We'll more likely to get knocked out of the World Cup by them than reach the semi-finals. At least we manage to beat Slovenia yesterday though, I hadn't expected we pull through to here after the poor performance against Algeria.

I bet for Slovenia to win, the odds at William hill was 6/1 and the odds on 888sports was 7.5/1, which I was so certain for a win. Though of my £20, I got £5 back so I might bet on Germany (since I will not bet on England), the odds are 2.70 for a German win.

I think I'm getting into the World Cup, even though I dislike the sport. But watching the live scores is fun, though currently I'm down £15. :confused:+:cool:

Maturion
June 25th, 2010, 11:38

Oh well, at the moment we're weak, too.

VampDude
June 25th, 2010, 14:21
Oh well, at the moment we're weak, too.

If North Korea wins (9/0 - £5 returning £45), I'm betting on Germany (2/7).

A game for the ages, Germany beating England. :cool:

mike_jmg
June 25th, 2010, 16:51
Mexico is up against Argentina, it can be our revenge but most likely it will be our doom with that awful lineup Aguirre is starting with.

Either way we are watching the game with a sh*tload of beer, win or lose we'll be very drunk

VampDude
June 26th, 2010, 18:25
Mexico is up against Argentina, it can be our revenge but most likely it will be our doom with that awful lineup Aguirre is starting with.

Either way we are watching the game with a sh*tload of beer, win or lose we'll be very drunk

The odds are 6/5 on Mexico winning, I would bet on Argentina.

I've just placed a bet on the USA, because at 2/4 over the 3/1 on Ghana, the USA have the better odds of a return (from what I've seen by the bookmakers odds). :cool:

mike_jmg
June 27th, 2010, 06:26
Ghana left USA out, LOL
I placed a bet on Mexico for tomorrow's game, the odds are 4 to 1, so I bet $200 mxn, returning $800 mxn

$1 usd = $12.70 mxn
1 quid = $20.00 or so mxn

VampDude
June 27th, 2010, 15:50
1 quid = $20.00 or so mxn

Haha, quid isn't a currency. :rofl:

It's a slang term used for pounds. ;)

Ghana left USA out, LOL
I placed a bet on Mexico for tomorrow's game, the odds are 4 to 1, so I bet $200 mxn, returning $800 mxn

Your bookmaker is giving lower odds, the one I use is giving 6/5 for Mexico... Which I may place a bet, depending on the outcome of the current match. I bet on England, originally aimed at betting on Germany, fearful of the same occurrence of when I bet on Slovenia (I may have been wrong in my mind change). :eek:

Two more goals, staying ahead of the Germans will ensure a bet on either Argentina or Mexico. :cool:

Maturion
June 27th, 2010, 19:42
Germany bet England 4:1, although it should have been 4:2. :thumbup:

VampDude
June 27th, 2010, 20:45
My bet was originally on Germany, but I had doubts due to the previous England match...

But awesome, Germany won. I'm not even the remotest upset about losing my bet, because the hopes and dreams of those who truly support England as a team have had their dreams shattered. :p

My next bet will definitely be German, because they will beat Argentina in the next match. Ghana will beat Uruguay, but my betting cannot determine whether Germany will beat Ghana to face Brazil who I've estimated will be the in the final (they're facing easy teams). :cool:

wraggster
June 27th, 2010, 22:45
well the english team played rubbish, great as they are they do not play as a team, why we cant play as a true team mystifies me,

i can see argentina or spain winning the world cup

VampDude
June 28th, 2010, 01:05
i can see argentina or spain winning the world cup

Germany or Brazil, because Germany will do good.

mike_jmg
June 28th, 2010, 23:17
Haha, quid isn't a currency. :rofl:

It's a slang term used for pounds. ;)

LOL, I had no idea, I'll say pounds in the future.:D

Mexico lost in a very awful unusual way, as always.

I only hope Germany will kick Argentina out like the last time:cool::thumbup:.

VampDude
June 28th, 2010, 23:52
Mexico lost in a very awful unusual way, as always.

Very, luckily I didn't bet due to my previous loss. :p

I only hope Germany will kick Argentina out like the last time:cool::thumbup:.

Germany will, which they will get my bet as Brazil did tonight for their 3-0 win. :cool:

Usually, I only bet £5 each time but I was feeling a bit of "what the hell" and went with the full £10 to begin winning back my losses. :thumbup:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n304/vampdude/WorldCup2010_Brazil-Chile_280610.png

Maturion
July 3rd, 2010, 20:03
Netherlands kicked out Brazil. 2:1

Germany played a crazy game, they won 4:0 against Argentina.

WhizzBang
July 3rd, 2010, 21:22
Fantastic game from Germany - they have to look like favourites now. I would like to see the Netherlands go further too.

Maturion
July 4th, 2010, 14:07
I hope the finals are Germany - Netherlands. :)

mike_jmg
July 5th, 2010, 05:38
yep, Germany - Netherlands for the finals